• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

Random Stuff From Your Neck O' The Woods

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score
I see this building every day. I didn't give it much thought, thought perhaps it was an islamic school...
1619746464339.png

It's not - it's a mansion belonging to the Harilela family, one of the wealthiest Indian families in Hong Kong. About 100 members of the extended family live in separate apartments in the complex, along with staff.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Unplanned walk in the mountains today on a wonderously bright day. This is the part of Bukhansan (a mountain) that is actually in Seoul. I'm moving into the capital in a month or two, so I'm happy to say I'll be seeing more of the place.

SmartSelect_20210502-210020_Gallery.jpgSmartSelect_20210502-205958_Gallery.jpgSmartSelect_20210502-205918_Gallery.jpg

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
What are those big urns? Are they funerary urns?
Beautiful place.
Moving to the capital - so, you'll soon be a 'Seoul man'?
No, they're kimchi jars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onggi

In the days before refrigeration, they'd sit outside or be buried in the winter, but they generally aid fermentation and are a very common sight.

Lots of detail here:
https://www.korea.net/NewsFocus/Culture/view?articleId=119629

Seoul? It's worse than that, I've somehow managed to sign a contract for a place in Gangnam!

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The U.S. birth rate has fallen to its lowest level in 50 years.

In the U.S. more people are dying than being born.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The Brookings Institute is trying to find out why the birth rate is way down in the U.S.

Some of the theories toss around

Women are afraid to have a baby during the covid.

Women understand birth control better.

Things are too expensive and money is scarce.

Women feel that the future is too precarious.

Negative birth rate is not good for a country, so this trend is bad.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
It is predicted that the Chinese rocket will fall at 3 A.M this Saturday U.S. eastern daylight savings time.

Airline companies claim it would be rare if a plane got hit.

Then again the Titanic would not sink.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
It's been a good while since I've seen a warning like this: in force all over the country since last night owing to 'Yellow Dust' blowing over from China. In terms of 'numbers', I'm not sure I've ever seen it so bad. My kitchen window looks down over some gardens onto a busy thoroughfare and there's literally nobody outside on foot.

Screenshot 2021-05-08 at 5.51.16 PM.png

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Your chances of being killed by space debris is 1 in 22 trillion according to the internet.
But if that applies individually to each of the 7 billion humans on this planet, the odds of someone getting hit are much larger. Add to that the possibility of such debris hitting something man-made, such as a building or vehicle, and... well, we can probably still sleep soundly in our beds.

Then again, the strangely specific odds you quoted possibly don't take into account this latest large object recklessly plonked into a decaying orbit by the Chinese space agency. Watch the skies, and get ready to duck!