• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Rapid / Record Drinking (Of Alcoholic Beverages)

Ogdred Weary

ᛟᛒᛊᛏᛁᚾᚨᛏᛖ ᚲᛁᛗᚱᛁᚲ
(This tangential discussion was spun off from the "Happiest Day Of My Life" thread.)

This story prodded me into creating a new thread for those people that manage to have something unusual that makes them comment "It was the happiest day of my life".
This chap dressed as a pint of beer and ran the London Marathon, becoming the 'fastest pint of beer'.

https://planetradio.co.uk/hallam/local/news/former-sheffield-nurse-breaks-world-record/

I could neck a pint in one thousandth of that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could neck a pint in one thousandth of that time.
In the UK, the average marathon finish time was 4:37:09. which is 277 minutes & 9 seconds, which is 16,629 seconds, so 1/1000 is 16.629 seconds.
Doesn't seem beyond the realms of possibility that you could neck a pint in about 16 seconds.
I'd like to see that.
It'd be 'the happiest day of my life'!

In the UK, the average marathon finish time was 4:37:09. which is 277 minutes & 9 seconds, which is 16,629 seconds, so 1/1000 is 16.629 seconds.
Doesn't seem beyond the realms of possibility that you could neck a pint in about 16 seconds.
I'd like to see that.
It'd be 'the happiest day of my life'!

I nearly said "one ten thousandth" but couldn't be bothered to do the maths. 1.6 seconds is doable, not by me, but no doubt many could.

That can't be right. Records for larger volumes are (or were) much quicker than that: The names you need to know are Steven Petrocino (US) who holds the one litre world record at 1.3 seconds, beating Peter Dowdeswell (UK) who drank two pints in 2.3 seconds a few years earlier.

Both records were set in the 70s and both were recognised by Guinness World Records - until they withdrew records for alcohol consumption.

oxo

That can't be right. Records for larger volumes are (or were) much quicker than that: The names you need to know are Steven Petrocino (US) who holds the one litre world record at 1.3 seconds, beating Peter Dowdeswell (UK) who drank two pints in 2.3 seconds a few years earlier.

Both records were set in the 70s and both were recognised by Guinness World Records - until they withdrew records for alcohol consumption.

oxo

I thought it seemed long and assumed the record would be 1-2 seconds or thereabouts, was also sceptical about Guinness (ironically) doing records for quick boozing.

What on earth... Did he put a massive funnel down his oesophagus and pour it in? It seems phsyically impossible. :omg:

I know you're talking about volume, but considering the strength of spirits in comparison.....

https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/1...ed-drinking-bottle-jack-daniels-five-seconds/
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/video-man-drinks-entire-bottle-7719688

There's quite a few of these cases about once you start looking.
The second guy somehow didn't even die.

What on earth... Did he put a massive funnel down his oesophagus and pour it in? It seems phsyically impossible. :omg:
Pretty much, but without the funnel - that would have slowed the beer down.

I couldn't find any videos of him downing a litre but did see one of him necking a smaller glassful. The technique seems to be to simply to pour the glass's contents down the throat.
This page has Peter Dowdeswell's records: Record Holders Republic including 0.45 sec for a pint of beer.

I know you're talking about volume, but considering the strength of spirits in comparison.....

https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/1...ed-drinking-bottle-jack-daniels-five-seconds/
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/video-man-drinks-entire-bottle-7719688

There's quite a few of these cases about once you start looking.
The second guy somehow didn't even die.
I believe necking an entire 70cl bottle of 40% spirits in one go is called 'skulling' in some mad bastard circles.

When I went to college in Nuneaton, my landlady took me and a friend to a bar in town that had recently, I later found out, (then) stupidly served a pint cocktail of a shot of every spirit they sold to some lad in the one pint glass. He died, there was an inquest which caused the law to be changed so it couldn't legally happen again. Someone outside ran past the place the night I was there and threw a brick through the window, presumably as an act of revenge. I was amazed that they hadn't been shut down.

There's the recent example of Mukovhe Rasethana - the 23-year-old South African who downed an entire bottle of Jaegermeister in 2 minutes and immediately died:
A South African man chugged an entire bottle of Jaegermeister to win a bet / challenge worth £10. He was transported to a local clinic, where he was pronounced dead.
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/great-acts-of-stupidity.10939/post-2192862

Such rapid alcohol intake stunts need careful preparation to be reliably survived. As I noted back in July ...

Back in the Seventies I was a road musician in the resort region of northern Minnesota (an area where drinking was the #1 pastime).

At one of our primary bar venues I met a young local lady whose sideline was performing this sort of stunt (with fifths of brandy) for bets a lot bigger than the mere £10 involved in the South African incident. She'd waltz into a bar full of festive vacationers, chat up the clientele, and brag that she could down a fifth of California brandy in one extended chug-a-lug. This reliably drew incredulity and bets from the night's customers. Her male accomplice would set the stage, the bartender would hold the "purse", and she'd perform the stunt as promised. Immediately following its completion her boyfriend(?) would usher (more like "carry") her out the door with the money.

She was relatively small and thin, so I had to ask her how she managed to survive. She told me there were two critical elements in pulling off the stunt. The first was packing her gut with starchy carbs to absorb the alcohol and slow the absorption rate. The second was to pass out ASAP so her accomplice could remove her to a safe place to sleep for the next 12 - 24 hours (minimum).

I believe necking an entire 70cl bottle of 40% spirits in one go is called 'skulling' in some mad bastard circles.

When I went to college in Nuneaton, my landlady took me and a friend to a bar in town that had recently, I later found out, (then) stupidly served a pint cocktail of a shot of every spirit they sold to some lad in the one pint glass. He died, there was an inquest which caused the law to be changed so it couldn't legally happen again. Someone outside ran past the place the night I was there and threw a brick through the window, presumably as an act of revenge. I was amazed that they hadn't been shut down.

Do you remember when it happened? I recall stories in the late 90s - which I assumed were true at the time, of people being bought a pint of assorted shots for their birthday, I didn't believe that anyone actually downed it though.

There's the recent example of Mukovhe Rasethana - the 23-year-old South African who downed an entire bottle of Jaegermeister in 2 minutes and immediately died:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/great-acts-of-stupidity.10939/post-2192862

Such rapid alcohol intake stunts need careful preparation to be reliably survived. As I noted back in July ...

Back in the Seventies I was a road musician in the resort region of northern Minnesota (an area where drinking was the #1 pastime).

At one of our primary bar venues I met a young local lady whose sideline was performing this sort of stunt (with fifths of brandy) for bets a lot bigger than the mere £10 involved in the South African incident. She'd waltz into a bar full of festive vacationers, chat up the clientele, and brag that she could down a fifth of California brandy in one extended chug-a-lug. This reliably drew incredulity and bets from the night's customers. Her male accomplice would set the stage, the bartender would hold the "purse", and she'd perform the stunt as promised. Immediately following its completion her boyfriend(?) would usher (more like "carry") her out the door with the money.

She was relatively small and thin, so I had to ask her how she managed to survive. She told me there were two critical elements in pulling off the stunt. The first was packing her gut with starchy carbs to absorb the alcohol and slow the absorption rate. The second was to pass out ASAP so her accomplice could remove her to a safe place to sleep for the next 12 - 24 hours (minimum).

Wouldn't throwing it up be a better way of dealing with it?

My elder Brother can do it. It's like he can open his throat, and he just pours it down.

I can't remember what his record is but it's well under 3 seconds. I'm seeing him on Saturday, so I'll ask him.

My elder Brother can do it. It's like he can open his throat, and he just pours it down.

I can't remember what his record is but it's well under 3 seconds. I'm seeing him on Saturday, so I'll ask him.

Get him to do it, film in on your phone and post it here.

I'll shout "CHUG! CHUG! CHUG!" at my computer.

Get him to do it, film in on your phone and post it here.

I'll shout "CHUG! CHUG! CHUG!" at my computer.

Actually, my brother texted me last night to say he won’t be able to make it on Saturday, so I won’t be able to film him.

Would have been the perfect opportunity to see him neck a pint as well, as Orient are at home to Northampton so the beers would have been flying down anyway.

I’ll get him at some stage though and will film his party piece and upload lol

Back