• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Rare Ibis Shows Up In Blackpool

evilsprout

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_699534.html

Rare bald ibis bird found in Blackpool

One of the world's rarest birds has been found strutting along the promenade in Blackpool.

The northern bald ibis was spotted by a couple on holiday.

Experts are baffled how the bird, which is 18inches high with a 3ft wingspan and a 7in bill, reached the seaside town.

The Sun says the northern bald ibis once lived in the Alps, but disappeared 400 years ago.

It's now listed as "critically endangered" with only 220 left in the wild and all live on a reserve in Morocco.

Most of those in captivity are in Britain, where they prefer the breeding conditions, but neither Blackpool Zoo nor Chester Zoo are missing any.

Chris Bowden, of the RSPB, said: "I suppose it could have flown from Morocco, which would explain why it was so tired."

But Nigel Fowler, looking after it at the Three Owls Bird Sanctuary, in Rochdale, said: "We reckon it has either escaped from a private collector or was being smuggled in."

He joked: "Or perhaps it just wanted to see Blackpool's illuminations."

I saw this story on Newsround this afternoon (don't laugh - I've been babysitting, alright?). They said it had escaped from a nearby zoo (I didn't hear if they mentioned which one) when the weekend's storms blew the mesh covering off the top of its enclosure. They also mentioned the nice detail that the bird's temporary home has been equiped with mirrors so that it won't feel lonely.

Jane.

No idea if it's the zoo in question, but I remember as a child in the 70's going to Blackpool zoo. You'd expect them to realise that something as large as an ibis was missing though well before Newsround found out.

That's one freaky looking beak. It looks like it's wearing a Venetian carnival mask, or like something from an H Bosch painting. Why haven't they done a beany baby of that then?:rolleyes:

beakboo said:
That's one freaky looking beak. It looks like it's wearing a Venetian carnival mask, or like something from an H Bosch painting.

I dunno, I've dated worse.

"Sh'ma Yisroel!"

Sorry, wrong place. I thought it said Rabbis show up in Blackpool. :(

Back