• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Rats Emulating Squirrel Acrobatics (In Raiding Feeders, Etc.)

A

Anonymous

Don't know if this is very 'Crypto...' It's based on behaviour of already-known animals. Feel free to move it, mod-types.

Ok. So it's a 'well known fact' that squirrels do 'ingenious' things to get at bird food in gardens. Lots of wildlife documentaries and averts have been made with this premise in mind. However, I have recently been witness to rats exhibiting the same behaviour.

In my mother's back garden (which is located in a rural British location), there is a bird-feeder, accompanied by two 'Fat-balls', hung from the top of a decorative metal frame for growing plants up. This stands about six feet in height, and is a good three feet from the garden boundary, which is marked out by a six-foot stone wall, covered in ivy.

On a number of occasions, my mother, her neighbour, and now myself have observed the following. A large, adult male Brown Rat (Clearly distinguishable from either species of squirrel in the country) emerges from the ivy at the top of the wall (having presumably climbed up it from ground level). He waits for a moment, as if readying himself, then leaps across to the metal plant-tower-thing. Using his limbs and semi-prehensile tail to grip it, he manouvers himself to directly above the feeder and fat-balls, then lowers himself down, hanging on by his back feet and balancing with his tail, to the food. He then eats his fill, clambers back up to the top and leaps off into the ivy again.

Thhis is the first time I have seen this particular behaviour in a rat, though from years of looking after domesticated fancy rats, I know they do appear to have an ability to improvise.

Any other death-defying/promlem solving rat anecdotes out there?

You could always buy your mother an airgun for her birthday. ;)

Rats and squirrels are physically so similar that I have to check the tail when a cat brings me one to know for sure what he's got. (We have big rats around here!) Both are rodents and they have similar equipment in their teeth and paws. Rats are moreover excellent problem solvers, which is why they're used for so much psych testing. They are also omnivores with highly advanced scavenging behavior.

If you make food sources available, you'll be amazed at the resourcefulness all sorts of animals demonstrate in accessing it. After all, they don't have an internet to distract them!

This rat might be in training for a career in the military. Vid at link.

Acrobatic rat climbs washing line for food

A rat with rather impressive acrobatic skills has been filmed scaling a washing line to get to some bird feeders.

Melissa Paterson, 26, spotted the tightrope-walking rodent in her Norfolk garden early one July morning. She said it had been in and out of her garden for a while working out how to reach the feeders. They were moved to the clothes line after it successfully scaled a bird feeder pole.

"I've never seen one scale a washing line like it's walking a tightrope," Ms Paterson said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-57826515

My rats up the back garden are clever little oiks and appear to teach the young 'uns how to do the death defying leap from pole to the feeding cages . Very amusing to watch them at it.

Back