• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ray Harryhausen

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
www.imdb.com/name/nm0366063/

He is one of those people I would automatically assumed had shuffled off this mortal coil a long time ago so its nice to see he is back in the UK next month at Memorabilia and I may get a viewing of him:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21350

I suppose my very favourite film of his must be Jason and the Argonauts - sheer class.

----------------
I had a nose around and there are some good books on him (one out soon):

The Art of Ray Harryhausen
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/18451 ... ntmagaz-21

Ray Harryhausen: An Animated Life
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/18541 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1854109 ... enantmc-20
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/08230 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0823084 ... enantmc-20

The Dinosaur Films of Ray Harryhausen: Features, Early 16mm Experiments and Unrealized Projects
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/07864 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0786416 ... enantmc-20

---
And some nifty boxsets (mainly R1 but some are, I believe, scheduled for an R2 UK release):

The Fantastic Films of Ray Harryhausen - Legendary Science Fiction Series (It Came from Beneath the Sea / Earth vs. the Flying Saucers / 20 Million Miles to Earth / Mysterious Island / H.G. Wells' First Men in the Moon)
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0006 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00062I ... enantmc-20

The Fantastic Films of Ray Harryhausen - Legendary Monster Series (Jason and the Argonauts / The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad / The Golden Voyage of Sinbad / Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger / The 3 Worlds of Gulliver)
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00069L ... enantmc-20

Ray Harryhausen: The Early Years Collection
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00079R ... enantmc-20

Harryhausen Chronicles
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000068 ... enantmc-20

------------
See also:

Sinbad;
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23457

From that it appears his current project is a series of short films based on the work of Poe:

July 25: Ray Harryhausen explores world of Poe

During their Q&A session at Montreal’s Fantasia festival yesterday, special FX wizard Ray Harryhausen and his producing partner Arnold R. Kunert revealed that the Ray Harryhausen Presents company is currently working on a series of shorts adapted from the works of Edgar Allan Poe. Harryhausen will executive-produce and oversee the minimovies, which will feature traditionally stop-motion-animated characters “performing” against computer-generated backdrops. Kunert told Fango that the first of the shorts, based on Poe’s “Pit and the Pendulum,” is already in the works. Look for more updates on this exciting project very soon. —Michael Gingold

www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=4419

December 16, 2005

Ray Harryhausen Presents The Pit And The Pendulum: Trailer Online!

(Posted In Animation Film News Trailer Alert USA and Canada )

pit.jpgRay Harryhausen may have retired from directing films but that certainly doesn't mean he hasn't found other ways to be involved. The legendary stop motion animator has signed on as an executive producer for and adaptation of Poe's The Pit and the Pendulum, directed by Marc Lougee. A trailer for the short has turned up online and it definitely bears signs of the master's influence ...

The Pit and The Pendulum Website
The Pit and The Pendulum Trailer (downloadable Quicktime)

www.twitchfilm.net/archives/004532.html

www.thepitandthependulumshortfilm.com

Mighty_Emperor said:

This will be available in the US now too:

January 5: New Harryhausen book debuts in March

Here’s an advance peek at the cover of Billboard Books’ upcoming gargantuan coffee-table book THE ART OF RAY HARRYHAUSEN, a companion to 2004’s best-selling RAY HARRYHAUSEN: AN ANIMATED LIFE. The focus of the new tome, authored by Harryhausen and previous collaborator Tony Dalton, will be the vast horde of artwork preserved by the godfather of special FX. Among the 286 color and black-and-white illustrations from Harryhausen’s legendary work will be preliminary sketches and elaborate drawings of key movie scenes, carefully plotted storyboards and photos of the maestro’s tiny, elaborately articulated bronze models. The $50 hardcover, due in March, will also boast never-before-seen concept sketches and production drawings from such beloved films as THE 7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD, JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS, CLASH OF THE TITANS, VALLEY OF GWANGI, etc., plus frame-by-frame deconstructions of how the groundbreaking stop-motion FX were achieved. In addition, THE ART OF RAY HARRYHAUSEN will sport a foreword by Harryhausen fan Peter (KING KONG) Jackson and essays by the 85-year-old genius on his craft. Harryhausen will be touring the U.S. in support of his latest literary effort this spring. —Tony Timpone

www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=5351

I've had a chance to look through it and its a fantastic volume.

Mighty_Emperor said:
Mighty_Emperor said:

This will be available in the US now too:

January 5: New Harryhausen book debuts in March

Here’s an advance peek at the cover of Billboard Books’ upcoming gargantuan coffee-table book THE ART OF RAY HARRYHAUSEN, a companion to 2004’s best-selling RAY HARRYHAUSEN: AN ANIMATED LIFE. The focus of the new tome, authored by Harryhausen and previous collaborator Tony Dalton, will be the vast horde of artwork preserved by the godfather of special FX. Among the 286 color and black-and-white illustrations from Harryhausen’s legendary work will be preliminary sketches and elaborate drawings of key movie scenes, carefully plotted storyboards and photos of the maestro’s tiny, elaborately articulated bronze models. The $50 hardcover, due in March, will also boast never-before-seen concept sketches and production drawings from such beloved films as THE 7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD, JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS, CLASH OF THE TITANS, VALLEY OF GWANGI, etc., plus frame-by-frame deconstructions of how the groundbreaking stop-motion FX were achieved. In addition, THE ART OF RAY HARRYHAUSEN will sport a foreword by Harryhausen fan Peter (KING KONG) Jackson and essays by the 85-year-old genius on his craft. Harryhausen will be touring the U.S. in support of his latest literary effort this spring. —Tony Timpone

www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=5351

I've had a chance to look through it and its a fantastic volume.

It is indeed a brilliant book. There is some fantastic artwork in it.

The book is indeed great - nice to see info about all the lost projects over the years - Force of the Trojans, The Deluge, The Satyr...

My hero. And a nice man to boot. No, don't boot him. Made a career out of doing the same FX shot over and over again. Genius. In a bottle.

MrRING said:
The book is indeed great - nice to see info about all the lost projects over the years - Force of the Trojans, The Deluge, The Satyr...

:) The projects that never made it to the screen were the parts that I found fascinating. So many ideas, sketches and blueprints that never quite made it and these inclusions in the book make it worthwhile tracking down if you're a Harryhausen fan or a film fan in general, plus the book is well presented too.

As an aside, I managed to find a similarly luscious book over Christmas at a book fair on Ray's mate, another Ray - Bradbury in this case

Bradbury - An Illustrated Life

Also worth tracking down if you're a fan or if you liked The Art of Ray Harryhausen.

The Three Worlds of Gulliver

Wednesday, 15 February

Channel 4: 10:10 - 12:00

Fantasy adventure starring Kervin Mathews and June Thorburn and featuring special effects by Ray Harryhausen. Shipwrecked sailor Lemuel Gulliver ends up in a strange land where the inhabitants are only six-inches tall.

LINK
New Harryhausen Movies Due

Legendary visual-effects pioneer Ray Harryhausen's unproduced works may see the light of day now that independent production company Mindfire Entertainment has optioned the material for films, Mindfire's chief executive officer, Mark Altman, told SCI FI Wire. "We respect Ray Harryhausen," Altman said in an interview. "So when the opportunity came to get involved, it just seemed like a natural fit. To finally see these things come to the screen is very exciting."

The deal with Mindfire allows for four films to be made under the "Ray Harryhausen Presents" banner and will draw on ideas Harryhausen has had over the years for new Sinbad, Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans movies, as well as a science fiction concept called The Elementals. The deal also includes projects that have "lost world" and "alien invasion" themes. (Mindfire is best known for inexpensive independent genre films such as House of the Dead and Room 6, as well as the theatrical releases Free Enterprise and The Specials.)

"Some of [Harryhausen's] ideas were extremely well thought out," Altman said. "Others are just log lines and notions that Ray was noodling over. Our writers will expand upon these concepts, in consort with Ray, into full stories."

Altman said that the deal initially allows for four films, but could go beyond that number. Altman added that Harryhausen will be actively involved in the development of stories and will oversee special effects. "What he did for his films in the past is what he will bring to his films in the future," Altman said. "It will be Dynarama for a new era. We suspect that a lot of the effects for these films will be done in CGI, but they will contain a feel that will be true to the classic Dynarama process." Altman said that the first film will most likely be shot this fall and will be released sometime in 2007.

Harryhausen is known for his groundbreaking visual effects in films such as Mysterious Island, Jason and the Argonauts, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad and Clash of the Titans. In 1992, Harryhausen received the Gordon E. Sawyer Award from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, presented to an individual in the motion-picture industry whose technological contributions have brought credit to the industry.

In related news, Harryhausen will be working in a consultant capacity with San Diego-based Legend Films on the colorization of director Merian C. Cooper's 1935 film version of H. Rider Haggard's novel She. Harryhausen has also signed a contract with U.K.-based trading-card company Strictly Ink to put out a series of trading cards featuring images from his films, as well as preproduction art. No release date for the card set has been announced.

Mindfire's Site

He is without doubt, the only reason I am in the line of work / life I am today.... people talk about early or heavily impacted memories, I can still clearly remember sitting in the lounge at home aged about 5 and The 7th Voyage of Sinbad was shown on TV one wet autumn afternoon....

After seeing the sequence with the fighting skeletons in it, I can surely say I was never the same again....

A true master...

Blu-ray trilogy coming in June...

024-26_SINBAD_TRILOGY_3D_72dpi_1300px_tall_transp.png

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
• Restored from the original negatives
• Mono and 5.1 surround sound audio options
• The 7th Voyage of Sinbad audio commentary with Ray Harryhausen
• Previously unreleased audio interviews with Ray Harryhausen and producer Charles H. Schneer
• New interviews with actors Tom Baker, Caroline Munro and Jane Seymour
• New interview with SFX maestro Phil Tippett
• Original Super 8 cut-down versions
• Archival documentaries, interviews and featurettes
• Original trailers and promotional films
• Isolated scores by Bernard Herrmann, Miklós Rózsa and Roy Budd
• Promotional and on-set photography, poster art and archive materials
• Box set exclusive 80-page book with new essays, and film credits
• Limited edition box set of 6,000
...AND MORE TO BE ANNOUNCED!

http://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/product/the-sinbad-trilogy-dfe

Tempting, but at 40-ish quid it isn't cheap.

I am desperately trying to find a store that sells Earth VS The Flying Saucers (I don't want to buy online, as security concerns, um, concern me), but no luck so far!

I am desperately trying to find a store that sells Earth VS The Flying Saucers (I don't want to buy online, as security concerns, um, concern me), but no luck so far!
The DVD of this is due out in early December, along with It Came From Beneath The Sea and The Three Worlds Of Gulliver...

Lost projects of Ray Harryhausen revealed
Titan of mythology movies left behind a treasure trove of ideas
Lost and rare material from master animator Ray Harryhausen could now inspire a new film epic years after his death
Dalya Alberge
Sun 21 Jul 2019 07.00 BSTLast modified on Mon 22 Jul 2019 10.59 BST

Ray Harryhausen at work on models for The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, 1958. Photograph: Ronald Grant

He was the acclaimed film-maker who pioneered animation effects for masterpieces such as Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans of 1963 and 1981 respectively. Ray Harryhausen created extraordinary characters, including sword-wielding skeletons and a Medusa with writhing asps as hair, for 16 films – yet a new book about his “lost” screen projects reveals that he also worked on nearly 80 more films.

etc

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...ema-hollywood-film-mythology-adventure-models

Back