• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Reading Too Much Into A Resemblance?

Middlecoat

Vanished like an old oak table
Quite a few years ago I was on the train from South Wales to London. The journey took about three hours and to keep myself occupied I took a book. I can't remember the actual title but it was about the Tudors, specifically Anne Boleyn. Anyway we were not too far from London when I got to the section on descriptions and alleged portraits of Anne. The book was careful to point out that none of the portraits could definitively be said to be contemporary but that from all the surviving evidence she appeared to be olive skinned with dark hair and protruding dark eyes. Oval faced, handsome rather than 'pretty' with some kind of mole or birthmark on her neck.

Now I only go into this details because it is relevant to what happened next. A young woman came through the train and sat opposite me. I glanced up at her and the hairs on the back of my neck literally stood on end. She was the personification of the description I had just read. Long dark hair, huge brown eyes, a big brown mole or blemish on her neck which was really long and slender. The resemblance to Anne's portrait was marked. It wasn't just how she looked, she was dressed in an eclectic way with lots of scarves and rings and she exuded a 'presence'. I couldn't take my eyes off her. She just sat quietly and looked out the window. I must have been gawping at her because I was aware my mouth was open!! The train terminated at Paddington but she didn't get off at once, she just lingered. I did disembark and went on my way.

I am not claiming that Anne Boleyn sat by me on a train only that I found it an really unsettling experience and I have never forgotten it.

Quite a few years ago I was on the train from South Wales to London. The journey took about three hours and to keep myself occupied I took a book. I can't remember the actual title but it was about the Tudors, specifically Anne Boleyn. Anyway we were not too far from London when I got to the section on descriptions and alleged portraits of Anne. The book was careful to point out that none of the portraits could definitively be said to be contemporary but that from all the surviving evidence she appeared to be olive skinned with dark hair and protruding dark eyes. Oval faced, handsome rather than 'pretty' with some kind of mole or birthmark on her neck.

Now I only go into this details because it is relevant to what happened next. A young woman came through the train and sat opposite me. I glanced up at her and the hairs on the back of my neck literally stood on end. She was the personification of the description I had just read. Long dark hair, huge brown eyes, a big brown mole or blemish on her neck which was really long and slender. The resemblance to Anne's portrait was marked. It wasn't just how she looked, she was dressed in an eclectic way with lots of scarves and rings and she exuded a 'presence'. I couldn't take my eyes off her. She just sat quietly and looked out the window. I must have been gawping at her because I was aware my mouth was open!! The train terminated at Paddington but she didn't get off at once, she just lingered. I did disembark and went on my way.

I am not claiming that Anne Boleyn sat by me on a train only that I found it an really unsettling experience and I have never forgotten it.

More evidence of 'Enchantment.'

A long train journey can induce a semi-trance state, especially (I would imagine) if the regular clicking of the wheels over the rail joints (in the days before welded rails) added a monotonous sound track to your reading.

The simplest explanation then is pure hallucination. The described image was so clear in your mind that you exteriorised it and thought it was real. Or perhaps a female passenger just happened to resemble the description, and your mind added in all the other details.

Or maybe you created a tulpa!

Or maybe it was a ghost...

Discuss!

Rynner2 I thought at the time she seemed not right somehow. She was so striking. I have no cogent explanation.

The train terminated at Paddington but she didn't get off at once, she just lingered.
Isn't it tempting to wonder whether she was struck by the remarkable resemblance that you bore to someone that she had just been reading about?

I'm not implying @Alicatgreen , that you are the "spirit an' image" (cf spitting image) of Henry the Eighth, as this would be both randomly-disingenuous and excessively serendipitous.

But the actions of a stared-at girl, in a stopped railway carriage, would not often be 'to linger'. Say you not this too, prithee?

When you say 'she seemed not right somehow' is it possible that she might've been disproportionately fond of herself, in a pathologically vain sort of way? Or, do you mean that your perception of her presence was otherworldly?

Last edited:
Rynner2 I thought at the time she seemed not right somehow. She was so striking. I have no cogent explanation.

I don't believe in coincidences. As far as I'm concerned, this is more evidence of the mysterious forces of enchantment. In these cases, a sense of strangeness can be felt; that doesn't mean to say it's unpleasant. Do you remember any sense of change of atmosphere? A sense of stillness? As though you were in some kind of 'dimensional bubble?'

I don't believe in coincidences. As far as I'm concerned, this is more evidence of the mysterious forces of enchantment. In these cases, a sense of strangeness can be felt; that doesn't mean to say it's unpleasant. Do you remember any sense of change of atmosphere? A sense of stillness? As though you were in some kind of 'dimensional bubble?'

Yes. I recall the dappled sunlight at the station and thinking of how it suited her 'presence'. The train was also fairly still. The stillness you get when you sit daydreaming.

Isn't it tempting to wonder whether she was struck by the remarkable resemblance that you bore to someone that she had just been reading about?

I'm not implying @Alicatgreen , that you are the "spirit an' image" (cf spitting image) of Henry the Eighth, as this would be both randomly-disingenuous and excessively serendipitous.

But the actions of a stared-at girl, in a stopped railway carriage, would not often be 'to linger'. Say you not this too, prithee?

When you say 'she seemed not right somehow' is it possible that she might've been disproportionately fond of herself, in a pathologically vain sort of way? Or, do you mean that your perception of her presence was otherworldly?
She ignored me. Otherworldly describes it well.

Yes. I recall the dappled sunlight at the station and thinking of how it suited her 'presence'. The train was also fairly still. The stillness you get when you sit daydreaming.

Yes, this has all the signs of a 'Dimensional Bubble' or (DB)as I like to call them. These D.B's, I believe come about as a result of a period of trauma which causes an imbalance within our dimensional field. On reflection, these incidents can seem as if you were in a dream sequence, where nothing seems quite real. The (separate) traumatic experience may, if known, appear to others to be a rather trivial matter, yet to the sufferer is obviously a serious event. If allowed to go unchecked then things can get disproportionately out of hand. This is when elemental forces (E.F) of nature kick in and the process of re-enchantment (my own interpretation - not to be confused with Dr Leo Ruikbie's hypothesis) begins.
These E.F's are able to take from the past, the present and the future but will be pertinent to the present. Looking back, do you recall any such personal trauma within the two weeks leading up to this incident? I'm not asking you to reveal what the trauma was, as that would be impolite of me, unless of course you wish to tell.

Last edited:
Yes, this has all the signs of a 'Dimensional Bubble' or (DB)as I like to call them. These D.B's, I believe come about as a result of a period of trauma which causes an imbalance within our dimensional field. On reflection, these incidents can seem as if you were in a dream sequence, where nothing seems quite real. The (separate) traumatic experience may, if known, appear to others to be a rather trivial matter, yet to the sufferer is obviously a serious event. If allowed to go unchecked then things can get disproportionately out of hand. This is when elemental forces (E.F) of nature kick in and the process of re-enchantment (my own interpretation - not to be confused with Dr Leo Ruikbie's hypothesis) begins.
These E.F's are able to take from the past, the present and the future but will be pertinent to the present. Looking back, do you recall any such personal trauma within the two weeks leading up to this incident? I'm not asking you to reveal what the trauma was, as that would be impolite of me, unless of course you wish to tell.
I can't recall anything traumatic at that time simply because I can't remember when it took place. My son is 23 and it was definitely before he was born. I can't even recall why I was going to London. The incident is the only thing that has stayed with me. Bizarre.

I can't recall anything traumatic at that time simply because I can't remember when it took place. My son is 23 and it was definitely before he was born. I can't even recall why I was going to London. The incident is the only thing that has stayed with me. Bizarre.

'Lost in the mists of time' is probably a good thing and would indicate that the healing process was successful, if indeed, 'trauma' was the cause. D.B's though, can occur of their own accord and most are probably due to unknown causes. It could be that the D.B formed directly in your vicinity or, it was already there and you happened to wander into it. In those scenarios, people sometimes experience Ghostly phenomena. Still, your experience is interesting. Thanks for sharing it.

I was quite reserved back then. If it happened now I like to think I would say something such as 'Excuse me I know this sounds odd but.......'
....but, has anyone told you; you look like Anne Boleyn?"
An interaction between the two of you may well have altered the future. I do not know - for better or worse? She probably had no idea of her resemblance. Yet the forces of re-enchantment would have known, and would have known your interest and therefore brought you both together. I assume that the outcome would have been harmless as I believe that they act in our benefit; yet they can lead to weird and wondrous situations and outcomes. Sometimes, macabre even. These outcomes are the result of the interplay between the dimensional 'will' and the deliberations of those involved. If, in your case, the outcome had resulted in strangeness then your memory would have been clearer regarding your situation, up to, during and beyond the event concerned. In which case you may well have been able to track, by investigation, the events over history which appear to have a strange 'coincidence' regarding dates and events pertaining to your experience. When I say history, I am not just referring to your own recent history; I mean history over the course of (maybe) hundreds of years.

Last edited:
She ignored me.
Before I read the rest of this thread, I was hoping for a 'and this summer, we'll be celebrating 25 years together' but when you said you've got a 23 year-old son, to quote Annie Lennox, we can't say 'love is a stranger.'
Bizarrely, I also have a (slightly similar) experience involving a London train station. In the spring of 1999, I went to London to see The Cardigans in concert. While waiting for a tube train, there was a girl on the platform who looked like lead singer Nina Persson. I even asked her if she was Nina, and she replied she gets it all the time. And to top it off, she was Swedish as well!
And 17 years later......I still remember this!

A moment not grabbed is a moment lost forever. Sometimes (perhaps always) it's better to do, and find-out, in preference to don't, and always wonder. Within reason, of course. Which is the annoying bit.

I'm reminded (after quite some gap since any previous recollection) of the flawed-but-memorable movie 'Somewhere in Time' (Jane Seymour/Christopher Reeve)....worth a watch, be patient with it, it does reward (as does the main music score)

A moment not grabbed is a moment lost forever. Sometimes (perhaps always) it's better to do, and find-out, in preference to don't, and always wonder. Within reason, of course. Which is the annoying bit.

I'm reminded (after quite some gap since any previous recollection) of the flawed-but-memorable movie 'Somewhere in Time' (Jane Seymour/Christopher Reeve)....worth a watch, be patient with it, it does reward (as does the main music score)

Ermintrude; followed your link and this is a film I will certainly seek out. At the end of the clip, another brought me to the story of Maude Adams, upon whom the film is supposedly based. What a haunting beauty she was! It is easy to understand why one should wish to return in time to rekindle a love for her. I would. Although I think to be reborn into a future where our paths would re-cross is probably the better option. Next time - no mistakes.
Thank you for a wonderful link.

Which I always manage to confuse with the film about HG Wells and Jack the Ripper traveling in the time machine. :D

There have been a few occasions over the years when I saw a child who was the spitting image of a childhood friend or relative at that age, which causes a few seconds of strange disorientation - as if the last 30 years hadn't happened after all.

ERMINTRUDE: (sorry for shouting)
How remiss of me!!! I missed the obvious here. I mean the link between Jane Seymour and Anne Boleyn of whom Alicatgreen first began this topic. If you add to that my earlier comment 'lost in the mists of time' to your memorable film 'Somewhere in Time,' then what we have here is undoubted evidence of my theory of 'Enchantment in Action!'
This is exciting stuff!!! Actual proof of the Elemental Forces of Nature going about their process of enchantment and right beneath our very nose's!!! Whats more; this is occurring over the internet - something which I hadn't considered.
I don't know how I missed this. I must be tired. I think this matter is worthy of being brought to the attention of the Society for Psychical Research. Do You Agree? Alicatgreen must be informed. I think we should all agree before taking this further. What do you think? SC

@Stuart Certain, I definitely see a link across all of these elements, but, would you not agree that this constitutes an excellent Fortean coincidence, rather than absolute evidence of a force that could be thought of as enchantment?

The modern-day Jane Seymour, a beautiful actress born in 1951, can of course be associated with her Tudor namesake (and we can safely-presume that within that familial clan surname, there will have been over the last 500 years a much-higher than average proportion of 'Janes' so named, amongst the female descendants of that house).

I don't think that your comment about "lost in the mists of time" presaged my mention of the film, either via metaphysics or prosaic suggestibility. The movie is an under-rated (but mildly flawed) masterpiece, within a canon that possesses relatively-few candidates. In circumstances such as we were discussing, it would've bubbled to the top of my conscious association quickly (I would be astounded if some other like-minded FTMB mightn't have been similarly inclined to declare their awareness of this as well).

Perhaps you'll feel that all we're disagreeing about is terminology, and the fundamental etiology is still there: and who knows, perhaps you are quite correct.

And in respect of the SPR...unless you are significantly more informed as to their agency and capabilities than I, my presumption is that they (if a potent corporation of value) might very-well look to the FTMB itself to arrive at conclusions, and perform analyses upon, matters of this sort. I accept that in some relative senses they are a 'higher court', but: where and how that would justify a deferral to them may be something that you, personally, have insightful perspectives upon.

Last edited:
@Stuart Certain, I definitely see a link across all of these elements, but, would you not agree that this constitutes an excellent Fortean coincidence, rather than absolute evidence of a force that could be thought of as enchantment?

The modern-day Jane Seymour, a beautiful actress borne in 1951, can of course be associated with her Tudor namesake (and we can safely-presume that within that familial clan surname, there will have been over the last 500 years a much-higher than average proportion of 'Janes' so named, amongst the female descendants of that house).

I don't think that your comment about "lost in the mists of time" presaged my mention of the film, either via metaphysics or prosaic suggestibility. The movie is an under-rated (but mildly flawed) masterpiece, within a canon that possesses relatively-few candidates. In circumstances such as we were discussing, it would've bubbled to the top of my conscious association quickly (I would be astounded if some other like-minded FTMB mightn't have been similarly inclined to declare their awareness of this as well).

Perhaps you'll feel that all we're disagreeing about is terminology, and the fundamental etiology is still there: and who knows, perhaps you are quite correct.

And in respect of the SPR...unless you are significantly more informed as to their agency and capabilities than I, my presumption is that they (if a potent corporation of value) might very-well look to the FTMB itself to arrive at conclusions, and perform analyses upon, matters of this sort. I accept that in some relative senses they are a 'higher court', but: where and how that would justify a deferral to them may be something that you, personally, have insightful perspectives upon.

Yes, of course, you are absolutely correct in that FTMB should have 'first bite at this.' If any are reading, then I apologize. Can we just put it down to tiredness (insomnia, you know) and forget about it? Meantime, Ermintrude, your comments are as intelligent and insightful (as ever) and I need more time to fully consider them. I am due at the vets shortly; my staffordshire bull terrier is due her booster; but I will cogitate and get back to you as soon as I can.

Well, Ermintrude; I have cogitated and will take each point you make, in turn.

@Stuart Certain, 'I definitely see a link across all of these elements, but, would you not agree that this constitutes an excellent Fortean coincidence, rather than absolute evidence of a force that could be thought of as enchantment?'

I would say that this constitutes a Fortean 'experience' rather than Fortean 'coincidence.'
Absolute evidence is unattainable across all forms of Paranormal Activity (P.A) into which terms this experience falls.
It's a dimensional thing. We speak in terms of our understanding of these matters, yet are bound by the rules of our own dimension. Forces of enchantment, however, have no such limitations. Are we not living within an enchanted realm? Is not a man Enchanted by the female form? or vice versa? If we are to need absolute evidence of P.A. then we wait forever. The most we can hope for is circumstantial evidence.

'The modern-day Jane Seymour, a beautiful actress born in 1951, can of course be associated with her Tudor namesake (and we can safely-presume that within that familial clan surname, there will have been over the last 500 years a much-higher than average proportion of 'Janes' so named, amongst the female descendants of that house).'

That is almost certainly correct. So what? This is more 'grist to the mill' for the forces of enchantment.

'I don't think that your comment about "lost in the mists of time" presaged my mention of the film, either via metaphysics or prosaic suggestibility. The movie is an under-rated (but mildly flawed) masterpiece, within a canon that possesses relatively-few candidates. In circumstances such as we were discussing, it would've bubbled to the top of my conscious association quickly (I would be astounded if some other like-minded FTMB mightn't have been similarly inclined to declare their awareness of this as well).'

I cannot agree with you there. If it were metaphysical; then it would be added circumstantial evidence. If it were prosaic suggestibility, then you were susceptible; a point which you seem to be both agreeing and disagreeing with at the same time. Surely, you cannot have it both ways?

'Perhaps you'll feel that all we're disagreeing about is terminology, and the fundamental etiology is still there: and who knows, perhaps you are quite correct.'

Actually, I wasn't disagreeing about anything. How could I, when you hadn't yet commented? Unless, of course, you were presaging my own disagreement? That's rather presumptuous of you, is it not? Unless you did so without forethought? I never claim to be correct. It is of course, ultimately, just a Theory of mine and, as I say, I do not believe that these matters can ever be proven.

'And in respect of the SPR...unless you are significantly more informed as to their agency and capabilities than I, my presumption is that they (if a potent corporation of value) might very-well look to the FTMB itself to arrive at conclusions, and perform analyses upon, matters of this sort. I accept that in some relative senses they are a 'higher court', but: where and how that would justify a deferral to them may be something that you, personally, have insightful perspectives upon.'

On this, I can agree and did so, with apologies, in an earlier comment. I am not a member of the SPR, yet have conviction that they have, under lock and key; in their strongest vault; to be seen only by those with clearance, a knowledge of myself pertaining to another case of theirs. I can elaborate no further on this. However, I do view them as 'Mother.' They, I believe, view me in that respect, as a wayward son. The film, 'The Shuttered Room,' comes to mind. Naturally, I think of Mother first.

Last edited:
This is a wonderful anecdote.

I find it relevant that Anne Boleyn is not merely a tragic and important historical figure - she is a person associated with witchcraft and the supernatural. At the time of her death, she was fortunate to be beheaded rather than burned at the stake, because there were allegations that she could cast magic spells and curses. There are many legends about her, including stories of her ghost.

But there is something about these martyred queens ... I had a really odd coincidence, that I had been talking to a historian friend of mine about her studies of poems which may have been written my Mary Queen of Scots. I was sitting on the bus in my local route in Sydney, musing about this, on the way to visit the same friend again. I wondered if she had found anything more out on this topic. Then I looked across, and the person opposite me was reading a biography of Mary Queen of Scots. It was a large, hard bound copy of Antonia Fraser's biography - not a recent book, it came out in the 70s. This mint copy had the dust jacket, with a lovely portrait of Mary Queen of Scots looking straight at me. It is the only time I have ever seen anyone on that bus reading any sort of history book - it is in the suburbs, not near any University.

This is a wonderful anecdote.

I find it relevant that Anne Boleyn is not merely a tragic and important historical figure - she is a person associated with witchcraft and the supernatural. At the time of her death, she was fortunate to be beheaded rather than burned at the stake, because there were allegations that she could cast magic spells and curses. There are many legends about her, including stories of her ghost.

But there is something about these martyred queens ... I had a really odd coincidence, that I had been talking to a historian friend of mine about her studies of poems which may have been written my Mary Queen of Scots. I was sitting on the bus in my local route in Sydney, musing about this, on the way to visit the same friend again. I wondered if she had found anything more out on this topic. Then I looked across, and the person opposite me was reading a biography of Mary Queen of Scots. It was a large, hard bound copy of Antonia Fraser's biography - not a recent book, it came out in the 70s. This mint copy had the dust jacket, with a lovely portrait of Mary Queen of Scots looking straight at me. It is the only time I have ever seen anyone on that bus reading any sort of history book - it is in the suburbs, not near any University.

Yes, this is a rather nice anecdote. I'm not personally fond of the idea of coincidence and would normally chalk this up as another example of enchantment in action. However; I am mindful of the issue of subliminal messaging. It may have been an example of such, in that you may have seen the book the other passenger was reading without fully realizing you had done so. A sort of seeing without seeing occurrence. This can happen when our minds are concerned about other issues; and this, in turn, may have instigated your musing. Once you had begun upon this train of thought, then your catching sight of the book in the second instance, would have seemed as an odd, strange coincidence.

Back