• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Rebel Prods Book Launch

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Rebel Prods Book Launch

A new book entitled Rebel Prods: The Forgotten Story of Protestant Radical Nationalists and the 1916 Rising by the late Dr Valerie Jones, will be launched by the former Archbishop of Dublin, the Rt Revd Walton Empey, in the Treasury, Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin, next Monday evening at 6.30pm.

The book, brought to fruition by Dr Valerie Jones’s daughter, Dr Heather Jones, an Associate Professor in History at the London School of Economics, has been published by Ashfield Press and has been supported by the Church of Ireland’s Historical Centenaries Working Group as one of its several contributions to marking the centenary of 1916.

The outgoing Chairman on the Historical Centenaries Working Group, the Rt Revd John McDowell, has observed that ‘one of the objectives of more or less everyone who has been involved in the Decade of Centenaries has been to explore the complexity of Irish history during this crucial period. Many people are aware of the involvement of well known, and often well connected, Irish Protestants in radical politics during the revolutionary period. However, there were others whose participation on the republican side are much less well known, or barely known at all but whose stories deserve to be told and reflected upon. This book fills a gap in the scholarship of that period and should also be of interest to a much wider readership who, once again, history will surprise.’

Valerie Jones was an Irish language enthusiast and a dedicated and singularly effective Communications Officer for the dioceses of Dublin & Glendalough.

Received a present a few days ago of a new book called ‘Rebel Prods’ written by Valerie Jones who died in 2014. The sub-title says it all ‘Rebel Prods-The Forgotten Story of Protestant Radical Nationalists and the 1916 Rising’. It was prepared for publication by her daughter and son and published by Ashfield Press, Dublin. It was sent to me by the Church of Ireland Bishop of Clogher who was one of those who attended the launch in Christchurch Cathedral, just over a week ago. I very much appreciate his kind thought. I have only skipped through the book and read a few chapters so far. It is a most interesting read.

This book is full of information about the radical men and women from the Protestant tradition who took part in the 1916 Rising and many of whom have been written out of the history. There were those from the Protestant tradition who played a major role in procuring arms for the Irish Volunteers- Casement, Figgis, Conor O’Brien, Thomas Myles, Childers, Mary Spring Rice and Hobson. Some Protestant women took a leading part in forming Cumann na mBán. Elizabeth Bloxham from Westport was a founding member as were other radical Protestants from a middle class background. Kathleen Lynn was another woman from Mayo who played a major role in the Rising and afterwards. Countess Markievicz is, of course, the best known. ...

http://www.judecollins.com/2016/12/rebel-prods-joe-mcveigh/

Oddly...reading your post gave me deja vu...feel I've read about this book very recently...

There have been a lot of stories in various media which would touch on the general theme seeing as it is the centenary year of 1916.

No. it was this book specifically. I never read any publishing news or book reviews. Sure there's a perfectly prosaic explanation...just curious :)

I was fascinated by her.
Very much a mover and shaker in the fight for inclusivity in Ireland generally during the early part of the 20thC. Even outside of republican / rebel circles her influence was powerful, along with Hanna S-S. A hero of the people. Salt of the earth.

Received a present a few days ago of a new book called ‘Rebel Prods’ written by Valerie Jones who died in 2014. The sub-title says it all ‘Rebel Prods-The Forgotten Story of Protestant Radical Nationalists and the 1916 Rising’. It was prepared for publication by her daughter and son and published by Ashfield Press, Dublin. It was sent to me by the Church of Ireland Bishop of Clogher who was one of those who attended the launch in Christchurch Cathedral, just over a week ago. I very much appreciate his kind thought. I have only skipped through the book and read a few chapters so far. It is a most interesting read.

This book is full of information about the radical men and women from the Protestant tradition who took part in the 1916 Rising and many of whom have been written out of the history. There were those from the Protestant tradition who played a major role in procuring arms for the Irish Volunteers- Casement, Figgis, Conor O’Brien, Thomas Myles, Childers, Mary Spring Rice and Hobson. Some Protestant women took a leading part in forming Cumann na mBán. Elizabeth Bloxham from Westport was a founding member as were other radical Protestants from a middle class background. Kathleen Lynn was another woman from Mayo who played a major role in the Rising and afterwards. Countess Markievicz is, of course, the best known. ...

http://www.judecollins.com/2016/12/rebel-prods-joe-mcveigh/
Even today, some of the more vigorous activists in Poblachtánachas Éireannach have Protestant heritage. By all accounts they're warmly welcomed by the republicans. Kind of a reverse Road to Damascus for some of us, eh.

Back