• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Thank you, thank you, thank you

Oooh, just wait till she gets home from school :)

The second funniest gag ever on TV, after 'four candles' was
Rimmer: 'Go to amber(?) alert'
Kryten: 'Amber alert it is sir'.
Rimmer: 'My God, go to red alert'....
Kryten: 'Are you sure, Sir? It'll mean changing the bulb' (or something like that)

Well said!! Couldnt agree more. Personally I'm on a purple alert at the moment. :D

Yeah I thought it was series 6 and series 8 was the worst of the 8 but had some great gags and was worth buying the dvd!! Series 8 was in '99 and in the commentary (the best ones I've heard are the Dwarf ones) they tell you when the episode was made and when it was broadcast....well on the series 8 dvd they do!! Series 2 was the best but 2-5 were all fab and they're all worth getting on dvd, the bbc do do good dvd extras, when they can be bothered!! Can't wait for my next Dr Who one to turn up!! Smoke me a kipper!! Ps they did a similar gag about the lightbulb in series 8 but involved the Cat saying forget red alert his trousers were on Brown alert....and to quote mr A.J.Rimmer himself "The world loves a B*stard!!" Cheers!! 8)

Red Dwarf is class and series 8 had great moments because it brought back the Rimmer/Lister bunk scenes. The cast are still young enough to do more Dwarf, the film would be great but I'd like Red Dwarf IX!! Ps I'm amazed they managed to fit all the regulars onto the dvd commentary together but it was smegging worth it!! Cheers! 8)

Red Dwarf voyages back to Earth

Cult comedy Red Dwarf is returning to TV, 21 years after its initial launch.

The show has been resurrected by digital channel Dave for a two-part Easter weekend special, which sees the cast finally return to Earth.

Written and directed by Red Dwarf co-creator Doug Naylor, the new show reunites the line-up, including Coronation Street's Craig Charles.

The hit show, which ran for eight series on BBC Two between 1988 and 1999, won an International Emmy award.

Set three million years into the future, the show followed the exploits of Dave Lister, slovenly crew member of the mining ship Red Dwarf - and the last man in the universe.

He was joined in his weekly attempts to make it back to Earth by a cast of oddballs including human hologram Arnold Rimmer, mechanoid servant Kryten and Cat - a preening half-man, half-animal who evolved from the ship's cat.

At its peak, Red Dwarf pulled in around eight million viewers and was broadcast in more than 25 countries.

It has sold more than seven million DVDs and videos.

The new two-part series Red Dwarf: Back to Earth will be followed by a "no holds barred" episode without sets, special effects or autocue.

The weekend will climax with Red Dwarf: the Making of Back to Earth, a behind-the-scenes special from the new episodes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7851989.stm

Red Dwarf comes back to Earth
Nine years on, the Boys from the Dwarf are back … in Weatherfield. Here's an exclusive first look at the new series

It's cold outside … but the Boys from the Dwarf have finally found somewhere with some kind of atmosphere. Nine years on from the frustrating final episode, here's our first glimpse of the all-new Red Dwarf. We've got a clip of the new three-part story Back to Earth, due to air over Easter on Dave. And it's Earth, Dave, and exactly as we know it, actually.

The new episodes take the Boys back to a modern-day Earth. Partially to provide some Galactica-style closure to the saga, but mainly because, with the sets long since torn down and the meagre budget of a digital channel, it was the only way they could do it.

This much we know: Kochanski has died (that noise was a million fanboys whooping). Rimmer has aged (a double downer, since holograms aren't meant to). And since Lister left a bath running for nine years, Holly is water-logged and still drying out (so apparently no Norman Lovett or Hattie Hayridge).

And somehow, they'd found themselves in Weatherfield. That's Starbug zipping through Coronation Street (did you spot Dev's kebab shop and Peter Barlow's bookies?) So chances are, Lister's going to meet some intergalactic genetic double in the form of cabbie Lloyd Mullaney. What can be going on here? A reality warp? Some kind of fiction actualiser? An ill-advised bout of fourth-wall breaking?

Time travel's somehow involved, and Rimmer knows all about the X Factor. Why so bitter? Could a failed pop career be one of his manifold broken dreams in some other reality? Could Rimmer really be a descendant of Leon Jackson? There's just a few weeks until we find out.

Back to Earth is on Friday 10 April 2009 at 9pm on Dave.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/tvand ... back-earth

With video clip (only it won't play properly for me...)

The clip only lasts about twenty seconds anyway and features a souped up car and a cutting edge joke about X Factor. I'm sorry to say, but this doesn't look very good. I'll watch it anyway, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Anybody watch it? I'm a bit relieved, I thought it was going to be really cheap, with the crew wandering around a shopping mall for half an hour or something, but it looked all right actually.

Interesting plot, the only trouble being that Red Dwarf has become one of those programmes where I have a struggle recalling why I ever thought it was funny. Still, one laugh tonight is better than none.

I thought it was ok ish.

Never thought id hear myself say this though, but the absence of canned laughter was odd and changed the dynamics of the show for me.

Exactly the opposite of the pilot show of the Mighty Boosh which did have canned laughter which was odd. :shock:

I liked it. Seemed to be trying to be more in the vein of the first two series than they later ones and was relatively successful in most respects.

My biggest disappointment was with Cat, which pains me to say because I love Cat and never imagine anyone other than Danny John-Jules in the role, but he seemed a little half hearted, maybe it was the lack of canned laughter. He did have the best line though, even if it was the cheapest, with claiming to have been grabbed by a giant testicle.

Not bad at all last night, I even laughed a few times, but has anyone noticed the similarity between the plot of this Red Dwarf reunion and the League of Gentlemen film? The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse, I mean. It's a bit offputting, but not ruinously so.

gncxx said:
Not bad at all last night, I even laughed a few times, but has anyone noticed the similarity between the plot of this Red Dwarf reunion and the League of Gentlemen film? The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse, I mean. It's a bit offputting, but not ruinously so.

Yeah I kept thinking that and then they kept mashing it up with Blade Runner before it all turned out to be a cheeky sequel to an earlier episode. I won't spoil it for anybody.

I did manage one genuine belly laugh when Rimmer pushed the science officer into the road.

Anyone know how this did in the ratings? Far from being the final one ever, the ending went out of its way to leave things open for more, it seemed to me.

To answer my own question, it got 2.66 million people watching it, the biggest multichannel audience ever for a UK programme. But that was on Good Friday, they lost about a million for the next episodes. Not bad though.

I watched Red Dwarf: Back to Earth, on You Tube, last night. ;)

I enjoyed it, but they and we, are all bit older, than the last time the Dwarf filled our screens.

The throwaway line about, The Priory, was funny and poignant.

Dagnabbit - I liked it, but it was missing something.....

Having thought about it, it HAS to be the lack of canned laughter. Which is a bit odd.

How shallow of me. :shock:

Being a long running dwarf fan, I was thoroughly disappointed.

The trademark confined rooms with the hum of the engine noise was replaced with wide open spaces and John Williams esque orchestral music.

The entire premise of meeting their creator for more episodes reminded me too much of the League of Gentlemen film.

Watching Rimmer 'dancing' to music in the control room for 3 minutes was almost as cringe worthy as watching the Cat dance with a blue midget from Series VIII.

I was expecting the lack of continuity from the last series before I even started watching so I wasn't surprised that they started the new episodes back on Red Dwarf.

A few good laughs, but ultimately disappointing.

Having finally seen all three episodes last night, I have to agree. Given that the original series, all eight of them, frequently lost their way, I didn't really see what they were trying to achieve with this other than closure, but it didn't do that, even. The one liners were OK, but as you say it basically became League of Gentlemen Apocalypse - also, it seemed to me at least that the heart of the cast wasn't really in it, especially Chris Barrie who most of the time just came over as careworn and a bit irritable. Lack of Holly didn't help, and as per usual IMHO it was too bloody long. A two-parter may well have panned out better.

On the bright side, it's dulled my appetite for the film version that never was. Perhaps it's better that way.

I put the absence of continuity down to the much mentioned and as yet unseen 9th series that the characters kept referring to.

However there is some good news for those involved

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7999588.stm

Of course what the show really needs is for Naylor and Grant to patch up their differences and get on with it.

river_styx said:
Of course what the show really needs is for Naylor and Grant to patch up their differences and get on with it.

Maybe, but I think Grant got out at the right time if you ask me.

Dandelo_ said:
Being a long running dwarf fan, I was thoroughly disappointed...
Me too. It was barrel-scraping extraordinaire. The whole Bladerunner motif was tired and pointless, and when they turned up on the set of Coronation Street to meet "the real Craig Charles" I thought I would vomit. Not to mention that the whole squid thing was entirely predictable ('Back to Reality'/'Back to Earth' ?) The only thing I laughed at was a line said ironically by the only non-standard character, the science officer, when she said "It's staring you in your stupid fat, ferrety face!"

In short, I thought it was a load of old poo :p

I have the unabridged audio books and the BBC audio drama...both are top notch due to Chris Barry's excellent narration/voice acting.

As for the "new special", it was a bit "meh" wasn't it?

(and hello folks, tried to join this forum many moons ago, but I wasn't allowed to due to some crazy email address rules..but I am here now..Yay!). :)

Zoltar

Zoltar said:
As for the "new special", it was a bit "meh" wasn't it?

Welcome aboard.

I'm sad to say that i've given up on 'new' Red Dwarf. There're always the classics to return to watching, but I can't imagine another winner emerging from the stable.

Back