• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Apparently there's a new series being made after the success of last year's specials. Presumably it'll be on Dave.

theyithian said:
Zoltar said:
As for the "new special", it was a bit "meh" wasn't it?

Welcome aboard.

I'm sad to say that i've given up on 'new' Red Dwarf. There're always the classics to return to watching, but I can't imagine another winner emerging from the stable.

I agree, I think they missed the "window of opportunity" and left it too late (and no Grant/Naylor collaboration either). They failed to recapture the old magic IMO (not a total shock though, it has been a long time since they all worked together).

As for re-runs...I have 'em all on DVD (and the "Bodysnatcher collection), so that is always an option at Zoltar towers.

(ta for the welcome). :)

Zoltar

gncxx said:
Apparently there's a new series being made after the success of last year's specials. Presumably it'll be on Dave.

My head is saying "just leave it alone lads, you'll never recapture the magic"

My heart is saying "Smegging Hell - Series 9!!!"

Zoltar

Red Dwarf X, Dave, review
Michael Hogan reviews Red Dwarf X, the first episode of the first new series of the sci-fi sitcom in 13 years, starring the original cast.
By Michael Hogan
9:45PM BST 04 Oct 2012

Sci-fi sitcom Red Dwarf returned for a first full series – Red Dwarf X – in 13 years, even if it has made the alarming shift from the BBC to digital channel Dave in the interim. The show has an obsessive fan base, which stereotype would suggest is mainly men in their thirties and forties with a penchant for sci-fi and gaming – see how I’m subtly avoiding using provocative words like “nerd”, “geek” or “unsuccessful with women” here? 8)

Wisely, this 10th series had reverted to sitcom format after Dave’s misjudged Back to Earth specials three years ago, and had been filmed in front of a studio audience. The old gang were back on-board their ramshackle space mining ship: slobby last-human-alive Lister (Craig Charles), neurotic hologram Rimmer (Chris Barrie), humanoid feline Cat (Danny John-Jules) and prissy robot Kryten (Robert Llewellyn).

The plot, such as it was, involved Lister waiting on hold on the telephone for the entire episode as he tried to buy a “Stirmaster” coffee-stirring gadget from a shopping channel, while he and the other three explored a mysteriously abandoned ship.

Still, the script did deliver laughs and smart ideas. Rimmer crashed, goggle-eyed, due to “self-created malware” powered by his own stored-up resentments. Things were described as “slower than the speed of dark” and “smaller than the salad section of a Scottish supermarket”. No classic but largely a return to form then. Those non-nerdy, not-remotely-geeky, lady-killing fans must be mighty relieved.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... eview.html

It's OK, it's repeated tonight. I know, repeats on Dave, who'd have thought it?

gncxx said:
It's OK, it's repeated tonight. I know, repeats on Dave, who'd have thought it?
It's available for four days.

I just watched it (after a bit of hassle registering, etc) and really enjoyed it - it was like meeting up with an old friend after all these years! 8)

I recorded the repeat last night, and it was fine, pretty much what I remembered which should please the fans. Not hilarious, but a few good chuckles.

Dave is on Freeview, so you can watch it there without a subscription to anything.

I'm not sure. I can see why people prefer it to the terrible "Back to Earth" debacle, but I felt it was quite bad. Not because I thought the jokes weren't amusing - some of them were - but because the whole thing just lacked structure. A good sitcom needs a framework or some kind of vague plot which the jokes are then projected onto. You can see it clearly in all the best sitcoms - Father Ted is a good example. There's a structure there which "helps" the comedy by giving it context. It's present in the earlier series of Red Dwarf - take "Back to Reality", a great episode and very interesting and funny because it has a framework and a plot. This was totally lacking in the new episode - it was as if they'd just thought "oh let's bring in Rimmer's brother, oh and throw a simulant in there too for good measure, and we need something for Craig to do so give him that long, unfunny phone joke".

Sorry to ramble on but it annoyed me that Doug Naylor has been writing sitcoms for over 20 years now, and I think I just expected a bit more skill and care to have been taken with the writing of this new series.

Still, maybe it will improve :p

It should, as they're to have a new upgraded Holly-replacement. :D

escargot1 said:
It should, as they're to have a new upgraded Holly-replacement. :D

Who's a maniac, according to the trailer for this week's episode.

Well, that episode was a load of old guff as well (IMHO!) - again, totally lacking in structure! And comedy foreign accents...? Really...?

Zoffre said:
Well, that episode was a load of old guff as well (IMHO!) - again, totally lacking in structure! And comedy foreign accents...? Really...?
Well, I liked it!

The new computer persona was very weird and creepy (a contrast to the previous rather dopey ones), but having been logic-bombed by Lister at the end I'm not sure we will see her again.

And a few tips of the hat to earlier SF stories - computer ejecting human into space (2001), and the dive into the sun (Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy). Not to mention Lister being his own father (Red Dwarf) - hence the title, Fathers and Suns. 8)

I think this series builds on the earlier stuff. I expect that afterwards, when we see one of the previous series, we'll say "Don't they look young!"

More please! :D

I watched this through my fingers and really wasn't that impressed, I have to say. I adored the first few series and still maintain that the first Red Dwarf book is one of the funniest things I've ever read, but really, I think it would have been much better left back there *waves hand vaguely* as a classic series rather than trying to keep going.

The first new episode had me laughing like a drain. The second was great fun. Subtle and innovative it ain't, but there are still some great one liners.

:)

rynner2 said:
And a few tips of the hat to earlier SF stories - computer ejecting human into space (2001), and the dive into the sun (Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy). Not to mention Lister being his own father (Red Dwarf) - hence the title, Fathers and Suns. 8)

Thought the taped message was very reminiscent of the Doctor Who story Blink, too. Again, I don't think it's classic, but it does make me laugh a few times and that's good enough for me.

onetwothree said:
I watched this through my fingers and really wasn't that impressed, I have to say. I adored the first few series and still maintain that the first Red Dwarf book is one of the funniest things I've ever read, but really, I think it would have been much better left back there *waves hand vaguely* as a classic series rather than trying to keep going.
Yes, I think so too. Sometimes it's better to leave something when it's at its peak than drag it out. I think the actors are good sports to come back to it (well, there is the financial element I imagine...) but part of me thinks that they'd be better off ploughing a new furrow in other projects that aren't inextricably linked to their younger selves.

As for the rest of you - you're all just too easily pleased ;) :p

It's Steptoe & Son crossed with the Odd Couple, in space. Lister eats pickled onions and cuts his toenails in the space bathtub while Rimmer puts on airs and dreams of better things that are forever beyond his grasp. Cat and Kryten play variations on that theme.

It's daft entertainment on a channel called, Dave, still funnier than most of the output on BBC, or ITV, these days. Not as whiny, or snarky as a lot of the American alternatives, either.

Just watched the first new episode - with the lowest of expectations - and came away smiling, I'm pleased to report.

Needs Holly, mind.

edit: was in a museum the other day where you can send messages to a wall-sized screen. It has an exhaustive auto-block list which the even the foul-mouthed reprobates with me couldn't seems to defeat. I nudged the failures aside and in a few short clicks had 'SMEG!' in front of us in twenty foot high letters. To my disgust, nobody had any idea what it was/meant!

I disliked series 7 and 8 but I really like this series. Exceeded my expectations.

Yes, it's really not half as bad as it could have been, and in a way, that pleases me immensely!

Series 10, Episode 3 | 5 days left

Exclusive to Dave, the new series of Red Dwarf continues apace. Marooned in Britain in 23 AD, the Dwarfers need an 8 volt battery to power up the Returner Remote and get home.

http://video.uktv.co.uk/dave/red-dwarf/ ... /episode-3

Not as slick as it could have been, but still a few LOL moments for me!

(They don't spend long in Britain, but make their way to India, where they meet Jesus... :shock:

Yep, we're in Fortean territory here! ;) )

Episode 4 was the best so far for me. Tighter plot, better jokes.

theyithian said:
Episode 4 was the best so far for me. Tighter plot, better jokes.
Thanks for the reminder - I'd forgotten about it! :shock:

Whilst we're on the subject of Red Dwarf X:04: Entanglement

Did anyone notice just how much prominence they gave to a book by that eminent Fortean writer, Arthur Koestler: The Roots of Coincidence?

At one point, either Kryten, or Cat, even held a copy of the Picador paperback ed. up to the camera so that you could read and see the cover. The picture on the cover later became an integral part of the plot.

Koestler_Roots_00.jpg

Definitely a mega-Fortean episode. Still very silly, though. :lol:

I thought I started a thread on Koestler, years ago, but I can't find it. The name crops up several times on the MB, however.

As for tonight's Red Dwarf, I really enjoyed it, although the previews made it sound rather trivial. It was actually quite philosophical in parts, when Lister mourns the lost human race, although it was enlivened by running jokes about the need for toilet rolls!

But the logistics of mail deliveries to a ship 3 million years in the future still has me baffled!

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Whilst we're on the subject of Red Dwarf X:04: Entanglement

Did anyone notice just how much prominence they gave to a book by that eminent Fortean writer, Arthur Koestler: The Roots of Coincidence?

[...]

Definitely a mega-Fortean episode. Still very silly, though. :lol:

I only saw the Jesus episode so far, but I thought they were giving forteana, or at least fringe theories, quite a lot of screen-time on that.

James_H2 said:

I only saw the Jesus episode so far, but I thought they were giving forteana, or at least fringe theories, quite a lot of screen-time on that.
Definitely broached the subject of gnostic heresy on that episode.

It's been the best series, since series six, so far. :)

Last episode coming up:

Red Dwarf X Ep 6 - The Beginning

Hiding in an asteroid, surrounded by a Simulant Death Ship and a fleet of Annihilators, the Dwarfers begin to wonder whether this is the beginning of the end. Only one man can save them - unfortunately that man is Arnold J Rimmer. Oh smegging smeg.

Some still pics from the ep. here:
http://uktv.co.uk/dave/gallery/aid/6538 ... 56#gallery

(Write your own script!)

Back