• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I only caught the last 10 minutes or so, when there was a nod to Monty Python - a cross between "The Spanish Inquisition" and "what have the Romans ever done for us?". All good fun, I thought. From what I've seen of this series, it's been better than it needed to be (that's to say, it could've been far worse), to the extent where I'll look out for repeats in the future. I may even seek out Back to Earth, or is that going too far?

Back to Earth was OK, but there was too much of the "Let's wrap this up for good" about it which was pointless when Doug Naylor did an about turn for the ending. This new series has been better, more like the Red Dwarf we know.

I liked the fellow stabbing himself - that was funny. In fact, the peripheral cast have been much better than the regulars in this series, I think. Barrie, Charles et al. seem to have lost the enthusiasm - just phoning it in expecting to get laughs for just being them. I still maintain that there was a glaring lack of structure unbecoming a comedy writer with over 20 years' experience... :roll:

I think it's just that by now, we all know what to expect from the characters which lessens any comedy surprise. Series X has done little to flesh out the crew who were a little thin to start with.
Having said that, it's familiar and I am enjoying it but not lolling too much.

For me, it works best when there's a long setup for a simple gag rather than going on about cowardice and kebabs- I'm thinking 'moose' here.

The Cat seemed to be developing as a character at one time - using equipment, doing a bit of teamwork, and so on - but he's back to being a brainless fop now. :(

escargot1 said:
The Cat seemed to be developing as a character at one time - using equipment, doing a bit of teamwork, and so on - but he's back to being a brainless fop now. :(

I think he gave that up as an exercise in futility. Still my favourite character, though.

A bit short notice, but series 11 is on Dave tonight at nine, with series 12 already in the can. If you miss it, it'll be on the Dave website for a week.

It wasn't a bad episode, but Red Dwarf has missed the influence of Rob Grant since he abandoned it after series VI (I think). Doug Naylor has relatively few comedy techniques in his arsenal. I laughed a couple of times, smiled often, and occasionally rolled my eyes at hackneyed gags which announced their arrival from afar, and unrealistic dialogue clearly written to set up the following one-liner. Red Dwarf's 'classic' era is long past, but for me, bad Dwarf is still better than most telly.

Yeah, I laughed a few times, but by this point I wonder if I'm watching it more out of nostalgia. OK, it's probably because I like Cat.

I smiled a lot, but only had a few laughs. That said, I enjoyed it a lot. The actors have generally aged well, but I notice Kryten has put on weight. Do robots have fat cells?

I smiled a lot, but only had a few laughs. That said, I enjoyed it a lot. The actors have generally aged well, but I notice Kryten has put on weight. Do robots have fat cells?

He's probably had a hardware upgrade.

I managed too catch it the other other night, and like a few of you, it seems, I enjoyed it without really being hugely amused. I think I'm just grateful that it's a lot better than it could have been!

The situation seemed pretty contrived, even by Red Dwarf standards - too much humour was milked from a floozy in a bar talking science-y stuff. On the other hand, the bickering at the end between Kevin Eldon's "4 of 27" and his mate made me chuckle more than I expected.

I caught the next episode on UKTV Play online, the episode that will be shown on Dave next Thursday, and I felt it was much better. And that seems to be the opinion of most of the hardcore fans. Obviously, like most things in popular culture that have been around awhile, nobody hates it more than its hardcore fans. ;) But they mostly seem pretty positive about this series.

Kryten's girth is discussed a fair bit among fans. The theory that he has had several hardware additions salvaged from derelict spacecraft is commonly put forward. In fact, I think it might have originated from Robert Llewellyn himself. Poor puzzling is Arnold Rimmer's aging, since he's a hologram who shouldn't age at all. But mostly, the cast have aged pretty well.

Always enjoy a RD episode employing the old time travel motif. Pretty well scripted and a few laughs. Good to see them back.

Kryten's girth is discussed a fair bit among fans. The theory that he has had several hardware additions salvaged from derelict spacecraft is commonly put forward. In fact, I think it might have originated from Robert Llewellyn himself. Poor puzzling is Arnold Rimmer's aging, since he's a hologram who shouldn't age at all. But mostly, the cast have aged pretty well.

They did explain when it was brought back on Dave why Rimmer was ageing. It was jargon, but it was an explanation.

They did explain when it was brought back on Dave why Rimmer was ageing. It was jargon, but it was an explanation.
I didn't see that. Did it include an explanation as to why he spent six-hundred years in a cell on Rimmerworld without aging a jot?

Continuity and internal logic are not among Red Dwarf's assets.

It was something to do with the hologram technology starting to degrade after all this time. If you watch Dave for long enough the relevant episode will be on about ten times over.

Thoroughly enjoyed Samsara. Touched on some classic RD memes (remember the luck virus and Rimmerworld?) and with a clever narrative, switching between now and 3 million years ago. Some genuine laugh-out-loud moments too, notably Cat misidentifying the skeleton orgy as a game of Twister. Excellent series so far. After the dire episodes, when they ruined the whole dynamic by introducing a different Kochansky back in season 8 (?), looks like RD is back on track.

Thoroughly enjoyed Samsara. Touched on some classic RD memes (remember the luck virus and Rimmerworld?) and with a clever narrative, switching between now and 3 million years ago. Some genuine laugh-out-loud moments too, notably Cat misidentifying the skeleton orgy as a game of Twister. Excellent series so far. After the dire episodes, when they ruined the whole dynamic by introducing a different Kochansky back in season 8 (?), looks like RD is back on track.
Yeah, Chloe Annett joined as Kochansky part way through series 7, and while it didn't bother me, most fans disliked her. In fact, most fans dislike everything beyond series 6. I'm encouraged that many of those fans are calling these new episodes the 'best since series 6'.

I enjoyed Samsara more than the previous episode, Twentica. I've seen the following episode, Give and Take, on UKTV Play, and enjoyed that even more.

Another thumbs up for the latest RD episode from me, glad to say I laughed quite a bit.

Aargh, I missed it!

Yep, found it. :cool:

Back