• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

MrRING

Android Futureman
SMEG ME! Red Dwarf Film ???

Anybody know the status of the Red Dwarf film? Earth needs more Dwarf, direly.

Filming is due to start in May 2004

So says the IMDb.

The Plot:

RED DWARF THE MOVIE is set in the distant future where Homo Sapienoids, a fearsome combination of flesh and machine, and the next stage of human evolution, have taken over the solar system and almost wiped out the human race.

The only survivors are the crews of long-haul space freighters that left Earth before the conflict began. The Sapienoids send forth fleets of Death Ships to hunt them down. One by one - the human ships fall, until only one remains.

Its name - Red Dwarf...
:rolleyes:

The thing is, I actually thought that they were on the verge of starting filming for years! I have the American compilations of the mess-ups called "Smeg-Ups" and "Smeg-Outs", and they are about 4 years old and they make it sound like the film is just around the corner. I even thought I read that Madonna had already filmed a cameo...

Dark Detective said:
So says the IMDb.
Funny how, every year since 199-, commencement of filming of the RD movie has always been 'at the end of the year' or 'early next year', but never 'underway just like we said it would be'... :hmph:

their film info on the official site hasn't been updated since april last year . . .

although if the film is anything like the last few series it might be a good thing if it doesn't come out:hmph:

As I understand it, it's hit a bunch of delays, mainly around securing funding, Chloe Annette getting pregnant, actor availability and other issues.

I read a quote by Craig Charles saying that filming is supposed to start this year, but i've heard similar since the last season aired.

Another series would be good though, as long as they pick up after number six and kind of ignore the last two.....although that fun park ride through Rimmers mind in series 7 is still one of the most funny and scary things i have ever seen!

Does anyone know what Chris Barrie is doing nowadays? he just sort of slipped of the radar.

Chloe Anette!!! Please god, not Chloe Annette.......woman couldn't act her way out of a paper bag.......

Egan said:
Does anyone know what Chris Barrie is doing nowadays? he just sort of slipped of the radar.
Didn't I hear something about Lara Croft's butler in the Tomb Raider flix? (Not seen them, but I thought I'd heard something of the sort...)

Zygon said:
Didn't I hear something about Lara Croft's butler in the Tomb Raider flix? (Not seen them, but I thought I'd heard something of the sort...)

He was in the first one. I admit I watched it but I was young and needed the thrills...

Admit it you've seen them and are to embarrassed to say so.

We went to see it because we were late and Shrek had already started, and it wasn't bad actually. Lots of masonic conspiracy!

Lillith said:
Chloe Anette!!! Please god, not Chloe Annette.......woman couldn't act her way out of a paper bag.......
Look, we can't get Clare Grogan, this time round, let's get that piece of upper class totty that's been hanging around the producer, what's her name, the horsey looking one?

Strange - I'm sure I heard something a couple of years ago about how they were in the progress of filming, but Chis Barrie stormed off the set because of constant script changes, and that the whole project was about to go down the pan?

Anyone else heard the same? Or did I dream it? :snore:

River_Styx said:
I've never even played the games -PC RPGs drive me up the wall. Decades of tech. development on, and they're still not a patch on paper, pencils and dice around the dinner table... :(

Is anything happening with this film? Or is it dead? Or filmed but unedited?

Zygon said:
River_Styx said:
I've never even played the games -PC RPGs drive me up the wall. Decades of tech. development on, and they're still not a patch on paper, pencils and dice around the dinner table... :(

My friend had me try a Dungeons and Dragons-type game once with some people he knew who all played that sort of thing, I really found it incredibly dull and have never participated since. Tomb Raider on the other hand, was quite a good PC game ;) And I think I'd maybe class it as "Action" more than "RPG", RPG games are like World of Warcraft where you need to go about killing monsters and doing quests to gain XP and proceed to the next level (I'm stuck on level 11, which isn't very high). They keep a lot of daft numbers about your ability to do things too, like your ability to whack people with maces, which is getting a bit excessive for me even though the computer does it all for you :)

The Yithian said:
http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/

Go To 'Movie Deck' - though i don't know how current it is.

Archive.org reckons that "Movie Deck" page was last updated August 2003, so that's a bit old. Last I heard it was to start filming 2005, around about now, but on it's IMdb page it's still listed as "Pre-production" and slated for beginning in January 2005, and someone on the IMdb messageboards points out that all the cast are currently on other projects anyway, so who knows.

Well, there doesn't seem to have been anything updated on the film for a while.

Danny John Jules couldn't make rehearsals because he was filming Blade II? There doesn't seem to be much later than that on the site.

Sunk without trace. At least until they see how The Hitch Hiker's Guide does at the box office, I suspect.

Didn't the film also suffer from the Craig Charles rape allegations??

Entia non multi said:

And bloody allegations is all they were. I was soooo glad they turned out to be false.

I actually had to put all the sordid details that that woman made up into a police computer - which was all deleted after he was found not guilty.

Oh incidentally I like Craig Charles :D

Elffriend said:
Entia non multi said:

And bloody allegations is all they were. I was soooo glad they turned out to be false.

I actually had to put all the sordid details that that woman made up into a police computer - which was all deleted after he was found not guilty.

Oh incidentally I like Craig Charles :D

True but having a key character accused of rape, and I use the word character tp describe Craig Charles as who else could have played Mister Lister???

Help needed - Red Dwarf

Not really worthy of a Fortean forum-

The second funniest gag ever on TV, after 'four candles' was
Rimmer: 'Go to amber(?) alert'
Kryten: 'Amber alert it is sir'.
Rimmer: 'My God, go to red alert'....
Kryten: 'Are you sure, Sir? It'll mean changing the bulb' (or something like that)

Any way, Little Miss Slejpner (15) thinks she is the world's expert and says that was in series 8 (the naff last one where they're always in prison), whereas Mrs Slejpner and I are sure it was much earlier. Can anyone help prevent the breakup of an otherwise well-balanced family?

Quite OT, but this amused me:
How much of the show is based on real scientific theory?
Doug Naylor is a voracious researcher, and his shelves are lined with books on quantum theory and new technologies. Huge amounts of the show have been influenced by real theories - including the nanobots, the stasis booth and the dimension theory of reality (!). A Brief History of Time author Professor Stephen Hawking remains a big fan of the show. One episode of The 10%ers - Grant Naylor's talent agency sit-com - included a reference to A Brief History of Time: The Musical (which featured the song 'Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principal A-Go-Go' and starred Jason Donovan as an electron).

Also another RD thread here:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13119

Methinks this should all be Fortean Cultured!

No I think it was earlier too. I remember seeing that on a blooper tape, and I remember where I watched that. That would place it to 1995 or 1996 ish. I'm not sure when the last series aired but I'm sure it was after that.
Hope that helps

Certainly wasn't series 8, as it happened when they were still on Starbug. I think it was series 3 or 4, but it's been a long time since I've seen any of them.

I'd say it was earlier too - I remember seeing it (but that may have been on a clips show), and I gave up on Red Dwarf before the end. The last straw for me was when they bought in Kochanski as a bit of eye-candy, clearly as a prop for slacker writing and falling viewing figures.

Series 6 - Legion. First broadcast 14th October 1993.

Er, not a geek. Just have, er, connections.

Back