• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Red Heifer

A

Anonymous

Saw something on TV the other day about Israel having a pure red heifer cow. Apparantly it's supposed to signify the coming of God the Messiah or something, and prophesises the rebuilding of the Temple on the Mount (Isn't this happening?).

Anyone know what I'm on about?

Apocalypse Cow

I'm thinking of putting together a web site to track Christian fundamentalists' attempts to destroy the world, and I'd like to find sources for the following things that I vaguely remember reading about:
  1. Not too long ago, there was a short article in FT about a joint effort by ranchers in Texas and a group in Israel to breed a special cow that was supposed to be an omen of the end times. I don't remember anything else about it, and since I have no idea where most of my old issues are I can't look it up. Can someone give me any more information on this?
  2. I read an article (I think it was written a couple of months after the WTC attack) where a U.S. congressman was quoted as saying he supported Israel because of its importance in Biblical prophecies. What was his name, and what exactly did he say? Are there similar quotes from other people in government?
  3. Did someone in the Reagan administration say that we needed to use up all the earth's resources before Jesus returned?
    [/list=1]

Re: Apocalypse Cow

Tezcatlipoca said:
I'm thinking of putting together a web site to track Christian fundamentalists' attempts to destroy the world, and I'd like to find sources for the following things that I vaguely remember reading about:
  1. Not too long ago, there was a short article in FT about a joint effort by ranchers in Texas and a group in Israel to breed a special cow that was supposed to be an omen of the end times. I don't remember anything else about it, and since I have no idea where most of my old issues are I can't look it up. Can someone give me any more information on this?
  2. I read an article (I think it was written a couple of months after the WTC attack) where a U.S. congressman was quoted as saying he supported Israel because of its importance in Biblical prophecies. What was his name, and what exactly did he say? Are there similar quotes from other people in government?
  3. Did someone in the Reagan administration say that we needed to use up all the earth's resources before Jesus returned?
    [/list=1]

1. Are you writing a book? Reckon there's enough material to write a book on this subject. Good luck anyway.

I vagully remember the cow thing...I'll have a look tongiht.

Don't forget the claim by one of the Generals in Iraq that America was fighting 'for christian ideals' (or something like that.) Unsuprisingly noone in the administration critisised him.

I'll track down a story about how right-to-life groups are sneeking in anti-abotrtion laws in America for you too.

and here's a little bit about the Roman Catholic church from the same site:

# 21. THE VACITCAN'S UN STATUS CHALLENGED
Title: Giving the Vatican the Boot
Source: Ms. Magazine, October/November 1999
Author: Laura Flanders
Faculty Evaluator: Laurel Holmstrom
Student Researchers: Corey Hale & Katie Anderson

A special delegation to the Vatican, the Holy See, holds a position in the United Nations that is more powerful than any other non-governmental organization (NGO), enjoying the same status as politically neutral Switzerland. The Holy See claims to be the representative of "the entire people of God," and promotes its agendas by threatening to "pull out" of any of the 300,000 health care facilities it owns worldwide, if the UN should attempt to force any of those facilities to provide abortion services or contraception services. This threat creates a hostage situation for poorer countries that are reliant on the church for poverty relief and basic health care. The See Change Campaign was launched to challenge the Vatican's power. Frances Kissling, president of Catholics for a Free Choice asks, "Why should an entity that is in essence 100 square acres of office space and tourist attractions in the middle of Rome, with a citizenry that excludes women and children, have a place at the table where governments set policies? If the Vatican is a state, then EuroDisney deserves a place on the Security Council." This spring, the Churches opposition prevented UN peacekeepers from distributing RU 486 to rape victims in Kosovo.

http://www.projectcensored.org/publications/2000/11_25.html#21

Mythopoeika said:
Are you writing a book? Reckon there's enough material to write a book on this subject. Good luck anyway.

I wasn't planning on it; mostly I'm just trying to win an argument with my friends, who don't believe me when I tell them that the Christians are plotting to destroy the world. :( (I wouldn't believe me either if I were them--that's why I need to gather the evidence.)

The cow thing is harmless and silly, but it makes me very nervous when these people are put in positions of power. Unfortunately, it's hard to warn people about the dangers of Christians in government without sounding sort of crazy.

How do you mean 'destroy the world'?

The Virgin Queen said:
Don't forget the claim by one of the Generals in Iraq that America was fighting 'for christian ideals' (or something like that.) Unsuprisingly noone in the administration critisised him.

Yeah. (Bush did say it "doesn't reflect what the government thinks", but that's not quite a criticism, and they let him keep his post.)

And I seem to remember Bush referring to the Afghanistan war as a "crusade".

escargot said:
How do you mean 'destroy the world'?

I mean that they think it's time for an apocalypse, and they are taking steps they think will speed up the process. They want that stuff from the Book of Revelations to happen.

(I don't believe they're actually capable of destroying the world, but I think they can do a lot of damage while attempting it.)

Tezcatlipoca said:
I mean that they think it's time for an apocalypse, and they are taking steps they think will speed up the process.

For example, some people over here were in favor of the invasion of Iraq because they thought it fulfilled a Biblical prophecy.

Tezcatlipoca said:
I mean that they think it's time for an apocalypse, and they are taking steps they think will speed up the process. They want that stuff from the Book of Revelations to happen.

(I don't believe they're actually capable of destroying the world, but I think they can do a lot of damage while attempting it.)

I always thought that their main threat was political ie. the push to limit freedoms (see my link to the story about abortions.) I've never actualy thought about them as bringers of the apocolips just bringers of a totalatarian neo-cocsertive fundamentalist christian state (I have copyrighter the 'totalatarian...state' form so don't go copying it now.) :D

http://www.cfga.force9.co.uk/TeleRH.htm

This red cow stuff sounds very dangerous to me. The militants want to use it as an excuse to begin the construction of the Third Temple in Jerusalem. The only way to do that would be to knock down and destroy one of Islam's holiest shrines, the Al-Aqsa Mosque. Doing that would unleash an overwhelming backlash from the Muslim world.
I'm not sure if the red cow mentioned in the above link is still alive or what the latest is, however. I can report that there's a very nice pub in Slough called The Red Cow. :)

Bill Robinson

Tezcatlipoca said:
[*]I read an article (I think it was written a couple of months after the WTC attack) where a U.S. congressman was quoted as saying he supported Israel because of its importance in Biblical prophecies. What was his name, and what exactly did he say? Are there similar quotes from other people in government?

[/list=1]

This

[long] article from progressive Xian magazine Sojourners on Christian Zionism, may be relevant.

EDIT: Can't quite get the exact post to come up with the link, but it's my post about halfway down page two of the thread.

The Virgin Queen said:
I always thought that their main threat was political ie. the push to limit freedoms (see my link to the story about abortions.)

That's probably true, but it isn't what I'm researching. (By the way, thanks for the links. I wasn't aware that the Vatican had a seat at the U.N., and it's disturbing to see how they're using their influence.)

What I'm currently interested in is a tendency I've observed in Christian fundamentalists, not only to think it would be nice if the world ended, but to feel like God needs their help to make it happen. (As the cow project demonstrates, not even omens can be trusted to occur without human intervention.)

I tracked down Item #3: James Watt, the Secretary of the Interior under Ronald Reagan, frequently said things like "we don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand." And, more recently, Senator Rick Santorum said essentially the same thing. (See here.)

Apocalyptic preacher Jack Van Impe claims the White House asked him for policy advice:

"I am not sure whether [Bush] knows all of the prophecies and how deep of a student he has been in God's Word, but I was contacted a few weeks ago by the Office of Public Liaison for the White House and by the National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice to make an outline. And I've spent hours preparing it. I will release this information to the public in September, but it's in
his hands.

"Bush will know exactly what is going to happen in the Middle East and what part he will have under the leading of the Holy Spirit of God. So, it's a tremendous time to be alive."

Big Bill Robins said:
http://www.cfga.force9.co.uk/TeleRH.htm

This red cow stuff sounds very dangerous to me. The militants want to use it as an excuse to begin the construction of the Third Temple in Jerusalem. The only way to do that would be to knock down and destroy one of Islam's holiest shrines, the Al-Aqsa Mosque. Doing that would unleash an overwhelming backlash from the Muslim world.
I'm not sure if the red cow mentioned in the above link is still alive or what the latest is, however. I can report that there's a very nice pub in Slough called The Red Cow. :)

Bill Robinson

Thank you for finding that. If it is the same cow as in the Fortean Times article, it's interesting that they're calling it a "miracle", when it's actually the result of a selective breeding program.

Re: Re: Apocalypse Cow

lopaka said:
This

[long] article from progressive Xian magazine Sojourners on Christian Zionism, may be relevant.

It is relevant, and very interesting.

I liked the Jesus quote:

Jesus was challenged by a type of apocalyptic Zionist question just prior to his ascension, when he was asked if it was time to restore the kingdom to Israel. He rejected the idea and told his followers that it was not for them to know the "times or the seasons" that God has chosen. In other words, do not take prophetic texts and turn them into an apocalyptic scenario of the end times and strive to use scripture in a predictive and reductionist form of prophecy.

Why won't Christians listen to Jesus?

Big Bill Robins said:

There's a longer article at http://www.jpost.com/com/Archive/25.May.1997/Features/Article-0.html

Big Bill Robins said:

Former Jewish Underground member Yehuda Etzion, ringleader of a plot to blow up the Dome of the Rock in the 1980s, was quoted in the Sunday Telegraph as saying: "We have been waiting 2,000 years for a sign from God, and now he has provided us with a red heifer."

Comment from televangelist JVIM:

Have you heard of Israel making parts of the temple so that it can be assembled and rebuilt the same way as it was the first time, as mentioned in I Kings 6:7? Is this is true, the temple could be assembled in a short amount of time, right?

Tom & Helen Sinclair

East Sparta, OH

RVI: Lets take a look at what is happening in Israel right now. We found this reported in Israel Today "Priests are to train on temple model between Jerusalem and Jericho, and this is home to a model that has been built. It covers about 269,000 square feet and it will function as a training site to prepare priests for services in the 3rd temple to be built in Jerusalem". Whoa, Jack. This is pretty exciting.

JVI: I am so excited to share this information! It is built! It is the replica of what is coming soon. And they've built it so they can prepare and practice all of their sacrifices. They are pulling in all they are the Levites. You cannot be a priest lest your name is Cohen or something similar to it because they were of the tribe of Levi that did the temple services. They're doing the temple services.

They're bringing in the instruments. They're talking about preparing the red heifer. They've got everything they need. All they have to do is build the same temple on the Dome of the Rock area and begin their worship and that happens, of course, when the European union gives them that permission in Daniel 9:27, to build a temple and have their own sacrifices and oblations and after 42 months, he stops it. The temple is desecrated and then our Lord Jesus comes back and He sits in the temple for the next 1,000 years in Ezekiel chapter 40 to 48. But think of it. The replica of the genuine temple is already made, 269,000 square feet. And they're preparing every service for the big thing that will come soon in Jerusalem. Jesus is coming and soon.

A BIBLE prophecy predicting the End of Days is feared to come true after the first “red heifer in 2000 years” was born in Israel.

The Temple Institute in Jerusalem announced the calf’s birth on YouTube, saying it would undergo “extensive examination” to determine if it is red all over.

According to The Sun, if the female baby cow is found to be “blemish free”, the Institute will declare that the calf “brings the promise of reinstating Biblical purity to the world”.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...s/news-story/f02da2eaf05159137d281a2dc5cd39d1

"We have been waiting 2,000 years for a sign from God, and now he sends us a golden calf - with rust!" :dunno:

No red heifer born anywhere for 2000 years? Hmmm.
:bs:

The Temple Institute in Jerusalem announced the calf’s birth on YouTube, saying it would undergo “extensive examination” to determine if it is red all over. According to The Sun, if the female baby cow is found to be “blemish free”, the Institute will declare that the calf “brings the promise of reinstating Biblical purity to the world”.

So... Biblical purity? Is that when everybody burns their Bibles because they're obviously wrong, and one does not knowingly sup from a poisoned wellspring ?

If you are curious then check out You Tube for the Jewish sacrifice made last passover; nearest to the Temple Mount yet.

There is a Temple Institute website showing all the items made ready for a Third Temple.

I too have heard that a pre-fabricated Temple is in existance. I assume that Levites or Priests would have to assemble it to be ritually clean?

Not heard anything of the Red Heifer in recent weeks. Will have to Google.

POSTSCRIPT:

Just been a-Googling. It seems that the Red Heifer will be periodically checked for fear it develops a blemish. Even two non-red hairs will disqualify it.

Back