• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

References To The Green Man

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Have found articles on "The Green Man" in the following series or journals. Am still looking for particular issues of the following and will pay whatever we can negotiate :) In particular I'm looking for some issues of the Earth Mysteries magazines. I know that some national daily newspapers are in here - the Independent for example, but I've got all those.

upload_2017-12-3_17-33-51.png

upload_2017-12-3_17-34-18.png

upload_2017-12-3_17-34-52.png

upload_2017-12-3_17-35-22.png

upload_2017-12-3_17-35-57.png

upload_2017-12-3_17-36-32.png

upload_2017-12-3_17-36-57.png

I have several copies of Northern Earth, 3rd Stone and At the Edge from back in the 90's. When I've got a bit of time I'll go through them for any relevant content and let you know.

I don't really want to let go of the magazines, but I'll be quite happy to scan and email, or photocopy and send (depending on which bits of my hardware aren't working that day).

I don't really want to let go of the magazines, but I'll be quite happy to scan and email, or photocopy and send (depending on which bits of my hardware aren't working that day).

:bdown: Oh I say! totally magnificent! :cheer:

Haven't forgotten about this - will be home on Tuesday to do a bit of digging. But, knowing how easily sidelined I am I will probably find myself at four in the morning reading articles about medieval puddle scrying in the West Riding of Yorkshire, or toad racing and it's effect on milk yields in seventh century Northumbria - so it might be a couple of days later before information starts surfacing.

From my neck o the woods....

An intricate wood carving of a mysterious face from folklore is now keeping a watchful eye over a Warwickshire nature reserve.

Honed from an ash tree brought down in a storm, the carving depicts the Green Man, a mythical entity who looks after plants and animals.

0005B9AF-E11B-125C-8A0880C328EC0000.jpg

The sculpture has been unveiled at the entrance to Swift Valley Park, Rugby, a huge area of wetland, grassland and woodland opened by TV naturalist David Bellamy in 2003.

The reserve is already home to dragonflies, kingfishers and waterfowl, while swans have been encouraged to nest on the nearby River Swift.

The carving was commissioned after many people complained the entrance to the public park was unclear.

Cllr Bill Shields, the borough council's portfolio holder for leisure, said: "This is a real first for Rugby and one that will put the entrance of Swift Valley Park on the map.

"It's great to see such craftsmanship used to create such an eye-catching piece of sculpture that will form a local landmark."

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/beware-green-man-watching-3135773

It’s aged very well since then and makes a striking photo subject.

Some very intriguing publications in there. Things like Folklore and Gloucestershire Earth Mysteries seem obvious but International Button Bulletin and The Wine News are a mystery in themselves. :clap:
Unfortunately I can't help though!

International Button Bulletin and The Wine News are a mystery in themselves.

You know you are getting somewhere when a librarian at the Mitchell comes over to "see if you are all right" because your searches have triggered some sort of gibberish flag!

or maybe it was a terrorism flag? :axem:

Back