• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Reincarnation? Recalling Past Lives (From Memory; In Dreams)

I used to work with a woman whose only brother died in a motorcycle accident when he was a teenager. Some years later, the woman got married and eventually had two sons of her own. When her elder son was about four years old he began making statements such as, "A long time ago I was in an accident but I'm alright now." He would also talk about driving fast on motorcycles. This sort of talk went on for about a year. My colleague said her son, who was in his twenties when she told me about this, later had no memory of making these statements.

Could the boy have overheard family members discussing the tragedy and internalised the details? Four seems a young age at which to comprehend such an incident, even partially, but I know nothing about child psychology. It was certainly an odd story.
When my grandson was 3 he asked me once "Do you remember when I was big and you were little?"

When my nephew was 3 he talked about being worried about his wife and kids, he had names for them and it got to be a family joke (my in-laws are idiot) to ask him how the wife and kids were when they saw him. He didn't know how they were and it would distress him but he quit talking about them and seemingly forgot.

My cousin who is 13 years younger than I started getting up in the morning saying things like "Last night the housed burned and me and my mamma and sister burned up. But it is ok, I have a new mamma now." or "Last night I was pirate and I was a very bad man. My ship was shot with cannons and I drownded."

I think there is an age when kids do remember things and are able to verbalize them, then they forget and live their current life.

There seems to be a lot more awareness nowadays, especially about children mentioning a part life (there's a huge Facebook group dedicated to it) but it does raise a few questions like just how important are bonds that a formed here, for sake of argument someone who has had ten lives may have 10 different families and of course the members of the family may have another 10 each and so on, one suspects that the bonds made in life are only for the purpose of life and don't carry on after death )although I have read that there is a plain of illusion where the afterlife is exactly how you imagine it to be and you stay there for as long as you want, and I guess if you are not ready to move on to the next level, you reincarnate

I know the Bible isn't literally true, BUT when Eve ate the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge, that was originally forbidden,
did that not give human beings the understanding of Good and Evil?
And with that, we assume,freedom of CHOICE? (Unlike the animal kingdom, who mainly obey instinct.)

The older I get ( I'm in my late 70's) the more I reckon we will get the CHOICE of being reincarnated, or to stay and move on in the spirit world.
BUT if we choose to stay in the spirit world, we may still have to face our Karma in a different way!

I have no idea whether we will be allowed to choose a totally different family, if we return.
Perhaps it will be the same characters with different colours skins and names!
Perhaps we've still got to overcome our own particular faults and failings, one way or another!

I think if you believe in reincarnation you come back, if you don’t—you won’t. I do past life tarot readings and the people who come to me, feel a connection to someone who has passed and want to learn more. Aside from a regular tarot deck, I also have two decks that were created specifically to learn about past lives. On the other hand, if someone is a Christian, they might not believe in reincarnation; instead they believe in heaven. I believe in reincarnation because our bodies are energy, and you don’t destroy energy. But I have no doubt when I die, the “me” as I am now will cease to exist.

There seems to be a lot more awareness nowadays, especially about children mentioning a part life (there's a huge Facebook group dedicated to it) but it does raise a few questions like just how important are bonds that a formed here, for sake of argument someone who has had ten lives may have 10 different families and of course the members of the family may have another 10 each and so on, one suspects that the bonds made in life are only for the purpose of life and don't carry on after death )although I have read that there is a plain of illusion where the afterlife is exactly how you imagine it to be and you stay there for as long as you want, and I guess if you are not ready to move on to the next level, you reincarnate
Edgar Cayce, the 'Sleeping Prophet', stated that groups of souls reincarnate together over centuries to help work out their issues together.

My father collected books about Cayce which I read constantly as a child and teenager. Fascinating. :nods:

Edgar Cayce, the 'Sleeping Prophet', stated that groups of souls reincarnate together over centuries to help work out their issues together.
That, to my experience, really seems true.
My father collected books about Cayce which I read constantly as a child and teenager. Fascinating. :nods:
Mine too. I wonder if Cayce's books were very popular/bestselling at a particular time?

That, to my experience, really seems true.

Mine too. I wonder if Cayce's books were very popular/bestselling at a particular time?
Dad had a large library of Fortean subjects such as ghosts, UFOs, Bigfoot etc and I read them all over and over.
I don't know where he had them from. They certainly weren't on sale at Smiths!

Yep, same here. Thank gawd our parents were open-minded and curious enough to read & collect such books - our lives would've been much poorer otherwise. :)

I don't believe in reincarnation, myself, but a friend who did would constantly tell me that my insatiable curiosity to know how things worked and why things were the way they were was because I was a 'young' soul, and I was still in my wonderment phase, and that after a few more goes around the merry-go-round, I'd be cured of that.

Was always intrigued by the image, though I never subscribed.

I really like things/ material/ religious ideas from India but am not at all interested in things from Africa.
It makes me wonder if I had a past life in India? (I've been strictly veggie since 1958.)

Dad had a large library of Fortean subjects such as ghosts, UFOs, Bigfoot etc and I read them all over and over.
I don't know where he had them from. They certainly weren't on sale at Smiths!
I remember Bufora had a book store where you ticked a box for the item/s you wanted and then sent the form in with a cheque or postal order, so maybe that sort of thing?

I remember Bufora had a book store where you ticked a box for the item/s you wanted and then sent the form in with a cheque or postal order, so maybe that sort of thing?
Also, I used to subscribe to several published catalogues, who would send updates through the post - you could order by cheque/PO, as you say. There was also a book club (I can't remember which one) that used to put out some books that can now be fairly regarded as Fortean classics - Mystery Animals of Britain and Ireland by Graham McEwan, for example, and Phenomenon by John Spencer and Hilary Evans etc.

When my grandson was 3 he asked me once "Do you remember when I was big and you were little?"

When my nephew was 3 he talked about being worried about his wife and kids, he had names for them and it got to be a family joke (my in-laws are idiot) to ask him how the wife and kids were when they saw him. He didn't know how they were and it would distress him but he quit talking about them and seemingly forgot.

My cousin who is 13 years younger than I started getting up in the morning saying things like "Last night the housed burned and me and my mamma and sister burned up. But it is ok, I have a new mamma now." or "Last night I was pirate and I was a very bad man. My ship was shot with cannons and I drownded."

I think there is an age when kids do remember things and are able to verbalize them, then they forget and live their current life.
I slightly struggle with this but don't want to pee on anyone's bonfire so I say the followin with respect and I am aware that ultimately this is just my opinion.

It is just that they are at that age of becoming self-aware and concepts such as life and death. Then they are exposed to books, comic and the tv and learn about little boys like them but have different lives and some of whom will sadly die in the fictional lives. So when they see a little boy on the tv who is like them but lives with a different family these themselves, or they see themselves grown-up like Dad but with a different wife and children.

Let's be honest here, pirates are especially popular with children's fiction writers and tv shows but in reality there weren't very many in comparison with the general population: so the odds of a child being a reincarnated pirate (very exciting) versus a peasant digging up turnips (not exciting) are pretty low.

Not saying I am closed to the idea of reincarnation but I do feel we need a set the evidence bar quite high

Last edited:
Back