• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Relax To See Ghosts?!

mxhaunted

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I’ve been on several Paranormal Vigils over the last few years and so far have seen not much at all. I think my problem is that I look too hard for ghosts and whatnot and when you look for things you don’t usually find them. Also when I go on vigils I get very uptight and nervous and this hinders me from seeing anything as well.

The only time I did see something was some faint lights flickering around the floor and walls of the basement level in Oxford prison… by this time (which was early in the morning) I had started to relax. Even when seeing the lights I was rather unfazed by it.

So my theory is that to be open to paranormal happenings it’s best to be as relaxed as possible (without being asleep). Can anyone backup and disprove me theory?

Cheers

MX

My web site

Where I work we have to walk through a well-creepy area. In the dead of night. A big old church, complete with a history of tragic deaths.

Most (8 out of 10) of the staff claim to have seen ghosty-type goings-on in this spooky zone. None of the 10 or so staff, including myself a non-believer, is ever relaxed when they walk through (or more likely run through) the church.

The 8 members of staff who claim to have seen ghosts and what-have-you are all female. The two spooked-out but otherwise unmolested members of staff are male. That aside, none of us is ever relaxed when crossing the church.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure that thinking of ghosts as a kind of psychic 'magic eye' picture is terribly helpful, but the cynic might say that in a state of relaxation one's mind is searching for stimulus and is more likely to whisk some up from the perceptible ingredients that present themselves.

i have read that a relaxed, chatty atmosphere, or reading a book is conductive to ghostly activity, and i have also read that the bustle and activity on commercial ghost hunts can trigger its own paranormal happenings (not anything that is already present) my own opinion is neither is important, you just have to be in the right place at the right time and be very lucky

I've noticed when watching various American 'Paranormal Ghost Hunting' programs, some episodes are set at 'Haunted House' attractions.
Now setting aside my immediate cynicism at the likelihood it's just good advertising for the attraction.
And the the investigating team are not faking the results . . .

They often record paranormal images and sounds.
Now considering these venues are often recently built, with no history of hauntings or tragedies.

Are these new 'ghosts' attracted to or caused by the atmosphere of fear these attractions seek to create ?

Seeing as how those are entertainment programmes that would never, ever, EVER say "Sorry, we didn't find any evidence of the paranormal at all!" I think we can deduce they're unreliable as proof anything happens in those places whatsoever.

I concur with this; people tend to experience phenomena when they least expect it, or are distracted or doing other things. If you go looking for so-called paranormal events, they very rarely occur. I personally think its something to do with the electrical activity of the brain - I've not done much research on this, but I think the beta rhythms of the brain inhibit ghostly activity.

just like love: happens when you least expect it, inhibits procedural memory . . .

Seeing as how those are entertainment programmes that would never, ever, EVER say "Sorry, we didn't find any evidence of the paranormal at all!" I think we can deduce they're unreliable as proof anything happens in those places whatsoever.

I don’t know Ghost Hunters are pretty upfront if they’ve got nothing they can say is paranormal. But they do try and rule stuff out first. It’s the only ghost show I watch these days because it’s believable.

Anyway any time I have seen anything it’s when I wasn’t thinking about seeing something. I do think you are less likely to see something when you go looking.

I do wonder if people did some meditation on ghosts hunts if it would help more than just freaking each other out. :willy:

Conscious thought (or 'inner dialogue', as Castaneda and others have called it) represents a sort of mental noise that tends to mask / impede perception or receptivity to stimuli. Stopping or evading this ever-present internal dialogue is a key to heightening receptivity.

Conscious thought (or 'inner dialogue', as Castaneda and others have called it) represents a sort of mental noise that tends to mask / impede perception or receptivity to stimuli. Stopping or evading this ever-present internal dialogue is a key to heightening receptivity.
Much in the same way that an inner dialogue on the performance of a physical action, such hitting a ball, will impede one's ability to hit the ball.

Back