Relics

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The Ancient Greek Theatre is probably where St Genesius got it from.
Saints don't choose their emblems. Emblems are foisted on them long after they are dead by the Catholic Church.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Saints don't choose their emblems. Emblems are foisted on them long after they are dead by the Catholic Church.
Indeed not as by definition a saint is dead. I meant he as a saint got it from there ie the church gave it to him, not he as a person

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Indeed not as by definition a saint is dead. I meant he as a saint got it from there ie the church gave it to him, not he as a person
St Genesius had been an actor in Roman theatre which was derived from the Greek original. He would have been familiar with the old sock and buskin and might have approved.

Genesius has other 'jobs' as a patron saint (of lawyers, dancers, printers etc) so could have been given, I dunno, a wig? A tutu?

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
St Genesius had been an actor in Roman theatre which was derived from the Greek original. He would have been familiar with the old sock and buskin and might have approved.

Genesius has other 'jobs' as a patron saint (of lawyers, dancers, printers etc) so could have been given, I dunno, a wig? A tutu?
Most saints are multiple, could give them all of the above I suppose!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Most saints are multiple, could give them all of the above I suppose!
They'd need to be tagged with something easy for illiterate worshippers to recognise. The mask is highly appropriate for Genesius as he'd have seen ones like it in life.

St Gertrude has a cat. I'm not a Catholic but if I were she's the sort of saint I could get behind.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
They'd need to be tagged with something easy for illiterate worshippers to recognise. The mask is highly appropriate for Genesius as he'd have seen ones like it in life.

St Gertrude has a cat. I'm not a Catholic but if I were she's the sort of saint I could get behind.
Need the patience of a saint to have a cat at times!

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
A rare scientific examination of remains at Rome's Santi Apostoli church failed to validate them as relics of Saint Philip and Saint James the Younger. ...
Here are the bibliographic details on the published article, which is accessible (in full) at the link below.

Rasmussen, K.L., van der Plicht, J., La Nasa, J. et al.
Investigations of the relics and altar materials relating to the apostles St James and St Philip at the Basilica dei Santi XII Apostoli in Rome.
Herit Sci 9, 14 (2021).
https://doi.org/10.1186/s40494-021-00481-9

FULL ARTICLE:
https://heritagesciencejournal.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s40494-021-00481-9

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Reading this thread reminds me I had a cousin who was a buddy of John Paul II. I wish I would've asked him for a relic back when they were both alive. :(

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
As with most relics it is is probably not what it is purported to be and is some 11th century monks skull :(
That's part of the fun!

I’m not sure how accurate these reconstructions over skulls can be. There has to be room for creative interpretation there surely.
That';s also part of the fun :twothumbs:

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
That's part of the fun!

That';s also part of the fun :twothumbs:
Im guessing the church wont want to take the risk, but if someone could get a 3D scan of it there are computer programs that can do facial reconstruction from a scan.

feinman

Asymmetric Contact From Hyperdimensional Aliens.
Reaction score
I’m not sure how accurate these reconstructions over skulls can be. There has to be room for creative interpretation there surely.
I absolutely think so too. Sometimes they have a caricaturesque quality and one can almost always detect the hand or sensibility of the artist in the reconstruction, in the same way one can detect the artist in realist paintings. Subtlety matters, and with the Egyptian reconstructions and others, there is the whole endless race debate; phenotypes don't always match with "racial" interpretations, etc.