• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Remarkable Mice

Margaret Perthen finds gecko in Tesco bag of broccoli

A gecko has survived a flight across Europe in a heat-sealed bag, with nothing but broccoli for company.

Meet Gordon Gecko, found by shocked housewife Margaret Perthen in a bag of broccoli.

The 10cm (4in) lizard survived being heat sealed in a bag, before a 1,600km (1,000-mile) journey from Spain to Brentwood, Essex.

'I'm a healthy eater, so I buy a lot of vegetables - but I'm not sure a gecko is one of your five a day,' she joked.

Margaret added: 'I don’t know who was the most frightened – me or the gecko. I felt sorry for him, especially as he had lost his tail. I called it Gordon.'

The tiny stowaway made it all the way to a Tesco store in the UK. The supermarket chain have since apologised.

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/852688-spa ... i-in-essex

I once worked near a huge bakers near Wembley it was running alive with rats, the smell of rat urine was overpowering, as the shift ended the rats scurried over the dough shaped as bread and rolls, nobody cared, its what happens with factory food
*From a comment under another Tesco mouse and bread episode, (on Metro)*

Crisps? Mice have gone very low class of recent, a good cheddar was always par for the course - I bet they were Tesco Basics as well :p

Oh. My. God. :lol:

I told someone the other day that the world was getting more stupid by the day. Here's the proof.

The comments section is funny! :lol:

In fairness, he isn't actually blaming the gays so much as claiming that it's a by product of Tesco's dubious morality... which he bases not on any of the actual sh*t things they've done but on promoting pride in the run up to christmas.

Killer mice!

Inside every mouse lurks a natural-born killer. Researchers have identified the brain region that controls hunting, and have found a way to switch it on and off.

Ivan de Araujo at Yale University and his team have discovered that two sets of neurons in the mouse brain underpin the instinct to kill. One coordinates the pursuit of prey, while the other controls the neck and jaw muscles used for biting. Both are in the amygdala – the part of the brain involved in motivation, emotion and fear.

By modifying these neurons so they could be activated by laser light, a technique called optogenetics, the team were able to switch these circuits on whenever they wanted.

When the laser was off, the mice padded around their cages normally. But turning the laser on caused the mice to suddenly launch frenzied attacks on almost anything in their path: live crickets, fake insects or even sticks and bottle caps. After jumping on the “prey”, the mice grabbed it with their paws and repeatedly sunk in their teeth.

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...ers-when-brain-circuit-is-triggered-by-laser/

It's the potential for killer people I'm worried about. Although wouldn't humans be too complex to trigger any killing mechanism, or do the opposite and turn it off? At the moment, anyway.

It's the potential for killer people I'm worried about. Although wouldn't humans be too complex to trigger any killing mechanism, or do the opposite and turn it off? At the moment, anyway.

Flash a laser in someones eyes & they might try to kill you!

Yeah, I might have a strong objection if someone shines a laser in my eyes.

Yeah, but murderously so?!
No. Mind you, I have no way of knowing whether TPTB have altered my brain chemistry/DNA...

More vampire mice!

Bloodsucking mice are attacking the albatrosses of Midway Atoll

Now that is not a headline I thought I'd type when I got up this morning.

Nonetheless, science! So, here are the grisly details: Black-footed and Laysan albatrosses have thrived for decades on Midway Atoll in the north Pacific. Then in 2015, scientists began noticing birds with open, bloody wounds on their heads, necks and backs. What was going on? Were predatory owls or hawks attacking them?

Nope. Video footage uncovered the culprits – common house mice that were climbing onto the albatrosses and "eating them alive."

House mice aren't native to the island, but they'd been introduced 75 years ago and had coexisted without incident. The scientists eventually figured out what was going on: A drought on the island had made the mice desperately thirsty.

https://boingboing.net/2018/03/28/bloodsucking-mice-are-attackin.html

Makes a change from the cat/dog ate it. But if the mice did start eating it then there might be a munchies feedback loop.

Eight Argentine police officers have been dismissed for blaming missing drugs on mice.

Investigators discovered 540kg (1,191lb) of marijuana missing from a police warehouse in Pilar, north-west of Buenos Aires.

The city's former police commissioner, Javier Specia, and fellow officers told a judge the drugs were "eaten by mice".

Forensic experts doubted mice would see the drugs as food, and would have probably died if they had eaten it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-43738022

Reactions: Jim
More vampire mice!

Bloodsucking mice are attacking the albatrosses of Midway Atoll

Now that is not a headline I thought I'd type when I got up this morning.

Nonetheless, science! So, here are the grisly details: Black-footed and Laysan albatrosses have thrived for decades on Midway Atoll in the north Pacific. Then in 2015, scientists began noticing birds with open, bloody wounds on their heads, necks and backs. What was going on? Were predatory owls or hawks attacking them?

Nope. Video footage uncovered the culprits – common house mice that were climbing onto the albatrosses and "eating them alive."

House mice aren't native to the island, but they'd been introduced 75 years ago and had coexisted without incident. The scientists eventually figured out what was going on: A drought on the island had made the mice desperately thirsty.

https://boingboing.net/2018/03/28/bloodsucking-mice-are-attackin.html

Now those murderous mice have moved to Gough Island. Parachute cats in to deal with them!

Super-sized mice are killing millions of seabird chicks on a remote island in the South Atlantic, threatening some rare species with extinction.

According to a study from the RSPB, the mice have learned to eat the eggs and chicks of the many millions of birds that make Gough Island their home.

The group says that without action, the endangered Tristan albatross is likely to go extinct.

A campaign is planned to eradicate the mice entirely in 2020.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45918770

Now those murderous mice have moved to Gough Island. Parachute cats in to deal with them!

Super-sized mice are killing millions of seabird chicks on a remote island in the South Atlantic, threatening some rare species with extinction.

According to a study from the RSPB, the mice have learned to eat the eggs and chicks of the many millions of birds that make Gough Island their home.

The group says that without action, the endangered Tristan albatross is likely to go extinct.

A campaign is planned to eradicate the mice entirely in 2020.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45918770

Heard about this on t'wireless yesterday. The mice target fledglings and eat them alive over several days. Horrific.

The mice target fledglings and eat them alive over several days. Horrific.

In memory of those fledglings . . .

At half-past one today, the trap snapped shut. I was not expecting it, having baited the traps some weeks back.

Month-old quince-jelly seems to have aroused the curiosity of one rodent, enough to risk her nose in the trap.

It gets gruesome . . .

Posthumous Turds?

The trap was overturned and the tail was still moving. She was pissing copiously and this continued to pool on the lino, after the tail stopped moving. I decided that lunch should precede the disposal of the corpse.

By the time I returned to the task, she had done several turds. There was no other sign of life. Turning her over, I could see that it was a hard end: the bar had come down on the tip of her snout and one of her eyes had popped out.

Binned.

Now three fresh traps are baited for any relatives. :rcard:

Last edited:
poor thing

we have a remarkable guinea pig at our place, hes a young architect, loves to build and connect structures, good communicator and very articulate in his own way ... a great addition to our (small) family ...

In memory of those fledglings . . .

At half-past one today, the trap snapped shut. I was not expecting it, having baited the traps some weeks back.

Month-old quince-jelly seems to have aroused the curiosity of one rodent, enough to risk her nose in the trap.

It gets gruesome . . .

Posthumous Turds?

The trap was overturned and the tail was still moving. She was pissing copiously and this continued to pool on the lino, after the tail stopped moving. I decided that lunch should precede the disposal of the corpse.

By the time I returned to the task, she had done several turds. There was no other sign of life. Turning her over, I could see that it was a hard end: the bar had come down on the tip of her snout and one of her eyes had popped out.

Binned.

Now three fresh traps are baited for any relatives. :rcard:

You should get Trip Traps. They are highly entertaining, and humane. They trap the mice without injury and if your husband opens a Trip Trap with a mouse inside the mouse will fire itself out and into his face with the force of a bullet. He will then squeal and cack his pants.

That's what happened I bought one, anyway. You're supposed to release little Monty out in the wild.

if your husband opens a Trip Trap with a mouse inside the mouse will fire itself out and into his face with the force of a bullet. He will then squeal and cack his pants.

I seem to attract mice, not husbands!

It would be entertaining, though. :thought:

Back