• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

External Remote Viewing Experiment: Invitation / Progress

A

Anonymous

I am currently running a test to see if anyone can perform a supernatural act.

I have chosen 15 books. I own them all, so even if you know me and are familiar with my bookshelf you will not be able to eliminate any of the titles.

I have randomly selected one of the books and it is on my desk. You must identify which one it is by whichever paranormal means you deem effective.

You can view the books at the following page:

http://clarion.no-ip.org/books.php

The page has a script which randomises the order, so you should not take any meaning from its position in the list. Also listed are the ISBNs, so you can look up a synopsis if you get a sense of the book's subject.

I have written the book's identity and encrypted it using PGP. The result is a self-extracting file which you can download now and which you
will be able to decrypt with the key I will publish when each round finishes.

Just make your guess on the page, click submit and wait to see if you're gifted!

The results are in for round 3. Congratulations to Lucianarcy who was the only person to guess (sense?) that the book on my desk was Chocolat. Was it a fluke or genuine ability?

Round 4 is now under way.

Give us more time to view, please

TheBoyPaj,
I just came across this thread, and the first post was the invite to the test, and the second post was the answer to the test (round three? where was round 1 and 2?). Most of us on the board are unable to view so quickly.

If you give us a couple of days to view and reply, then that will give the test a better result, since more of us would be able to view and reply to the test.

This also allows viewers on the other side of the globe to participate in the test.

What will be the test for round 4?

(I don't feel like I have psi capabilities, but I continue trying to test myself to see if there happens to be anything.)

Thanks.

Hi,

I actually started this experiment on Saturday but it took a few days for me to get an account here, so it was just my other friends taking part. Each test lasts 48 hours, so you should have time for each one. It doesn't really matter that you have missed a couple, as you won't be scored against anyone else, only your own performance matters.

Round 4 is the same, but the computer picks another random book from the selection (note, it could be the same one again)

Thanks for taking part!

I put in my vote

I didn't try to visualize too hard. More like I tried "random chance", but if I have any psi capabilities, I may guess right anyway.

That's a good variety of books, too!

Winner of round 4 was Ersby, who correctly identified the Holland Guide on my desk. Round 5 has already begun, and ends at 00:00 GMT Monday.

The winner for round 5 was David Horman, correctly identifying the Tweenies book.

Round 6 is on. You know the drill.

No winners for Round 6. Come on people! Get those psychic powers into gear.

Round 7 is now running. Results on Friday.

The book experiment is still running, with round 8 now under way.
No one is yet emerging as a psychic star, but could you be the one?

Have a go now right here!

I just had a look at that site - and it says results will be published on Sunday 26/03/04! Do I get a special prize for spotting deliberate mistake?

Ah! Thank you very much.

As a prize, I would give you an extra clue to the identity of the book, but that would be unfair.

The results for the latest run of the book experiment are now published.

Lucianarchy was not successful on this occasion, but Meanderer was. Congratulations (but please don't take that as an endorsement of your powers! ;) )

Round 9 is now running.

Round 9 is over, and we're still looking for that elusive second hit.

Poor Darat has been plodding along and trying over and over, and has yet to get one hit! Keep at it. You only have to get one in the next three rounds to equal chance!

Round 10 is now running. Results on Thursday.

Round 10 is over, and still no second hit.

I've moved the latest book on top of my PC monitor. That way it should be more visible from above, and you are less likely to be distracted by other objects on my desk.

Round 11 ends Saturday.

Daenris managed to score a hit in round 12, successfully identifying Reservoir Dogs on top of my computer monitor.

Still no second hit, and Darat is close to demonstrating negative-psi! ;)

Round 12 is now running.

Round 12 is over. Mandymoofriend was the only person to identify the book.

Round 13 will have a shortened deadline, as my holiday means I will be unable to update the test on Wednesday. This means you only have until tomorrow (Tuesday 22:00 BST) to play.

Round 14 is over. I had a load of entries from what appeared to be the same person using multiple identities (same IP address). One of them was a hit, but the challenge will be for the person to use the same identity and to repeat the feat! I have decided to include them on the off-chance that it was a bunch of girl friends using the same computer at a sleepover (it's all girls names).

I'm also considering having a clearout of the results. Quite a few people have had one attempt, never to return. I may start filtering out the inactive participants.

Round 15 is going to be a long one, since I'm on holiday. Take your time now!

http://clarion.no-ip.org/books.php

Erm.. is anyone else on here actually contributing to this thread? Or indeed actually participating..?

Or is everyone just viewing it remotely ;)?

LOL Stu - I was wondering the same thing - although I did have a guess in an earlier round and, apparently, I was correct! However I have to admit that, in my opinion, it was completely and utterly a lucky guess. I just wish I was as lucky with the lottery.
No offence intended to the thread starter, and I know he has already stated that this isn't a scientific experiment, but I haven't actually grasped the point of it.

Nor me.

Unless he's an IP address spotter. Be careful out there...

My point is that this is a far more reliable method of testing remote viewing than the other method which is also being tried here, that of subjective judging.

And if you think it's just a lottery, well.. I suspect there's a reason for that. ;)

I'm joining in. Although it was a shame to spoil my 100% hit rate, I'm going to trying more often from now on.

TheBoyPaj said:
My point is that this is a far more reliable method of testing remote viewing than the other method which is also being tried here, that of subjective judging.

As I've explained in the other thread we don't just use judging - we get the receivers to pick from the list of images.

Emps

TheBoyPaj said:
And if you think it's just a lottery, well.. I suspect there's a reason for that. ;)

That I'm sceptical? or what?

Its not really reliable unless you can get the same bunch of people to guess in all the rounds.

There are obviously going to be huge constraints on any RV experiment done over the net. No-one is expecting to get a Nature paper out of the RV experiment. It is a bit of fun. Any "proof" of RV that can come out of it is severly limited by the fact that we can't prove that no-one is communicating with each other. Just like you can't prove that the books selected are the ones you say were selected.;)

You don't have to participate in ALL the rounds. Just a large enough number to be able to analyse the results.

And no, there's no proof that I really have the book on my monitor at all. But the chosen book is named in an encrypted file which can be downloaded throughout the experiment, so I cannot change the choice retrospectively.

Emperor said:
As I've explained in the other thread we don't just use judging - we get the receivers to pick from the list of images.

Emps

Do you mean this protocol?

The receivers send in there final impressions.
They get sent off to the judges.
The receivers then get given the list of images and are asked to pick the closest to their impressions.
Judges scorings and the receiver's picks are sent to the overseer who tidies things up and posts the results.

Sounds like there's judging going on to me.

Back