• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Well that's certainly a take on the incident.
The Lovecraft Investigations podcast on BBC Sounds have managed to link the Rendlesham Forest event with Lovecraft's The Whisperer in Darkness.

Interesting and believable evidence that the infamous Orford Ness lighthouse concealed a secret transmitter for the Orford Ness research facility and possible implications for the Rendlesham events (includes an informative history of the facility

Interesting and believable evidence that the infamous Orford Ness lighthouse concealed a secret transmitter for the Orford Ness research facility and possible implications for the Rendlesham events (includes an informative history of the facility

Infamous?
It did have an AIS transmitter, yes.
Shame they had to knock it down, but shoreline erosion would have done that anyway.

Went to a Thom Dolby gig a while back, which included a short documentary he made on the lighthouse. He lives nearby and the area inspired many of his songs.

And then dazzled with lightning from the film Gothic, all the while running on Wind Power! :reyes:
Seriously, he told a funny anecdote concerning Magnus Pyke; when Dolby wanted to include Pyke saying "She blinded me with science", Pyke chuckled and said "My boy, it's highly unlikely she could blind me with science!" Pyke went on to suggest he emote the line as if Pyke was utterly amazed she'd managed it!

Strange things can happen with high power transmission's later WW11 radars were rated up to 750KW,
and were known to stop passing car engines, the over the horizon radar at Orford ness must have been
much more powerful, The much more modern one at Fylingdales runs much higher frequency and power,
420-450 megs dependant on propagation and 2.5 mw said to consume as much power as a city the size
of Bradford,

Strange things can happen with high power transmission's later WW11 radars were rated up to 750KW,
and were known to stop passing car engines, the over the horizon radar at Orford ness must have been
much more powerful, The much more modern one at Fylingdales runs much higher frequency and power,
420-450 megs dependant on propagation and 2.5 mw said to consume as much power as a city the size
of Bradford,
Tech like this is now being deployed to jam drones.
Essentially, a drone jammer is a highly directional, powerful microwave emitter that can be pointed at a drone to disrupt electrical activity and radio control signals.

of Bradford,
The video states that the Cobra Mist radar at Orford Ness could, under certain conditions, make the tv ariels on local houses "glow"

Then you have high powered transmitters stopping car engines.

An unexplained glow in the sky and the car engine stopped: how many Cold War era UFO accounts does this remind you of..?!

Cobra Mist radar seems to have operated around 6 to 40 mhz, with up to 10MW
and was frequency agile for best propagation, the old 405 line tv operated down to 45 mhz
so the old tv aerials were tuned reasonably close to the frequency so I can see were under
the right conditions the aerials may glow, it's a wonder fires were not started in the tv's

of Bradford,
How does a high powered transmitter stop a car engine? Just curious.

Last edited:
By disrupting electrical and electronic systems. Even in a really old car with no fancy electronic gizmos, this would still affect the ignition system.
In simpler days, the car just started up again after the event. These days that should fry the electronics. Are there any accounts of modern cars getting fried by UFOs?

In simpler days, the car just started up again after the event. These days that should fry the electronics. Are there any accounts of modern cars getting fried by UFOs?
BUFORA got involved with this aspect of the UFO phenomenon:

https://www.bufora.org.uk/VEHICLE-INTERFERENCE-CASES.php

To the best of my knowledge these cases are nowadays not reported, either because of advances in car electronics or the end of the Cold War (or both)

By disrupting electrical and electronic systems. Even in a really old car with no fancy electronic gizmos, this would still affect the ignition system.
This was said to be how the foo fighters of WW2 were supposed to operate, by desynchronising (if that's a word) the bombers' ignition cycle.

A few years ago immobilisers and central locking systems were being affected by radio signals
in the shared military/ham radio band this seems to have been fixed by better filtering, I had a
Rover that would not unlock if low flying aircraft were about, a friends ex husband told her he
was on the Uppermill Holmfirth rd of Moors Murder infamy and said a green glow started to
grow and his car stopped, the glow faded and he could then restart it, he had got out of the
car and looked round but saw nothing but the glow, in all cases I know about no lasting harm
was done.
The immobilisers are on about 433 mhz right in the middle of the most used bit of the shared
band so no surprises there and the road the car stopped on is line of sight to the Emily Moor
tv mast with at the time a over 800 kw transmitter and now several 174kw transmitters .
There's a village Italy way on that has had lots of electrical house fires even when the power
was switched off and I seem to remember a case in the UK very similar, it was on a military
flight path and the Fox Hunter radar on Tornado's was suspected but never proven.

Back