• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Also worth mentioning....

More about Penniston’s ‘craft of unknown origin’

Penniston usually refers to what he allegedly encountered as being ‘a craft of unknown origin’ but has specifically and repeatedly denied that it was extraterrestrial. So where was it from? After undergoing regression hypnosis in September 1994 he seems to have become convinced that it was a craft from tens of thousands of years in the Earth’s future. According to what Penniston told the hypnotist, it contained our distant descendants returning to obtain genetic material to keep their ailing species alive: ‘They are time travellers. They are us,’ he said.

It sounds like the plot of a B movie, and very possibly that’s where it came from. A TV movie called Official Denial was broadcast on the Sci Fi channel in November 1993 and was released on video in May 1994, both within a year prior to Penniston’s hypnosis. In it, an alien craft is shot down by the USAF and lands in a forest. It contains creatures that are here  ‘To get genetic material to help them reproduce because their race is dying out.’ And where are they from? ‘They’re not aliens. They’re us. From the future – our future.’ The similarities with Penniston’s story including the statement ‘They are us’ are striking. This would not be the first time that a UFO witness under hypnosis has told a story from false memory based on a TV show. (Thanks to Stephan Könen for the tip-off and Adrian Frearson for help with research.)

http://www.ianridpath.com/ufo/pennistonnotebook.html

Official Denial (TV Movie 1993) - Plot Summary Poster
Official Denial (1993 TV Movie)
Plot
Showing all 1 items
Jump to:
Summaries
  • A man who claims to have been abducted by aliens is also abducted by a top secret government agency, the Majestic Group, who want him to attempt to communicate with the only surviving alien from a UFO shot down by the Air Force. Telepathically, the alien tells him it must be returned to its ship, where it will reveal a secret vital to the future of the planet.
    Alexander Lum <[email protected]>

No photos exist of Penniston's encounter, and the notebook seems to have been mostly blank when he first showed it to people, twenty years after the event. The dates are wrong, too.
notebook-600.webp

See

http://www.ianridpath.com/ufo/pennistonnotebook.html for more details.

Ridpath again on the meteor that sparked the story of a crashed UFO....

News of the World Rendlesham UFO headline

The British Astronomical Association’s Meteor Section Newsletter no. 4 (1981 February) summarized the various events of the night of 1980 December 25–26, including a brilliant fireball at 02.50 on December 26. The timing of this fireball matches the appearance of the bright object in the sky seen by security guards at Woodbridge air base that sparked off the Rendlesham Forest UFO chase.

Many believers have Rendlesham as the smoking gun of the proof aliens are visiting. Quite simply, this case is too important to be false. If Rendlesham is genuine misidentification, disinformation, hoax or even fantasy, what hope have other cases got?

Last edited:
Autokinesis can also happen in an environment with lots of dim lights, like low magnitude background stars, and a few brighter objects, like first magnitude stars and planets. This is because the sensitivity of the eye to bright stars is sufficient to allow colour vision, and the autokinetic effect can be seen more readily with the cones rather than the rods in the retina. A bright star can sometimes be seen to move against the background of dim stars.

Mind you, I'm not certain that the observers could see the dim stars in this case - but if they could, that would not prevent autokinetic movements.

I've seen very striking autokinetic effects involving bright lights apparently moving against a dim, but not featureless, background. It most certainly can be the explanation in this case, and there are many examples of observers who see apparent movements of stellar objects. The fact that several people saw this phenomenon makes it more likely, not less.
Interesting observations. In any case, given that, as I pointed out, the immediate area would have been fairly well illuminated, my judgment would be that autokinesis would have played little part. It certainly wouldn't have explained the red thing flying through the woods nor the (now a quite substantial 1 foot wide) beam five yards in front of the group.

I'm tending towards the Starlight scope being responsible for the beam phenomenon, but I could easily be wrong. The red/yellow light may have been a simple sodium lamp, which Halt may have been unfamiliar with.

From Ridpath’s investigation, which having been conducted close to the time of the incident probably gives a more accurate telling of events without the clouds of obfuscation we have to wade through today.

http://www.ianridpath.com/ufo/rendlesham1a.html
This of course totally contradicts the Halt version which is that the three depressions were distinctly not animal traces, seemed to indicate that something very heavy had impressed upon the frozen ground, and formed a near perfect equilateral triangle. In fact, both Halt and the Penniston-Burroughs pair seem to be describing an altogether smaller area. Looks as if Ridpath wasn't in the same place.

Ridpath again on the meteor that sparked the story of a crashed UFO....

News of the World Rendlesham UFO headline

The British Astronomical Association’s Meteor Section Newsletter no. 4 (1981 February) summarized the various events of the night of 1980 December 25–26, including a brilliant fireball at 02.50 on December 26. The timing of this fireball matches the appearance of the bright object in the sky seen by security guards at Woodbridge air base that sparked off the Rendlesham Forest UFO chase.

Many believers have Rendlesham as the smoking gun of the proof aliens are visiting. Quite simply, this case is too important to be false. If Rendlesham is genuine misidentification, disinformation, hoax or even fantasy, what hope have other cases got?
No, Rendlesham doesn't prove aliens are visiting! But none of the meteor/re-entry episodes can explain the fairly detailed accounts of observations made by local people, one at least of which seemed to point to a UFO seen hovering near the forest dripping some glowing residue and then descending abruptly into the trees.

I am getting a bit worried that the discussion is going down the "ET versus misidentification" path! I think you have to look at all the evidence and not try to force it into this very old and tired dichotomy. My money would still be on "ETs used as cover for accident in black project accident" scenario.

No, Rendlesham doesn't prove aliens are visiting! But none of the meteor/re-entry episodes can explain the fairly detailed accounts of observations made by local people, one at least of which seemed to point to a UFO seen hovering near the forest dripping some glowing residue and then descending abruptly into the trees.

I am getting a bit worried that the discussion is going down the "ET versus misidentification" path! I think you have to look at all the evidence and not try to force it into this very old and tired dichotomy. My money would still be on "ETs used as cover for accident in black project accident" scenario.

I am looking at the evidence. Just because it’s old doesn’t make it incorrect. Whereas much of the evidence from those present was made after the event and has been embellished and proved wrong.

I am getting a bit worried that the discussion is going down the "ET versus misidentification" path!

You’d like to know the truth, yes?

I am looking at the evidence. Just because it’s old doesn’t make it incorrect. Whereas much of the evidence from those present was made after the event and has been embellished and proved wrong.

You’d like to know the truth, yes?
Wouldn't we all? But we probably never will -- too much "noise," misdirection, disinformation.

The timing of this fireball matches the appearance of the bright object in the sky seen by security guards at Woodbridge air base that sparked off the Rendlesham Forest UFO chase.
It's seemingly an almost unimaginable coincidence?

The lights observed our first night, whatever the cause, remained visible for quite some time.

Plus, of course, we have similar UFO observations, for three consecutive nights.

Importantly, I highlighted Burroughs mention of same during the aforementioned ParaNet recording and have come across another reference.

It's from Halt In his recently noted tape recordered discussions with Larry Warren, published in, 'Left at East Gate', in which Halt refers to his involvement on the third night of occurences, querying of Warren:

'Which incident? There are three nights,".

All quiet on the Rendlesham front today then...?

Splendid....!

:dsist:

Two airmen involved in the 'British Roswell' may have been abducted by aliens when they went to investigate lights from a UFO in woodland, retired USAF colonel claims in newly-released footage

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...p/USAF-colonel-discusses-British-Roswell.html
Very interesting -- he says they "may have been abducted" by aliens but later says he says he never said they actually "were abducted." A possibility. But might they have been abducted by some other agency?

I am getting a bit worried that the discussion is going down the "ET versus misidentification" path!
Although I comprehensively appreciate what you mean here....! :)

There's no requirement to accept why, if not a sequence of misidentification, that proves hard evidence of an ET encounter.

We seem to have this sort of fundamental problem from the outset, with those apparently similar, unfamiliar lights, always viewed from what sounds like a common location, being a catalyst.

ETs three nights in a row, or what assuredly fits with a brilliantly scintillating star...?

Unfortunately there is no agreement, even here amongst generally well-informed folk, about which facts are solid facts!
Meet you kind of half way here? :)

There are two accepted, 'sold facts', as such.... which we have; those original witnesss statements and Halt's recording.

Regarding interpretation of same, a fair shout when you note, "there is no agreement".

Probably because the entire case is ridiculously bonkers mad.

I am corresponding as someone who recently googled, 'Glowing forest insects at night, Suffolk"...

Meet you kind of half way here? :)

There are two accepted, 'sold facts', as such.... which we have; those original witnesss statements and Halt's recording.

Regarding interpretation of same, a fair shout when you note, "there is no agreement".

Probably because the entire case is ridiculously bonkers mad.

I am corresponding as someone who recently googled, 'Glowing forest insects at night, Suffolk"...
Not sure tjete are any firefly/glow worm type insects native to the UK, if there is ive never seen one :)

A fact....
There was a lighthouse that produced a flashing light visible not from the base but clearly seen from a certain position.

Could the lighthouse be seen from East Gate?

No, it could not.

Due to the contours of the land and the intervening trees, the flash from the lighthouse did not become directly visible until you were well into the forest. This helps explain why it came as such a surprise.

It is sometimes argued that the airmen at East Gate would have seen the lighthouse every night and hence could not have mistaken it for a UFO, but this is not true. Their own statements make it clear that they were not familiar with the lighthouse at all.

However, the local police, who were familiar with the lighthouse, were of the opinion that it was the light that had been seen – see the comment from Inspector Mike Topliss of Suffolk constabulary near the bottom of this page.

As Topliss noted, under certain atmospheric conditions the loom of the lighthouse beam could be seen over the trees or could reflect off low cloud, causing odd visual effects. It is possible that these effects added to the overall strangeness of the sighting.

http://www.ianridpath.com/ufo/rendlesham2.html

Easton also tracked down airman Chris Armold, a USAF security policeman who called out the British police on the first night. To see for himself what the fuss was about, Armold went out to the site with Burroughs. As he told Easton: ‘There was absolutely nothing in the woods. We could see lights in the distance and it appeared unusual as it was a sweeping light.’ He added: ‘We did not know about the lighthouse on the coast at the time.’ It’s worth recalling that the local police who were called out also reported that the only lights visible were those from the Orford Ness lighthouse. Hence there can be no doubt that the lighthouse was prominently visible from within the forest on the night in question.

Very interesting -- he says they "may have been abducted" by aliens but later says he says he never said they actually "were abducted." A possibility. But might they have been abducted by some other agency?
The participation of Burroughs, Cabansag and Penniston that first night were thoroughly documented.

Halt surely knows this, as he was the one who asked for written affidavits and presumably read them.

They evidence that zero, 'missing time' was unaccounted for.

I’d guess that the “Starlight scope” that USAF police would have been using in late 1980 might have been...
You have reminded of a photograph sent to myself from someone who served with the 81st Security Police Squadron and had a particular interest in rifles.

In fact, he made a customised one for himself. :)

Screenshot_20210409-085301_resize_56.jpg

All quiet on the Rendlesham front today then...?

Splendid....!

:dsist:

Two airmen involved in the 'British Roswell' may have been abducted by aliens when they went to investigate lights from a UFO in woodland, retired USAF colonel claims in newly-released footage

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...p/USAF-colonel-discusses-British-Roswell.html

• Video recently released shows Halt saying one of the men 'may have been abducted' and admitting that both men were 'unaccounted for hours'
  • When confronted about the video, Halt said: 'I never said anyone was abducted'

Well that’s cleared that up then.

I think I would focus more on the civilian reports and also on the accounts that mention a mysterious aircraft that landed unannounced with a team of some kind on board, also one assertion that one whole area of woodland was cut down and large numbers of men were out searching for something. I can't recall which of Bruni, Randles or Pope mentions these! I still do not accept that the phenomena witnessed by Halt and co. were "unusually bright stars." I don't have a huge estimation of the military mind but they would have had to be unusually moronic to mistake e.g. the red glowing object, spilling drops of something molten, moving around the trees, for a star. I also think that establishing a time line is the key problem. If the initial reports of a glowing object offloading some kind of material then abruptly descending into the trees are correct then it could be a black project craft in trouble, and have led to efforts to clean up the evidence. David Boast's little daughter asked Jenny Randles how such a big object could have landed in such a small clearing, and that is a good question. [I have been trying to trace her without luck. Caroline has lost contact with that side of the family. If anyone wants to try their luck, her married name should be Jenny Suzanne Cooper.] It implies that the small clearing with the radiation traces and landing imprints might have been created just to misdirect everyone, not just Penniston, Buroughs, Halt and the others.
This reminds me of another case, the Kecksburg crash, which almost certainly was a failed test flight of a Nazi "Bell" driven device. They were very quick to go in, retrieve the object, and spread hints about alien crashes. It is probably their standard operating procedure.

:)

Your local insight is much appreciated and I wondered if, as a brief aside, you might help to resolve one Fortean occurence within the forest.

When participating in the, 'Network East' documentary, where they brought Kevin Conde across from the States to relate the story of his UFO hoax using the police car's side headlamps to beam up lights, I had time for a leisurely walk alone in the forest.

It was summer, a scorching hot day and such a beautiful place.

I turned around to go back and hovering behind myself at head height was the most enormous - must have been 2 -3 inches long - 'dragonfly' imaginable!

Any idea what that might have been?

We have dragtonflies that big yes!

I've seen ones 4 inches or so. Beautiful creatures.

And thank you for your kind, if undeserved, words.

Back