• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The fact that Halt does confirm an object is coming from the south towards him, states it has sent down a beam of light down to the ground, must surely imply it was somewhere overhead.
Not really. He says it is coming towards them at 03.15, then at 03.30 it is still in the south but 'losing a bit of altitude'. I take this to mean that the apparent movement towards them was an illusion, and it was actually motionless (apart from the slow movement towards the south-western horizon, consistent with the identification of Sirius).

If it really had been coming towards them during that fifteen minutes it didn't get very far.

However, what we do have in the documentary is Bobby Ball confirming Halt's assertion those three aerial objects operated as if carrying out a coordinated grid search.
This observation sounds like autokinesis to me.

If they were observing Vega and Deneb in the north, the apparent behaviour of these stars could have been noticeably different to the dimmer background stars, assuming they could see the background stars at all. Autokinesis causes stars to move in complex patterns because of the involuntary movements of the eye. If a star is bright enough to activate the cone receptors in the eye, this can cause the star to appear to move independently of the dimmer stars, which can only be seen with the rods.

In short, Vega and Deneb would jiggle about in an apparently coordinated way, looking like they were under conscious control.

Nike Pope tonight was on the Travel Channel UFOs : Uncovering the Truth.

This was about British UFOs, and Nick claims he has read the documents that the British government tried to confuse the soldiers who came in contact with the Rendlesham UFO with Sodium Pentothal.

These soldiers were forced to sign statements that they did not see anything.

Also, Nick said he read the original documents and that Churchill was so mad about UFOs pacing RAF planes.

The more mad Churchill got, the more the British military buried the truth called the “ secret keepers “.

Nick claims Pennington’s binary code message was verified by independent people, and according to the end of the message, UFOs are from 8,100 years from the future.

Pennington claims that he never heard of binary in 1980, and he was under a spell when writing the message.

We are dealing with time travelers according to the binary message.

The message gave coordinates to the most paranormal sites on earth, example the pyramids.

Last edited:
From above, I wonder if the “secret keepers” is actually Rudloe Manor ?

Once again, you cannot take Pope as an authoritative source. In a lot of British UFO cases you see the words "Nick Pope says..." and you can finish the sentence with "..a lot of things."

Something that's always bugged me about the observations ... The bright lights reported on the second night (2 north; 1 south) were claimed to have been at an estimated elevation of 10 degrees above the horizon. Ten degrees is a damned low angle of elevation / altitude.

During their sojourns on the second night, where exactly were they positioned so as to see *anything* at a 10 degree altitude / elevation in both a north and south direction? And how persistently / continuously were they in such a position?

Additionally, I'd like to know how high the forest foliage stood at the time and how many individual spottings of lights occurred through the trees rather than above the trees.

Sirius, Deneb and Vega were all low enough so they would only be visible between the trees and from clearings, which would only add to their spookiness.

I keep using that word; it is an attempt to describe the strange 'hairs-on-the-back-of-the-neck' feeling you get whenever you witness a strange phenomenon, in the sky or elsewhere. Jenny Randles calls it the 'Oz Factor'. Another word I like to use for this is 'embiggening'; the heightened sense of scale and acuity you experience when you see an unknown phenomenon, which only goes away if and when you identify the cause. Lights look bigger and brighter, movements, real and imagined, are exaggerated, shapes are extrapolated from minimal evidence, and so on.

I think all these lights and other phenomena were 'embiggened' by their heightened awareness on that dark night, but that does not seem to have made them better observers. Halt, for instance, observed one light as 'red', whereas Nevels (on the tape) declares it to be 'yellow'. This light in particular is interesting, and was consistently described as moving through the trees; this suggests a relatively nearby, terrestrial source, rather than a distant lighthouse or aircraft. It simply could have been someone moving about in the forest with a red or yellow light - a bicycle, perhaps, or a Tilley lamp. I was using Tilley lamps of remarkable antiquity back in the eighties, and they would look quite odd from a distance. But the Oz Factor had taken over, and lights in the forest were perceived as alien rather than mundane.

Once again, you cannot take Pope as an authoritative source. In a lot of British UFO cases you see the words "Nick Pope says..." and you can finish the sentence with "..a lot of things."

You could continue- "a lot of things...to sell his hokey books..."

I do think, and I apologise for going on - if you look at all the things percieved by those involved it is nigh on impossible not to conclude that they were being subjected to some sort of mind-altering processes and/or techniques. Any other view doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

I don't think any of the observers were stupid (well, maybe expcet Warren) or lying (well, maybe except Warren). They saw a lot of weird shxt, and they reported it as best they could.

But they were not in their right minds.

Last edited:
The fact that Halt does confirm an object is coming from the south towards him, states it has sent down a beam of light down to the ground, must surely imply it was somewhere overhead.

That he doesn't actually say at this exact moment it was now directly above is perfectly understandable and does not preclude this having occurred.

Surely, the argument is that Halt simply later clarifies in more detail what transpired?

For example, I am a keen birdwatcher and last year whilst outdoors, made a quick voice note on my mobile app re an unusually large number of crows at my nearby rookery, mentioned they were now in flight and heading in my direction, then cursed because one of them had shat on me.

Although I might not have recorded for the record, how they were directly overhead at that precise moment, I could have explained this later...
Don't think I'll take up birdwatching, then.

Sirius, Deneb and Vega were all low enough so they would only be visible between the trees and from clearings, which would only add to their spookiness.

I keep using that word; it is an attempt to describe the strange 'hairs-on-the-back-of-the-neck' feeling you get whenever you witness a strange phenomenon, in the sky or elsewhere. Jenny Randles calls it the 'Oz Factor'. Another word I like to use for this is 'embiggening'; the heightened sense of scale and acuity you experience when you see an unknown phenomenon, which only goes away if and when you identify the cause. Lights look bigger and brighter, movements, real and imagined, are exaggerated, shapes are extrapolated from minimal evidence, and so on.

I think all these lights and other phenomena were 'embiggened' by their heightened awareness on that dark night, but that does not seem to have made them better observers. Halt, for instance, observed one light as 'red', whereas Nevels (on the tape) declares it to be 'yellow'. This light in particular is interesting, and was consistently described as moving through the trees; this suggests a relatively nearby, terrestrial source, rather than a distant lighthouse or aircraft. It simply could have been someone moving about in the forest with a red or yellow light - a bicycle, perhaps, or a Tilley lamp. I was using Tilley lamps of remarkable antiquity back in the eighties, and they would look quite odd from a distance. But the Oz Factor had taken over, and lights in the forest were perceived as alien rather than mundane.
Well, I think Jenny Randles uses the term Oz Factor, not to describe subjective responses to what appear to be strange happenings, but as a real other dimensional effect. Often the feelings appear out of nowhere, before the observer has actually seen anything unusual. In the Randlesham case, I find the witness's references to high EM fields, potentially very significant, but I don't think that relates to the Oz effect. As for the red light in the trees, maybe somebody decided to run around with a Tilley lamp in the middle of the night, or maybe not!

Not really. He says it is coming towards them at 03.15, then at 03.30 it is still in the south but 'losing a bit of altitude'. I take this to mean that the apparent movement towards them was an illusion...

If it really had been coming towards them during that fifteen minutes it didn't get very far.
An important point is when the tape became public knowledge, Halt clarified that not all of the events were recorded, merely intermittent snapshots, as he wasn't sure how long the battery would last.

Accordingly, perhaps not surprising there are gaps, such as perhaps Halt not documenting on tape the source of our perceived light beam, having seemingly advanced towards his position, then returning back.

We would, however, expect Halt to remember this and subsequently offer a more detailed explanation.

He has done so on a number of occasions, for example, in discussions with Salley Rayl:

RAYL: Okay. So this object moves directly toward you. It shoots down this pencil-like beam toward your feet. What happens then? What happens to the beam, and what happens...

HALT: Well, we stood there in awe and watched and suddenly it was like it was switched off. It just clicked. It was gone.

The object was still in the sky. We also noticed it receded.

It moved about. It sent down beams other places, included some various places on the base...

I learned two new things from Nick Pope.

The Rendlesham soldiers were put down with Sodium Pentothal for mind control.

There is a British shadow group called the “ secret keepers “ that started with Winston Churchill when he demanded UFO information.

Last edited by a moderator:
I learned two new things from Nick Pope.

The Rendlesham soldiers were put down with Sodium Pentothal for mind control.

There is a British shadow group called the “ secret keepers “ that started with Winston Churchill when he demanded UFO information.
Hadn't heard of that, but it wouldn't surprise me. Here in the US preseidents are apparently briefed on the UFO situation as part of the "Black Book" of secrets. There are UFO officers that are apparently throughout the military that respond when situations arise, as occurred during the Japan Airlines Flight 1628 incident.

Feinman, Nick Pope took me by surprise, also.

In this program I was watching Nick claimed he either read the original documents or UFO documents were on display in the National Archives.

The forced Sodium Pentothal to brain wash RAF Woodbridge made me sad.

Also, Nick Pope claims the Americans stationed in Germany came in to sanitize the base to make sure no paranormal activity could be found.

I never heard about that either.

Nick Pope claims Pennington’s binary message passed several independent examinations, which is odd since Pennington did not have a clue about binary numbers.

I don’t think binary numbers were very mainstream in 1980.

Hadn't heard of that, but it wouldn't surprise me. Here in the US preseidents are apparently briefed on the UFO situation as part of the "Black Book" of secrets. There are UFO officers that are apparently throughout the military that respond when situations arise, as occurred during the Japan Airlines Flight 1628 incident.
That is interesting, because it does seem unthinkable that following the closure of Blue Book there was nobody collecting and assessing UFO reports, and certainly there are innumerable tales about witnesses being forced to hand over evidence to some apparently official agency and told to keep quiet about it. Even from a purely conventional angle surely somebody would be interested in knowing whether a reported UFO might represent a defence threat.

Feinman, Nick Pope took me by surprise, also.

In this program I was watching Nick claimed he either read the original documents or UFO documents were on display

in the National Archives.

The forced Sodium Pentothal to brain wash RAF Woodbridge made me sad.

Also, Nick Pope claims the Americans stationed in Germany came in to sanitize the base to make sure no

paranormal activity could be found.

I never heard about that either.

Nick Pope claims Pennington’s binary message passed several independent examinations, which is odd

since Pennington did not have a clue about binary numbers.

I don’t think binary numbers were very mainstream in 1980.
I would like to know exactly how the coded message was "deciphered", not hear claims of independent assessments. After all, if the decrypt was genuine, why not reveal the details? I think anybody with knowledge of maths or computers, which I would hope USAF has in some numbers, would know all about them.

According to the TV program, the message was that planet earth was being studied.

The message listed a lot of coordinates to many paranormal sites on the earth, and then finished up saying they were time travelers from the future.

This message was left undisclosed for 30 years until Pennington rediscovered his military police note book.

That is interesting, because it does seem unthinkable that following the closure of Blue Book there was nobody collecting and assessing UFO reports, and certainly there are innumerable tales about witnesses being forced to hand over evidence to some apparently official agency and told to keep quiet about it. Even from a purely conventional angle surely somebody would be interested in knowing whether a reported UFO might represent a defence threat.
Perhaps there have been UFO officers since '48, to put out fires and for a quick response; the machinery of ridicule and official denial Hillenkoetter was talking about.

Please use the correct spelling ... The sergeant's name was Penniston, not Pennington.

I think too much time has passed and the "truth" is so concealed that we will never get to the bottom of it. It is now a modern legend. And a great one.
It's as if everything seems to have an exception...

'This seems like the answer to that aspect, but...'.

'Almost certainly we can solve this point, however...'.

'Surely, we can definitely now resolve one particular occurence, although...'.

lt's arguably like the most fiendish crossword puzzle, where the clues are so cryptic you can't solve them, yet keep going over them again and again, because you know there absolutely has to be an answer!

Still in search of new clues... :)

It's a map of the base provided by Kevin Conde and illustrates where he pulled off his 'UFO' stunt...

Whether or not this actually occurred on the same night as Halt's involvement is an aside here.
That may no longer be the case.

I have rediscovered some further archive material and now recall Kevin's map was in fact an edited version of another, provided by Randy Smith, previously mentioned and on duty at Bentwaters Weapons Storage Area (WSA) during the night of Halt's encounter.

Randy's map illustrates the direction in which three star-like objects were observed from the WSA.

As we can see, it's a close match to Kevin's depiction of events.

Whether any actual relationship, I shall leave aside at present - this is merely to clarify - and shortly post Randy's detailed account of observations from the WSA control tower, of which a contemporary photograph is attached.

i have little doubt what was behind observed from the control tower were scintillating stars and the reasoning for same will become quite evident.

Meantime:

Randy's map:

www.forteanmedia.com/Rand_Map.jpg

Kevin's map:

www.forteanmedia.com/Kev_Map.jpg

Screenshot_20210302-135155_resize_1~3.jpg

...and shortly post Randy's detailed account of observations from the WSA control tower...
The simplest way of doing so, is uploading a Microsoft Word document.

Many moons ago, or half-moons turning into full circles way back, I would publish a newsletter of recent research developments, etc. in relation to various UFO cases.

This was one of them and features Randy Smith's detailed account.

www.forteanmedia.com/Randy.doc

My belief the objects were probably scintillating stars, was borne of having seen such an occurrence and it resembled what is described in Randy's recollections.

That said... (have I mentioned there's eternally a, 'however')... I had quite forgotten about Gerry Harris' story re the 'abnormal lights' he recollects witnessing.

Is this yet another example of autokinesis?

How many is that now... Halt, Ball, Englund, Harris and also Randy plus others in the control tower...

As always, you must reach your own conclusions.

So, enough of this conundrum for now and I'm going to have first coffee of the morning... well, third actually... whilst endeavouring to complete today's Times newspaper cryptic crossword blindfolded.

These are two photographs provided by Randy, of the view from within the control tower

Screenshot_20210302-135121_resize_55~2.jpg

Screenshot_20210302-135040_resize_69~2.jpg

Additionally, for your delectation, is, I believe a World Exclusive, as I can't remember ever publishing this before.

It's Randy's sketch of our Rendlesham UFO, attached as a 'spoiler'.

I mean, is the world really ready for this...

It's as if everything seems to have an exception...

'This seems like the answer to that aspect, but...'.

'Almost certainly we can solve this point, however...'.

'Surely, we can definitely now resolve one particular occurence, although...'.

lt's arguably like the most fiendish crossword puzzle, where the clues are so cryptic you can't solve them, yet keep going over them again and again, because you know there absolutely has to be an answer!

Still in search of new clues... :)

I agree. As I said, I've been looking to this for over a decade now.

Throughout that time, every time I seem to figure something out I pretty soon find something that contradicts that.

Everytime I feel sure of something, I soon don't.

I guess this is what keeps me going...it's an enigma and a mystery. And I think will nothing will ever be proved. Too late now. And I think it has been allowed to become misty, confusing...for a reason.

Somebody powerful does not want us to know what happened. And that could be for a myriad of reasons. The whole thing now is a phantom.

Hanlon's Razor; 'never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence'.

These poor chaps were administered sodium pentathol in an honest attempt to to uncover the truth. Unfortunately this was a stupid idea, and it may have significantly changed some of them psychologically.

Yes.

Also, and I will repeat myself ad nauseum, I believe they were...addled...in other ways.

Everytime I feel sure of something, I soon don't.

...Somebody powerful does not want us to know what happened.
Your first point, I consumately agree with.

The second, I resolutely can not. :)

I see absolutely zero evidence of same...

Unless, of course, we consider the following...

These poor chaps were administered sodium pentathol in an honest attempt to to uncover the truth.
Despite Halt's claim, I am not remotely convinced about this. Penniston, for sure, under hypnosis includes it in his fantasies. Burroughs, to my knowledge has never mentioned any such thing?

Why would this happen, the entire episode that first night was no big deal. As Halt himself says, it was all a big joke on base.

We could, however, consider the following...

The January/February 1995 edition of UFO Magazine had a large feature on the case.

Mentioned therein is that when Halt was in England for filming of the London Weekend TV, 'Strange But True'? documentary, Halt gave an impromptu talk in Leeds.

The article reads:

"On 31 July 1994, Charles Halt gave a fascinating lecture to UFO enthusiasts at a hastily arranged venue in Leeds. Halt was in the United Kingdom to record an interview with London Weekend Television.

[...]

One puzzling event which has mystified Colonel Halt ever since that 'fateful week', concerns the arrival of an unscheduled C141 Galaxy transporter just hours after the encounter. He confirmed he knew nothing about its purpose, or why a group of 'special individuals' departed the aircraft and headed immediately out to the East Gate and into the forest.

[...]

This huge transporter aircraft remained parked-up at a remote corner of the main runway. The personal concerned had no insignia, no markings which could identify their rank, unit or origin".
(End)

Coincidentally, it was only last night I came across an account emailed to myself on 19 April, 2001.

I'm not sure if this has ever been published. I can't reveal the person's full name, as I strictly don't have their permission.

Dear James,

I did serve in the US Air Force during the time the sightings occurred at RAF Woodbridge. I was a Staff Sergeant assigned to the 81st Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Missile Shop located in the weapons storage area. So here goes my story, I'm not sure if you'll believe this but I assure you its what I heard from security personnel and a Air Force investigator.

A friend of mine, another Staff Sergeant was taking a night class on base and a fellow classmate from the security squadron told him about the incident outside RAF Woodbridge. This was only 2 or 3 days after the sighting took place. The next day David told me what was said and of course I didn't believe a word he said. We were close friends and always pulling each others legs so I just laughed it off, but he assured me it was true.

Since working in the bomb dump and knowing many of the security guards there I called a friend in the security squadron and asked if he knew anything. I felt like a fool for asking but by this time I was very curious about all of this. He transferred my call to his supervisor and he asked who I was and what squadron I was assigned to.

Since I did work in the munitions storage area and made the call sound official he then again transferred me to the.. as he put it "UFO investigator".

I'm surprised he was so open about the investigation but he told me alot of information and he is what I remember. There was a landing as he put it outside the base in Rendlesham Forest. Lights were seen by the back gate security guard one evening and a security alert team " SAT" was dispatched to the back gate. American personnel cannot leave the base with loaded weapons so the team left their M16's and M60 with the gate guard. ( Later they were reprimanded for leaving their weapons) After driving into the forest for just a short distance they returned to the base and reported the sighting. At no time did the control tower personnel see anything by sight or radar. Knowing them they were asleep!!

I'm not sure when the assistant base commander got involved but a landing site was found or what appeared to be a landing sight. An area of a clearing was slightly burnt, or should be said the ferns that are common in the forest looked to be wilted by a heat source. Three triangular marks were found that looked like landing gear. They were 114 inches apart but I can't remember if he told me the size of the imprints. Since we did have nuclear bombs ( I didn't say that ) located on the base we did have Geiger counters. There was a slight reading of radiation found but nothing that would be harmful.

Another note is that a few days prior to this a British National was riding her horse somewhere north of the base and was thrown when a red ball flew over her while riding.

Soon after all of this within days of hearing the British Home Office was notified the investigators were gone and everyone involved denied any of the rumors. It seemed to us not to be a alien craft but a British experimental of some sort. Why else would the Brits shut us up so quick?

That's all I know and can remember. Hope I was of some help... Peter
(End)

In response to my subsequent enquiries:

"At the time of my phone conversation I did not know if the investagator was local or from off base. A few days later when I inquired the talk was that "the team" departed the base. I assumed that there was more than one investagtor and they were not assigned to the 81 TFW.

[My question: Do you recall which unit/department he worked for?]

This I have no idea about, all I know is that he was working out of the base security squadron building.

It doesn't make any sense to me that it was an American craft. Bentwaters or Woodbridge did not have any buildings that an aircraft could come and go without being seen. When the SR-71 used to land at Bentwaters the plane would do a quick taxi to the victor alert area and into a hanger. Since I had a top secret clearance I had access to all areas of the base that could hide an aircraft and I was never turned away from entering any aircraft shelters.

The investigator seemed too open about giving me information till the British were involved. As soon as they got their fingers in the pie everyone shut shut up, it just seemed to me the British wanted to keep this a secret.
(End)

All open to interpretation, obviously.

Makes you wonder though!

Always delighted to bring to the table some new case material, which doesn't add to existing puzzlement... :)

:mcoat:

Back