• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Regarding the starlike objects reported by Halt, someone in an earlier post noted that starlike objects that hover for hours and twinkle sound just like ... stars. Which is almost certainly what they were.
I gave my opinion on this part of the tape here:
http://www.ianridpath.com/ufo/halttape-analysis2.html
Scroll down to Point 13 onwards.
It's worth noting that nothing was recorded on radar. In addition, Halt’s superior officer, Col Conrad, along with several others came out of their houses at Woodbridge while all this was going on but couldn't see anything that resembled Halt's description.

I now keep going back to my post #703 and despite my initial scepticism, particularly given Halt refutes the suggestion, could it in fact be, 'choppers!' and not 'colors'...?
After further contemplation and no matter how helpful it might be, unless evidenced otherwise, I would now have to rule out any helicopter involvement.

See in particular my post #343.

If of interest, some related material I have come across on the, 'Skeptics Society Forum' and personally have never seen before:

(Start)
June 2010 Halt, signs a statement:

"I believe the objects that I saw at close quarter were extraterrestrial in origin and that the security services of both the United States and the United Kingdom have attempted – both then and now – to subvert the significance of what occurred at Rendlesham forest and RAF Bentwaters by the use of well-practiced methods of disinformation".

Col Conrad (ret) comments on Halt’s 2010 statement

"Col Halt can believe as he wishes. I’ve already disputed to some degree what he reported. However, he should be ashamed and embarrassed by his allegation that his country and England both conspired to deceive their citizens over this issue. He knows better.”

The former base commander ( Col Conrad) also disputes the subsequent testimony of another serviceman, Sgt Jim Penniston, who had gone into the woods on the first night of the sightings and has since claimed he touched an alien spacecraft. Col. Conrad said he interviewed the officer at the time and that, while he described seeing strange lights which had moved off into the distance, he had not mentioned touching a spacecraft.
(End)

Also, two photographs of seperate, 'landing marks', from our first night's events, presumably taken the next day:

rabbits1_resize_97.jpg

UFO landing marks_resize_69.jpg

The Kecksburg UFO is better known as the Great Lakes Fireball, because that is exactly what it was
http://www.debunker.com/Kecksburg.html
http://www.astronomyufo.com/UFO/kecksburg.htm
Someone in an earlier post here mentioned similarities between Rendlesham and Kecksburg, and that is true -- they were both sparked off by a bright fireball, although the one at Kecksburg was brighter and nore widely seen. In the case of Rendlesham, it is what was seen after the fireball that has made the case what it is.
Either way, it's as well to remember that nothing landed in Rendlesham Forest.
I think the bright fireball may well have been the last moments of a black project experiment that went very wrong. Some reports were made of liquid aluminium being left under its wake, which suggests very high temperatures. The fact that it turned prior to descending into the woods at Kecksburg where it was described as moving relatively slowly tends to rule out a meteor. Several witnesses went into the woods and observed a cylindrical object. As many have observed, the description matches that of the Bell, a wartime German field propulsion project power source based in Poland. The very rapid appearance of military personnel (and people with NASA tags) who ordered everyone out of the woods, suggests something other than a meteor fall. As time has passed many more witnesses have come forward and described the events. The two links quoted go straight to the usual debunker mode and extremely biassed sites that I expected. They ignore all of the major accounts, also evidence from later studies of the area where the object was seen. A blue haze around the object, visible even outside the woods, was also one of the main characteristics of the Bell. At that time nothing was known about the Nazi research, so it is not something that a witness would be influenced by.

The fact that the fireball was originally seen coming from Canada is consistent with the evidence of collaboration between that country and the US in other black field propulsion projects.

Actually, there is still plenty of evidence that something did come down in Rendlesham forest if you study all of the statements, especially the raw accounts of local people. Several, including gamekeeper David Boast, a local woman (and maybe even Boast's daughter) did see the object go into the trees. It was seen from the base. Halt himself says that he was puzzled by an unscheduled aircraft arriving and a mysterious team of men emerging. Local witnesses saw military activity, trees being felled, etc. Coincidence? Or just the standard procedure for covering up black project accidents? I think the small clearing was chosen as a fake site where Burroughs and Penniston were lured by an object that apparently just materialised in a bright light -- i.e. not one that descended through the trees, snapping off branches.

I am quite happy to say goodbye to the Halt episode although it is very revealing in some ways. But it is only one small element in a much more complex picture, and to say that dismissing it removes all the mystery is wildly optimistic, to say the least!

Also, two photographs of seperate, 'landing marks', from our first night's events, presumably taken the next day:

View attachment 38192

View attachment 38193
The colour picture of rabbit scrapings in the forest floor was taken by me in the summer of 2010. The black and white picture of the supposed ‘landing marks’ was photographed by the airmen the morning after the first UFO sighting on 1980 December 26. The similarity should be immediately apparent. In his memo, Col Halt described the marks he saw as seven inches across and 1.5 inches deep, which matches the size of the rabbit diggings that I photographed.
http://www.ianridpath.com/ufo/rabbits.html

The colour picture of rabbit scrapings in the forest floor was taken by me in the summer of 2010. The black and white picture of the supposed ‘landing marks’ was photographed by the airmen the morning after the first UFO sighting on 1980 December 26. The similarity should be immediately apparent. In his memo, Col Halt described the marks he saw as seven inches across and 1.5 inches deep, which matches the size of the rabbit diggings that I photographed.
http://www.ianridpath.com/ufo/rabbits.html
Worth noting also that acording to Penniston the object he interacted with was hovering above the ground, not actually supported by a tripod.

Worth noting also that acording to Penniston the object he interacted with was hovering above the ground, not actually supported by a tripod.
There's zero evidence Penniston ever interacted with anything, indeed it is comprehensively proven otherwise.

Remember those five critical, original statements I uncovered, written just a week after the incident, in which Penniston confirmed:

"When we got within a 50 meter distance. The objecwas producing red and blue light. The blue light was steady and projecting under the object. It was lighting up the area directly under extending a meter or
two out.

This is the closest point that I was near the object at any point"

Airman Cabansag, states:

"As we entered the forest, the blue and red lights were not visible anymore. Only the beacon light was still blinking. We figured the lights were coming from past the forest, since nothing was visible as we passed through the woody forest. We could see a
glowing near the beacon light, but as we got closer we found it to be a lit-up farmhouse...

But we ran and walked a good 2 miles past our vehicle, until we got to a vantage point where we could determine that what we were chasing was only a beacon light off in the distance. Our route through the forest and field was a direct one, straight towards the light".

MSgt Chandler, monitoring radio communications, corroborated:

"Each time Penniston gave me the indication that he was about to reach the area where the lights were, he would give an extended estimated location. He eventually arrived at a 'beacon light'..."

Fred Buran, also monitoring proceedings:

"SSgt Penniston reported getting near the "object" and then all of a sudden said they had gone past it and were looking at a marker beacon that was in the same general direction "...

Burroughs testifying:

We got up to a fence that separated the trees from the open field and you could see the lights down by a farmers house. We climbed over the fence and started heading towards the red and blue lights and they just disappeared. Once we reached the farmer's house we could see a beacon going around so we went towards it.

We followed it for about 2 miles before we could see it was coming from a lighthouse".
(End)

This, alas, is the only evidence we can trust from our inaugural events.

However, it's fortunately sufficient detailed and consistent, from five separate sources, especially of course Penniston himself.

The colour picture of rabbit scrapings in the forest floor was taken by me in the summer of 2010.
The following includes consumately related and profound case evidence, I don't recall ever previously being published.

Although I knew something like this existed...somewhere, it has taken countless hours to track it down within my considerable archives.

The documentation was eventually located in a personal email on a backup disk.

That would be a 3.5" floppy disk...

Firstly, an extract from American journalist AJS Rayl's (Salley Rayl) interview with Jim Penniston:

Original broadcast date: April 22, 1997

RAYL: Okay. Now, at this point, you're in the clearing alone? What happened to the other airmen?

PENNISTON: Airman Burroughs was along with me to about, oh, I would say, within 20 meters of the craft itself.

RAYL: All right. So, you're in the clearing now. You're about 10 meters from the craft. Would you describe for us what you saw?

PENNISTON: The white light that was blinding at one point, at 20 to 30 meters had dissipated and it was.. you could see the outline of the silhouette of the craft which was triangular in shape. It was approximately, about, you know, 9 feet by 9 feet by 9 feet and probably 6 feet high.. 7 feet high...

(...)

RAYL: And exactly what did you do in that investigation?

PENNISTON: We checked the outside of the craft out. We started to... we carry cameras for possible terrorist encroachment of the base. We had them with us anyway, and we started photographing the craft. A 360 walk-around of it and examining various parts of the length of the craft and height, trying to find markings or, you know, some type of entry system.

(...)

RAYL: You, at one point, touched it. Can you describe that for us?

PENNISTON: Yes. It was warm to the touch. At the time, the air temperature was probably about 32 degrees [Fahrenheit] and it was very smooth, black, glass-like in appearance, with some color that was, that would gradually turn into the opaque blackness. Then, as I ran my hand toward what I assume was the front of the craft, there was an inscription or lettering of some sort that was inscribed on the side of it.

RAYL: Could you make out what that lettering or inscriptions were?

PENNISTON: Well, they measured approximately 3 or 4 inches high and they stretched out over 3 feet of the craft. There were symbols of some sort, not recognizable to me. They felt like they were etched on the material themselves, slightly raised.

RAYL: Now, we have actually a copy of your original drawing in our Library for those people who would like to go look at that. That's available. They are quite interesting symbols, and I certainly haven't been able to make any sense of them. Have you in the years since?

PENNISTON: No, no I haven't. Those drawings came directly from my notebook that I had that night.. I drew out.

(...)

PENNISTON: In the course, during the course of the investigation, about 30 minutes into it, maybe 20 minutes, the craft lifted up and - about 3 or 4 feet high - and started to maneuver back and forth through the trees away from us. It got about 30 meters, 50 meters away and it lifted up above the tree line. It hovered momentarily and then it took off in the blink of an eye.

RAYL: And what did you do at that point? What are you thinking at this point.

PENNISTON: I looked over at Burroughs. I said, "How are we going to report this? [laughing]
(End)

During April 1997, John Burroughs corresponded with American UFO researcher, John Powell and I was kindly permitted a copy of same.

This is what Burroughs had to say about these exact same events

Referring to the, 'Unsolved Mysteries' feature, Powell asked:

"Regarding one of the last clips shown, which depicted one or two airmen prone as a very nearby and clearly craft-like object rose from a landing position and took off, do you know if there were any ground traces of
this"?

Burroughs clarified:

"First of all, we did not see a structured 'craft' as was depicted. All we saw were lights that seemed to imply a structure of some kind".

"Later inspection showed three round depressions at that spot, forming an
equilateral triangle. The British Police explained these as 'rabbit holes'."

There is further information available regarding other matters, however I shall take care of that seperately, as I do not wish to deflect attention from this seemingly critical exposé of Penniston's claims.

snip...
We got up to a fence that separated the trees from the open field and you could see the lights down by a farmers house. We climbed over the fence and started heading towards the red and blue lights and they just disappeared. Once we reached the farmer's house we could see a beacon going around so we went towards it.
We followed it for about 2 miles before we could see it was coming from a lighthouse".
(End)
A comprehensive riposte to those who say "the airmen could never had made such a mistake".
They admitted they did!

Burroughs clarified:
"First of all, we did not see a structured 'craft' as was depicted. All we saw were lights that seemed to imply a structure of some kind".
And Burroughs told me by email on ‍2006 ‍March ‍22:‍ ‍‘Penniston ‍was ‍not ‍keeping ‍a ‍notebook ‍as ‍it ‍went ‍down’. ‍In ‍a ‍further ‍email ‍dated ‍2008 ‍January ‍17 ‍he ‍emphasized: ‍‘Penniston ‍did ‍not ‍have ‍time ‍to ‍make ‍any ‍sketches ‍in ‍a ‍note ‍book ‍while ‍this ‍was ‍going ‍on ‍and ‍did ‍not ‍walk ‍around ‍it ‍for ‍45 ‍min.’ ‍
See Point 5 on this page
http://www.ianridpath.com/ufo/rendlesham2b.html

And Burroughs told me by email on ‍2006 ‍March ‍22:‍ ‍‘Penniston ‍was ‍not ‍keeping ‍a ‍notebook ‍as ‍it ‍went ‍down’. ‍In ‍a ‍further ‍email ‍dated ‍2008 ‍January ‍17 ‍he ‍emphasized: ‍‘Penniston ‍did ‍not ‍have ‍time ‍to ‍make ‍any ‍sketches ‍in ‍a ‍note ‍book ‍while ‍this ‍was ‍going ‍on ‍and ‍did ‍not ‍walk ‍around ‍it ‍for ‍45 ‍min.’ ‍
I had not seen this!

So, overall... dear me, what can we say about Penniston's claims and increasingly elaborate documentation re same.

Perhaps it's all part of a contrived disinformation scheme, or someone's 'wiped Burroughs' memory'...

Not good though, is it and some might say sours what little might remain puzzling of a once classic and seemingly enigmatic UFO case.

There's zero evidence Penniston ever interacted with anything, indeed it is comprehensively proven otherwise.

Remember those five critical, original statements I uncovered, written just a week after the incident, in which Penniston confirmed:

"When we got within a 50 meter distance. The objecwas producing red and blue light. The blue light was steady and projecting under the object. It was lighting up the area directly under extending a meter or
two out.

This is the closest point that I was near the object at any point"

Airman Cabansag, states:

"As we entered the forest, the blue and red lights were not visible anymore. Only the beacon light was still blinking. We figured the lights were coming from past the forest, since nothing was visible as we passed through the woody forest. We could see a
glowing near the beacon light, but as we got closer we found it to be a lit-up farmhouse...

But we ran and walked a good 2 miles past our vehicle, until we got to a vantage point where we could determine that what we were chasing was only a beacon light off in the distance. Our route through the forest and field was a direct one, straight towards the light".

MSgt Chandler, monitoring radio communications, corroborated:

"Each time Penniston gave me the indication that he was about to reach the area where the lights were, he would give an extended estimated location. He eventually arrived at a 'beacon light'..."

Fred Buran, also monitoring proceedings:

"SSgt Penniston reported getting near the "object" and then all of a sudden said they had gone past it and were looking at a marker beacon that was in the same general direction "...

Burroughs testifying:

(End)

This, alas, is the only evidence we can trust from our inaugural events.

However, it's fortunately sufficient detailed and consistent, from five separate sources, especially of course Penniston himself.
I knew his story had changed dramatically after having hypnotic regression, but I hadn't seen this particular statement before -- thanks. Frankly, that statement is very strange. Penniston was "50 metres from a landed object" and that was the closest he got to it?

I have made a start of making a time line of events and already some patterns have become clearer. Focusing on the stories of individual airmen is natural but taking a wider view is essential, in my view. As my eyes aren't in great shape it may take me a few weeks but hopefully it should help.

See Point 5 on this page
And it isn't just Penniston whose story has changed, because Burroughs seemingly had no problem in collaborating with Pope and Penniston, and agreeing that both of them had approached the object but that he had no memory of Penniston's interactions with it. Either dubious hypnosis or full-on mind control by experts in the field.

I have made a start of making a time line of events and already some patterns have become clearer.
The original statements are here
http://www.ianridpath.com/ufo/rendlesham2c.html
I am trying to get better-quality scans but these should be legible enough. See also my notes to these statements on this page
The statements should be read in conjunction with the local police report
http://www.ianridpath.com/ufo/police.html
which confirms the timing of the original sightings.
Hope these help.

I am trying to get better-quality scans but these should be legible enough. See also my notes to these statements on this page
Hope these help.
Thanks, I will check these out immediately!

Hope these help.
Downloaded these and all very interesting. This complements what I have done so far, which is mostly the civilian evidence.

If the object that Penniston was following was a vehicle of some kind, such as car or tractor, then it might be accurate to say that it was suspended above the ground (on wheels).

I have made a start of making a time line of events and already some patterns have become clearer.
That would be interesting, I have thought about doing the same!

Unfortunately, we don't have a timing breakdown of events as with Halt's recording.

The original police report logged from our first night and which I posted a copy of previously, might be a good place to begin?

That would be interesting, I have thought about doing the same!
See my posts #206 to #211.

These are copies of the actual original witness statements, including Halt's hand-written notes from some years later (I presume these were added and date from when he gave copies of then to Barry Greenwood/CUFON).

Come to think of it now, what was Halt doing having copies of these official documents?

Note also those early, accompanying sketches.

Crucially, see also my post #283, which is a breakdown of events from all the statements and actually already goes a long way towards what you are thinking.

Just noticed Ian has already provided assistance re this!

I replied without having read today's earlier postings!

There is further information available regarding other matters...
Essentially this, which off-hand I can't recall a mention of previously.

John Powell asked:

Lastly, are you aware of any second-level corroborating information or
witnesses? (Air or ground-based radar contacts, nearby local civilian witnesses, private or commercial aircraft pilots/crew/passengers...)".

Burroughs replied:

"Yes, there was a call from Heathrow Tower at about the time of the first incident, saying that they suspected a plane might have gone down in our area".

Presumably this has come up before and was resolved?

I have come across the following in my long ago saved files and although not proposed to have any direct connection, it's certainly seems related to the twin-base facility and I found it a fascinating article.

As I can't locate a copy still existing online, perhaps little known?

It's lengthy, ostensibly well researched and hopefully maybe of now historical interest, even though the 'cover up' scenaro is slightly incredulous!

It's simply attached as the plain text file cooy I hold as, although not perfect, if l convert this to a .pdf file the formatting goes completely askew.

Did the Americans drop a satellite on Suffolk?

Introduction

The Rendlesham Forest event, on or around the night of Saturday to Sunday, 27/28 December 1980, is one of the most famous 'UFO' incidents in Britain.

Explanations of the event range from crashing alien spaceships to wild drug parties, and from distant lighthouses to bizarre secret military experiments.

Put simply, the theory I am presenting here suggests that the men of the 67th Aerospace Rescue and Recovery squadron, based in Rendlesham Forest, were just doing their job.

It is known that a satellite was orbiting at that date, and it is known that the 67th was one of the units assigned to collect the film capsules dropped from the satellite. Here I am putting these two facts together.

Attachments

• sat_recv.txt
    30.9 KB · Views: 29
Did the Americans drop a satellite on Suffolk?
Yes, I remember this suggestion from years ago, and thought it had quietly gone away. It's another non-starter that doesn't begin to explain the facts of the case. There was no flying at the twin bases over the Christmas period so it simply doesn't stand up.

Either dubious hypnosis or full-on mind control by experts in the field.

Or confusion.

Or maybe, just maybe...good, old-fashioned bullshxt.

I knew his story had changed dramatically after having hypnotic regression...

Of relevance in this case and others. I think- hypnotic regression is not, and never has been, a tool for memory retrieval. It is a tool for behaviour modification.

Yes, I remember this suggestion from years ago, and thought it had quietly gone away. It's another non-starter that doesn't begin to explain the facts of the case.
It has gone away!

Archive material and as noted, not something I would associate with our story, however, I thought the background to the 67th ARRS was insightful.

"There was no flying at the twin bases over the Christmas period...".

It would appear that is the case - see my post #343.

Speaking of archive material, I shall shortly be reviewing something I have never actually watched.

You are of course familiar with Kevin Conde's account re his, 'beams of light hoax', which he recalls was certainly in the timeframe, although occuring during a base exercise. This could possibly be the one which took place during November 1980 and which I mentioned recently.

As explained, I met up with Kevin and also case researcher, Robert McLean, when we participated in a televised feature for the local BBC network.

If I recall correctly, it was an episode of a weekly 'magazine' program called, 'Inside Out'.

I seen to remember it was not broadcast at its normal time slot, because the TV schedule had been altered to accommodate showing a rain delayed Tim Henman match from Wimbledon!

Just curious to see if there's anything of potential interest and if so, intend to simply film that on my mobile and provide a copy.

Unfortunately, there are two problems...

Having found the video copy I was provided with, the actual tape inside the cassette looks to be rather mouldy.

Secondly, I will consequently have to proceed with some trepidation, as I will be using someone else's video recorder.

I no longer have one, because the last time I used my own was to view another old mouldy looking tape, which didn't play and my video recorder never worked again.

There's also some case related email correspondence I recall, which is presently missing. I think this might have just been relocated on a backup CD and will check it out.

I believe one of the emails related to a familiar participent that first night and tells the story of how they had to come on duty for days afterwards, wearing a polo neck underneath their uniform top.

This was to hide radiation burns...

Yes, I know....

:cool:

I knew his story had changed dramatically after having hypnotic regression.
We could perhaps make allowances for false memory effects resultant from the damnable 'hypnotic regression'.

That's why I thought it worthwhile to try and establish whether Penniston's story might be, even if only partially, a product of same.

As evidenced, apparently not so, with Penniston confirming to Salley Rayl that his first, 'regression therapy' session took place during November,1994 and his claims predate this.

As I highlighted, he told essentially that same story in the 1994, 'Strange But True?' documentary, filmed during July 1994 and hence pre-hypnosis.

He did not, perhaps significantly, mention anything about this documentation now produced and allegedly recorded there and then, which as Ian Ridpath astutely observes, has the wrong date on it.

There's so much information to process, but I think the idea that something significant happened, relating in some way to satellites, is a good starting point. As I have had a long interest in the question of disinformation, I am already noting points where false information has been introduced! I will try to download as much of all this material as I can. Thanks for all the help!

Or confusion.

Or maybe, just maybe...good, old-fashioned bullshxt.

Of relevance in this case and others. I think- hypnotic regression is not, and never has been, a tool for memory retrieval. It is a tool for behaviour modification.
Well, it can be used for true memory retrieval, but all too often it results in false memory retrieval, congruent with the beliefs of the person doing the hypnotising!

It has gone away!

Archive material and as noted, not something I would associate with our story, however, I thought the background to the 67th ARRS was insightful.

"There was no flying at the twin bases over the Christmas period...".

It would appear that is the case - see my post #343.

Speaking of archive material, I shall shortly be reviewing something I have never actually watched.

You are of course familiar with Kevin Conde's account re his, 'beams of light hoax', which he recalls was certainly in the timeframe, although occuring during a base exercise. This could possibly be the one which took place during November 1980 and which I mentioned recently.

As explained, I met up with Kevin and also case researcher, Robert McLean, when we participated in a televised feature for the local BBC network.

If I recall correctly, it was an episode of a weekly 'magazine' program called, 'Inside Out'.

I seen to remember it was not broadcast at its normal time slot, because the TV schedule had been altered to accommodate showing a rain delayed Tim Henman match from Wimbledon!

Just curious to see if there's anything of potential interest and if so, intend to simply film that on my mobile and provide a copy.

Unfortunately, there are two problems...

Having found the video copy I was provided with, the actual tape inside the cassette looks to be rather mouldy.

Secondly, I will consequently have to proceed with some trepidation, as I will be using someone else's video recorder.

I no longer have one, because the last time I used my own was to view another old mouldy looking tape, which didn't play and my video recorder never worked again.

There's also some case related email correspondence I recall, which is presently missing. I think this might have just been relocated on a backup CD and will check it out.

I believe one of the emails related to a familiar participent that first night and tells the story of how they had to come on duty for days afterwards, wearing a polo neck underneath their uniform top.

This was to hide radiation burns...

Yes, I know....

:cool:
I think radiation is going to be a significant element, one way or another.

Hi everyone,

I've just joined today so please be gentle with me.

I was just over at my usual stomping ground and I read this new post, so it's hot off the press.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/346192/could-this-be-the-rendlesham-forest-ufo

OK I will kick things off and throw my two penneth in. The photo and article are very interesting, photo looks like it was shot with a genuine analogue camera, blur, colour, pixel bleed, grain etc look good, object looks far away, sure I can see clouds??? So who knows???

I'm going to remain on the fence on this one and wait until more information becomes available, like expert analysis etc etc. What's interesting is that it's not a typical crappy flying sauce shaped image and Halt did say that the red object exploded into 4 or 5 orbs??? And what else is interesting is, at least this person can back up their claims with photographic evidence unlike any of the main Rendlesham Forest witnesses, and let's face it what's better than a picture???

Innocent until proven guilty for me on this one, huge blow for all the skeptics this one, it really is!!!

Let battle commence.......

Enlargement.jpg

Back