• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
...deep in the woods...
There may be other possibilities...

"...'something out there that was intelligent' and that 'blue transparent type lights' came off...and were 'able to do different things and flew over the top of us and flew through a pick up truck'."

John Burroughs (2nd night)

PG9uT7_resize_77.jpg

In all seriousness, that extract is edited and comes from the following:

BENTWATERS--THE TESTIMONY OF JOHN BURROUGHS
By J. Antonio Huneeus

"Perhaps a bit obsessed with his experience on the night of December 26th, the airman went to the forest on his own, encountering the patrol under Col. Halt and several other soldiers in charge of the trucks with light-alls, which were not functioning well.

He explained in our interview that "there was something out there that was intelligent" and that "blue transparent type lights came off the main craft" and were "able to do different things and flew over the top of us and flew through a pick up truck."

He is, however, in strong disagreement with Larry Warren's account of three small humanoid aliens which allegedly floated from the main craft. "It depends on what you consider aliens," said Burroughs, "I consider that could be intelligent life, but I would say they weren't aliens as we see green men and stuff like that, but they did do stuff that could led you to believe they were intelligent."
(End)

"...and that 'blue transparent type lights came off the main craft'...".

What "main craft", would that be, our second night?

This seems to come back to a central question and I have referenced it previously in post #939, writing:

"What resulted in Lt. Bruce Englund interrupting Halt at the belated officer's Christmas dinner to alert that, 'the UFO was back'?

I recalled having surmised a conceivable explanation for this and have eventually located same.

Uploaded is the original publication in its entirety:

http://www.forteanmedia.com/V16.txt
(End)

The relevant portion in that newsletter reads:

The Lieutenant who drew Halt's attention to the flashing light was Bruce Englund. Earlier that evening, Halt was attending a belated officer's Christmas party when his festivities were interrupted by Englund, who informed Halt the 'UFO was back'.

Why Englund believed the 'UFO' had returned, has recently become much clearer.

The foundation was an incident which involved Airman Greg Battram and his patrol.

(...)

Battram publicly come forward as a witness for the February, 1985 CNN special feature, presented by Chuck DeCaro. I have acquired a transcript and Battram, at that time given anonymity as 'Airman Greg', testified:

(Start)
DeCaro: Airman Greg is a former Air Force security policeman who says he was a witness to the second of the two UFO landings within days of each other outside the USAF air base...

Airman Greg: We were about halfway into the shift, I guess, when we noticed some lights in the sky that, uh, didn't seem to follow any pattern of the aircraft we'd seen. And, uh, we, uh, watched them for a while and they disappeared. And the next thing we saw was, uh, the lights in the forest...in a clearing off the end of the runway.

And, uh, we called Central Security Control to tell them we'd like to investigate it, and they gave us permission to go on out. As we got in there, you could see into the clearing and see a series of lights in there surrounded by a ground fog.

(...)

And about that time, we decided that we'd better get the heck out of there 'cause we were getting a little scared to stand around...".
(End of CNN extract)

Battram retold a similar account which was published in 'Left at East Gate', co-authored by Larry Warren and Peter Robbins, published in 1997.

The interview with Battram was actually undertaken on 7 February 1984 by 'UFO' researcher and author Larry Fawcett...

(...)

Battram states his patrol then met up with Lt. Bruce Englund and told him about the forest apparition.

Presumably, this was the report which led Englund to inform Halt that the 'UFO' had returned.
(End of newsletter extract)

Was this the genesis of our second episode?

If Halt was called out to investigate another, 'UFO' then what had happened to it?

As we know, he initially spent his time wandering around, having radiation readings taken. There was no actual object to investigate.

We have 3 seperate accounts, from Warren, Bustinza and Battram, of an object amidst ground fog.

Did that never actually occur?

What is Burroughs referring to?

Anyone help to make sense of this aspect?

Even a wee bit would be welcome!

Since they were presumably looking south at this moment, I am fairly sure Ball is looking at Sirius, which is well-known for scintillating colourfully.
Whilst comprehensively appreciated, this still remains a hypothesis.

Your response is in respect of my observation that Timothy Good's related translation reads:

MASTER SGT BALL: Look at the colors... shit
(End)

If still perceived to be a loose end, I'm only exacerbating this, even if merely for myself, by continually coming across further conceivable anomalies.

I leave this aside for now, with a note re one more of them (with my emphasis), even if it's only a coincidence and probably just me not being comfortable... :)

LT COLONEL HALT: Yeah, they're both heading north. Hey, here he comes from the south; he's coming in toward us now.

(...)

MASTER SGT BALL: Look at the colors... shit
(End)

From the telephone conversation transcript:

Fawcett: All of a sudden, he (Larry Warren) could hear the helicopter or someone say, 'here it comes'. And they looked up and over the pine trees came a red ball of light. And this ball of light like went over the top of this mist in the middle of the field and it exploded into a lot of colors, but there was no sound. Do you remember that?

Bustinza: Yes, I remember that. That's the main, the cream of the crop, I would say".
(End)

"...'something out there that was intelligent' and that 'blue transparent type lights' came off...and were 'able to do different things and flew over the top of us and flew through a pick up truck'."

They have somewhat fallen out of fashion since my grandmother's childhood (early 1900 SW Scotland) but because of family influence The Gentry are always an explanation that comes to me. Actually, for quite a lot of things!

If I was in charge of a downed UFO needing repairs I doubt I’d put it in ‘Full Disco Mode’.
Whatever the light source that yuletide morning, it was the antithesis of clandestine!
Has anyone mentioned the flashing lights in relation to Christmas Decoration lights that would be around at that time? Some people have outdoor lit trees...
There's one person who did:

Burroughs, from the 'Strange But True?'
documentary:

"There were strange lights out in the forest. To me, it almost looked like Christmas lights at first, a Christmas display".

:cshock:

Always interesting reading your take on this and 'triangular UFOs" are my favourite subject within our eclectic genre.

I have been re-reading archive discussions on the, 'UFO Research List' re a conceivable Bentwaters/Stealth connection and thought you might find this of interest - from April 1999.

I have to be careful quoting someone else, rather than material I had posted, as it was a closed mailing list, for subscribers only. However, I'm sure Tim will be fine with this:

"...claimed to have seen the F-117A
'landing at the base' from 1984 which ties in with the research of both Bill Rose (who lives/lived nearby) and Nick Cook (Jane's).

The F-117A interdictor was responsible for UFO sightings in the late 1980s but I doubt that any supposed 'triangular UFOs' seen in/over/near the woods over Christmas 1980 were this particular bird.

Having said that, and in light of my recent discoveries, it never ceases to amaze me how little credence Ufologists give to the very strong possibility that secret military aircraft, possibly unmanned and possibly using an advanced propulsion system, could have been tested at that time.

Throughout the 1970s all kinds of triangular a/c were under development and in Britain alone we had experimented with prototype waveriders in the 1960s (see 'Air Pictorial' for this month) although this was a high-speed platform.

(Documents received via FOIA indicate a great deal of interest in so-called 'electrogravitics systems' in the early 1950s and the extent to which these were funded.

The studies relating to some of these projects curiously came upon the flying disc as the perfect planform upon which to base further
study.)

No surprises there and what becomes apparent above all else in terms of classified aircraft research is the number and extent of similar projects...... all of which are still hidden from view...

No doubt this will debate will rage on for years...".

Tim Matthews.
(End)
That's a very interesting quote. The original developments in electrogravitics (basically attempts to employ the Biefield-Brown effect) in the 1950s and the speed with which all of the top aerospace companies declared an active interest in the area was very quickly succeeded by a complete suppression of news about it, which was what led Nick Cook to follow the trail into very deep waters. From what he says in The Hunt for Zero Point it is clear that field propulsion (a neutral term for what used to be termed anti-gravity) has led to a number of highly secret projects. The trail led him back to Nazi Germany, where there had been a lot of experimentation on discoid and spherical devices, and to the most highly classified German project, The Bell as it is now known. The Americans tried to make use of it but were, according to Polish Intelligence, failing because the pilots were falling apart. The description of the Bell itself does tally with the thing that landed in the woods at Kecksburg, so it is a fair bet that was one test flight that went horribly wrong. The triangular objects seem to be a more original development, no idea how they work, nor why they should have used them en masse over Belgium a few years after the Rendlesham business.

But actually...you may be onto something...the fae. There's an interesting thought experiment/rabbit hole.
Have we all overlooked one possibility...

Although I've never heard of this until right now, it's certainly a name I will never forget...

The Rendlesham Forest Shug Monkey

Better known in neighbouring Cambridgeshire, the Shug Monkey is a supernatural creature said to frequent not only that county, but also Rendlesham Forest...

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/weird-suffolk-rendlesham-shug-monkey-2489462

Have we all overlooked one possibility...

Although I've never heard of this until right now, it's certainly a name I will never forget...

The Rendlesham Forest Shug Monkey

Better known in neighbouring Cambridgeshire, the Shug Monkey is a supernatural creature said to frequent not only that county, but also Rendlesham Forest...

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/weird-suffolk-rendlesham-shug-monkey-2489462
That is interesting. Seems that Rendlesham Forest is quite an active area -- there are a few hints to that effect in Randles and Bruni. That doesn't imply, of course, that our current events of interest stem from "paranormal" factors, but certainly worth noting.

That is interesting. Seems that Rendlesham Forest is quite an active area...

Most forests have some ghostly legends attached to them.

Most military airbases have some ghostly legend attached to them.

Orford Island is spooky.

Shingle St is spooky.

A little to the north and it's prime Shuck country.

To the west were once found two green children.

A bit up the coast they found a merman.

My point is - everywhere is spooky.

(Some might not be aware, and I think it is worth knowing - Rendlesham is not a deep, dank ancient English woodland full of fae, piskies and unicorns. It is a modern commercial pine farm.)

Last edited:
(Some might not be aware, and I think it is worth knowing - Rendlesham is not a deep, dank ancient English woodland full of fae, piskies and unicorns. It is a modern commercial pine farm.)
Correct. And it is public open space (there's even a camp site there). So scarcely an area for clandestine operations. The Ness, cut off by a stretch of water, was a different matter, although nowadays you can get on there, as I did before the lighthouse was demolished.

palm.jpg

Last edited:

no wonder the Good People are pissed off! :shy:

As I mentined on the 'What have you been doing today thread' last week:-

"Today I was having a bit of a sort out and came across a book about East Anglian Forests published in 1971 and as I've been following 'The Rendlesham Forest Incident' thread had a quick flick through and found a photo of it being planted in 1921, one of how it was looking in 1936, then the first thinnings in the fifties and then in all it's spendour in 1971. It was strangely satisfying to find it depicted after having read so much about it on here. I was looking at the men in the photos and thinking 'you have no idea just how famous your forest is going to become' "

There again as you say anywhere can be spooky. I used to do a lot of walking in the planted forestry land in Wales and there were some parts that used to feel really weird.

Maybe the spirits have been hanging around since the ancient forest days and are only too grateful to have some sort of cover again, even a 1920's apology for a forest will do. :)

That was tongue in cheek by the way er ... sort of lol.

Sollywos x

Last edited:
A few years back I picked the wife up from work it was a dark still night,
we stopped at a road junction and across the road was a small farm,
we both said what the F was that, a ice-cream cone shaped swirling
cloud of glowing gas passed slowly across the gap between two farm
sheds, looked for all the world like Taz as in Tasmanian devil, I took
it to be a Will o the wisp.

Last edited:
LIGHTS SUMMARY

Using those original witness testimonies, these are, hopefully in the correct sequence, descriptions of the lights which resulted in an investigation, amidst concerns of an aviation accident.

Penniston:

"Upon arriving at east gate directly to the east about 1.5 miles in a large wooded area. A large yellow glowing light was emitting above the trees.

In the center of the lighted area directly in the center ground level, there was a red light blinking on and off 5 to 10 second intervals. And a blue light that was for the most part steady".

Burroughs:

"On the night of 25-26 Dec at around 0300 while on patrol down at east gate myself and my partner saw lights coming from the woods due east of the gate.

The lights were red and blue the red one above the blue one and they were flashing on and off".

Buran:

"I directed SSgt Coffey, the on duty Security Controller, to attempt to ascertain from SSgt Penniston whether or not the lights could be marker lights of some kind, to which SSgt Penniston said that he had never seen lights of this color or nature in the area before.

He described them as red, blue, white and orange.

(...)

"Penniston had previously informed me that the lights appeared to be no further than 100 yds from the east road of the runway".

Events further unfolded:

Burroughs:

"Because I've never seen anything like that coming from the woods before we decided to drive down and see what it was.

We went down east gate road and took a right at the stop sign and drove down about 10 to 20 yards to where there is a road that goes into the forest.

At the road I could see a white light shining onto the trees and could still see the red and blue lights.

We decided we better go call it in so we went back up towards east gate. I was watching the lights and the white light started coming down the road that led into the forest. We got to the gate and called it in.

The whole time I could see the lights and the white light was almost at the edge of the road and the blue and red lights were still out in the woods.

A security unit was sent down to the gate and when they got there they could see it too.

As we went down the east gate road and the road that led into the forest the lights were moving back and they appeared to stop in amongst a bunch of trees.

We stopped the truck where the road stopped and went on foot".

Penniston:

"The area in front of us was lighting up a 30 meter area.

When we got within a 50 meter distance. The object was producing red and blue light. The blue light was steady and projecting under the object. It was lighting up the area directly under extending a meter or two out.

At this point of positive identification I relayed to CSC, SSgt Coffey. Positive sighting of object...colour of lights and that it was definitely mechanical in nature.

This is the closest point that I was near the object at any point".

Chandler:

"On one occasion, Penniston relayed that he was close enough to the object to determine that it was definitely a mechanical object.

He stated he was within approximately 50 meters".

Penniston:

"We then proceeded after it. It moved in a zig-zagging manner back through the woods then lost sight of it".

This is the last reference Penniston makes to any further pursuit.

Chandler corroborates:

"Each time Penniston gave me the indication that he was about to reach the area where the lights were, he would give an extended estimated location".

Burroughs explains how the light source seemingly moved backwards amongst some trees, then a farmer's field, before the lights were ultimately observed near the farmhouse:

"As we went down the east gate road and the road that led into the forest the lights were moving back and they appeared to stop in amongst a bunch of trees.

We stopped the truck where the road stopped and went on foot. We crossed a small open field that led into the trees where the lights were coming from...

(...)

...whatever it was started moving back towards the open field and after a min or 2 we got up and moved into the open field.

We got up to a fence that separated the trees from the open field and you could see the lights down by a farmers house.

We climbed over the fence and started heading towards the red and blue lights and they just disappeared.

Once we reached the farmer's house we could see a beacon going around so we went towards it. We followed it for about 2 miles before we could see it was coming from a lighthouse".

Cabansag, however, does not mention those lights at the farmhouse, merely that single beacon light:

"As we entered the forest, the blue and red lights were not visible anymore. Only the beacon light was still blinking.

We figured the lights were coming from past the forest, since nothing was visible as we passed through the woody forest.

We could see a glowing near the beacon light, but as we got closer we found it to be a lit-up farmhouse".

(...)

"...we ran and walked a good 2 miles past our vehicle, until we got to a vantage point where we could determine that what we were chasing was only a beacon light off in the distance.

Our route through the forest and field was a direct one, straight towards the light".

Chandler states:

"Each time Penniston gave me the indication that he was about to reach the area where the lights were, he would give an extended estimated location.

He eventually arrived at a "beacon light", however, he stated that this was not the light or lights he had originally observed".

Buran confirms:

SSgt Penniston reported getting near the "object" and then all of a sudden said they had gone past it and were looking at a marker beacon that was in the same general direction as the other lights.

I asked him, through SSgt Coffey, if he could have been mistaken, to which SSgt Penniston replied that had I seen the other lights I would know the difference".

During return to base, there was one further sighting:

Penniston:

"On the way back we encountered a blue streaking light to left lasting only a few seconds".

Burroughs:

"We had just crossed a creek and were told to come back when we saw a blue light to our left in the trees. It was only there for a min and it just streaked away".
(End)

The sketches which accompanied both Burroughs and Penniston's statements are a more elaborate portrayal.

However, Penniston's drawing of the object perveived, does appear to depict the situation as viewed from that circa 50 metre, closest proximity.

They have somewhat fallen out of fashion since my grandmother's childhood (early 1900 SW Scotland) but because of family influence The Gentry are always an explanation that comes to me. Actually, for quite a lot of things!
Wealthy as they are, I don't think even the landed gentry could do that.

On Blaze now they are featuring the Rendlesham case and an interview with a 'new witness' a radar operator from a neaby base.

I begin to feel a bit sorry for Halt, it seems that he was kept out of the loop regarding some secret activity.
A 'need to know basis'...

I thought this might be of interest.

It's a related insight from the base RAF liason officer, Squadron Leader Don Moreland, in an interview with redoubtable researcher Dr David Clarke - responsible for the MoD releasing many of its 'UFO related' documents.

DC: It's common knowledge now that there were nuclear weapons on the base, but it wasn't at the time, presumably?

DM: We didn't talk about whether..the MOD thing was we don't confirm or deny it. I don't know whether there were nuclear weapons there, and I was the RAF commander. I could probably guess that there might have been there but they wouldn't tell me.
(End)

http://ufowaves.org/rendlesham/Rendlesham Incident Forum/www.rendlesham-incident.co.uk/forum/viewtopic761f.html?p=3482

"Today I was having a bit of a sort out and came across a book about East Anglian Forests published in 1971 and as I've been following 'The Rendlesham Forest Incident' thread had a quick flick through and found a photo of it being planted in 1921..."
That fits. At the time of the Famous Incident the trees were 60 years old and were due to be felled for commercial use (Vince the forester referred to it as a "tree crop"). That part of the forest was cleared in the early 80s as part of normal forestry operations, not because the trees died from radiation poisoning as some of the early (and silly) reports tried to make out.

Back