Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Ah, sad news. My dad was teenage friends with John Stapleton. He used to tell an amusing tale of going to his wedding and chatting up Judith Chalmers and almost getting into a fight with Michael Aspel.
I also went to that wedding and started chatting up Micheal Aspel and got into a fight with Judith Chalmers. She was a nasty bit of work. Carried darts and a Stanley knife. Luckily my mate Cyril Fletcher waded in a kicked her in the clunge.

Those teeth you see on Wish You Were Here? - Fake. Hers was knocked out by a docker from Glasgow when she was going through her underground boxing phase.

I'm not taking the piss I love posts about minor celebs.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Hamilton Bohannon, disco legend! Give this a listen and just try not to chair dance:

RIP.

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
British actress Jill Gascoine, known for her roles in such TV dramas as The Gentle Touch and The Onedin Line, has died at the age of 83.
In the 1980s she played Detective Inspector Maggie Forbes in ITV's The Gentle Touch, the first British police drama with a woman in the main role.
She continued playing the character in spin-off C.A.T.S. Eyes, and was Letty Onedin in The Onedin Line in the 1970s.
She died after a long illness, her family told BBC News.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-52471574

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
British actress Jill Gascoine, known for her roles in such TV dramas as The Gentle Touch and The Onedin Line, has died at the age of 83.
In the 1980s she played Detective Inspector Maggie Forbes in ITV's The Gentle Touch, the first British police drama with a woman in the main role.
She continued playing the character in spin-off C.A.T.S. Eyes, and was Letty Onedin in The Onedin Line in the 1970s.

She had Alzheimer's I believe.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Irfan Khan, excellent indian actor from for example The Lunchbox. He was also in Life of Pi and a few other Hollywood movies.

Khaaaaan!
I really enjoyed watching him, very talented. Sad.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score

I had no idea she was so old! RIP.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Another veteran of the struggle dies.

Veteran South African anti-apartheid activist Denis Goldberg, who was tried alongside Nelson Mandela, has died at the age of 87.

As a member of the ANC's military wing, he was convicted of armed resistance to white-minority rule and sentenced to four life terms in 1964. He was imprisoned for 22 years.

Confirming the news of his death on local media, Mr Goldberg's niece, Joy Noero, said he had been suffering from lung cancer.

He "died peacefully" at his home in Hout Bay, near Cape Town, just before midnight on Wednesday, she added, saying that he "never stopped believing in his ideals".

Apartheid was a legalised form of racism in which white people were privileged above all others. It governed every aspect of life in South Africa, and only white people were able to vote until the first democratic elections in 1994 when Mandela was elected president.

In later years he was a critic of the alleged corruption which came to define much of Jacob Zuma's presidency of South Africa, reports the BBC's Nick Ericsson.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-52483924

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Some musicians of note passed away today:

Will Austin

Jazz bassist from Detroit, age 85.
Played with Yusfuf Lateef and Sonny Stitt.

Here he is five years ago showing his considerable skills

Stezo

Stezo.jpg

Age 51.

Rapper and dancer, noted for his contribution to the Golden Age of Hip Hop.
A celebrated dancer and the first MC to rhyme over the "Skullsnaps" sample.

Tony Allen

Tony Allen.jpg

Age 79.

The drummer master who worked with Fela Kuti.
Polyrhythamatic percussionist extraordinaire.

And not a musician, but an infamous figure from the New York Hip Hop world:

Rapp

And earlier this week, notorious New York gangster "Rapp", part of the infamous "Paid in Full Posse".
Had turned his life around and was advising kids away from crime.
He is top left in Fila Tracksuit.
(Bottom right in red baseball cap is the also deceased 50 Cent whom the current rapper took his name from.)
Thought @Swifty might recognise this photo?

PaidInFull.jpg

Last edited:

michael59

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Some musicians of note passed away today:

Will Austin

Jazz bassist from Detroit, age 85.
Played with Yusfuf Lateef and Sonny Stitt.

Here he is five years ago showing his considerable skills

Stezo

View attachment 25779

Age 51.

Rapper and dancer, noted for his contribution to the Golden Age of Hip Hop.
A celebrated dancer and the first MC to rhyme over the "Skullsnaps" sample.

Tony Allen

View attachment 25780

Age 79.

The drummer master who worked with Fela Kuti.
Polyrhythamatic percussionist extraordinaire.

And not a musician, but an infamous figure from the New York Hip Hop world:

Rapp

And earlier this week, notorious New York gangster "Rapp", part of the infamous "Paid in Full Posse".
Had turned his life around and was advising kids away from crime.
He is top left in Fila Tracksuit.
(Bottom right in red baseball cap is the also deceased 50 Cent whom the current rapper took his name from.)
Thought @Swifty might recognise this photo?

View attachment 25781
Lots of gold in this picture. You could probably buy a house with all of that. Makes me jealous.

RIP gentlemen.

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
Sam Lloyd, an actor best known for portraying lawyer Ted Buckland on “Scrubs,” has died, his agent confirmed to Variety. He was 56.

In January 2019, Lloyd was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor and cancer, which eventually spread to his lungs, jaw, liver and spine. He received the diagnosis just weeks after his wife, Vanessa, gave birth to their first child.

Over the course of his three-decade career in television and film, Lloyd also held roles on shows like “Desperate Housewives,” “Seinfeld,” “Modern Family,” “The West Wing,” “Cougar Town,” “Malcolm in the Middle” and “Shameless,” as well as films “Flubber” and “Galaxy Quest.”

Lloyd was also a talented musician. He sang in a cappella group The Blanks - which made several appearances on "Scrubs" as The Worthless Peons - and played bass guitar in The Butties, a Beatles tribute band. Lloyd had also been slated to direct a country rock musical, "With Pam and Gil," which was put on pause when he received his diagnosis.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/ente...0200502-zwso2vjvejczlmvez77yo277am-story.html

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Sam Lloyd, an actor best known for portraying lawyer Ted Buckland on “Scrubs,” has died, his agent confirmed to Variety. He was 56.

In January 2019, Lloyd was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor and cancer, which eventually spread to his lungs, jaw, liver and spine. He received the diagnosis just weeks after his wife, Vanessa, gave birth to their first child.

Over the course of his three-decade career in television and film, Lloyd also held roles on shows like “Desperate Housewives,” “Seinfeld,” “Modern Family,” “The West Wing,” “Cougar Town,” “Malcolm in the Middle” and “Shameless,” as well as films “Flubber” and “Galaxy Quest.”

Lloyd was also a talented musician. He sang in a cappella group The Blanks - which made several appearances on "Scrubs" as The Worthless Peons - and played bass guitar in The Butties, a Beatles tribute band. Lloyd had also been slated to direct a country rock musical, "With Pam and Gil," which was put on pause when he received his diagnosis.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/ente...0200502-zwso2vjvejczlmvez77yo277am-story.html
Awww no, he was so distinctive.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
A name from my formative years gone RIP
Dave Greenfield: The Stranglers keyboard player dies at 71
  • 26 minutes ago
The Stranglers keyboard player Dave Greenfield has died at the age of 71 after testing positive for Covid-19.
Greenfield died on Sunday having contracted the virus after a prolonged stay in hospital for heart problems.
He penned the band's biggest hit, Golden Brown, a song about heroin, which went to number two on the UK singles chart in 1982.
The Stranglers bass player Jean-Jacques "JJ" Burnel paid tribute to Greenfield as a "musical genius".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52537293

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
In honour of Dave Greenfield, who was largely responsible for Golden Brown, a song I remember from my university years in the last millennium, here's a splendid version with Hugh Cornwell and... a mariachi band. It's great. Seriously.

This is a great version and a lovely video. I came across it a while ago when we were watching Breaking Bad.
Yesterday on t'BBC R4 news the keyboard into to Golden Brown was played in Greenfield's honour.
I thought of this video and spontaneous how it looks. What excellent editing and mixing or whatever, I'm not techy that way!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw The Stranglers play at Canterbury Fayre in 2002 and Greenfield was the best thing about the band.

No 'truly huge' bands, but so many good little bands and great musicians that it was very enjoyable.

Jack Bruce and Arthur Lee, sadly have also passed away since. Arthur Lee was fantastic, relatively fresh from his five and a half years in prison and oozing charisma.

Friday / Saturday / Sunday:

Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 21.01.45.png
Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 21.02.00.png
Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 21.02.14.png

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
Jamaican singer Millie Small has died at the age of 73 after suffering a stroke.

The star was most famous for her hit single My Boy Lollipop, which reached number two in both the US and the UK in 1964.

It remains one of the biggest-selling ska songs of all time, with more than seven million sales.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-52557332

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
A rum rector is kicked upstairs.

The Rev David Johnson was a uniquely troublesome “whisky priest” such as Graham Greene could have conjured, only without the illegitimate child.

Often quite exasperating to know, at times he was as if possessed by a talent that could not be properly channelled and so had fallen into the habit of mischief. The result was that apart from his many speeches, squibs, sketches and skits, his main contribution to literature was The Spiritual Quest of Francis Wagstaffe (1994), a funny iteration of the Henry Root letters to a variety of dignitaries in the Church. These lampooned various ecclesiastical trends, as well as individuals and their pretensions.

His personal style resembled that of a 1920s “high and dry churchman” who regularly “went to town”. He was, in fact, often high, but almost never dry. The appurtenances of his lifetime of performance art included theatrical pipe-smoking, silk stocks, high starched (“Roman”) collars and an array of garments for events requiring clerical morning and evening dress, including stockings (“I have good legs”), buckled shoes, frock coats, shovel hats and straw boaters.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/register/the-rev-david-johnson-obituary-zjxcbph66?t=ie

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Jamaican singer Millie Small has died at the age of 73 after suffering a stroke.
The star was most famous for her hit single My Boy Lollipop, which reached number two in both the US and the UK in 1964.
It remains one of the biggest-selling ska songs of all time, with more than seven million sales.
I remember her and her two singles fondly. "My Boy Lollipop" stood out as a unique sound in the tidal wave of new / different music in that focal year of the British Invasion. Standing out like that with the whole Beatles (etc.) phenomenon going on is a testament to how well she was received. She introduced the ska sound / vibe to the US airwaves.

I had no idea what had become of her, save for occasions where she re-surfaced in the context of an oldies tribute. She had a more interesting (and independently self-guided) life than I knew.

NOTE: I notice the linked article mentions the longstanding rumor Rod Stewart played the harmonica riff on "My Boy Lollipop." I heard the claim back in the Sixties and repeated it as a trivia tidbit for decades thereafter, until learning that Stewart denied having been there. Anyway ... This article is the first mention I can recall of Millie Small being the original source of the Stewart / harmonica claim.

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Kraftwerk changed the way music sounded forever. Not a bad legacy. RIP Florian.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score

One of the very few pop stars I ever saw in the flesh, probably. I won't say singing live, since, even as kids, we knew she was miming to her most-famous record.

She turned up, unannounced, so far as any of us knew, at the Saturday morning ABC Minors cinema show in Southport, way back in 1964, when she was at the height of her fame.

We were duly delighted but took it in our stride, as kids do. Years later, I wondered if we had been fobbed-off by a tribute act - but there were no other fake stars on those occasions. She circulated in the auditorium and came very close to us. The closest I had been to a star.

Her fame was so recent and sudden that I doubt if tribute acts had time to organise. We were a small, morning gig, a stop-off on the way to bigger things. She would have been about ten years older than me.

She ducked out of fame, later declaring she was happy with the life she chose. According to the BBC obit. that involved some time homeless on the street.

Until someone proves otherwise, I will continue to think it was Millie Small I saw. She was a very distinctive bit of sunshine! RIP. :(

Last edited:

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
She turned up, unannounced, so far as any of us knew, at the Saturday morning ABC Minors cinema show in Southport, way back in 1964, when she was at the height of her fame.

We were duly delighted but took it in our stride, as kids do. Years later, I wondered if we had been fobbed-off by a tribute act - but there were no other fake stars on those occasions.

Until someone tells me otherwise, I will continue to think it probably was Millie Small. She was a very distinctive bit of sunshine! RIP. :(
It's quite possible - NW England was a musical focal point in the 60s. She played the Cavern in 1964, so a quick gig in Southport wouldn't be out of the question.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...0s-liverpool-mersey-beat-sound.922624/page-21

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I remember her and her two singles fondly. "My Boy Lollipop" stood out as a unique sound in the tidal wave of new / different music in that focal year of the British Invasion.

NOTE: I notice the linked article mentions the longstanding rumor Rod Stewart played the harmonica riff on "My Boy Lollipop." I heard the claim back in the Sixties and repeated it as a trivia tidbit for decades thereafter, until learning that Stewart denied having been there. Anyway ... This article is the first mention I can recall of Millie Small being the original source of the Stewart / harmonica claim.
It's like the rumour that Ringo Starr played some of the drums on The Incredible Bong Band's "Apache" (cover of The Shadows' original), thereby being part of Hip Hop history (the record has a famous break used by DJs and sampled by producers.)

Possible though that he was around the studio when it was recorded, as he knew their producer, the late Michael Viner.
The album was recorded in Vancouver, but would Starr have been in Vancouver 1972 - 1973?

Viner was vague when interviewed:

"We also had people from Harry Nilsson to John Lennon and Ringo Starr – all sorts of people coming by and helping on a few tracks. John actually helped on the album, Ringo helped on percussion on one of the tracks. I can't even remember which one. John actually helped us with the mixing. When we were mixing he was there. And it was a wonderful time."

http://www.hiphop.com/ftest/106-michael-viner-tribute

Last edited: