Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
...band member Jimmy Hibbert 'plunged a large knife into his chest and a torrent of blood gushed out as he collapsed on the floor'.
For real or just fake?

David Plankton

I AM HIM.
Reaction score
Had no idea that legendary sound engineer and producer Martin Birch died three days ago.
His photo is on the back cover of Iron Maiden's Killers, alongside the band members. Credited as Martin "Headmaster" Birch, it helped me realise at an early age that there was more to recording an album than turning up and pressing 'record' on a tape machine. A mark of quality on any album cover.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I see Trini Lopez has died of Covid-19. Apart from being a popular singer, he was famous for being the member of The Dirty Dozen whose parachute didn't open, because he was such a pain in the arse they invented a reason to kill off his character halfway through the movie. I'm sure he was a lovely guy, really. RIP.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
I see Trini Lopez has died of Covid-19. Apart from being a popular singer, he was famous for being the member of The Dirty Dozen whose parachute didn't open, because he was such a pain in the arse they invented a reason to kill off his character halfway through the movie. I'm sure he was a lovely guy, really. RIP.
I thought he got out of the film as it was running behind schedule and he needed to get back to touring? Didn't Sinatra advise him to do this?

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
From https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061578/trivia?ref_=tt_ql_2
According to Jim Brown's autobiography, Trini Lopez's part was supposed to be larger, but he demanded that his part be even bigger, or he'd walk off the movie, which you don't do to director Robert Aldrich. The next day the question was asked, "Where's Jimenez?" Charles Bronson said "He got hung on an apple tree. Broke his neck." An obvious jab at Lopez's hit song "Lemon tree."

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I'm not going to contradict Jim Brown.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
There were quite a few cast members on that movie you wouldn't want to fall out with.
Trini didn't stand a chance, really. Though he did outlive them all.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I tell a lie, Jim Brown and Donald Sutherland have outlasted him.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Very sad to hear Linda Manz has died, only 58:
Linda's Obit

She was in a handful of films, but made a huge impression. Amazingly talented, but she didn't seem to be that interested in acting. Her performance in Out of the Blue is jarring and immensely sympathetic. She was also great in Days of Heaven and The Wanderers. Made a brief comeback in Gummo. RIP.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Still working too! Too sarcastic to die...
One of my sons sat at a table at a hotel bar in Sydney next to Donald Sutherland & a friend's table a couple of years back and reported that for the two hours he was there, he (Donald) was knocking back double shots of Tanqueray 10 Gin at a copious rate. Perhaps he's trying to outwit death by pickling himself whilst still alive?

Last edited:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
He’s remembered for Star Trek? What about Chariots of Fire?

maximus otter
Saw that at the cinema when it came out – makes me feel old sometimes! And what a cast the film had, including an uncredited Stephen Fry, Kenneth Branagh and England cricketer Derek Pringle in the crowd scenes.

(I've also seen the all-time great rugby league player Martin 'Chariots' Offiah in full flow, but that's another story.)

MrRING

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Iggy Rose, known as Iggy the Eskimo/Iggy the Inuit, the free spirited psychedelic gal who was going out with Syd Barrett and walking around his flat naked when Mick Rock popped around to take photos for Syd's solo album The Madcap Laughs passed away... in 2017, though I wasn't aware of it until now. Info at her fan site:
http://atagong.com/iggy/archives/2017/12/iggy-rose-eskimos-and-unicorns.html

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Iggy Rose, known as Iggy the Eskimo/Iggy the Inuit, the free spirited psychedelic gal who was going out with Syd Barrett and walking around his flat naked when Mick Rock popped around to take photos for Syd's solo album The Madcap Laughs passed away... in 2017, though I wasn't aware of it until now. Info at her fan site:
http://atagong.com/iggy/archives/2017/12/iggy-rose-eskimos-and-unicorns.html
What an Icon - those pics. When I was 15 I thought what the fuck are you doing staring at a vase????? Look at what is behind you!!!

Then the older I got I know people who know people, who know people about Syd. Then I realized.

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Apparently Scooby-Doo was invented as a non-violent alternative to the other cartoons on the air at the time. When you are aware of that, it's actually quite sweet. RIP.