Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

MrRING

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I'm glad he did the rolls he did... a great actor, action hero, and nice guy all around!

CarlosTheDJ

Sio Bibble
Reaction score

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I first noticed Mr Boseman in the James Brown biopic, which despite many grumbles elsewhere I thought was underrated because he was so good in it. When he got Black Panther, though, he passed into comic book movie legend, and now knowing he made most of his famous roles while dying from cancer, he was a hero in real life too.

Always seemed like a lovely guy when I saw him interviewed, his gentle but firm rebuttal to the critics of superhero movies who said they weren't "real cinema" was perfect, and so much more dignified than the wailing and gnashing of teeth many fans mustered. Oxford University graduate, too. He knew how important he was, and that's a comfort, I suppose. RIP.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
We need a thread on Tiny Tim. He was one peculiar individual.
A man with a shining heart, willing to play the fool. Sad that he died so young.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Father Christmas is dead! :( :( :(
What do we tell all the children now?
Who is it that travels with Santa/Father Christmas and puts naughty children in a sack and beats them? Whomever that is, he'll have to also deliver the presents as well as the walloping!

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Apparently he goes by many names and the whole concept of a dark and vengeful figure accompanying the benign "Sinterklaas" could date right back to Odin and the Wild Hunt.
This from Wiki:

"One or more demons working as helpers for the saint can still be found in various Austrian, German, Swiss, Hungarian, Czech, Slovak, and Polish Saint Nicholas traditions in the characters of Krampus, Père Fouettard, Schmutzli, Perchta, Knecht Ruprecht, Rubbels, Hanstrapp, Little Babushka, Pelzebock, Klaubauf, and Belsnickel. These companions of Saint Nicholas are often depicted as a group of closely related figures who accompany Saint Nicholas through the territories formerly controlled by the Holy Roman Empire. The characters act as foils to the benevolent gift-giver, or strict disciplinarians who threaten to thrash or abduct disobedient children. Mythologist Jacob Grimm associated the character with the pre-Christian spirit kobold, who could be either benevolent or malicious."

Sillyhuron

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
"a dark and vengeful figure"

You mean like Roy Cropper when he played Father Christmas on Coronation St?

(oh, and seriously - condolences to the real Mr. Claus's family).

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm surprised he made it to this age considering reports of ill health and homelessness.

kanarek.jpg

Irving Kanarek, Lawyer Who Defended Charles Manson, Dies at 100
The national spotlight that focused on Mr. Kanarek made his disruptive circus of courtroom tactics almost as fascinating as his bizarre clients.
Irving Kanarek, a Los Angeles lawyer who defended Charles Manson in the cult killings of the actress Sharon Tate and six other people, and Jimmy Smith, whose murder of a police officer was chillingly retold in Joseph Wambaugh’s 1973 best seller “The Onion Field,” died on Wednesday in Garden Grove, Calif. He was 100.

His nephew Kany Levine confirmed the death.

Those killings were among the most notorious crimes of the 1960s, and the national spotlight that focused on their trials made Mr. Kanarek’s disruptive circus of courtroom tactics almost as fascinating as his bizarre clients — Mr. Manson, the cult leader with a “family” of young drifters, and Mr. Smith, a petty thief who did not quite know how to operate the automatic pistol he carried.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/03/us/irving-kanarek-dead.html

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm surprised he made it to this age considering reports of ill health and homelessness.

View attachment 29467

Irving Kanarek, Lawyer Who Defended Charles Manson, Dies at 100
The national spotlight that focused on Mr. Kanarek made his disruptive circus of courtroom tactics almost as fascinating as his bizarre clients.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/03/us/irving-kanarek-dead.html
Yikes! That's a life and a half and then some more.

I don't like the use of the word 'character', but yowza, he was a character if ever there was. And he seems to have lived the life of more than one person in his – admittedly 100-year – lifespan. I'd like to say something like 'chapeau'! (a cycling term akin to 'hats off' or 'bravo') but given the people he defended, that seems crass. Except, of course, everybody (without exception EVER) should always have the right to a defence.

GerdaWordyer

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I see Trini Lopez has died of Covid-19. Apart from being a popular singer, he was famous for being the member of The Dirty Dozen whose parachute didn't open, because he was such a pain in the arse they invented a reason to kill off his character halfway through the movie. I'm sure he was a lovely guy, really. RIP.
His "If I Had a Hammer" was a happy breath of air among all the hootenanny records that sounded like dirges.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Jiri Menzel, Czech director who won an Oscar for Closely Observed Trains, dies aged 82:
Obit

'“Good comedy should be about serious things,” Menzel once said. “If you start to talk about serious things too seriously, you end up being ridiculous.”' RIP.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score