Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Loved her in Detectorists, GoT and of course, as Emma Peel. As a kid, she was the ONLY woman on TV I wanted to be when I grew up. Absolutely loved her. Very sad, but at least she went peacefully in her sleep. I also watch and re-watch Detectorists. It's so good.

2020 is the gift that keeps on giving, eh?

GerdaWordyer

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
It drives me mad when I see online posts about "The Avengers" and they are not about Mrs. Peel and Mr. Steed. New movies derived from graphic novels or comics books use that name. They should have chosen some other heroic noun for their graphic novel/comics books heroes.
"The Avengers" is taken-- Mrs. Peel and Mr. Steed.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
It drives me mad when I see online posts about "The Avengers" and they are not about Mrs. Peel and Mr. Steed. New movies derived from graphic novels or comics books use that name. They should have chosen some other heroic noun for their graphic novel/comics books heroes.
"The Avengers" is taken-- Mrs. Peel and Mr. Steed.
I hate to be "that guy" but.... the Marvel Avengers comics started in 1963, the TV show came later in 1965.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avengers_(comic_book)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avengers_(TV_programme)

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Diana Rigg joined the TV show in 1965, but it had been running since 1961, under the title The Avengers since 1962. ...
The Avengers didn't air in the USA until 1965.

In any case, any argument about retrospective title originality can't stop with the UK TV series. One might well ask why the TV series stole the name of a 1942 British film about Norwegian resistance during WW2.

Sillyhuron

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Terence Conran... Mary Quant... Habitat...

the names alone conjure up a moment in history.

Was there ever a time like that?
RIP.

(PS - pardon me asking, but it was Terence Conran, not Conrad, right? He passed away 2 days ago?)

Last edited:

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Michael Lonsdale.

Actor, best known as Claude Lebel in The Day of the Jackal, and Bond villain Hugo Drax in Moonraker.
Fantastically expressive, yet equally adept at being taciturn.

View attachment 29947
I really liked him as Lebel in The Day of the Jackal, not a showy role, just quiet, determined professionalism. RIP

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
You know his work, RIP Ron Cobb, designer of the Nostromo in Alien and the De Lorean in Back to the Future ..
Damn ... Cobb was one of my favorite underground / editorial cartoonists back in the Seventies. His clean graphic style and sardonic sense of humor made his work quite special. RIP Ron ...

Here are a couple of representative cartoons from his early career. They reflect one of his major themes - a seemingly inevitable human apocalypse caused by human stupidity.

R Cobb-1.jpg

SuperiorityOverAnimals.jpg

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Michael Lonsdale.

Actor, best known as Claude Lebel in The Day of the Jackal, and Bond villain Hugo Drax in Moonraker.
Fantastically expressive, yet equally adept at being taciturn.

View attachment 29947
Admirably long career, too. He said his favourite role was in Marguerite Duras' India Song, which was on MUBI last week, coincidentally.

"Look after Mr Bond. See that some harm comes to him." RIP.

Anome

Bibliomancer
Reaction score
Damn ... Cobb was one of my favorite underground / editorial cartoonists back in the Seventies. His clean graphic style and sardonic sense of humor made his work quite special. RIP Ron ...

Here are a couple of representative cartoons from his early career. They reflect one of his major themes - a seemingly inevitable human apocalypse caused by human stupidity.

He did a stint as a political cartoonist in Australia in the 70s, I think. Can't remember the details. I distinctly recall a caricature of Billy McMahon he did.) Then he did all the good designs for Star Wars, better than Chris Foss, anyway. And is responsible for most flying car designs, and anything that flashes "PURGE".

Fun fact - he directed a film called Garbo, again in Australia, which was a film starring Los Trios Ringbarkus - a comedy double act of some notoriety. It was a strange suburban comedy, but the Ron Cobb touch was this new garbage truck that was being introduced to replace the traditional garbage trucks, that had all the Ron Cobb Science Fiction design cliches.

It's not a bad film, but I never really worked out why he decided to direct it.

Anome

Bibliomancer
Reaction score
They sound like the "Three Silly Twerps" from Blackadder Goes Forth.
But rather than bad music hall comedy, they're sort of performance art.

I know they did do the Edinburgh Festival, but don't know if it was before Blackadder IV.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

He was also responsible for the cover art of Jefferson Airplane's fantastic After Bathing at Baxter's (this original artwork sold for $24,000 in 2008).

image.jpeg

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Legendary French singer Juliette Greco has passed away

Juliette Gréco: Doyenne of French singers dies at 93
Published4 hours ago
COPYRIGHTPHILIPPE BATAILLON\INA
A true icon of the French chanson, Juliette Gréco, has died aged 93 after a fabled career that spanned eight decades.
Born in 1927, Gréco was imprisoned by the Nazis during World War Two, but afterwards began performing in cellar clubs and cafes.
Dressed in black, she became a muse to philosophers and writers including Jean-Paul Sartre and Albert Camus.
She only stopped performing aged 89 after a farewell tour.
Gréco was also a celebrated actor, working with some of cinema's greats, such as Jean Cocteau and Ingrid Bergman, Orson Welles and Ava Gardner.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54272708

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
RIP Dean Jones
The Aussie cricket legend has died of a heart attack in India.
I don't follow sport and hadn't heard of Jones but 59 is too young.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Oh no...

Aussie music legend Max Merritt has died from Goodpasture Syndrome, aged 79
RIA Hall of Fame artist Max Merritt has died aged 79 in a Los Angeles hospital after being diagnosed with Goodpasture Syndrome, a rare serious auto-immune disease that attacks the lungs and kidneys.
Merritt is best known for his 1975 hit Slippin’ Away, with his band Max Merritt and The Meteors, which reached number two while his other well known hit was Western Union Man.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/br...9/news-story/3296953986e902838567e3133517839b