Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
I've just read that James Randi has died.
The one word I took away with me from Randi's obituary in the D. Telegraph was from the sentence:
'Discussing Randi’s 1982 book The Truth About Uri Geller, the astronomer and author Carl Sagan acclaimed it “a witty and fascinating dissection of Uri Geller’s humbuggery '.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Jerry Jeff Walker - best known for "Mister Bojangles" and a legend in country rock circles - has died at 78.
Jerry Jeff Walker, Texas singer and songwriter, dies at 78

Jerry Jeff Walker, a Texas country singer and songwriter who wrote the pop song “Mr. Bojangles,” has died at age 78.

Walker died Friday of cancer, family spokesman John T. Davis told The Associated Press.

“He had battled throat cancer for many years, and some other health issues,” Davis said Saturday.

Walker emerged from New York’s Greenwich Village folk scene in the 1960s and he was a founding member of the band Circus Maximus. He moved to Texas in the 1970s and in 1972 scored a hit with his version of the Guy Clark song “L.A. Freeway.” ...

Walker and the Lost Gonzo Band in 1973 recorded an album live in Texas called “Viva Terlingua” that became a classic of the country-rock scene. Walker had since released more than 30 albums.

In 1986, he formed independent music label Tried & True Music and released albums under it.

Walker was diagnosed with throat cancer in 2017, undergoing chemotherapy and radiation, he told the Austin American Statesman in 2018. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/us-news-...walker-texas-10633d8176808f5e488b0fe112a021f2

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
You may not know his name but you've seen his work many times in movies.
Keith Short obituary
Sculptor and modeller who created pivotal props for films including Batman, Alien and Raiders of the Lost Ark

Ryan Gilbey
Fri 23 Oct 2020 18.02 BST

• https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/oct/23/keith-short-obituary#comments
    Even hardened movie buffs may not know the connection between the sleek, sinister Batmobile in Tim Burton’s Batman (1989), the cobra that goes nose-to-nose with a terrified Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) and the throne of Emperor Palpatine, with its hint of the Mastermind chair, in Return of the Jedi (1983). The figure who linked these objects is the sculptor and modeller Keith Short, who has died aged 79 from a stroke. In an era when hands rather than computers generated the spectacle on screen, he sculpted those pivotal props and many more besides.

etc
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/oct/23/keith-short-obituary

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Tremendous TV presenter, the ultimate "safe pair of hands", who managed to mess up massively and ruin his reputation. Of all the TV personalities, he seemed the least likely to end up in an S&M dungeon with prostitutes and drugs (you could accept Jamie Theakston would get up to that, but Frank?!). Yet here we are, it'll be the thing he's remembered for along with Grandstand and Breakfast Time and going around France with Nesta. RIP.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Tremendous TV presenter, the ultimate "safe pair of hands", who managed to mess up massively and ruin his reputation. Of all the TV personalities, he seemed the least likely to end up in an S&M dungeon with prostitutes and drugs (you could accept Jamie Theakston would get up to that, but Frank?!). Yet here we are, it'll be the thing he's remembered for along with Grandstand and Breakfast Time and going around France with Nesta. RIP.
Not being a sports fan, my main impression of Bough was a flash of his combover as I hit the channel button.

I remember thinking the silly sod. Didn't he get sacked, lie low for a while, start working again and then get caught up in another scandal?

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Not being a sports fan, my main impression of Bough was a flash of his combover as I hit the channel button.

I remember thinking the silly sod. Didn't he get sacked, lie low for a while, start working again and then get caught up in another scandal?
Didn't HIGNFY's Angus Deayton get caught with his pants down in very similar circumstances?
Whilst the BBC booted him out, he seems to have rebuilt his career to a certain degree.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Didn't HIGNFY's Angus Deayton get caught with his pants down in very similar circumstances?
Whilst the BBC booted him out, he seems to have rebuilt his career to a certain degree.
Different kettle of fish.

Frank was our old teacher from school, nice supportive uncle, the bloke who knew about sports, etc. Deayton not so much.

You guys must remember those days in the 70's and 80's when presenters like Bough were almost part of the family?

It was one of the first media scandals that I remember and like Scarg, I was like "what the fuck are you doing Bough?"

The redtops realized they were onto a winner with destroying the famous - us peasants lapped it up.

Now that we've created a monster with a horribly intrusive media that we now live with today. Initially went for the famous now spreads fear and hatred amongst everyone.

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
I once arranged a video conference at work with a Central American country. During the test call, something very similar was happening in the background as I was chatting to the technician at the other end. He didn't seem very perturbed by it.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score

He didn't make a comeback so much as appear in other places, being interviewed about his career (rather than his, uh, interests). I do remember Reeves and Mortimer put him on comedy gameshow Shooting Stars, and spelled his name "Frank Boff" which he didn't seem very amused by. Don't think there were two scandals, he was pretty comprehensively mortified by his actions in retrospect.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
He didn't make a comeback so much as appear in other places, being interviewed about his career (rather than his, uh, interests). I do remember Reeves and Mortimer put him on comedy gameshow Shooting Stars, and spelled his name "Frank Boff" which he didn't seem very amused by. Don't think there were two scandals, he was pretty comprehensively mortified by his actions in retrospect.
I used to teach his granddaughter.

Krepostnoi

Zing boom tararrel
Reaction score
Jerry Jeff Walker - best known for "Mister Bojangles" and a legend in country rock circles - has died at 78.

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/us-news-...walker-texas-10633d8176808f5e488b0fe112a021f2
I confess I've got a soft spot for Mister Bojangles. The sheer compassion of the last line, which is strangely heightened by it being at one remove from the song's narrator, gets me every time. Then there's that descending line in the root notes of the chord sequence. There are some rubbish covers, for sure, but my go-to version for a long time was - and it's maybe not intuitive - John Holt's:

I'm embarrassed to admit it's taken Walker's passing for me to actually go to the source. As Prince, or rather Sinead O'Connor, proved, the original isn't necessarily the best, but his take is still pretty good. None of the vocal flourishes that other performers seemed to feel the need to add, and some nice picking in and amongst.

If that's the only song you were known for - although the Guardian has put together a pretty good playlist of his - then you'd still be fairly well ahead.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Different kettle of fish.

Frank was our old teacher from school, nice supportive uncle, the bloke who knew about sports, etc. Deayton not so much.

You guys must remember those days in the 70's and 80's when presenters like Bough were almost part of the family?

It was one of the first media scandals that I remember and like Scarg, I was like "what the fuck are you doing Bough?"

The redtops realized they were onto a winner with destroying the famous - us peasants lapped it up.

Now that we've created a monster with a horribly intrusive media that we now live with today. Initially went for the famous now spreads fear and hatred amongst everyone.
If Frank Bough's scandals had happened now, it'd be a flash in the pan and he'd have been back on the telly a few weeks later.

I always found it admirable that he never hid from the revelations- he met them head on and admitted his own flaws. Compare and contrast to today's celebs and their predictable 'my twitter was hacked' excuse for bad online behaviour.

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
If Frank Bough's scandals had happened now, it'd be a flash in the pan and he'd have been back on the telly a few weeks later.

I always found it admirable that he never hid from the revelations- he met them head on and admitted his own flaws. Compare and contrast to today's celebs and their predictable 'my twitter was hacked' excuse for bad online behaviour.
Being involved in any sort of scandal these days would guarantee a place on some celeb reality show.