Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Fifteen years to the very day since another flawed genius in George Best passed away.
I was thinking exactly the same thing.
Tragically, the booze did for Best, but at least he wasn't involved in violent crime.
The sanctification of Maradonna does seem hideously misplaced.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
This is Argentina, three days is just a few long lunch-breaks strung together.
Fair enough I suppose.
I guess a basket case of a country, already in deep recession before Covid and seemingly never more than a short step away from totalitarianism, needs to celebrate its prominent citizens, no matter how flawed and corrupt.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Diego! Diego!

Di, me say Diego!

Diego scored and the English went home!

Rest In Glory Diego!

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yes, Pelé.

Because like, say, Muhammed Ali or Bruce Lee, he transcended the whole discipline to touch the minds of millions who had no interest in kicking balls, punching faces or Kung Fu fighting.

What they did was aesthetically beautiful and even, at times, suffused with the best of the human spirit.
Yes. I came to say something similar, although not quite so eloquently.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Tragically, the booze did for Best, but at least he wasn't involved in violent crime.
During his time in Naples, he was inevitably mixed up with the Camorra.
He did not commit violent crime himself, but the environment was treacherous and a matter of survival.
The Camorra as good as ran Naples.

Short of literally going to training and matches only and never going anywhere else, he was bound to run into them.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
I was thinking exactly the same thing.
He was the greatest player the world has ever seen. I don't think any of the other contenders had his flair. Yes, he was a horrible person but he could play football. (I still think Clemance would have saved that, (should have been disallowed), goal).

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
"he was a horrible person but he could play football "

Fair comment. That ought to be his epitaph - end of.
I was questioning the amount of hyperbolic gushing eulogies we have been subjected to across the media (notably the BBC).
As such a major benefactor to the mafia, no-one knows how many hits his money funded or how many women were sex-trafficked to keep him in prostitutes.
Just as Mussolini isn't lauded for making the trains run on time, Jimmy Savile for his charity work, Oscar Pistorius for his athletic prowess or the Kray twins for operating a successful neighbourhood watch scheme, I feel that history and football in particular, would be better off just drawing a line under this profoundly unpleasant man.

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Fifteen years to the very day since another flawed genius in George Best passed away.
Best was a huge hero and something of a heart-throb when I were a lass. Over the years his downfall was the drink, as you'll know.

When he underwent a liver transplant his progress was anxiously followed by fans in the tabloids. At the time I was working on t'wards and when liver was served to unappreciative patients I'd jolly them along by saying 'Come on now, try a little. George Best'd be grateful for that!'

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Yes, that was beautifully in poor taste.

I have no time for anybody who ruins their life deliberately

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Daria Nicolodi, star and muse of horror director Dario Argento's greatest era, has died at 70:
Obit

As well as acting in films like Deep Red and Opera, she co-wrote his masterpiece Suspiria. RIP.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
George Cockcroft aged 87 who wrote The Dice Man, attributed to a fictitious Luke Rhinehart. Living life on the roll of a die.
2 million copies in 23 languages, one well-worn copy from my youth still on a shelf somewhere.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
George Cockcroft aged 87 who wrote The Dice Man, attributed to a fictitious Luke Rhinehart. Living life on the roll of a die.
2 million copies in 23 languages, one well-worn copy from my youth still on a shelf somewhere.
Yes, that's quite a book! He never followed it up with the same success, a real one-hit wonder. It's a compelling read, alright, don't know if it would fly these days... RIP.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Yes, that's quite a book! He never followed it up with the same success, a real one-hit wonder. It's a compelling read, alright, don't know if it would fly these days... RIP.
a horrible book left a very bad taste.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Selfies! FFS!

A funeral worker who took a photo next to the open coffin of Argentine football icon Diego Maradona has asked fans for forgiveness.

Claudio Fernández was pictured standing next to Maradona's body, alongside his son, who made a thumbs-up gesture. A third man appeared in his own photo.

Maradona died at his home in Tigre, near Buenos Aires, on Wednesday.

The images surfaced online as Maradona's body lay in repose at the presidential palace, provoking outrage. The footballer's lawyer, Matías Morla, has vowed to take action against "the scoundrel" responsible for the photos.

Mr Fernandez told Radio 10 on Friday that the decision to take the photo was "something instantaneous".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-55110700

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
a horrible book left a very bad taste.
I can put up with a horrible protagonist if the book is well written, and The Dice Man has a pageturner of a premise, to see what he'll be told to do next. Mind you, I read American Psycho and didn't find it too difficult to finish no matter how revolting it became.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
I can put up with a horrible protagonist if the book is well written, and The Dice Man has a pageturner of a premise, to see what he'll be told to do next. Mind you, I read American Psycho and didn't find it too difficult to finish no matter how revolting it became.
I prefered AP as it was clearly a satire.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Dave Prowse has passed away.. RIP
Dave Prowse: Darth Vader actor dies aged 85
Published1 hour ago

Dave Prowse, the Bristolian former bodybuilder best known for playing Darth Vader in the original Star Wars trilogy, has died aged 85.
Prowse was cast as Vader for his imposing physique, even though the role was voiced by James Earl Jones.
But the weightlifter-turned-actor was most proud of playing the Green Cross Code Man. The role, promoting road safety in the UK, earned him an MBE.
"May the force be with him, always!" said his agent Thomas Bowington.
"Though famous for playing many monsters - for myself, and all who knew Dave and worked with him, he was a hero in our lives."
Mr Bowington called the actor's death, after a short illness, "a truly and deeply heart-wrenching loss for us and millions of fans all over the world".
etc
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55117704

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Prowse was also the Green Cross Code Man in the TV road safety adverts aimed at children. He made appearances at public events in the role.

When my kids were small he came to our local town carnival and I told the kids 'It's Darth Vader!'
He heard me, scowled and muttered Bristolian imprecations.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
There's just been a discussion on R4's Broadcasting House of Prowse's performance as Darth Vader, along with a comparison of his spoken contribution with that of James Earl Jones.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
My GP friend said she had treated him once.

So I said "Didnt know you were a cyberneticist..."