Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Bulloch is an interesting case, because the parts he played aside from Fett were decidedly non-badass, for example with Sir Cliff in Summer Holiday and as half of a gay couple in the sitcom 'Agony'.

It's like discovering Dredd had been played by John Inman.
Sir Cliff?

Not badass??

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Reaction score
Still, RIP. Even if I never really got the excitement around Boba Fett.
As someone who was very much of the Star Wars figure buying generation when Empire Strikes Back was released, I can say that we all fell in love with Boba Fett's action figure without really knowing who he was. He just looked cool! I think everything built around the character subsequently (including the never-more-popular mandalorian lore) has been driven by my generation's fascination with that little piece of plastic.

Anyway, a sad farewell to the first Star Wars generation's Boba Fett, and an accomplished actor.

I've just watched the near perfect season finale of The Mandalorian, and Jeremy Bulloch's legacy lives on.

lordmongrove

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just heard that Professor Bryan Sykes has passed away. Not only one of the world's leading geneticists but the author of Nature of the Beast one of the most important books on hominology ever written. A great ally in mainstream science to us cryptozoologists. In his last e-mail to me he said he was working on DNA he believed to be from a hybrid between modern man and an unknown hominin. I hope his work will be continued. On a personal level he was delightful and a great speaker at the CFZ's Weird weekend.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
Just heard that Professor Bryan Sykes has passed away. Not only one of the world's leading geneticists but the author of Nature of the Beast one of the most important books on hominology ever written. A great ally in mainstream science to us cryptozoologists. In his last e-mail to me he said he was working on DNA he believed to be from a hybrid between modern man and an unknown hominin. I hope his work will be continued. On a personal level he was delightful and a great speaker at the CFZ's Weird weekend.
Also mentioned on the necrolog section, with a link to an obituary. Apparently he died ten days ago.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
For all Australians here...

Doug Anthony, former Nationals leader and deputy prime minister, dies aged 90
Australia's longest-serving deputy prime minister, Doug Anthony, has died at the age of 90.

Key points:
  • Former Nationals leader Doug Anthony led his party for 13 years
  • He reluctantly entered politics at age 27 after the death of his father, Larry Anthony
  • As Nationals leader, he helped Malcolm Fraser to a record majority victory over Gough Whitlam
Mr Anthony led the Country-turned-National party for 13 years.

His family has confirmed the former farmer died this morning at a nursing home.

He is survived by his wife Margot, their three children and nine grandchildren.

Mr Anthony's career began as a dairy farmer in his home town of Murwillumbah, in the Tweed Valley in northern New South Wales.

Politics was in his blood and a young Mr Anthony spent his childhood accompanying his father, Hubert Lawrence "Larry" Anthony — a minister under Menzies — on trips to Canberra where they stayed at the Kurrajong hotel.

Those occasions meant he became acquainted with political giants like Earl Page and Labor war-time prime minister John Curtin.

"The person I liked the most was Curtin," he told the ABC in 2014.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-20/former-deputy-prime-minister-doug-anthony-dies/12590524

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
She always looked older than her years, one of those faces I suppose, which is why I was surprised to learn she'd just died. RIP.

Beresford

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Rosalind Knight, of the Carry On, St Trinians movies and assorted sit-coms dies, aged 87.

Even if you don't know the name, you're sure to recognise her face:

View attachment 32871

https://www.independent.ie/entertai...ss-rosalind-knight-dies-aged-87-39883333.html
Funnily enough I watched Blue Murder at St Trinian's last week. I recognised her face but couldn't put a name to it. She was superb as Beryl, the not quite retired prostitute, in Gimme Gimme Gimme.

Anome

Bibliomancer
Reaction score
For all Australians here...

Doug Anthony, former Nationals leader and deputy prime minister, dies aged 90

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-20/former-deputy-prime-minister-doug-anthony-dies/12590524
Kind of annoying everyone kept bringing up the Doug Anthony All Stars when talking about him. He really had nothing to do with them. Paul McDermott of said group, mentioned that Andrew Denton facilitated a meeting between them and the man himself, and they were acutely aware that they'd stolen his name, but he was very charitable about it.

As nice a person as he may have been, I have to say, as he was the leader of the Country Party (later the National Party), he was behind some of the problematic policy decisions of the Fraser government. Fraser himself even became a much nicer person after he stopped being PM, but nothing can really forgive the job they did on the economy, not to mention Medibank.

Last edited by a moderator:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Drug & alcohol free.

Diego Maradona's autopsy has revealed that the Argentina legend had no signs of alcohol or narcotics consumption at the time of his death.

The 1986 World Cup winner died of a heart attack on 25 November at the age of 60. The autopsy said Maradona had problems with his kidneys, heart and lungs. It had been ordered as part of an investigation into Maradona's death to see if there was any negligence in the healthcare he was provided.

Maradona, widely regarded as one of the greatest footballers of all time, had a successful operation on a brain blood clot earlier in November and had been due to be treated for alcohol dependency.

A first autopsy carried out on the day Maradona died found that the former Boca Juniors and Napoli player had died from "acute pulmonary edema secondary to exacerbated chronic heart failure with dilated cardiomyopathy".

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55430807

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Hip Hop Legend John Fletcher aka Ecstasy of the group Whodini.

Aged 56.

Saw him in concert 34 years ago....great stage show.

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Guy N. Smith, British pulp horror writer extraordinaire, died today:
Obit

According to his website, he was in hospital following a fall, caught Covid and died this morning. Poetic justice should have seen him devoured by a giant crab, but the world isn't too poetic at the moment. RIP.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Guitarist Leslie West (Mountain; West, Bruce & Laing; Woodstock) has died.
Leslie West, guitarist of rock band Mountain, has died at 75

Leslie West, an iconic guitarist-vocalist who was behind several ’70s rock anthems including “Mississippi Queen” with the popular band Mountain, has died. He was 75.

His spokesman Steve Karas said West died Wednesday in Palm Coast, Florida. Karas said West died from cardiac arrest after being rushed to the hospital.

West battled with health issues in the past few years. In 2011, his lower right leg was amputated in a life-saving operation related to his diabetes.

Rockers like Gene Simmons and Slash showed support for West on social media a day before his death when it was clear he was in dire condition. Paul Stanley called West a “gentle man and guitar hero” on Twitter.
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/mountain...-leslie-west-9455708468de37531dbdfb58f3674106

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Guy N. Smith, British pulp horror writer extraordinaire, died today:
Obit

According to his website, he was in hospital following a fall, caught Covid and died this morning. Poetic justice should have seen him devoured by a giant crab, but the world isn't too poetic at the moment. RIP.
I read all the crab books. Hardly Shakespeare but ok for a teenager.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Cricket legend John Edrich dies, aged 83.

He played his last test for England in 1977 - around the time I first got into cricket.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...ormer-england-and-surrey-batsman-dies-aged-83
Aw. Now one of John Edrich's team mates has returned to that big pavilion in the sky too.
RIP Robin Jackman. Cricketer and commentator.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...er-and-commentator-robin-jackman-dies-aged-75

I feel some Roy Harper is appropriate here:

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
One of those people I thought had died years ago.

George Blake: Soviet Cold War spy and former MI6 officer dies in Russia
Published27 minutes ago

George Blake, the former MI6 officer and one of the Cold War's most infamous double agents, has died aged 98, Russian media has reported.
Over nine years, the Soviet spy handed over information that led to the betrayal of at least 40 MI6 agents in Eastern Europe.
He was jailed in London in 1960, but escaped in 1966 and fled to Russia.
The Russian Foreign Intelligence Service said Blake "had a genuine love for our country".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55452313

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Last edited:

Beresford

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Jim McLean, former Dundee United manager and Scotland assistant manager, has died at the age of 83. He led Dundee Utd to the league title in 1983 and reached the semi-finals of the European Cup the next season (where they were cheated out of a spot in the final). I know from conversations with a retired player who was managed by one of Jim's brothers that he had been in a nursing home for quite a while with some form of dementia.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50338260

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
One of those people I thought had died years ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55452313
Reading some of his comments in the Guardian Obit he came across as egocentric and pretty cold. Saying he had no connection to GB which had taken him in during the war and educated him and his family.

I thought we had a different thread for these that we don't especially want to RIP? I'm sympathetic to some of the ideas of communism but this guy gave up possibly hundreds of people who would have died unpleasant deaths. He considered them traitors with no irony regarding his own behavior.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
I thought we had a different thread for these that we don't especially want to RIP? I'm sympathetic to some of the ideas of communism but this guy gave up possibly hundreds of people who would have died unpleasant deaths. He considered them traitors with no irony regarding his own behavior.
I thought that too but my brain is in festive slow down at the moment. I'm sure there are a lot of people who won't be sorry to see him go.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
They won't let us have a two minute hatred thread.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Mountain were among the pioneers of hard rock (maybe even grunge!) but also produced some brilliant and touching music. I hold them in the same regard as Free and Jimi Hendrix.
And Long Red is one of the most sampled records in Hip Hop.
Over 700 records have sampled it.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score