Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
"I'm sympathetic to some of the ideas of communism ..."

Those of us who, in pre-pandemic times, were obliged to commute to work on expensive, overcrowded and unreliable trains, may recall that Il Duce - the father of modern fascism, had one claim to fame (rather than notoriety) of implementing a supremely efficient railway service!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score

Those of us who, in pre-pandemic times, were obliged to commute to work on expensive, overcrowded and unreliable trains, may recall that Il Duce - the father of modern fascism, had one claim to fame (rather than notoriety) of implementing a supremely efficient railway service!
An urban myth, though, the trains might even have been comparatively worse under the fascists.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
You may not know the name but his work is more than familiar to telly watchers

Martin Lambie-Nairn: Designer behind famous BBC and Channel 4 'idents' dies
Published2 hours ago

Martin Lambie-Nairn, the noted designer who created popular "idents" for the BBC and Channel 4, has died aged 75.
His design consultancy created Channel 4's original animated "blocks" logo in 1982 and the globe balloon idents used by BBC One from 1997 to 2001.
His company also produced memorable idents for BBC Two, one of which had blue paint splashing horizontally across the screen to hit a metallic 2.
He was recently seen discussing his work on BBC Four's The Sound of TV.
etc
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55465330

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
The priest and retired head of the Vatican's Latin translation office, and a much larger-than-life personality than one might expect, has died after contracting COVID-19.
Reginald Foster, Vatican Latinist Who Tweeted in the Language, Dies at 81

One of the world’s foremost experts on Latin, Father Foster was a monk who looked like a stevedore, dressed like a janitor and swore like a sailor. ...

Reginald Foster, a former plumber’s apprentice from Wisconsin who, in four decades as an official Latinist of the Vatican, dreamed in Latin, cursed in Latin, banked in Latin and ultimately tweeted in Latin, died on Christmas Day at a nursing home in Milwaukee. He was LXXXI.

His death was confirmed by the Vatican. He had tested positive for the coronavirus two weeks ago ...

A Roman Catholic priest who was considered the foremost Latinist in Rome and, quite possibly, the world, Father Foster was attached to the Office of Latin Letters of the Vatican Secretariat of State from 1969 until his retirement in 2009. ...

If, having read this far, you are expecting a monastic ascetic, you will be blissfully disappointed. Father Foster was indeed a monk — a member of the Discalced Carmelite order — but he was a monk who looked like a stevedore, dressed like a janitor, swore like a sailor (usually in Latin) and spoke Latin with the riverine fluency of a Roman orator. ...

To the news media, for whom he was a lively perennial subject, Father Foster was the Latin King. To Vatican Radio, which broadcast a regular, highly discursive segment (in English) featuring him, he was the Latin Lover.

To the fanatically devoted, if gently frazzled, students who flocked to Rome to study with him, Father Foster was a taskmaster fondly known as Reginaldus.

“You will be picked on to answer questions,” he told The Sunday Telegraph of London in 2007, describing his pedagogy. “If you mess up, the Pope will make you disappear. He can do that, you know.”

To nearly everyone who met him, he was a knight-errant, evangelizing nobly, if quixotically, for the language he considered his mother tongue. ...

“You cannot understand St. Augustine in English,” Father Foster told The Telegraph, with characteristic righteous authority. “He thought in Latin. It is like listening to Mozart through a jukebox.” ...
FULL STORY: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/27/...t-who-tweeted-in-the-language-dies-at-81.html

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Requiesce in pace.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A few months ago I gave away my unsigned John Le Carre novels to the local Oxfam bookshop (I'm getting more brutal in my book ownership as I get older) but these are my signed Le Carre first editions. And they are not going anywhere. Looks like the 50th anniversary edition of The Spy Who Came In From The Cold is now expensive to buy – and the film, with Richard Burton and Claire Bloom, is excellent.

Attachments

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score

The Italian railway system was in a terrible state, so it wouldn't have been difficult. He certainly didn't make it 'supremely efficient' - he might have made it a bit better. After all, even Hitler improved the railways and roads in Germany. Much of course of which he then created the conditions for them to be destroyed again, ditto Mussolini.

The privatisation/nationalisation debate I won't get in to. Both can work. Neither work if there is constant political interference.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Adieu!

French designer Pierre Cardin, licensing pioneer, dies at 98
PARIS (AP) — French fashion designer Pierre Cardin possessed a wildly inventive artistic sensibility tempered by a stiff dose of business sense. He had no problem acknowledging that he earned more from a pair of stockings than from a haute-couture gown with a six-figure price tag.

Cardin, who died Tuesday at age 98, was the ultimate entrepreneurial designer. He understood the importance his exclusive haute couture shows played in stoking consumer desire and became an early pioneer of licensing. His name emblazoned hundreds of products, from accessories to home goods.

“The numbers don’t lie,” Cardin said in a 1970 French television interview. “I earn more from the sale of a necktie than from the sale of a million-franc dress. It’s counterintuitive, but the accounts prove it. In the end, it’s all about the numbers.”

The French Academy of Fine Arts announced Cardin’s death in a tweet. He had been among its illustrious members since 1992. The academy did not give a cause of death or say where the designer died.
https://apnews.com/article/paris-europe-pierre-cardin-france-4e00ace15b988d71c96f3e09940cba00

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
On no, one of my all time favourites. The island is looking lonelier & lonelier.

Dawn Wells, Mary Ann on 'Gilligan's Island,' Dies at 82
She said her character on the sitcom "was molded by me, from me" and that the "values and principles" of the Kansas farm girl mirrored her own.
Dawn Wells, the girl-next-door actress and former beauty queen who played the sweet Mary Ann Summers on the iconic CBS sitcom Gilligan's Island, died Wednesday morning. She was 82.

Wells died in Los Angeles of causes related to COVID-19, her publicist announced.

Other than Tina Louise, Wells was the last surviving member of the regular cast of the Sherwood Schwartz-created show, which featured three women and four men marooned on a desert island after their three-hour boat tour off the coast of Honolulu went inexplicably awry.

Airing amid the real-life tumult of the Vietnam War, the Civil Rights movement and unrest on college campuses, viewers welcomed the corny sitcom as wholesome escapism. It earned solid ratings during its 98-episode run from 1964-67 and attracted new fans through decades of syndication.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...-1149549?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Adopho Quinones aka Shabba Doo.

Aged 65.

Important dancer and choreographer in the development of Popping and Locking, member of The Lockers dance crew and had fame as "Ozone" in the Breakin' films.

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/adolfo-shabba-doo-quinones-dead-breakin-dancer-actor-1234876798/

View attachment 33255
An epic pop locker .. R.I.P. Ozone, OG up rocker when he wasn't in cheesy breaker films X :hoff:

Breakin' (5/11) Movie CLIP - Kelly Learns to Break Dance (1984) HD - YouTube

Last edited:

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Have to admit. I’m looking at half of these and thinking ‘Who’?
I am with you on that, and I think it's fine not to know who everyone is, particularly when it covers spheres we may have no interest in.

What we have to beware of is being proud of that ignorance. All those who say 'I NEVER watch TV/sport/read books/listen to music/have any knowledge of popular culture' can sometimes wear that as a badge of 'look how different and original I am!'

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score
Oh no. Another hero of mine gone. The Great Fatsby himself.

View attachment 33105

Mountain were among the pioneers of hard rock (maybe even grunge!) but also produced some brilliant and touching music. I hold them in the same regard as Free and Jimi Hendrix.
How had I never come across Mountain before? They would have been absolutely my thing 20-25 years ago. For that matter, they've been making a pretty good soundtrack to the past few days.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
He was known fora few famous quotes, the best being
“I’ve always said there’s a place for the press but they haven’t dug it yet.”
A few more:

Somebody compared him to Billy McNeil, but I don't remember Billy being crap.

Cricket is the only game that you can actually put on weight when playing.

Remember, lads, if football directors are too old to do it to their wives, they'll do it to their managers.

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
One of the most celebrated Hip Hop producers/MCs with a career spanning three decades.

MF DOOM aka Zev Love X.

Age 49.

download.jpg

Famous for wearing a mask...died in the year of the face mask.

31 October but announced an hour or so ago.

His work with KMD in the early 1990's was just right for the Native Tongues vibe...their second album Black Bastards was shelved by a nervous record company.
When it finally got released it was with a plain sleeve...but years later the edgy original surfaced.

Huge catalogue of work...his Czarface projects were cult classics.

Last edited:

Gene Hunt73

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Running around Wembley with the FA cup lid on his head after a 2-1 win therefore stopping Liverpool winning a unique treble which Manchester United went on to do 21 years later and winning promotion in style in 1975 a United legend.
(despite his indiscretion involving a physio's wife)
View attachment 33299
Re the physio's wife, I used to go to the Arsenal in late 70s/early 80s in the old Highbury stadium. They always had topical songs & often new ones would appear. They loved a humerous & topical song if it took the piss out of the opposition. There was a man named Harry at the back of the North Bank who started some of them off. If the match was a bit dull the North Bank would chant "Harry Harry give us a song, give us a song, give us a song". He'd then oblige with the starting line of a song which the North Bank would then join in with.

Anyway, one I remember when Man Utd were visiting was "Who's up Mrs Brown, who's up Mrs Brown, Tommy Tommy Docherty, Tommy Tommy Docherty" etc sung to the tune of 'Knees up Mrs Brown'.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
"Have to admit. I’m looking at half of these and thinking ‘Who’? "

Same here - none of those dead rappers, MCs or hip-hop performers provoked even the faintest glimmer of recognition on my part, but I guess the same could be said by other forumists about the cricketers or prog rock and heavy metal musicians I've posted about.
So, let's just acknowledge that these deceased people somehow touched the lives of whoever posted their obituary and accept them on that basis.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Re the physio's wife, I used to go to the Arsenal in late 70s/early 80s in the old Highbury stadium. They always had topical songs & often new ones would appear. They loved a humerous & topical song if it took the piss out of the opposition. There was a man named Harry at the back of the North Bank who started some of them off. If the match was a bit dull the North Bank would chant "Harry Harry give us a song, give us a song, give us a song". He'd then oblige with the starting line of a song which the North Bank would then join in with.

Anyway, one I remember when Man Utd were visiting was "Who's up Mrs Brown, who's up Mrs Brown, Tommy Tommy Docherty, Tommy Tommy Docherty" etc sung to the tune of 'Knees up Mrs Brown'.
There was a brilliant Guardian article years ago about footer chants. Even though I'm no sports fan it made me laugh.

An Italian team were playing against another whose city had been badly damaged in an earthquake.
Before the match there was head-scratching about how to insult the opposition in a topical way, until some wag came up with a word (which I wish I could remember) that meant 'earthquake victim'. Cruel but funny.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Joan Micklin Silver, filmmaker, dead at 85:
Obit

Started out strong with the Oscar-nominated Hester Street, and Between the Lines and Chilly Scenes of Winter are even better, but seemed to fade away after Crossing Delancey. The obit suggests it was because of studio interference who thought her material was too Jewish and too female.

I would suggest those male execs watch Chilly Scenes of Winter to learn about men who think they're good guys doing their best for women when they're really not. Very fine film (even with the altered ending imposed on it in later prints). RIP.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score