Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
It's getting like the time I cremated the cat and he came back.
Wow that would have made a twist in Pet Semetery.

Yeah, they are hard to tell apart when they've died. It's all the fur.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yes, apologies if anyone thought my post was in poor taste; I sometimes feel the need to laugh at sad times. And she really did deserve better. It seems she slipped away slowly, though, so I doubt she was aware of the situation.
In a sense, her death will be written about, read about, discussed and laughed about for years to come which albeit a little dark and black humoured, leaves a legacy that makes her perhaps now more memorable than her acting career would have ever done for her.
By all accounts she was a lovely human being, kind and considerate and you're 100% correct, she did deserve better, as we all do.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Tanya Roberts, one of Charlie's Angels and 007's sidekick has passed away. Such a beauty:

Tanya Roberts, Bond Girl and 'That '70's Show' Star, Dies at 65

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tanya-roberts-bond-girl-and-that-70s-show-star-dies-at-65
In perhaps the greatest Fortean twist of 2021 so far, it's now being reported that Tanya Roberts (former Charlie's Angel & Bond Girl) is still alive!

Tanya Roberts Still Alive, Rep Confirms

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/tanya-roberts-not-dead-1234878434/

This is great news, especially for Tanya herself!
She's dead again.

Tanya Roberts is dead, partner says after premature death declaration
The news comes after Roberts' representative mistakenly declared her dead a day prior

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainme...ead-after-premature-declaration-from-publicst
Can someone actually check before declaration? Measure twice, cut once, as my father used to say...

Schrodinger's Zebra

Desolation is all I see
Reaction score

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
William Link, co-creator of Columbo has passed away.

William Link, ‘Columbo’ and ‘Murder, She Wrote’ Co-Creator, Dies at 87

William Link, a writer and producer known for co-creating “Columbo” and “Murder, She Wrote,” died of congestive heart failure in Los Angeles on Sunday, his niece confirmed to Variety. He was 87.
Over the course of Link’s decades-long television career, he became known for working alongside screenwriter and producer Richard Levinson. The duo collaborated on a number of projects, including both “Columbo” and “Murder, She Wrote.”
etc
https://variety.com/2020/tv/obituar...ink-dead-columbo-murder-she-wrote-1234876219/

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
Loved Columbo, hated Murder, She Wrote. I thought Murder, She Wrote was crime show for elderly people in the 80s. Now I'll soon be old enough to watch it myself, but still hate it.

Angela Lansbury, still going strong (for now) at 95.
Angela Lansbury was brilliant in The Manchurian Candidate.

I'll be digging out my box set of Columbo DVDs and spending a cold, snowy day watching them.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
RIP Marion Ramsey, Broadway star and squeaky-voiced Hooks from Police Academy:
Obit

She was 73. She did a PA in Glasgow once to promote one of the sequels and was completely mobbed, one of the most popular appearances they ever had at that cinema.

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
Michael Apted, director of feature films and documentaries has passed away
Michael Apted, Director of ‘Coal Miner’s Daughter’ and ‘Up’ Series of Documentaries, Dies at 79

Michael Apted, who directed the “Up” series of documentaries, as well as “Coal Miner’s Daughter,” “Gorillas in the Mist” (1988), “Nell” (1994), James Bond film “The World Is Not Enough” (1999) and “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader” (2010), has died, his agency Gersh confirmed. He was 79.
Apted directed three actors in performances that drew Academy Award nominations: Sissy Spacek in “Coal Miner’s Daughter,” Sigourney Weaver in “Gorillas in the Mist” and Jodie Foster in “Nell,” with Spacek going on to win the Oscar.
etc
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/michael-apted-dead-up-docs-1234881490/

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I guess that really is the end of the 7 Up series. He made some good films, but that simple idea for a TV documentary was so ingenious, so riveting, that it's justifiably regarded as a classic. It's a wonderful legacy. RIP.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
John Richardson, British film star, dies at 86 of Covid:
Obit

Best known for romancing Raquel Welch in One Million Years BC and Ursula Andress in She. Also made a lot of Italian movies. Bit stolid, but a handsome fellow. RIP.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I guess that really is the end of the 7 Up series. He made some good films, but that simple idea for a TV documentary was so ingenious, so riveting, that it's justifiably regarded as a classic. It's a wonderful legacy. RIP.
Absolutely! It (the Up series) runs the gamut of life itself, it's ups and downs, it's wonders and disappointments, it's sadness and achievements. It speaks of life long friendships, marriages that did and didn't last the distance, of watching your own children grow and their own successes. Families and their never ending problems and never ending joys. Unexpected careers and the places they can take you and the people they can introduce you to. I don't think I've ever watched and episode and not shed a tear. ''It's a wonderful legacy''... Indeed.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought Murder, She Wrote was crime show for elderly people in the 80s. Now I'll soon be old enough to watch it myself, but still hate it.
It's twee, unchallenging and has a seemingly endless number of episodes, none of which vary much from one another, but it clearly had a solid audience or they wouldn't have kept it going (US television is a lot of things, but sentimental it ain't.) As has been said though, Angela Lansbury is a very capable actor, and to be honest Murder She Wrote was probably undemanding and quite fun to make, so why not?

Anome

Bibliomancer
Reaction score
It's twee, unchallenging and has a seemingly endless number of episodes, none of which vary much from one another, but it clearly had a solid audience or they wouldn't have kept it going (US television is a lot of things, but sentimental it ain't.) As has been said though, Angela Lansbury is a very capable actor, and to be honest Murder She Wrote was probably undemanding and quite fun to make, so why not?
It fits in with the genre like Diagnosis: Murder and, as referred to frequently on The Simpsons, Matlock. It's simple procedural with an older lead for the audience to identify with. Nothing ground breaking, but it's not meant to be.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I've watched quite a few episodes over the years. It's pretty formulaic stuff, is completely unlikely and a bit 'cosy' - like an old pair of boots. It's what you watch when there's nothing else on, really.

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
I've watched quite a few episodes over the years. It's pretty formulaic stuff, is completely unlikely and a bit 'cosy' - like an old pair of boots. It's what you watch when there's nothing else on, really.
I was always hoping for a final episode where Jessica Fletcher is revealed as a serial killer.

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
I was always hoping for a final episode where Jessica Fletcher is revealed as a serial killer.
I think most of her friends ended up in prison, for murders. I watched a few episodes in the beginning, but it was too formulaic. It was usually one of her friends who had did it. But she could of course trust her friend, the sheriff.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I thought the introduction to Murder She Wrote shows New York scenes including the World Trade Buildings. Having checked, I now find it doesn't. So what series was I thinking of?

TangletwigsDeux

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I thought the introduction to Murder She Wrote shows New York scenes including the World Trade Buildings. Having checked, I now find it doesn't. So what series was I thinking of?
Barney Millar? My hind brain is seeing that as a fit... to youtube!
:sherlock:

EDIT: Well its definitely there:
:botp: