Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Jim Haynes, an American in Paris who played host to the world, has died at age 87:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-55703174

I'd never heard of him but he must have been a fascinating character. Memory eternal!
That's a life and a half. I enjoy reading obituaries of people I've never heard of, especially when they've lived such rich and varied lives – and Mr Haynes certainly qualifies on that score.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Darn, I was hoping Cloris would do a Betty White and make the century. Wonderful range, yes, excellent at comedy, but dramatically she steals The Last Picture Show. I believe she was the oldest contestant ever on Dancing with the Stars, too, maybe worldwide. RIP.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
The Nobel Prize winning Dutch scientist who identified ozone depletion from CFCs and coined the term 'Anthropocene' has died.
Paul Crutzen, who shared Nobel for ozone work, has died

Paul J. Crutzen, a Dutch scientist who won the Nobel Prize for chemistry for his work understanding the ozone hole and is credited with coining the term Anthropocene to describe the geological era shaped by mankind, has died.

The Max Planck Institute for Chemistry in Mainz, Germany, where Crutzen was the director of atmospheric chemistry from 1980 until his retirement in 2000, confirmed that he died Thursday at the age of 87.

“Paul Crutzen was a pioneer in many ways,” Martin Stratmann, the president of the Max Planck Society, said in a statement. “He was the first to show how human activities damage the ozone layer.” ...

“Paul Crutzen was a giant among scientists, and his work proves that it is possible to do science at the very highest level, while also attending to the moral, political, and cultural ramifications of your work,” said Harvard science historian Naomi Oreskes. “His name and legacy will live on, but his presence will be sorely missed.” ...

" ... Crutzen alerted the world to the danger of ozone depletion caused by the pollutants known as chlorofluorocarbons from spray cans,” said Penn State climate scientist Michael Mann.

Mann said Crutzen’s coining of the term ‘Anthropocene’ — based on the ancient Greek word for human — in an article for Nature in 2002 “so elegantly but simply captured the sobering notion that human impacts on our planet can, in just decades, rival the geological forces that led to mass extinctions over the eons.”

Crutzen had argued that, because the effects of humans on the environment had escalated so greatly in the past three centuries that global climate could be significantly altered, a specific term should be used to describe the period from the late 18th century to the present.

The term has since gained widespread use in scientific and environmental discourse as a way of reflecting the impact that humans have had on the planet and the daunting challenge posed by man-made climate change. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/science-...imate-change-08f60dca0a3301b31c2c80b1213a1b79

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The rather wonderful Cicely Tyson has passed away...

Cicely Tyson, Pioneering Hollywood Icon, Dies at 96
Emmy- and Tony-winning actress Cicely Tyson, who distinguished herself in theater, film and television, died on Thursday afternoon. She was 96.

“I have managed Miss Tyson’s career for over 40 years, and each year was a privilege and blessing,” her manager, Larry Thompson, said in a statement. “Cicely thought of her new memoir as a Christmas tree decorated with all the ornaments of her personal and professional life. Today she placed the last ornament, a Star, on top of the tree.”

Her memoir “Just As I Am” was published on Tuesday.

Tyson made her film debut with a small role in 1957’s “Twelve Angry Men” and her formal debut in the 1959 Sidney Poitier film “Odds Against Tomorrow,” followed by “The Comedians,” “The Last Angry Man,” “A Man Called Adam” and “The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter.” Refusing to participate in the blaxploitation movies that became popular in the late ’60s, she waited until 1972 to return to the screen in the drama “Sounder,” which captured several Oscar nominations including one for Tyson as best actress.
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/cicely-tyson-dead-dies-1234895188/

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Veteran British comic artist Don Harley has passed away
In Memoriam: Dan Dare and Thunderbirds comic artist Donald “Don” Harley
BY JOHN FREEMAN on JANUARY 28, 2021 • ( 0 )

A tribute by Jeremy Briggs and John Freeman

We’re sorry to report the passing of veteran comic artist Don Harley, one of the few remaining creators to have worked on the original “Dan Dare” strip for Eagle comic.

He was also highly regarded for his work on titles such as Countdown, drawing “Thunderbirds” and other strips, and for several contributions to the Dan Dare-inspired comic magazine Spaceship Away.

Born in London in 1927, Donald Eric Harley studied at the the Epsom School of Art from the age of 14, from January 1942 and passed the Board of Education Drawing certificate in 1944. From September 1944 to July 1945 he was employed at Grafton Arts, St. Brides Square, Fleet Street, London then he was called up for National Service in the Army aged 18. However, he still carried on with his art education whilst in the Army by attending Oxford and Salisbury Art Schools for evening classes in Life Drawing.

etc
https://downthetubes.net/?p=124443&...wo0UqKiWLIyJb1wx5AmnhOEi-zEpOLDv2VGJLB_HGuijs

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Freddy - the Guinness-recognized tallest dog in the world - has passed away at the age of 8.
Freddy the Great Dane, tallest dog in the world, dead at 8

Freddy, a Great Dane known as the tallest dog in the world, has died.

Guinness World Records, which conferred the tallest-dog honor on Freddy in 2016, announced Freddy's passing in a press release Wednesday. He was eight and a half. ...

When measured by a veterinarian and the book's editor-in-chief, Freddy stood three feet, four inches "from foot to withers" -- the withers being the tallest part of a dog's shoulder.

Standing on his hind legs, he 7 feet and 5.5 inches tall. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...est-dog-in-the-world-dead-at-8/5231612050317/

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Hilton Valentine, guitarist with The Animals, who created the legendary Am arpeggio riff for House of the Rising Sun, dies aged 77.
Like countless other would-be rock stars, that was the first chord progression I learnt to play after buying my first guitar.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55875914

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
He didn't exactly cover himself in glory after he left that show, but that's a hell of a way to die. RIP.
Yeah he got into some scrapes alright. He could never come to terms that he'd had his 15 minutes of fame and it was now over. He made some pretty unpleasant comments about his castmates as well from memory.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
One way or another, he remained more or less in the public eye, just not always the way he wanted...
I read that he delayed seeking medical assistance/advice because the cancerous growth had become apparent and he didn't want to be seen or photographed at a hospital as he knew he would be recognised and stories would appear.

If so, a tragic case of living and dying by the sword.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Holbrook's signature role as Mark Twain in his one-man show Mark Twain Tonight would have been enough to guarantee his fame and awards. I recall watching it when it was first broadcast on TV back in the Sixties and hearing excerpts from the album recording before that. His many other roles and recognition / awards for them were in effect a second successful career. RIP ...

Last edited:

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
For those in the UK this man has featured heavily over the past few months

Captain Sir Tom Moore raised over £33 million for charity and inspired many others. He has died today with Covid. He made it to 100 and he raised people's spirits.
That's a desperate shame. At a difficult time, he reminded so many of us what it really meant to be British, but more than that, what it meant to be human.

Top man, and what a legacy he leaves. He reminded us that we all have it in us to help each other and to make a difference, however small.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/captain...cxtuyDbac3QOaudd232SHPHZol_wUoFujgmX6kPeDkMPo

Captain Sir Tom Moore raised over £33 million for charity and inspired many others. He has died today with Covid. He made it to 100 and he raised people's spirits.
A great shame, but a man who made a real difference over an 80-year period – you can't argue with that. And another victim with Covid. RIP Captain Sir Tom.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/captain...cxtuyDbac3QOaudd232SHPHZol_wUoFujgmX6kPeDkMPo

An inspiration not just in the UK. Pity they didn't promote him to Major Tom though. Damn you Boris, you could have done that!

Farewell Major Tom, may you go to Valhalla!

Though I'm past one hundred thousand miles
I'm feeling very still
And I think my spaceship knows which way to go

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
RIP Captain Sir Tom. Your quiet graceful dignity and diligence earned you your recent and rightful prominence in a time when we all needed a reminder what it means to truly and constructively contribute.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
An inspiration not just in the UK. Pity they didn't promote him to Major Tom though. Damn you Boris, you could have done that!

Farewell Major Tom, may you go to Valhalla!

Though I'm past one hundred thousand miles
I'm feeling very still
And I think my spaceship knows which way to go
He was indeed made an honorary colonel of his regiment.