Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
RE: "Genuine Fortean Deaths"

The R.I.P. thread is not limited to deaths that are Fortean in nature or involve Fortean figures.

The former is the province of the Strange Deaths thread (and / or certain other more specialized threads), and the latter is the province of the Necrolog thread.

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Not exactly a big celeb death, but the intersection involved is very near my home, and when I lived in another part of town I passed it almost every day.

Rapper Nicki Minaj's father dies in hit-and-run, police say
By Elizabeth Joseph and Susannah Cullinane, CNN
Updated 5:31 PM EST, Sun February 14, 2021

(CNN) - Rapper Nicki Minaj's father has died in a hit-and-run accident, police said.

Robert Maraj, 64, was walking in Mineola, Long Island, on Friday at 6:15 p.m. when he was "was struck by a northbound, undescribed, vehicle that left the scene of the accident," the Nassau County Police Department said in a statement.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/14/entertainment/nicki-minaj-father-dies-hit-and-run-trnd/index.html

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m dreading opening this subsection as I know it’s going to be Tom Baker in the near future. I have no knowledge of his current health, I just feel it in my waters!

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score
I was just about to regale you with the story of how my dad once bumped into him in a Little Chef, but then I remembered two things:

It's not a very exciting story.

It was Eddie Charlton, not Doug Mountjoy.
I can beat that: John Parrott once refused to get into a lift with me.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I can beat that: John Parrott once refused to get into a lift with me.
I think I can beat that: I once advised someone not to spike a pint of beer with LSD left on the bar by Eric Bristow at a celebrity darts charity event at The Middle Bell in Barton Under Needwood .. Sean had those acid tabs on him and he thought it would be funny .. I told him not to. The tab was a 'Ying Yang'.

Last edited:

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Rush Limbaugh has died.

No desire to compile a long list of beliefs and actions of his that I disagreed with, but he was a huge figure in U.S. radio for a long time.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Acerbic talk radio icon Rush Limbaugh has died at 70. He and Larry King were the central players in the rise of the talk radio genre decades ago. Limbaugh's relentless conservative pronouncements sometimes veered into conspiracy theory territory, and both factors made him a persistently controversial figure.
Rush Limbaugh, conservative media icon, dead at 70 following battle with cancer

Rush Limbaugh, the conservative media icon who for decades used his perch as the king of talk-radio to shape the politics of both the Republican Party and nation, died Wednesday after a battle with cancer. He was 70 years old.

Limbaugh's wife Kathryn made the announcement on his radio show Wednesday. ...

A pioneer of AM talk-radio, Limbaugh for 32 years hosted "The Rush Limbaugh Show," a nationally-syndicated program with millions of loyal listeners that transfigured him into a partisan force and polarizing figure in American politics. In many ways, his radio show was like the big bang of the conservative media universe. "TheRush Limbaugh Show" helped popularize the political talk-radio format and usher in a generation of conservative infotainment.

Using his sizable platform, Limbaugh advanced conservative ideas, though he often waded into conspiratorial waters and generated controversy for hateful commentary on gender and race. During the course of his career, Limbaugh started a number of fires with his commentary. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/17/media/rush-limbaugh-obituary/index.html