Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Hire-wire ?
That's the title AP gave the article ...

Edit: AP has now corrected their article, and I've edited the earlier post to reflect the correction.

Last edited:

bugmum

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
This seems to have been badly underreported.

Victor Ambrus - illustrator of many books and resident illustrator for Time Team died on the 10th feb 2021.

His style was instantly recognizable and many of us would have seen his work when we were growing up.

https://celebritiesdeaths.com/victo...tor-ambrus-illustrator-on-time-team-has-died/

I completely missed this, and I am very sad to hear it. I have a copy of Shakespeare stories retold for children, stolen form my late mother, which was illustrated by Victor Ambrus. Beautiful, beautiful pictures.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

pandacracker

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Roger Mudd, legendary political reporter for CBS News, has died at 93
Roger Mudd, the CBS newsman whose political reporting and substitute anchoring on "The CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite" made him a familiar and respected face to tens of millions of Americans in the 1960s and 1970s, died Tuesday of complications from kidney failure at his home in McLean, Virginia. He was 93.
I really respected this guy. He and Cronkite set the bar for me as far as what a TV journalist should be. That bar is far too high for today's crop.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/roger-mudd-legendary-political-reporter-for-cbs-news-has-died-at-93/

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Roger Mudd, legendary political reporter for CBS News, has died at 93
I really respected this guy. He and Cronkite set the bar for me as far as what a TV journalist should be. That bar is far too high for today's crop. ...
Agreed ... Huntley and Brinkley (NBC) were the only other ones in the same league. Nobody since then has ever quite achieved the same degree of trust from, or rapport with, the audience.

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Reaction score
Duggie Fields British Artist And Fashion Icon Dies Age 76
Duggie Fields, who died yesterday, was one of the new figurative painters that defined Britain in the 1970s and 80s. His work was internationally influential, especially his graphic sensibility. His fashion sense was second to none. He emerged in the early seventies as a fashion icon in the book Cheap Chic, and along with his friends the clothes designer Zandra Rhodes, Artists Andrew Logan, and Kevin Whitney created precedence for style, glamour, and art not seen outside of Andy Warhol’s Factory scene.

In 1968, Fields lived in Earl’s Court Square and shared a flat with Syd Barrett, who had just left Pink Floyd. Fields still lived in the same flat, and he worked in Barrett’s former room, using it as his atelier.
https://www.artlyst.com/news/duggie-fields-british-artist-fashion-icon-dies-age-76/

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Agreed ... Huntley and Brinkley (NBC) were the only other ones in the same league. Nobody since then has ever quite achieved the same degree of trust from, or rapport with, the audience.
After he retired Cronkite summed it up well, I think, when he decried both the phrase "investigative journalism" and the sensationalistic form of reporting it had become associated with. To Cronkite, all real journalism is investigative. Today's TV journalists are mostly just news readers, often obviously unfamiliar with the very stories they're reading.

Mudd once ended a broadcast with a story about an attempt to overturn the conviction of Dr. Samuel Mudd, who tended to the wounds of Lincoln assassin John Wilkes Booth. He said everyone in the newsroom voted not to include the story, but one vote won out. Although it was a joking way to mention his distant relationship to the doctor, it was also a declaration of the power of anchorman as journalist.

Last edited:

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Glastonbury Pyramid Stage designer Bill Harkin dies

Tributes have been paid to Bill Harkin, who designed and built the first Glastonbury Pyramid Stage, following his death at the age of 83.

The Pyramid Stage came to Mr Harkin in a dream and in 1971 it was built for the second Glastonbury Festival.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-56344065

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Lou Ottens, Who Invented the Cassette in 1960s and Later Helped Develop CDs, Dies at 94

Lou Ottens, an engineer who invited the concept of the cassette tape in the early 1960s and later helped develop compact discs, died Saturday at 94, according to news reports from the Netherlands.
Ottens was working for Philips when he company unveiled cassettes at a 1963 radio exhibition in Berlin. Prior to the cassette, audio enthusiasts looking for portability had to rely on much bulkier recorders and players; there was never such a thing as a reel-to-reel Walkman for a reason.
“It was a big surprise for the market,” Ottens, then 87, said in a 2013 Time magazine story that celebrated the 50th anniversary of the medium being introduced. “It was so small in comparison with reel-to-reel recorders that it was at that moment a sensation.”

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/lou-ottens-dead-invented-cassette-tape-cd-1234927713/

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Prior to the cassette, audio enthusiasts looking for portability had to rely on much bulkier recorders and players
The Philips Compact Cassette was the one that caught on but there had been several earlier tape cassette formats. The heyday of the Compact Cassette came in the seventies, when Dolby B noise-reduction became standard*, at a time when vinyl records were testing the patience of collectors with pressing-problems. They continued for a while, alongside vinyl and CDs but faded out in the later eighties, when their price had drifted upwards to match the new digital medium.

In the wake of the vinyl revival, the once-unloved cassette has become a cult in recent years; only yesterday, I learned that one dealer-enthusiast was giving up on the business, as sourcing new-old product was becoming impossible.

RIP. Lou Ottens. Your progeny, evidently, live on! :)

*Mysteriously popular, given that the effect of Dolby B is akin to listening through a wet dish-cloth. Those of us who were raised on - if not exactly contemporary with 78s - can tolerate a bit of tape hiss!

Last edited:

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The Philips Compact Cassette was the one that caught on but there had been several earlier tape cassette formats. The heyday of the Compact Cassette came in the seventies, when Dolby B noise-reduction became standard*, at a time when vinyl records were testing the patience of collectors with pressing-problems. They continued for a while, alongside vinyl and CDs but faded out in the later eighties, when their price had drifted upwards to match the new digital medium.

In the wake of the vinyl revival, the once-unloved cassette has become a cult in recent years; only yesterday, I learned that one dealer-enthusiast was giving up on the business, as sourcing new-old product was becoming impossible.

RIP. Lou Ottens. Your progeny, evidently, live on! :)

*Mysteriously popular, given that the effect of Dolby B is akin to listening through a wet dish-cloth. Those of us who were raised on - if not exactly contemporary with 78s - can tolerate a bit of tape hiss!
I see that meneer Ottens created his cassette tapes to have a side A and B.
He was also heavily involved in the development of the CD.
If he'd lived a bit longer, I bet his next development would be the "EF"....

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine
Reaction score
I see that meneer Ottens created his cassette tapes to have a side A and B.
He was also heavily involved in the development of the CD.
If he'd lived a bit longer, I bet his next development would be the "EF"....
The Electronic Format?

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Reaction score
Norman J. Warren 1942 – 2021
The trio of horror films he made in the ‘70s have become cult classics, and still play all over the world: Satan’s Slave (1976), Prey (1977), and Terror (which went to the number one spot in the UK box office for a week in 1978) all have a devoted fan base who love their exploitative charms. As the decade was coming to a close, Norman turned his attention to sci-fi, directing a space sex comedy (thus melding two hit box office genres), Spaced Out (aka Outer Touch, 1979), and perhaps his best known film, Inseminoid (1981). For the latter, he teamed up with veteran US producer Richard Gordon and Hong Kong legends the Shaw Brothers, and despite being perceived as an Alien ‘knock-off’, the script was finished before the Ridley Scott film was released, and even 20th Century Fox agreed it wasn’t a clone.

UK boutique label Indicator released a collection of Norman’s genre films several years ago in the box set Bloody Terror: The Shocking Cinema of Norman J. Warren 1976 - 1987, which sold very well.
https://www.starburstmagazine.com/norman-j-warren-1942-2021

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
I just recently watched him in Uncharted Mysteries, a documentary series where he explored various strange phenomena - Mt Shasta, Jersey Devil, Mohave Sandman etc. RIP

Cliff Simon: Actor who played Ba'al in Stargate dies aged 58
Published3 hours ago

Actor Cliff Simon, best known as the villain Ba'al on Stargate SG-1, has died aged 58, his family has confirmed.
The South African actor's TV credits also included appearances in NCIS, Castle, Days of Our Lives, and 24.
In a statement, Simon's wife Colette spoke of her "unimaginable heartbreak" as she confirmed his death.
She explained her husband died after being involved in a kiteboarding accident at Topanga Beach in California earlier this week.
"He was known to most of you on this page as the villain you loved to hate, Ba'al, from Stargate SG-1," Colette Simon said in a post on Facebook.
"But, as he said, 'Acting is what I do, it's only a part of who I am.' And he was SO much more - a true original, an adventurer, a sailor, swimmer, dancer, actor, author. There is a gaping hole where he once stood on this earth. He was loved by too many to mention and had a great impact on so many lives."
etc
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56371582

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Grand Theft Auto: Rockstar Leeds founder Gordon Hall dies aged 51

A games developer who founded one of the studios which made titles in the hugely successful Grand Theft Auto series has died aged 51.

Gordon Hall launched Möbius Entertainment, which became Rockstar Leeds and created versions of the open-world game for handheld consoles.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-56374535

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I am so sad to hear of the passing of Murray - his voice was the soundtrack to my love of F1 for many years.
I expect that F1 will have a significant event to mark his death.
All the teams and drivers will, I also expect, be black arm-banded for the first race of the season.