Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I won't say it's the best thing Murray ever did, but I did appreciate his voiceover in the English language version of The Pinchcliffe Grand Prix. RIP.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Murray Walker: Formula 1 broadcasting legend dies at 97

Former Formula 1 commentator Murray Walker has died at the age of 97.

Walker commentated on his first grand prix race for the BBC at Silverstone in 1949 and became a full-time F1 commentator in 1978.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/56388596
There are few who become synonymous with a particular sport and he was one of them. By all accounts a wonderful man, friendly and knowledgable with boundless enthusiasm for his passion.
Even those without an interest in F1 instantly recognised his voice without knowing his name, so entrenched and a part of it he became.

I was never a motor racing fan, however, for me F1 was a different scenario all together and here (in Australia) it was almost always broadcast late at night or the very early hours of the morning and when you heard Murray's golden voice, you knew you were in for a couple of great hours.

The term 'Legend' along with 'Hero' is too often used these days in my opinion, but in this case, it couldn't be more appropriate.

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score

Walker commentated on his first grand prix race for the BBC at Silverstone in 1949 and became a full-time F1 commentator in 1978.

Sad to hear this, especially as I was pleasantly surprised just the other day to learn that he had still been with us at that point.

He had a solid background in motorcycle sport, and was a tank commander during WW2 (he was at a trials competition in Austria when the war broke out, but somehow made it home).

After the war, he combined commentating with a career in advertising. He headed the team which claimed "A mars a day helps you work, test and play", although he refused credit for it himself, and came up with "Opal Fruits make your mouth water".

A rounded individual.

Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

He was a captain in the Royal Scots Greys and commanded a Sherman Tank in action in 1944-45.

Went into battle during Op. Veritable in the Reichswald Forest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Veritable

EwY5ZThWYAENmQt.jpeg

I've nothing but respect for the man.

May he rest in peace.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
A legend has passed away.
A word used too often but very much true on this occasion.
And I still say he beat Leonard.

Marvelous Marvin Hagler
Aged 66.

https://www.fightful.com/mma/report-boxing-legend-marvelous-marvin-hagler-dead-66

View attachment 36646
what an amazing boxer. Both hands, just sublime you actually feel for Minter he took more shots than most did. Marvin was just brilliant in his pomp. So skilled - I loved watching him before the sport got silly.

A giant of boxing. The best at his weight.

Last edited:

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
He was a captain in the Royal Scots Greys and commanded a Sherman Tank in action in 1944-45.
Went into battle during Op. Veritable in the Reichswald Forest.

Apparently, during the weekend of a German Grand Prix at the Nurburgring track, he was sitting in the commentary box with James Hunt one day when there was not much action on the track due to the weather, and as he gazed out over the nearby countryside he turned to Hunt and said "You know......I remember driving a tank through there......" (or words to that effect)

Mrs Migs

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Thats someone I would have put in the no longer with us category. Many happy weekend memories of watching The High Chapparal.
Me too. Loved Manolito - if I’d been older than about seven, I’d have said it was a crush... Among my family you were either a fan of Bonanza or the High Chaparral. No prizes for guessing where my loyalty lay!

pandacracker

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This has been a real memory jog. I used to lie in bed listening to the theme music of the High Chaparral because it was on after my bedtime. The rest of the family (parents and two older sisters) would talk about the programme and I would get cross and upset because I was left out

It was a right of passage when I was finally old enough to stay up and watch the programme. I could also join my sisters in playing The High Chaparral (riding pillows for horses on their beds) Oldest sister was Manalito, second was Buck, I was, of course, Blue Boy.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Me too. Loved Manolito - if I’d been older than about seven, I’d have said it was a crush... Among my family you were either a fan of Bonanza or the High Chaparral. No prizes for guessing where my loyalty lay!
I loved both of them as well as 'gunsmoke', 'the lone ranger' and 'zorro' :)

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine
Reaction score
Ronald "Butch" DeFeo, Jr., of Amityville horror fame, has died.

Ronald DeFeo Jr., the man who fatally shot his entire family on Long Island, a crime so horrible it was immortalized in a movie, has died while serving 25 years-to-life for the murders.

DeFeo, who shot and killed his mother, father, two sisters, and two brothers while they slept in their Suffolk County home in Amityville 1974, died on Friday, March 12, New York State officials confirmed.

Cross-posted in Amityville thread.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Always an imposing presence on the screen RIP
Yaphet Kotto, Bond Villain and ‘Alien’ Star, Dies at 81

Yaphet Kotto, an actor known for his performances in “Alien,” the James Bond film “Live and Let Die” and the television series “Homicide: Life on the Street,” has died, his agent Ryan Goldhar confirmed to Variety. He was 81.
Kotto’s wife, Tessie Sinahon, first posted about Kotto’s death on Facebook Monday night.
“I’m saddened and still in shocked of the passing of my husband Yaphet of 24 years. He died last night around 10:30pm Philippine time,” sge wrote. “…You played a villain on some of your movies but for me you’re a real hero and to a lot of people also. A good man, a good father, a good husband and a decent human being, very rare to find. One of the best actor in Hollywood a Legend. Rest in Peace Honey, I’m gonna miss you everyday, my bestfriend, my rock.”

etc
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/yaphet-kotto-dead-dies-alien-bond-villain-1234931654/

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
Always an imposing presence on the screen RIP...
Yup - a very big screen presence. Homicide: Life on the Street is still, to my mind, one of the best TV cop dramas ever made, and Kotto an integral part of the fabric of that series. It was only recently that I found out that he also wrote as well as acted for Homicide which makes him deserving of even more propers, given the general standard of the writing.

Last edited:

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
One of my favourite actors.

Blue Collar one of my favourite films.

His performance as Amin in Raid on Entebbe was a standout.

Interesting family background....related to royalty as @GNC points out, and a practicing Jew from birth too.