Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Gone way too soon. She always brightened up Top Gear when she appeared. RIP
Sabine Schmitz dead: Top Gear presenter and Queen of the Nurburgring passes away aged 51
Schmitz, the Queen of the Nurburgring, was a familiar face on British television due to her spell on the BBC's Top Gear over the years, first appearing on the show back in 2004

By
Matt MaltbyContent Editor, National Sports Network Desk
  • 08:28, 17 MAR 2021
  • UPDATED09:00, 17 MAR 2021

German racing legend Sabine Schmitz has tragically passed away aged 51 after a long battle with cancer.
Schmitz, the Queen of the Nurburgring, was a familiar face on British television due to her spell on the BBC's Top Gear over the years, first appearing on the show back in 2004.
Last year she revealed she had been secretly battling cancer since 2017.
Nurburgring, the iconic German racing track, revealed the tragic news on Wednesday morning.
A statement read: "The Nurburgring has lost its most famous female racing driver.
"Sabine Schmitz passed away far too early after a long illness. We will miss her and her cheerful nature. Rest in peace Sabine!"
etc

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/breaking-sabine-schmitz-dead-nurburgring-23743044

Ascalon

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Just saw this this morning.
What a sad loss.

Not only was she a talented driver, who was devastatingly fast, she was a huge personality with comedy and entertainment talent too.

Her example will hopefully be an inspiration to attract other women into the industry, as well as the sport.

RIP, fast lady.

TangletwigsDeux

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Loved her since her first TG appearance. How sad someone full of joy and enthusiasm for her work should die so young. I hope the 3 current TG idiots stand back and they do a proper tribute to her.

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
George Segal, ‘Goldbergs’ Star and Oscar Nominee, Dies at 87

George Segal, whose long career included playing Albert “Pops” Solomon on “The Goldbergs,” and garnering an Oscar nom for supporting actor for “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf,” died Tuesday. He was 87.

Loved this guy on The Goldbergs. They often joked about not letting him play the banjo. In reality Segal used to play the banjo on TV talk shows when he was younger.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/...rgs-whos-afraid-of-virginia-woolf-1234936852/

Bigphoot2

Reaction score

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
George Segal was great, a top star in the 1970s which really suited his intelligence and humour. I never saw his later TV work, but I'm glad he didn't fade away. Really nice guy by all accounts. RIP.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
George Segal was great, a top star in the 1970s which really suited his intelligence and humour. I never saw his later TV work, but I'm glad he didn't fade away. Really nice guy by all accounts. RIP.
Yes, I really looked forward to his films. One of the greats.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
On the back of the recent death of Australian Olympic hopeful surfer Katherine Diaz, former world champion snowboarder Julie Pomagalski along with another snowboarder, in an avalanche in the Swiss Alps.

_117697023_gettyimages-56921156.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56518597

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've got a great fondness for the 1966 film The Quiller Memorandum. Based on a novel by Adam Hall (Elliston Trevor), it has a script by Harold Pinter, stars George Segal and features Alec Guinness, Max von Sydow and Senta Berger among others. It has a killer theme too, John Barry's Wednesday's Child sung by Matt Monro.

It's an uneven film but there are some great scenes and excellent cinematography and the setting – Cold War Berlin in the 1960s – is fantastic.

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
I've got a great fondness for the 1966 film The Quiller Memorandum. Based on a novel by Adam Hall (Elliston Trevor), it has a script by Harold Pinter, stars George Segal and features Alec Guinness, Max von Sydow and Senta Berger among others. It has a killer theme too, John Barry's Wednesday's Child sung by Matt Monro.

It's an uneven film but there are some great scenes and excellent cinematography and the setting – Cold War Berlin in the 1960s – is fantastic.

I've got that recorded on my Tivo thingy. I also just noticed The Duchess and the Dirtwater Fox had been on Talking Pictures. Missed it but it will probably turn up again soon.

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Well, France and Switzerland share a 350+ mile border and are both in the 'Shengen Zone' so have free movement of people without any passport control.
Despite current C19 restrictions etc it seems unlikely that there would be guards posted along the length of that (mainly mountainous) border region to prevent that movement.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Well, France and Switzerland share a 350+ mile border and are both in the 'Shengen Zone' so have free movement of people without any passport control.
Despite current C19 restrictions etc it seems unlikely that there would be guards posted along the length of that (mainly mountainous) border region to prevent that movement.

The war and all.

Trevp666

Reaction score
France and Switzerland are at war?
Blimey - they kept that quiet!

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score

No, I accept all that, but still question the wisdom of crossing borders in pursuit of fun, when most of Europe is still being warned against non-essential travel. Just because, in this case, you are allowed to do something, doesn't mean you should.

As I said, though, these comments come from a very grumpy part of me, and ought not detract from the death of a talented athlete who should have had years of natural life ahead of her.

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
She was unforgettable in Play Misty for Me as the fan who put the wind up Clint Eastwood. RIP
Jessica Walter, ‘Arrested Development’ and ‘Archer’ Star, Dies at 80

Jessica Walter, an Emmy-winning actress known for her work as the stalker in Clint Eastwood’s “Play Misty for Me,” and for the TV series “Arrested Development” and “Archer,” died Wednesday in New York. She was 80.
Walter received an Emmy nomination in 2005 for outstanding supporting actress in a comedy for playing the manipulative alcoholic Lucille Bluth in the critically adored and highly influential comedy “Arrested Development.”

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/jessica-walter-dead-arrested-development-archer-1234938246/

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Just read that! She died peacefully at home in her sleep aged 80, a good way to go. Excellent actress, impeccable comic timing too. RIP.

Trevp666

Reaction score
the wisdom of crossing borders in pursuit of fun
I'm not 100% certain on this, but I don't think there's a line drawn on the ground (or snow) to delineate exactly where the border is.
I expect it's totally possible that you could stray several miles over the border and not know it.
Tis a different thing altogether though if you have got on a coach in France with a sign on the front that proclaims "To Switzerland" or similar, lol.

Mr. Banooka

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score

Sillyhuron

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Oh, and thinking about George Segal... TERMINAL MAN, anybody?

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Just read that! She died peacefully at home in her sleep aged 80, a good way to go. Excellent actress, impeccable comic timing too. RIP.

Yeah, she was good but all this stuff about timing. Penelope Keith was better she just had crap shows.