Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Larry McMurtry, Oscar Winner for ‘Brokeback Mountain’ and Author of ‘Lonesome Dove,’ Dies at 84

Larry McMurtry, the Pulitzer Prize-winning writer whose novels, such as “The Last Picture Show,” “Terms of Endearment” and “Lonesome Dove,” were turned into award-winning films and who won an Oscar for co-adapting “Brokeback Mountain,” has died, according to The New York Times. He was 84.
A spokesperson for McMurtry’s family confirmed his death to The New York Times. No cause of death was given.
McMurtry and his frequent collaborator Diana Ossana penned “Brokeback Mountain” based on Annie Proulx’s short story, taking the Western genre in which McMurtry so frequently worked in a new direction: a gay love story. The film saw this theme welcomed by large mainstream audiences for the first time and also won the Oscar for best director and was nominated for best picture.
etc
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/larry-mcmurtry-dead-brokeback-mountain-writer-1234938867/

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Claude Callegari.
(Pictured on right)

Age 58.

I guess most people here will not have heard of him, but his "Wenger out" arguments versus Ty on Arsenal Fan TV became part of the football culture of the UK.
Controversial, because some fans thought that channel actively sought out people with eccentric personalities.
And his comment about Son was predjudiced and crass, though a simple apology would have sufficed.
He has passed in what seem to be tragic circumstances.

download.jpg

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
The most colorful figure involved in Watergate has died. Paragon of single-minded dedication or bat-shit crazy? You decide! ...
G. Gordon Liddy, Watergate mastermind, dead at 90

G. Gordon Liddy, a mastermind of the Watergate burglary and a radio talk show host after emerging from prison, died Tuesday at age 90.

His son, Thomas Liddy, confirmed the death but did not reveal the cause, other than to say it was not related to COVID-19.

Liddy, a former FBI agent and Army veteran, was convicted of conspiracy, burglary and illegal wiretapping for his role in the Watergate burglary, which led to the resignation of President Richard Nixon. He spent four years and four months in prison, including more than 100 days in solitary confinement. ...

Born in Hoboken, New Jersey, George Gordon Battle Liddy was a frail boy who grew up in a neighborhood populated mostly by German-Americans. From friends and a maid who was a German national, Liddy developed a curiosity about German leader Adolf Hitler and was inspired by listening to Hitler’s radio speeches in the 1930s. ...

As a boy Liddy decided it was critical to face his fears and overcome them. At age 11, he roasted a rat and ate it to overcome his fear of rats. “From now on, rats could fear me as they feared cats,” he wrote. ...

Liddy was head of a team of Republican operatives known as “the plumbers,” whose mission was to find leakers of information embarrassing to the Nixon administration. Among Liddy’s specialties were gathering political intelligence and organizing activities to disrupt or discredit Nixon’s Democratic opponents.

While recruiting a woman to help carry out one of his schemes, Liddy tried to convince her that no one could force him to reveal her identity or anything else against his will. To convince her, He held his hand over a flaming cigarette lighter. His hand was badly burned. The woman turned down the job.

Liddy became known for such offbeat suggestions as kidnapping war protest organizers and taking them to Mexico during the Republican National Convention; assassinating investigative journalist Jack Anderson; and firebombing the Brookings Institution ...

After the failed break-in attempt, Liddy recalled telling White House counsel John Dean, “If someone wants to shoot me, just tell me what corner to stand on, and I’ll be there, OK?” Dean reportedly responded, “I don’t think we’ve gotten there yet, Gordon.” ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/richard-...acy-burglary-101174daad34d6cdc92f850c53ff5595

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
A few months ago I gave away my unsigned John Le Carre novels to the local Oxfam bookshop (I'm getting more brutal in my book ownership as I get older) but these are my signed Le Carre first editions. And they are not going anywhere. Looks like the 50th anniversary edition of The Spy Who Came In From The Cold is now expensive to buy – and the film, with Richard Burton and Claire Bloom, is excellent.
Now that he's Irish they're worth even more! I always knew he was never really a Sassenach!

In a twist worthy of his great thrillers, John le Carré, the most English of contemporary novelists, “died an Irishman”.

In a BBC documentary to be broadcast on Saturday, le Carré’s son Nicholas says his father, bitterly disillusioned by Brexit, embraced his Irish heritage and became an Irish citizen before his death last December.

Under his real name of David Cornwell, le Carré served as a British diplomat and, secretly, as a spy for the counter-intelligence agency MI5. The novels that made him famous, after his third thriller, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold in 1963, form a penetrating anatomy of Britain’s decline as a world power.

Le Carré’s best known character, the master spy George Smiley, hero of the trilogy of novels, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (1974), The Honourable Schoolboy (1977) and Smiley’s People (1979), is one of the archetypal English characters of 20th century fiction. His quiet anguish, as he struggles with ideas of loyalty and morality, epitomise his country’s larger dilemmas. ...

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...-after-gaining-citizenship-son-says-1.4525265

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score
Claude Callegari.
(Pictured on right)

Age 58.

I guess most people here will not have heard of him, but his "Wenger out" arguments versus Ty on Arsenal Fan TV became part of the football culture of the UK.
Controversial, because some fans thought that channel actively sought out people with eccentric personalities.
And his comment about Son was predjudiced and crass, though a simple apology would have sufficed.
He has passed in what seem to be tragic circumstances.

View attachment 37446
The bloke in the middle is passing him a baton, I thought Arsenal were a football team?

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Doreen Lofthouse, who has died aged 91, made Fisherman’s Friend cough lozenges into worldwide bestsellers and became one of Britain’s richest women in the process.
Although Fisherman's Friend is seen in the UK as a cough or cold lozenge, the traditional paper packaging with its fisherman and trawler illustration was seen as fashionably retro by the young abroad. By 1994 the Germans were buying 100 million packets a year, making the firm Britain’s biggest branded food export to Germany. Second biggest market is Singapore - as Doreen (Fleetwood lass) explained “Everyone coughs in the same language.”
I must admit I hated the lozenges as a kid but went through a craze for them in my early 20s.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituar...usinesswoman-made-fishermens-friend-lozenges/

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Headline includes: 'designer turned hoarder'.

As if it was a career move?
Not so much a career move, as a career over. It's possible that she had no work leading up to the Covid lockdowns and then there was suddenly no work at all available. Also, she may not have been able to retire. All very sad.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Damn...agree, loved him, such a warm, compelling presence. Only 54. Shit on it!
Really didn't like that sitcom he was in apart from him in it. Would never have watched it otherwise. Totally blew away the rest of the cast and that's including Tamsin Greig.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Dame Cheryl Gillan, aged 68: MP for Chesham and Amersham and Welsh Secretary 2010-2012.
The only time I felt forced to "write a letter to my MP" some years ago was when my father was placed in an impossible position by non person-facing policy makers, who were simply invisible and uncontactable.
It took about 6 weeks for Dame Cheryl to bang heads together and get the situation resolved (and I got a grovelling letter from an NHS Trust Director). I'm not commenting on her politics, just personally immensely grateful for her giving a damn. RIP.

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Gone way too soon. She always brightened up Top Gear when she appeared. RIP

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/breaking-sabine-schmitz-dead-nurburgring-23743044
Skilled, talented and very fast. Such a shame she’s no longer with us.
There was banter at the time that maybe Top Gear should swap Richard Hammond for Sabine - meant as a wind-up, but everyone including me gave it some thought.
Just saw this this morning.
What a sad loss.

Not only was she a talented driver, who was devastatingly fast, she was a huge personality with comedy and entertainment talent too.

Her example will hopefully be an inspiration to attract other women into the industry, as well as the sport.

RIP, fast lady.
Loved her since her first TG appearance. How sad someone full of joy and enthusiasm for her work should die so young. I hope the 3 current TG idiots stand back and they do a proper tribute to her.
I don't suppose the producers of Top Gear read this thread, but they did indeed create a fitting tribute to the late Ms Schmitz (on BBC iPlayer):

Top Gear - a tribute to Sabine Schmitz

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
Really didn't like that sitcom he was in apart from him in it. Would never have watched it otherwise. Totally blew away the rest of the cast and that's including Tamsin Greig.
Martin Goodman was a great comedy creation, but Ritter was such a fine actor all round. He was brilliant as the repressed but ambitious Bobby Waterhouse in the BBC series The Game - which I thought was good, but maybe not quite at the le Carré level it clearly aspired to (or, at least, that it was bound to be compared to) - aside, that is, from Ritter.

I can't help thinking he would also have made a good Kenneth Williams.

Such a great shame. Many great characters, that will now never happen.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I don't suppose the producers of Top Gear read this thread, but they did indeed create a fitting tribute to the late Ms Schmitz (on BBC iPlayer):

Top Gear - a tribute to Sabine Schmitz
There was a great clip in the show were Sabine was taking a fighter pilot around a track, she had to stop because he was on the verge of throwing up :hahazebs:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Impossible not to see it betokening the end, or near-end, of an era.

He was a distinguished wartime sailor and a loyal servant to the nation.

Great sadness, too, for Her Majesty, the Queen, who has now lost her companion of over seventy years.

May he rest in peace.