Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
The Queen sent her condolences on the death of Martin McGuinness so it is only appropriate that this gesture should be honoured on the occasion of Prince Philip's death.

May he Rest In Peace.

Mary Lou McDonald @MaryLouMcDonald

Sincere condolences to Queen Elizabeth and family on the death of her husband Prince Phillip. Sympathies to those of a British identity on our island, for whom his death will be felt as a great loss. Ar dheis De go raibh a anam dilis.

1:03 PM · Apr 9, 2021·Twitter for Android

Michelle O’Neill @moneillsf

As Deputy First Minister I wish to extend my sincere condolences to Queen Elizabeth and her family on the death of her husband Prince Phillip.

12:38 PM · Apr 9, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/moneillsf/status/1380485205006368779/retweets

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Breaking news. Not much detail at this point.
Britain's Prince Philip dies at age 99
https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/News/britains-prince-philip-dies-age-99/story?id=53949231
109-1090261_baby-crying-png-picture-crying-baby.png.jpeg

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
DMX DEAD AT 50

4/9/2021 9:27 AM PT

DMX has died -- a week after suffering an overdose ... TMZ has learned.

TMZ broke the story ... X had virtually no brain function after he was deprived of oxygen for nearly 30 minutes following his OD. Brain function never returned, and by Thursday his organs began failing while he remained on life support in a New York hospital.

Many people in X's family were at the hospital over the last week, including his mom, fiancee and many of his kids.

A rep for his family tells TMZ, "We are deeply saddened to announce today that our loved one, DMX, birth name of Earl Simmons, passed away at 50-years-old at White Plains Hospital with his family by his side after being placed on life support for the past few days. Earl was a warrior who fought till the very end."

https://www.tmz.com/2021/04/09/dmx-dead-dies-overdose-od-rapper/

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
DMX DEAD AT 50

4/9/2021 9:27 AM PT

DMX has died -- a week after suffering an overdose ... TMZ has learned.

TMZ broke the story ... X had virtually no brain function after he was deprived of oxygen for nearly 30 minutes following his OD. Brain function never returned, and by Thursday his organs began failing while he remained on life support in a New York hospital.

Many people in X's family were at the hospital over the last week, including his mom, fiancee and many of his kids.

A rep for his family tells TMZ, "We are deeply saddened to announce today that our loved one, DMX, birth name of Earl Simmons, passed away at 50-years-old at White Plains Hospital with his family by his side after being placed on life support for the past few days. Earl was a warrior who fought till the very end."

https://www.tmz.com/2021/04/09/dmx-dead-dies-overdose-od-rapper/

His mother abused him as a child and he never really got over it, lost himself in drugs to cope even as he became hugely successful. It's a very sad story. RIP.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Man, that's an awful way to go. She was a bit of a diva on the show, but had a heart of gold, really. RIP.
I seem to recall that her favourite phrase was 'oh my God', which she said a LOT.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
She was certainly a big character for such a small person.
I mean, she might have been about as sharp as brick, but she was always entertaining.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I seem to recall that her favourite phrase was 'oh my God', which she said a LOT.

Yeah, she was an eccentric in a way that reality TV loves. I think we know now that eccentricity can often mean some serious problems, which has made me more of a RTV sceptic than I was when I was watching BB. It's very troubling.

Trevp666

Reaction score
For those that are unfamiliar with her oeuvre here is a fine compilation of her, er.....'best bits'
(and I'm fairly certain she isn't going to 'suck arseholes')

Last edited:

Trevp666

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that a lot of it was her schtick though and she played up to that image.
I remember she had her own series for a little while and when she didn't have other people to bounce off she seemed much more 'normal'.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that a lot of it was her schtick though and she played up to that image.
I remember she had her own series for a little while and when she didn't have other people to bounce off she seemed much more 'normal'.

It was called Princess Nikki, I watched it and she was quite sweet in it.

Stillill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
She was a lovely person. She lived in Northwood,Middlesex and I used to see and chat to her regularly while I was on my post delivery. I never watched Big Brother so can’t comment on her “performance “ on that.
I once saw her crying her eyes out just sitting on a bench on her own. I had to stop and talk to her, she told me about all of her problems. I was so reluctant to walk away but I’m no counsellor. She was a deeply troubled person. Very sad.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Yeah, she was an eccentric in a way that reality TV loves. I think we know now that eccentricity can often mean some serious problems, which has made me more of a RTV sceptic than I was when I was watching BB. It's very troubling.

If she was from the upper classes she'd just be classed as eccentric. The way RTV molds vulnerable people is pretty shocking and when that is withdrawn you get the crash.

I always thought that when RTV became a thing it was like the Roman games.

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score
If she was from the upper classes she'd just be classed as eccentric. The way RTV molds vulnerable people is pretty shocking and when that is withdrawn you get the crash.

I always thought that when RTV became a thing it was like the Roman games.

It's more like paying your ha'penny to torment the inmates in Bedlam.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Richard Rush, cult film director, dies aged 91:
Obit

Best known for the ludicrously offensive instigator of the cop buddy movie, Freebie and the Bean, and the terrific, wild The Stunt Man which asked the question, what if God is a film director, and what if he were Peter O'Toole? "Did you know King Kong the First was three feet six inches tall? He only came up to Fay Wray's belly button!"

Also made some cool 60s movies like Psych-Out ("Warren's freaking out at the gallery!") and the excellent student uprising film Getting Straight. Oh, and The Color of Night, the erotic thriller that is unintentionally hilarious and ended his career, alas. RIP, there will never be another.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Saw Freebie and the Bean when it came out and it seems to have vanished. Still remember the car chase though

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
WTF! I was just a moment ago looking at something on Youtube (old BB footage) which had her in it.
Complete coincidence.
A bit sad, she was still young.
Yes, me and all - just last week, watching clips of the season with her and Pete in because Pete was my favourite ever contestant.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Baroness Shirley Williams dies.
originally a Labour MP she became disillusioned and was one of the gang of 4 who formed the SDP, later to become a Liberal Peer.
A great Lady of Parliament who earned respect throughout both houses.
Saw this fabulous picture of her as Education Minister, this morning:

https://www.ft.com/content/99044fa4-8480-4a75-bb46-b90e37dc92af

If only politicians today were like this.

Her mum was Vera Brittain, writer of the brilliant Testament of Youth, and friend of Winifred Holtby, who wrote South Riding.