• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Saw this fabulous picture of her as Education Minister, this morning:
After reading the preceding post I thought you were still talking about Nikki Grahame.
I thought "I don't remember her doing that".

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Bernie Madoff - widely hated architect of the biggest fraud in Wall Street history - has died in prison at age 82.
Ponzi schemer Bernie Madoff dies in prison at 82

Bernard Madoff, the infamous architect of an epic securities swindle that burned thousands of investors, outfoxed regulators and earned him a 150-year prison term, died behind bars early Wednesday. He was 82.

Madoff’s death at the Federal Medical Center in Butner, North Carolina, was confirmed by his lawyer and the Bureau of Prisons. ...

His death was due to natural causes, a person familiar with the matter told The Associated Press. ...

For decades, Madoff enjoyed an image as a self-made financial guru whose Midas touch defied market fluctuations. ...

But his investment advisory business was exposed in 2008 as a Ponzi scheme that wiped out people’s fortunes and ruined charities. He became so hated he wore a bulletproof vest to court.

The fraud was believed to be the largest in Wall Street’s history. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/bernie-madoff-dead-9d9bd8065708384e0bf0c840bd1ae711

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Peaky Blinders and Harry Potter actress Helen McCrory has died of cancer aged 52, her husband has confirmed.

Her Husband, Damian Lewis, the actor, has stated
I'm heartbroken to announce that after an heroic battle with cancer, the beautiful and mighty woman that is Helen McCrory has died peacefully at home, surrounded by a wave of love from family and friends.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Peaky Blinders and Harry Potter actress Helen McCrory has died of cancer aged 52, her husband has confirmed.

Her Husband, Damian Lewis, the actor, has stated
I'm heartbroken to announce that after an heroic battle with cancer, the beautiful and mighty woman that is Helen McCrory has died peacefully at home, surrounded by a wave of love from family and friends.
One of those mercurial actors. She would have been a great Vulcan.

Not saying it's the cause of her death but why do period shows have to have so much smoking???

Mad Men, The Serpent, Peaky Blinders...

Yes, we get that people smoked back then but why does every shot have to have people smoking? Also, I get actors smoke a lot because of weight - let's not encourage it.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
One of those mercurial actors. She would have been a great Vulcan.

Not saying it's the cause of her death but why do period shows have to have so much smoking???

Mad Men, The Serpent, Peaky Blinders...

Yes, we get that people smoked back then but why does every shot have to have people smoking? Also, I get actors smoke a lot because of weight - let's not encourage it.
Pretty much everyone used to smoke, from kids to geriatrics back in the day.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yeah, but we are not idiots we get that.

I'm sure manscaping wasn't a thing back then but we don't see Father Brown's Pubes do we?
The thing is, writers/producers like to go for the gritty realism of the period, hence we get what looks like the old cannon cinema when i was a kid where you end up passively smokung 20 rothmans whilst watching 'the aristocats' on a saturday afternoon.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
The thing is, writers/producers like to go for the gritty realism of the period, hence we get what looks like the old cannon cinema when i was a kid where you end up passively smokung 20 rothmans whilst watching 'the aristocats' on a saturday afternoon.
To be honest, it must have made the film better. I saw it as a kid and thought it was crap.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The co-founder of Adobe who helped develop PDF has died.

Charles Geschke, the co-founder of the software company Adobe who helped develop the Portable Document Format, or PDF, has died at the age of 81.
Geschke set up Adobe in 1982, giving the world the ubiquitous PDF software, among many other audio-visual innovations.
He made headlines 10 years later when he was kidnapped at gunpoint and held for ransom before being released unhurt after a four-day ordeal.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56791873

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Former U.S Vice President Walter Modale has died:

Walter Mondale, former US vice-president who served under Jimmy Carter, dies aged 93
Former US vice-president Walter Mondale, a Democrat who lost a presidential election to Ronald Reagan in a landslide after bluntly telling voters to expect a tax increase if he won, has died aged 93.

Key points:
  • Mr Mondale served Minnesota as and attorney-general and US senator
  • He followed the trail blazed by his political mentor, Hubert H Humphrey, to the vice-presidency, serving under Jimmy Carter from 1977 to 1981
  • Mr Mondale made history by picking the first female running mate on a major party ticket
Mr Mondale’s family said he died on Monday (local time) in Minneapolis.

Mr Mondale served Minnesota as attorney-general and a US senator, and followed the trail blazed by his political mentor, Hubert H Humphrey, to the vice-presidency, serving under Jimmy Carter from 1977 to 1981.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-20/walter-mondale-dies-aged-93/100081046

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Jim Steinman, Songwriter for Meat Loaf, Celine Dion and More, Dies at 73

Jim Steinman, the composer, lyricist and record producer who worked with artists like Meat Loaf, Celine Dion, Bonnie Tyler and more, died Monday, the Connecticut state medical examiner confirmed to Variety. He was 73.
Steinman’s work appeared in a multitude of genres, such as adult contemporary, rock, dance and pop, in addition to musical theater and film scores.
etc
https://variety.com/2021/music/news/jim-steinman-dead-meat-loaf-celine-dion-1234955739/

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Legendary and influential burlesque star Tempest Storm has passed away at 93.
Burlesque icon Tempest Storm dies at 93 in Las Vegas home

The burlesque community has lost one of its darlings. Tempest Storm, born Annie Blanche Banks in 1928, passed away at her Las Vegas home Tuesday evening.

She was 93. ...

She was known widely as “The Queen of Exotic Dancers.” The release says she had links to the King of Rock & Roll, Elvis Presley, and President John F. Kennedy.

Tempest will be buried in Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery in Los Angeles. Funds are being raised for it, and you can donate here. They say they’re working to have her buried by costar Bettie Page and longtime friend Dixie Evans.
FULL STORY: https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local-news/burlesque-icon-tempest-storm-dies-at-93-in-las-vegas-home/

A More Detailed Biography:
Tempest Storm, legendary burlesque star, dies at 93
https://www.reviewjournal.com/enter...-legendary-burlesque-star-dies-at-93-2334594/

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Legendary and influential burlesque star Tempest Storm has passed away at 93.

FULL STORY: https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local-news/burlesque-icon-tempest-storm-dies-at-93-in-las-vegas-home/

A More Detailed Biography:
Tempest Storm, legendary burlesque star, dies at 93
https://www.reviewjournal.com/enter...-legendary-burlesque-star-dies-at-93-2334594/
"They say they’re working to have her buried by costar Bettie Page and longtime friend Dixie Evans."
I think this should say, 'buried next to' rather than 'buried by', unless they are planning to resurrect them both and have them conduct the funeral.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Film director Monte Hellman has passed at the age of 91. His reputation depends on a very small body of work. Two Lane Blacktop stands out and there were the two "existential" westerns, made for Corman with Jack Nicholson.

The Guardian points out that Cockfighter, 1974 was pulled from exhibition in the UK, as recently as 2006. A print - of sorts - is available for viewing, if that is the word, on Youtube! It features Warren Oates, who was, iirc, the only professional actor in Blacktop.

Edit. A Spanish-dubbed print of Cockfighter is also on Youtube in much higher quality.

RIP. :oops:

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Weird to think that James Taylor, of all people, outlived his co-stars and director of Two-Lane Blacktop. First time I saw it, I thought it was all serious and existential, but on watching it again a couple of years ago, I realised it's actually really funny! Warren Oates was so great.

And Cockfighter, where the marketing department thought up the spoof ad copy "He came to town with his cock in his hand and what he did with it was illegal in 49 states!"

Anyway, RIP Mr Hellman, you deserved better chances, but what you did complete was enough for a loyal cult following.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Les was only 65, which is no age at all.
As the Bay City Rollers were popular when I was only about 7 or 8 I felt that he was much older.
I guess they must have been a bunch of very young lads at the time.
And as far as I can recall, I don't think my mum ever sewed any tartan onto the turn-ups of my trousers though.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Les was only 65, which is no age at all.
As the Bay City Rollers were popular when I was only about 7 or 8 I felt that he was much older.
I guess they must have been a bunch of very young lads at the time.
And as far as I can recall, I don't think my mum ever sewed any tartan onto the turn-ups of my trousers though.
Alan Longmuir would have been 73 this year, perhaps Les was the baby of the group?

Sillyhuron

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
My wife's warbling away to "Saturday Night" as I speak. RIP.

At least over here, boys had to hate them or say they were all gay or something or the other kids would beat you up. Real Men listened to Kiss. :rasp:

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I just remember that documentary from about 20 years ago of Les trying to trace his missing money. Didn't find it. He should have died a millionaire, but just got totally screwed over, as the whole band did. Can't get that thought out of my head when I hear their music, which was mostly cheery and fun. Not a cheery and fun story. RIP.

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Reaction score
Shock G, ‘Humpty Hump’ of Digital Underground, Dies at 57

Shock G, producer and frontman of the 1990s hip-hop group Digital Underground and widely known for his alter-ego “Humpty Hump,” has died, according to a statement from his family. The artist, whose real name was Gregory Jacobs, was 57; no cause of death has been confirmed.

The group also appeared in that weird Dan Akroyd movie:

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
John Richards - the ex-journalist who founded the Apostrophe Protection Society and campaigned for proper grammar - has passed away at the age of 97.
Tribute paid to Boston man and founder of internationally famous Apostrophe Protection Society following his death, aged 97

The family of a Boston man who achieved international fame as a grammatical crusader have paid tribute to his memory following his death. ...

John Richards died peacefully in hospital with his children at his bedside on March 30 following a brief illness, aged 97.

Mr Richards will be remembered by many, in this country and beyond, for founding the Apostrophe Protection Society. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.bostonstandard.co.uk/ne...n-society-following-his-death-aged-97-3208444