Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I've got a picture of his daughter.

She is now apparently a famous singer.

I'm not very familiar with her work though.

sia.png

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Micheal Collins has passed away, only Buzz Aldrin remains from the Apollo 11 crew. RIP
Apollo 11 astronaut Michael Collins dies at 90
Published5 minutes ago

Michael Collins - one of the three crew members of the first manned mission to the Moon, Apollo 11 in 1969 - has died aged 90, his family say.
He died on Wednesday after "a valiant battle with cancer. He spent his final days peacefully, with his family by his side".
Collins had stayed in lunar orbit as his colleagues Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walked on the Moon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56921562

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
So sad about Collins, especially right as we're starting to expand the scope of space exploration again. I am, however, proud to say I once shook Aldrin's hand. Maybe someday before I die I can pass that handshake on to some young person who finds it difficult to believe the same hand touched a lunar pioneer.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
So sad about Collins, especially right as we're starting to expand the scope of space exploration again. I am, however, proud to say I once shook Aldrin's hand. Maybe someday before I die I can pass that handshake on to some young person who finds it difficult to believe the same hand touched a lunar pioneer.
I shook Aldrin's hand too!
You and me, we're practically cousins!

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Micheal Collins has passed away, only Buzz Aldrin remains from the Apollo 11 crew. RIP

In some ways I recall finding Collins the most interesting of the Apollo 11 crew members in 1969.

Before the Apollo 11 mission launched there had been a lot of speculation and concern about Collins' situation, because once Armstrong and Aldrin left orbit to land on the moon he would be the 'most alone' person in history - i.e., the individual who was farther away from any other human than any other human had ever been.

At the time it was widely reported that NASA had examined this issue as a potential risk - both to Collins and to the overall mission. Collins said he wasn't concerned owing to two factors. First, there were plenty of tasks to keep him occupied. Second, as Command Module pilot he had primary responsibility for recovering the other two and getting all of them safely back to earth.

Afterwards Collins described being ' the most alone' as a positive experience.

Collins was the person who designed the Apollo 11 mission patch (the eagle landing on the moon) - the most popular mission patch of all time.

R.I.P.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
In some ways I recall finding Collins the most interesting of the Apollo 11 crew members in 1969.

Before the Apollo 11 mission launched there had been a lot of speculation and concern about Collins' situation, because once Armstrong and Aldrin left orbit to land on the moon he would be the 'most alone' person in history - i.e., the individual who was farther away from any other human than any other human had ever been.

At the time it was widely reported that NASA had examined this issue as a potential risk - both to Collins and to the overall mission. Collins said he wasn't concerned owing to two factors. First, there were plenty of tasks to keep him occupied. Second, as Command Module pilot he had primary responsibility for recovering the other two and getting all of them safely back to earth.

Afterwards Collins described being ' the most alone' as a positive experience.

Collins was the person who designed the Apollo 11 mission patch (the eagle landing on the moon) - the most popular mission patch of all time.

R.I.P.
He was clearly a mentally strong individual. A real pro.

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
He couldn't stop laughing, but now he has for real. :(
------------------
Juan Joya Borja, the 'Spanish Laughing Guy' Meme, Has Died
He was known as ‘The Giggles’ in his native Spain, and his legacy is that of a joy-spreading meme.

Matthew Gault
By Matthew Gault
April 28, 2021, 11:48pm

Comedian and T.V. personality Juan Joya Borja, best known in America as the “Spanish Laughing Guy,” has died. Borja was 65 years old and died after what Spanish newspapers described as a “long illness.” He’d been hospitalized in 2020.

Known as El Ristas or “The Giggles” because of his distinct laugh, Borja rose to prominence in his native Spain after being featured on a variety show called Ratones Coloraos. During an interview with host Jesus Quintero, Rojas was telling a funny story about throwing dishes into the ocean while working a job as a young man. Borja found his own story so funny that he could barely get through it between fits of laughter.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/akgdaj/juan-joya-borja-the-spanish-laughing-guy-meme-has-died

The original funny interview:

One of the many meme versions of the interview.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

I've never met Aldrin, however I do have from him some metal fragments that were a part of both the Eagle and the Command Module piloted by Collins. They are some of my most admired possessions.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
As NASA said:

''We mourn the passing of Apollo 11 astronaut Michael Collins, who piloted humanity’s first voyage to the surface of another world. ''

What an epitaph.
It a great epitaph, although i would question NASAs use of the words 'another world' in relation to the moon.

Trevp666

Reaction score
He sold it to me.
I bet he sold so much 'metal fragments' that you could build 3 command modules out of them
Sounds like Collins had an eye for a money-making scam. lol.

Trevp666

Reaction score
I'd hazard a guess that all NASA astronauts of the period had 'side hustles' going involving selling bits of metal etc and saying they were bits from lunar craft.

Much like people who sell 'pieces of Wembley Stadium turf'.
Apparently there was so much 'Wembley Stadium turf' sold when it got rebuilt that you could have laid 12 football pitches with it.
Probably.

Ascalon

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
RIP M Collins.

I think Michael Collins is one of the greatest examples of a team player. Without him, the mission could not have succeeded, and yet, he was the one who did not get the limelight. He knew it, he took it on and owned anyway.

He was a great example of the kind of team contribution that was made throughout the organisation.

Fair play.

In much the same way, legend has it that lLdrin was favoured as the commander of the mission, and it was something of a surprise when Armstrong was selected. Aldrin was seen as the better all rounder, while Armstrong was stronger in command.

Aldrin took it on the chin and carried on.

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
It a great epitaph, although i would question NASAs use of the words 'another world' in relation to the moon.
"World" is an interesting word. While we tend to think of it as synonymous with "planet", it (or its equivalent in other languages) was once used refer to what we now would call the Universe, albeit a universe with Earth at the center - or near the bottom with Hell below - and with the sky and Heaven above. Because it was also used to refer to our earthly existence - the most tangible part of the greater world - it came to mean something like "planet" in the modern sense as the Copernican theory took hold.

So I have no problem with referring to the Moon as a world - or even as a planet, which it was in the classical system.

In much the same way, legend has it that lLdrin was favoured as the commander of the mission, and it was something of a surprise when Armstrong was selected. Aldrin was seen as the better all rounder, while Armstrong was stronger in command.

I remember reading in the 1960s that Armstrong was chosen in part because he was a civilian at the time, and therefore would not contribute to bragging rights for any branch of the service.

skinny

TIT
Reaction score
Armstrong referred to it as a "heavenly body". I was surprised by that.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Actress Olympia Dukakis has died at the age of 89.

US actress Olympia Dukakis, who won an Oscar for her role in the 1987 romantic comedy Moonstuck, has died aged 89, her family have announced.

Her brother wrote she was "at peace" after suffering ill health.

Dukakis had a long and distinguished career in theatre, both as a performer and as a director.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56957221

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Actress Olympia Dukakis has died at the age of 89.

US actress Olympia Dukakis, who won an Oscar for her role in the 1987 romantic comedy Moonstuck, has died aged 89, her family have announced.

Her brother wrote she was "at peace" after suffering ill health.

Dukakis had a long and distinguished career in theatre, both as a performer and as a director.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56957221
109-1090261_baby-crying-png-picture-crying-baby.png.jpeg