• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Billie Hayes, the actress who was perhaps best known for her role as Witchiepoo in the the children's classic H.R. PufStuf has died. Another part of my childhood gone. I would watch this every weekend. I can even recall seeing the Pufnstuff movie at the cinema.

witchiepoo.jpg

Billie Hayes, Actress Who Played Witchiepoo in H.R. Pufnstuf, Dead at 96
Billie Hayes (née Brosch), known for playing Witchiepoo in the beloved 1969 children's show H.R. Pufnstuf, has died. She was 96.
The veteran actress died Thursday of natural causes at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, according to Deadline. Her family announced the news of her death.
She was best known for her performance on H.R. Pufnstuf, which ran for 17 episodes on NBC in 1969, as well as the 1970 feature adaptation, Pufnstuf.
Hayes entertained audiences with a slapstick, vaudeville style performance of Witchiepoo, the villainous witch who was constantly trying to steal the magical Freddy the Flute.
Hayes revived the role of Witchiepoo in Sid and Marty Krofft's other shows, The Banana Splits Adventure Hour and Lidsville, and again on The Paul Lynde Halloween Special in 1976.
https://people.com/tv/billie-hayes-dead-actress-witchiepoo-hr-pufnstuf/

Last edited:

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Billie Hayes, the actress who was perhaps best known for her role as Witchiepoo in the the children's classic H.R. PufStuf has died. Another part of my childhood gone. I would watch this every weekend. I can even recall seeing the Pufnstuff movie at the cinema.

View attachment 38873

I could never wrap my head around that.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

View attachment 38873

She has flown beyond the sunset.

hrpufn.jpg

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
Another one of our 80s heroes dead at 59. Bone marrow cancer.
--------
BREAKING Madonna protégé and Levi's launderette model Nick Kamen dead at 59: Good friends Boy George and Susie Cave lead tributes to the star
  • The Essex-born model, born Ivor Neville Kamen, was best known for his 1986 hit Each Time You Break My Heart and the iconic 1985 Levi's 501 commercial
  • His friend Boy George confirmed the news on Instagram on Wednesday, writing: 'R.I.P to the most beautiful and sweetest man Nick Kamen!'
  • After appearing in the Levi's advert aged 18, Madonna spotted Nick and reached out to collaborate on his hit single, which she wrote and cameo-ed on
  • In a BBC radio interview in 1986, the songstress said she was inspired by Kamen's 'charisma' and 'beautiful voice', which led to the collaboration
  • His music career spanned four LPs between 1987 and 1992
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...-g-Levis-model-Nick-Kamen-passes-away-59.html

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Now there was a good looking man. Singing voice like a 5 year old's, mind, but he did look stylish in the videos. Sad way to leave us. RIP.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
--------
BREAKING Madonna protégé and Levi's launderette model Nick Kamen dead at 59: Good friends Boy George and Susie Cave lead tributes to the star
  • The Essex-born model, born Ivor Neville Kamen, was best known for his 1986 hit Each Time You Break My Heart and the iconic 1985 Levi's 501 commercial
  • His friend Boy George confirmed the news on Instagram on Wednesday, writing: 'R.I.P to the most beautiful and sweetest man Nick Kamen!'
  • After appearing in the Levi's advert aged 18, Madonna spotted Nick and reached out to collaborate on his hit single, which she wrote and cameo-ed on
  • In a BBC radio interview in 1986, the songstress said she was inspired by Kamen's 'charisma' and 'beautiful voice', which led to the collaboration
  • His music career spanned four LPs between 1987 and 1992
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...-g-Levis-model-Nick-Kamen-passes-away-59.html
Just been mentioned on our local (Anglia) news. Local boy being from Harlow. Such a comparatively young age to pass away.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Now there was a good looking man. Singing voice like a 5 year old's, mind, but he did look stylish in the videos. Sad way to leave us. RIP.
He looked a little bit Elvis-like. Can't say I remember any of his music, but he was probably one of the most famous male models.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
He looked a little bit Elvis-like. Can't say I remember any of his music, but he was probably one of the most famous male models.
He only really had one big hit in the UK, Each Time You Break My Heart, but he was big in Europe for a couple of years.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score

View attachment 38873

Hard to think of a more obscure long-forgotten TV character from my chilhood that still evoked sadness when I heard that she had gone.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Huh. Had no idea he was even English let alone an Essex lad. Assumed he was American.

Have they released the cause of death? Drugs I (perhaps wrongly) assume?
When youngish celebs die and we're not told the cause right away I think in terms of suicide or drugs. I've read that Mr Kamen had bone cancer, very sad.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
--------

And absolutely nothing to do with the fact he was drop-dead gorgeous, no sir, no way...

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Unnecessary to point that out really, that advert was massive, a cultural impact at the time. I'm sure he had no idea how big that advert was going to be.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Unnecessary to point that out really, that advert was massive, a cultural impact at the time. I'm sure he had no idea how big that advert was going to be.
Apparently the 501 advert started the whole boxer shorts thing in the UK, it was just Y fronts before that.

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Apparently the 501 advert started the whole boxer shorts thing in the UK, it was just Y fronts before that.
Cheap cotton boxers were awful at the time when I lost my virginity/time of the advert. Y fronts were even worse.

I think they've sorted out underpants now.