Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Tawny Kitaen, an object of lust of many an 80s rock-fan, has departed at the age of just 59.

You'll likely recognise her from her appearances draped over cars, beds and sofas in Whitesnake videos or her role in Bachelor Party.

Rest in peace.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Wow, I know she had a lot of problems, but you remember her when she was young and beautiful, don't you? A sad story, but I did like the anecdote that when she was married to David Coverdale, he came home one day to find her in bed with another man. He was furious and demanded the man step outside - until he realised this bloke was a lot bigger than he was, so he settled for a cup of tea instead.

Crystal Heart is mindbogglingly ridiculous, so Tawny's left us that, as well as S&M favourite The Perils of Gwendoline. RIP, sorry it ended up this way.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Norman Lloyd, the actor/producer/director who has worked with some of the most legendary filmmakers in the movies has passed away at 106

Norman Lloyd, Actor in ‘St. Elsewhere’ and Hitchcock’s ‘Saboteur,’ Dies at 106​

Actor, producer and director Norman Lloyd, best known for his title role in Hitchcock’s “Saboteur” and as Dr. Daniel Auschlander on NBC’s “St. Elsewhere” and famously associated with Orson Welles’ Mercury Theater, died Tuesday at his home in Los Angeles. He was 106.
His friend, producer Dean Hargrove, confirmed his death and said “His third act was really the best time of his life,” referring to the many historical Hollywood retrospectives and events Lloyd had participated in over the past few decades. Lloyd often said his secret to his long and mostly illness-free life was “avoiding disagreeable people,” Hargrove recounted.
https://variety.com/2021/film/people-news/norman-lloyd-dead-st-elsewhere-saboteur-1234970920/

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Lloyd Price has died at the age of 88. Along with Fats Domino he introduced the 'New Orleans Sound' into pop music of the 1950s and helped open the door for historically African-American music (R&B, blues, etc.) to infuse pop and generate the foundations of rock.
Rock music pioneer Lloyd Price of 'Stagger Lee' fame dies at 88

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer Lloyd Price, whose hits included "Stagger Lee" and "Lawdy Miss Clawdy," has died at the age of 88, his longtime manager confirmed to CNN.

Price died May 3 from "complications from diabetes," according to Tom Trapani, his manager of 25 years. ...

Price was called "Mr. Personality" for his smash recording of "Personality" and was known for adapting the New Orleans sound starting in the 1950s.

He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/09/ente...price-singer-stagger-lee-dies-trnd/index.html

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Norman Lloyd, the actor/producer/director who has worked with some of the most legendary filmmakers in the movies has passed away at 106

https://variety.com/2021/film/people-news/norman-lloyd-dead-st-elsewhere-saboteur-1234970920/

RIP. If you love a good showbiz anecdote, especially from the Golden Age, he's your man. He also had a story about Alfred Hitchcock being a really decent chap, which you don't hear about much now (Hitch ensured Lloyd was able to work on his TV show during the Blacklist, thus securing Lloyd's income which would not have been the case otherwise).

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Always a welcome presence in movies. RIP

Charles Grodin, Deliciously Droll Actor, Dies at 86​

"Low key but high strung," as he described himself, he starred in 'The Heartbreak Kid,' 'Midnight Run' and 'Heaven Can Wait.'

BY
DUANE BYRGE, MIKE BARNES
MAY 18, 2021 10:58AM

Actor Charles Grodin, who charmed audiences with his droll, understated and awkward humor in such films as The Heartbreak Kid, Midnight Run and the Beethoven movies, has died. He was 86.
Grodin died Tuesday of bone marrow cancer at his home in Wilton, Connecticut, his son, Nicholas, told The New York Times.

Grodin invigorated Neil Simon’s Seems Like Old Times (1980) when he portrayed an ambitious D.A. whose wife (Goldie Hawn) and life are distracted and disrupted when her ex-husband (Chevy Chase) plops into their straight-laced marriage.

On the flip side, the Pittsburgh native brought a duplicitous guile to a positive character in Sunburn (1979), playing an insurance investigator who poses as a tourist while investigating a murder.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...eliciously-droll-actor-dies-at-86-1234955192/

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Just found out about this. Many fans of bad films will miss him.

Neil Connery, brother of Sir Sean, dies after battle with illness
Neil Connery, who starred in the Sixties James Bond spoof Operation Kid Brother (1967), died on 10 May.
His death was first shared on Facebook by a friend of Mr Connery, Steve Begg, who paid tribute saying: “My good friend and Edinburgh drinking buddy Neil Connery passed away early this morning I’m sad to report.
"He considered me a lacklustre challenge when it came to the drinking stakes but I considered him with respect. He looked and sounded like his big bro so going out with him was always interesting to say the leasht. Mish you Neil.”

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....r-sean-dies-after-battle-with-illness-3234247

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Charles Grodin - endlessly adaptable actor and master of understated comedy and satire - has died at the age of 86. Over the decades he was perhaps the actor I saw other actors most frequently cite when asked whose skills they most admired. IMHO there's no higher praise. RIP ...
Charles Grodin, ‘Midnight Run,’ ‘Heartbreak Kid,’ star, dies

Charles Grodin, the droll, offbeat actor and writer who scored as a caddish newlywed in “The Heartbreak Kid” and later had roles ranging from Robert De Niro’s counterpart in the comic thriller “Midnight Run” to the bedeviled father in the “Beethoven” comedies, has died. He was 86.

Grodin died Tuesday in Wilton, Connecticut, from bone marrow cancer, his son, Nicholas Grodin, said.

Known for his dead-pan style and everyday looks, Grodin also appeared in “Dave,” “The Woman in Red,” “Rosemary’s Baby” and “Heaven Can Wait.” On Broadway, he starred with Ellen Burstyn in the long-running 1970s comedy “Same Time, Next Year,” and he found many other outlets for his talents.

With bone-dry understatement, Grodin could steal entire scenes with just a look. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/charles-...ntertainment-c3764020a1744ce2918f7be3e99a8ea9

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I loved Grodin in the very odd Steve Martin film The Lonely Guy. He has a long discussion about the price of haircuts that would be meaningless in the hands of another, but was beautifully performed.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
And Grodin was fantastic in The Great Muppet Caper, in some ways Miss Piggy was his greatest leading lady.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
I didn't see a mention for Barry Mason, the songwriter and lyricist who died on April 16th (aged 85) so I'm doing this now (borrowing heavily from the Obit in the Daily Telegraph). A man you probably never heard of but I reckon you'll know one of his songs. Mason collaborated with Les Reed and wrote three hits in a single rainy Sunday in 1967 - The Last Waltz crooned by Engelbert Humperdinck (I wondered should I go or should I stay/ The band has only one more song to play) toppled Scott McKenzie's hippie anthem San Fransisco off the No.1 slot. Everybody Knows (Dave Clark Five) and I'm Coming Home ,Winter World of Love and Les Bicyclettes de Belsize followed. There was also a little ditty for Tom Jones called Delilah (I saw the light on the night that I passed by her window/ I saw the flickering shadows on love on her blind). But for me the best Mason song was recorded by Eddison Lighthouse in 1970 because I remember watching .. um.. Andy Kershaw (I think) looking 'tired' backstage at a Festival sitting on the grass with Ozzy Osbourne, asking him about early music influences/Black Sabbath. Ozzy replied " listen, if I could have written (picks up an acoustic guitar and sings) and love grows where my Rosemary goes, I f*cking would have !" Praise indeed. RIP.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Robert Marchand dies at the age of 109.

Okay, not a household name but he held 100km cycling records for the 100-105 and 106-plus age groups! In addition to that the diminutive Marchand had lived a full and adventurous life, "working as a gym instructor for the Paris fire brigade in the 1930s and a prisoner-of-war during World War II. He then moved to Venezuela, where he was a lorry driver and sugarcane planter before heading to Canada to work as a lumberjack."

Now that's a life!

https://road.cc/content/news/centenarian-cycling-record-holder-dies-aged-109-283575

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Robert Marchand dies at the age of 109.

Okay, not a household name but he held 100km cycling records for the 100-105 and 106-plus age groups! In addition to that the diminutive Marchand had lived a full and adventurous life, "working as a gym instructor for the Paris fire brigade in the 1930s and a prisoner-of-war during World War II. He then moved to Venezuela, where he was a lorry driver and sugarcane planter before heading to Canada to work as a lumberjack."

Now that's a life!

https://road.cc/content/news/centenarian-cycling-record-holder-dies-aged-109-283575

I've done 300km+ rides with people in their 70'sand 80's. One time rode with one guy for about 50km who was older than he said, a lot older - a machine. The heat was terrible but he stopped off with me when I tended to people who were not fit enough or got sunstroke at the side of the road. Idiots who signed up but were not up for it.

He did get bored and rode off though. 70-80 at least was struggling but legs of iron.

"Shut up legs!"

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Controversial ex Formula 1 boss Max Mosley has died.

"Ex-British racing driver Max Mosley, who went on to run motorsport's world governing body the FIA and become a privacy campaigner, has died aged 81.

His death was confirmed by ex-Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone.

Mr Mosley served three terms as president of the FIA from 1993 to 2009.

He also campaigned for tighter press regulation after winning £60,000 damages from the News of the World when it wrongly published a story alleging he had attended a Nazi-themed orgy."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57232681

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Son of Oswald Mosley.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This is quite parochial but as a longtime (ie, lifetime) fan of Somerset County Cricket Club (I've been a fan since the early 1970s, my father has followed them since the early 50s, so it's his fault!) I now mourn the passing of the West Country sporting journalist and prolific cricket writer David Foot. And yes, it's a cliché (especially for a cricket writer) but 92 is a pretty good innings.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/other-sport/david-foot-death-tributes-cricket-5456995

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
'The Little Mermaid's' crab Sebasians voice actor has died aged 74.

"Tributes have been paid to US actor Samuel E Wright, best known for voicing Sebastian the crab in Disney's The Little Mermaid, who has died at 74.

Wright sang the 1989 animation's Oscar-winning song Under The Sea and went on to play Mufasa in the original Broadway production of The Lion King.

Other roles included jazz star Dizzy Gillespie in Clint Eastwood's Bird.

Disney marked the actor's death with a billboard tribute at The Lion King musical's original New York home."

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-57252369

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score

Eric Carle: Very Hungry Caterpillar author dies aged 91​

Eric Carle, the US author of best-selling children's book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, has died aged 91.

He passed away last Sunday, his family said.

"In the light of the moon, holding on to a good star, a painter of rainbows is now travelling across the night sky," a family statement said.

Carle's most famous book, which tells the story of a ravenous caterpillar, was published in 1969 and has sold more than 50 million copies.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57263822

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

Eric Carle, the US author of best-selling children's book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, has died aged 91.

"In the light of the moon, holding on to a good star, a painter of rainbows is now travelling across the night sky," a family statement said.

Carle's most famous book, which tells the story of a ravenous caterpillar, was published in 1969 and has sold more than 50 million copies.

I thought he'd died years, if not decades ago.

The caterpillar's stripes look like the shell of a watermelon, a fruit not commonly seen where I live until long after the book came out.
So my first sight of a watermelon reminded me of the caterpillar and still does.

bugmum

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I thought he'd died years, if not decades ago.

The caterpillar's stripes look like the shell of a watermelon, a fruit not commonly seen where I live until long after the book came out.
So my first sight of a watermelon reminded me of the caterpillar and still does.

He was definitely someone of whom you thought, "Is he still alive?"

That book is a HUGE favourite in this house. HUGE!!!!! Whilst 91 is an excellent innings and his legacy is assured, I'm sad that such talent has slipped away.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score

When I was five, school had a parade at the end of book week, where you dressed up as your favourite character. I went as the Very Hungry Caterpillar (green tissue paper for the body, red cardboard for the apple). I looked like a novelty condom (go on, make jokes, I know you want to), but to my five year old mind, I looked brilliant...

Last edited: