Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
John Davis - one of the singers who actually sang the hits lip-synched by - and attributed to - Mill Vanilli has died in Germany. More about his involvement with the Milli Vanilli scam can be found at the link below.
John Davis, real singer behind Milli Vanilli, dies at 66

John Davis, one of the real singers behind the lip-synching pop duo Milli Vanilli, died of the coronavirus this week, according to his family. He was 66. ...

Davis was credited with backup vocals but was really a lead singer on albums by Milli Vanilli, whose expeditious ascension into the music world was followed by an equally rapid fall.

Following the debut single “Girl You Know It’s True” and No. 1 hits including “Blame It On the Rain” and “Girl I’m Gonna Miss You,” Fabrice Morvan and Rob Pilatus won the 1989 Best New Artist Grammy Award.

When it was revealed that neither actually sang on Milli Vanilli records, the group was stripped of the Grammy months later and disbanded ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/europe-e...ntertainment-7249673031e2dcd9ce6d69bab333618a

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
John Davis - one of the singers who actually sang the hits lip-synched by - and attributed to - Mill Vanilli has died in Germany. More about his involvement with the Milli Vanilli scam can be found at the link below.

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/europe-e...ntertainment-7249673031e2dcd9ce6d69bab333618a
That was such a strange saga. It would have made a great black comedy plot, except that one of the Mill Vanilli performers later sadly killed himself.

Beresford

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
That was such a strange saga. It would have made a great black comedy plot, except that one of the Mill Vanilli performers later sadly killed himself.

Blame producer Frank Farian, he did exactly the same thing with his previous group Boney M and nobody gave a shit. But they didn't win Grammys.

Stillill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Shane Briant died on the 27th May,aged 74. Starred in three Hammer Studio films to my knowledge, maybe more. Also starred in The Naked Civil Servant and The picture of Dorian Gray.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Shane Briant died on the 27th May,aged 74. Starred in three Hammer Studio films to my knowledge, maybe more. Also starred in The Naked Civil Servant and The picture of Dorian Gray.

I saw that today, he was also a successful thriller writer. He was handsome in a way that could suggest cruelty, or nobility, depending on the role. RIP.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I saw that today, he was also a successful thriller writer. He was handsome in a way that could suggest cruelty, or nobility, depending on the role. RIP.
Handsome?
1622319811232.jpeg

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Gavin McLeod, star of The Mary Tyler Moore Show and The Love Boat, had died at 91. British insomniacs of the early 21st Century who used to watch Channel 5 in the wee small hours will mourn his passing. Really nice man, by reports. RIP.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Gavin McLeod, star of The Mary Tyler Moore Show and The Love Boat, had died at 91. British insomniacs of the early 21st Century who used to watch Channel 5 in the wee small hours will mourn his passing. Really nice man, by reports. RIP.

He was quite the face of t.v during my youth. Mary Tyler Moore's show was a favourite in our household and 'The Love Boat' was a smash hit here in Australia. I can recall the excitement when they came here to film an episode or two.
He always seemed a genial, kind person. A man you'd want to have as a friend.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
1970s multi-genre singer B. J. Thomas has died at age 78.
‘Hooked on a Feeling’ singer B.J. Thomas dies at 78

B.J. Thomas, the Grammy-winning singer who enjoyed success on the pop, country and gospel charts with such hits as “I Just Can’t Help Believing,” “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head” and “Hooked on a Feeling,” has died. He was 78.

Thomas, who announced in March that he had been diagnosed with lung cancer, died from complications of the disease Saturday at his home in Arlington, Texas ...

A Hugo, Oklahoma-native who grew up in Houston, Billy Joe Thomas broke through in 1966 with a gospel-styled cover of Hank Williams’ “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry” and went on to sell millions of records and have dozens of hits across genres. He reached No. 1 with pop, adult contemporary and country listeners in 1976 with ″(Hey Won’t You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song.” ...

His signature recording was “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head,” a No. 1 pop hit and an Oscar winner for best original song as part of the soundtrack to one of the biggest movies of 1969, the irreverent Western “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.” ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/va-state...legalization-253af1ba6e541060085108e027b367c1

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
Paul Soles, the voice of the 60's animated Spiderman and Hermie The Elf in Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer, has passed away.
https://www.thewrap.com/paul-soles-animated-spider-man-voice-1960s-dies-90/

All the good ones are going , man.

Sad news. I recall when Al Waxman died unexpectedly in early 2001 Paul Soles stepped in to take over the role of Shylock in The Merchant of Venice, which Waxman had been scheduled to perform during that year's season of the Stratford Festival. Reviews described Soles' performance as stellar.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
F. Lee Bailey - the celebrity lawyer who defended multiple famously controversial clients - has died at age 87.
Lawyer F. Lee Bailey dead at 87

F. Lee Bailey, a criminal defense attorney perhaps best known for representing O.J. Simpson during his murder trial, died Thursday in Atlanta, his family announced. He was 87. ...

F. Lee Bailey was a member of the legal team that successfully defended former NFL star Simpson against charges he murdered his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ron Goldman in 1994. ...

F. Lee Bailey also represented actor Patty Hearst for crimes she committed with the Symbionese Liberation Army after the group kidnapped her, and Albert DeSalvo, the so-called Boston Strangler, who was convicted of sexual assaults, but not the slayings to which he confessed. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2021/06/03/F-Lee-Bailey-obit/8261622757479/

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Another Giant has shuffled off this mortal coil.

Faye Schulman obituary: Jewish photographer who debunked Nazi lies​

‘Jews did not go like sheep to the slaughter. I was a photographer. I have pictures’​

Thu, Jun 3, 2021, 11:30

An undated photo of herself by Faye Schulman (then known as Faigel Lazebnik), via Second Story Press. Photograph: Faye Schulman

An undated photo of herself by Faye Schulman (then known as Faigel Lazebnik), via Second Story Press. Photograph: Faye Schulman

Born: November 28th, 1919
Died: April 24th, 2021

On August 14th, 1942, barely seven weeks after German troops invaded Soviet-occupied Poland, they massacred 1,850 Jews from a shtetl named Lenin near the river Sluch. Only 27 were spared, their skills deemed essential by the invaders.

The survivors included shoemakers, tailors, carpenters, blacksmiths, a barber and a young novice photographer named Faigel Lazebnik, who later in marriage would become known as Faye Schulman.

The Germans enlisted her to take commemorative photographs of them and, in some cases, their newly acquired mistresses. (“It better be good, or else you’ll be kaput,” she recalled a Gestapo commander warning her before she, trembling, asked him to smile.) They thus spared her from the firing squad because of their vanity and their obsession with bureaucratic record-keeping – two weaknesses that she would ultimately wield against them.

At one point the Germans witlessly gave her film to develop that contained pictures they had taken of the three trenches into which they, their Lithuanian collaborators and the local Polish police had machine-gunned Lenin’s remaining Jews, including her parents, sisters and younger brother.

She kept a copy of the photos as evidence of the atrocity, then later joined a band of Russian guerrilla Resistance fighters. As one of the only known Jewish partisan photographers, Schulman, thanks to her own graphic record-keeping, debunked the common narrative that most eastern European Jews had gone quietly to their deaths.

“I want people to know that there was resistance,” she was quoted as saying by the Jewish Partisan Educational Foundation. “Jews did not go like sheep to the slaughter. I was a photographer. I have pictures. I have proof.” ...

An undated photograph by Faye Schulman of herself, third from right in back row, with fellow partisans. Photograph: Faye Schulman

An undated photograph by Faye Schulman of herself, third from right in back row, with fellow partisans. Photograph: Faye Schulman

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...photographer-who-debunked-nazi-lies-1.4583101

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
A familiar face on telly for folks of a certain age, back in the 60s and 70s she seemed to have cornered the market in dotty posh ladies.
The actress Damaris Hayman, famous for playing Olive Hawthorne, the gloriously eccentric white witch of Devils End, has died at the age of 91.

Damaris Hayman had a long career in British Film and Television, playing mostly well to do, slightly eccentric, ladies. She made her TV debut in 1953 as Eliza in The Story of the Treasure Seekers

Her film debut came a year later in The Belles of St Trinian's, the first in the comedy series set in a Girls school. It was a world Hayman knew well having been educated at the exclusive Cheltenham Ladies' College. Later moves included The Pink Panther Strikes Again

https://www.doctorwhonews.net/2021/06/damaris_hayman_1929_2021.html

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
And another great one is gone.

Josep Almudéver: Last known veteran of Spanish civil war brigades​

French volunteer lied about his age to join in fight against advance of fascism​

about 16 hours ago

Josep Almudéver with Ximo Puig, the regional leader of Valencia. Almudéver was the last known survivor of the International Brigades who volunteered to fight in Spain’s civil war. Photograph: Oscar Rodriguez Alonso via the New York Times

Josep Almudéver with Ximo Puig, the regional leader of Valencia. Almudéver was the last known survivor of the International Brigades who volunteered to fight in Spain’s civil war. Photograph: Oscar Rodriguez Alonso via the New York Times

Born: July 30th, 1919
Died: May 23rd, 2021

Josep Almudéver, the last known survivor of the International Brigades who volunteered to fight in Spain’s civil war in the hope that they could stop fascism, died May 23rd in a hospital in Pamiers, in southwestern France. He was 101.

His death was confirmed by his daughter Sonia Almudéver. She did not specify the cause.

Almudéver was born in France to Spanish parents and held dual citizenship. He was a teenager living in Spain when Francisco Franco and other generals launched a military coup in July 1936 against Spain’s Republican government, which plunged the country into a three-year civil war.

He had to lie about his age to enlist in a Republican militia, but he was soon wounded and sent home. It was also discovered that he had been too young to fight. But after recovering from his injury, he managed to rejoin the conflict as a member of the International Brigades, in which tens of thousands of foreigners had enlisted in order to fight Franco. ...

Almudéver is survived by one of his three siblings, Vicente, who also fought on the Republican side during the civil war and is now 103. In addition to his daughter Sonia, his other survivors include four more children, 10 grandchildren and six great-grandchildren. His wife died in 2006.

Spanish prime minister Pedro Sánchez wrote on Twitter that Almudéver stood out because of his “political engagement and perseverance”, noting that he had not only fought for democracy and against dictatorship, but also then suffered “postwar repression and exile”. Ximo Puig, regional leader of Valencia, also paid tribute on Twitter to Almudéver for “fighting for the democratic convictions of all his people”.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...teran-of-spanish-civil-war-brigades-1.4583112

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Another Giant has shuffled off this mortal coil.

Faye Schulman obituary: Jewish photographer who debunked Nazi lies​

‘Jews did not go like sheep to the slaughter. I was a photographer. I have pictures’​

Thu, Jun 3, 2021, 11:30

Born: November 28th, 1919
Died: April 24th, 2021

On August 14th, 1942, barely seven weeks after German troops invaded Soviet-occupied Poland, they massacred 1,850 Jews from a shtetl named Lenin near the river Sluch. Only 27 were spared, their skills deemed essential by the invaders.

The survivors included shoemakers, tailors, carpenters, blacksmiths, a barber and a young novice photographer named Faigel Lazebnik, who later in marriage would become known as Faye Schulman.

The Germans enlisted her to take commemorative photographs of them and, in some cases, their newly acquired mistresses. (“It better be good, or else you’ll be kaput,” she recalled a Gestapo commander warning her before she, trembling, asked him to smile.) They thus spared her from the firing squad because of their vanity and their obsession with bureaucratic record-keeping – two weaknesses that she would ultimately wield against them.

At one point the Germans witlessly gave her film to develop that contained pictures they had taken of the three trenches into which they, their Lithuanian collaborators and the local Polish police had machine-gunned Lenin’s remaining Jews, including her parents, sisters and younger brother.

She kept a copy of the photos as evidence of the atrocity, then later joined a band of Russian guerrilla Resistance fighters. As one of the only known Jewish partisan photographers, Schulman, thanks to her own graphic record-keeping, debunked the common narrative that most eastern European Jews had gone quietly to their deaths.

“I want people to know that there was resistance,” she was quoted as saying by the Jewish Partisan Educational Foundation. “Jews did not go like sheep to the slaughter. I was a photographer. I have pictures. I have proof.” ...

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...photographer-who-debunked-nazi-lies-1.4583101

A Jewish Partisan song.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Clarence Williams III, best known for playing Linc in the original Mod Squad TV series, has passed away at age 81. Among his other credits were multiple episodes of Tales from the Crypt and Twin Peaks.
Clarence Williams III, ‘The Mod Squad’s’ Linc, Dies at 81

Clarence Williams III, who played the cool undercover cop Linc Hayes on the counterculture series “The Mod Squad” and Prince’s father in “Purple Rain,” has died. He was 81.

Williams died Friday at his home in Los Angeles after a battle with colon cancer, his manager Allan Mindel said Sunday. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-arts-and-entertainment-5045fac1422364740f2ecf3dff60cc67

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
The last 'liberator' of Aushwitz has died at the age of 98.

David Dushman, last surviving Auschwitz liberator, dies aged 98​

"David Dushman, the last surviving soldier who took part in the liberation of the Nazi death camp at Auschwitz, has died at 98.

Dushman, a Jewish Red Army veteran who later became an Olympic fencer, died in Germany on Saturday.

As a 21-year-old soldier, he used his tank to mow down the camp's electric fence on 27 January 1945, helping to set its prisoners free.

About 1.1 million people were murdered at Auschwitz, most of them Jews."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57379704

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Clarence Williams III, best known for playing Linc in the original Mod Squad TV series, has passed away at age 81. Among his other credits were multiple episodes of Tales from the Crypt and Twin Peaks.

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-arts-and-entertainment-5045fac1422364740f2ecf3dff60cc67

Strange that Michael Cole is the only Squad member still alive, but there we are. If you watched Channel 4 late night on Fridays in the late 90s, you'll feel a little saddened at Mr Williams' passing. RIP.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I don't remember Mod Squad. Was it shown on UK TV?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
The last 'liberator' of Aushwitz has died at the age of 98.

David Dushman, last surviving Auschwitz liberator, dies aged 98​

"David Dushman, the last surviving soldier who took part in the liberation of the Nazi death camp at Auschwitz, has died at 98.

Dushman, a Jewish Red Army veteran who later became an Olympic fencer, died in Germany on Saturday.

As a 21-year-old soldier, he used his tank to mow down the camp's electric fence on 27 January 1945, helping to set its prisoners free.

About 1.1 million people were murdered at Auschwitz, most of them Jews."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57379704
And we think we have tough days at work.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I don't remember Mod Squad. Was it shown on UK TV?

I can't find any mention of it online in the UK before the late 1990s showings on Channel 4, in their weekend 4Later slot. Perfect insomniac viewing. Solid, as Linc would say.

Actually, with Gavin McLeod dead recently too, Nige and Steph from VIDS better look after themselves.