Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
I'm 63 in three months. When I was a kid, women of 60 were Ena Sharples. I was expecting to be choosing my hairnet by now.
Strange the two of you are never seen in the same room at the same time...
18-05-2014-1960-2nd-episode.png

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I think Edward DeBono's dead.

(Seriously, the chap was inspired. Proposed sorting out the Middle East by means of Marmite. Genius. RIP. )

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...s-marmite-plan-peace-middle-yeast-740189.html
I bought his book 'Lateral Thinking' which consisted entirely of various ways of expressing the concept that Lateral Thinking is different from other ways of thinking. Yesterday when I heard that he wrote each book in 'eight mornings' it all made sense

(Like the time I read that famous book about how to give up smoking, just to see what the fuss was about.

It seemed to repeat the concept that 'You are not addicted to smoking, nobody is, everybody just THINKS they are' hundreds of times.

Not being a smoker, I must've missed something.)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Bono, Edge and some pals have done a song about things getting back to normal after everyone is vaccinated.
@ramonmercado will LOVE it.

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Assisted dying campaigner Noel Conway has died aged 71

"Campaigner Noel Conway, who brought a legal challenge against the ban on assisted dying in the UK, has died at the age of 71.

Mr Conway, of Shropshire, had motor neurone disease and only had movement in his right hand, head and neck.

He took his campaign to the Supreme Court, arguing for his right to die, but lost the appeal in 2018.

His wife Carol said he had died at home on Wednesday after deciding with his family to remove his ventilator."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-shropshire-57441095

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Character actor Larry Gelman passed away last week. You'll know the face.
https://www.newsfromme.com/2021/06/08/larry-gelman-r-i-p/
King of the nebbishy character parts. Barney Miller (Emmy nomination), Bob Newhart, and hilariously sarcastic as the White Rabbit in the X rated Alice in Wonderland (1976).
And in another thread it was mentioned that Wilford Brimley could have played Charles Fort, as could Larry German and the pair of them together warrant a mention in the lookalikes thread!
6314FEC0-6C84-4DC2-94B1-876E6D77EFE6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Ned Beatty has passed away. RIP

Ned Beatty, Who Made Quite the First Impression in ‘Deliverance,’ Dies at 83​

The actor also had memorable roles in 'Nashville,' 'Network' and 'Homicide: Life on the Street.'

BY MIKE BARNES
Plus Icon

JUNE 13, 2021 3:21PM

Ned Beatty, who made an indelible first impression in Deliverance before turning in noteworthy efforts in Nashville, Network and Homicide: Life on the Street as one of the most respected character actors of his time, has died. He was 83.
Beatty died Sunday of natural causes at his Los Angeles home, his daughter Blossom Beatty told The Hollywood Reporter.

The Kentucky native also portrayed Lily Tomlin’s good ol’ boy hustler-lawyer husband in Robert Altman’s Nashville (1975), was a slippery Miami district attorney in Alan J. Pakula’s All the President’s Men (1976) and elicited laughs as Lex Luthor’s (Gene Hackman) bumbling sidekick Otis in Superman (1978) and its 1980 sequel.

On television, Ned Beatty was at his best as Det. Stanley “The Big Man” Bolander on NBC’s Homicide: Life on the Street and as the chaplain assigned to an American private (Martin Sheen) in his final hours on the somber 1974 NBC telefilm The Execution of Private Slovik.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/ned-beatty-dead-deliverance-1234967321/

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I read an interview with Ned Beatty years ago where he seemed disappointed with his career, he felt he never had as good a role as Deliverance ever again. I hope he revised his opinion, he had nothing to be ashamed of. RIP.

"Otisburgh?!"