Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This won't mean much to anyone not from Australia, but Aussie comedy legent and businessman John Cornell, better known to most of us as 'Strop' has passed away.

‘A classic Australian character’: John ‘Strop’ Cornell dies at 80​

John Cornell – the man behind comedian Paul Hogan’s success and Kerry Packer’s confidante during World Series Cricket – has died at the age of 80 following a 20-year battle with Parkinson’s disease.
He was surrounded by his family, including his wife and television personality Delvene Delaney and eldest daughter, at his home at Byron Bay.
https://www.smh.com.au/culture/cele...ocial&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1626996775-1

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Jackie Mason was the prototype "in your face" / "edgy" comedian back in the Sixties. His humor was more sharp-edged than Woody Allen's but not quite as personally aggressive as Don Rickles'. Mason was mainly known for testing boundaries, jabbing at sociopolitical issues, and making you think. Though not as big a national celebrity as others, he was a legend among the comedy community.
Jackie Mason, comic who perfected amused outrage, dies at 93

Jackie Mason, a rabbi-turned-comedian whose feisty brand of standup comedy led him to Catskills nightclubs, West Coast talk shows and Broadway stages, has died. He was 93. ...

The irascible Mason was known for his sharp wit and piercing social commentary, often about being Jewish, men and women and his own inadequacies. His typical style was amused outrage.

“Eighty percent of married men cheat in America. The rest cheat in Europe,” he once joked. Another Mason line was: “Politics doesn’t make strange bedfellows, marriage does.” About himself, he once said: “I was so self-conscious, every time football players went into a huddle; I thought they were talking about me.” ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/entertai...jackie-mason-1a4c1b51d538a6871edd5cad52c2f14f

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
I heard a version of this where a drunk Sinatra was sitting front row and heckled Mason during a performance.
Mason made a joke at Sinatra's expense, then Sinatra sent in the thugs.

Perhaps the joke was about Mia Farrow?
Sinatra didn't seem to mind Don Rickles making jokes about him, especially his alleged connections with a certain Italian organisation.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Nosmo King

(Formerly Souleater)
Reaction score
Ex-drummer and founding member of Slipknot dies aged 46.

"The former drummer of US heavy metal band Slipknot, Joey Jordison, has died at the age of 46.

In a statement, Jordison's family said he passed away peacefully in his sleep.
They did not reveal his cause of death, but said his passing had left them with "empty hearts and feelings of indescribable sorrow".

Jordison was one of Slipknot's original members, founding the band in 1995 along with percussionist Shawn Cruhan and bassist Paul Gray.

The group released a successful self-titled debut album four years later."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57993121

WeeScottishLassie

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Ex-drummer and founding member of Slipknot dies aged 46.

"The former drummer of US heavy metal band Slipknot, Joey Jordison, has died at the age of 46.

In a statement, Jordison's family said he passed away peacefully in his sleep.
They did not reveal his cause of death, but said his passing had left them with "empty hearts and feelings of indescribable sorrow".

Jordison was one of Slipknot's original members, founding the band in 1995 along with percussionist Shawn Cruhan and bassist Paul Gray.

The group released a successful self-titled debut album four years later."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57993121
It mentions that he had some kind of MS so I wonder if it was something related to that?

Again 46 is very young so it's really sad.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
It mentions that he had some kind of MS so I wonder if it was something related to that?

Again 46 is very young so it's really sad.
I was reading about this yesterday. As he was so young I naturally first thought of suicide or an overdose.
However, as you say he had a longstanding illness and it seems he died in his sleep.

While it's sad to lose someone you love, such a quiet death is less traumatic for their family and friends.
(I know whereof I speak.)

WeeScottishLassie

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I was reading about this yesterday. As he was so young I naturally first thought of suicide or an overdose.
However, as you say he had a longstanding illness and it seems he died in his sleep.

While it's sad to lose someone you love, such a quiet death is less traumatic for their family and friends.
(I know whereof I speak.)
Yes, my thoughts were the same sa yours in that it was suicide but I don't know much about MS.

A quiet death in his sleep does sound less brutal but I'm sure it's still really upsetting for those loved ones left behind.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Yes, my thoughts were the same sa yours in that it was suicide but I don't know much about MS.

A quiet death in his sleep does sound less brutal but I'm sure it's still really upsetting for those loved ones left behind.
Well yup, it would be a shock and they will miss him.
It's what we'd want for ourselves though, if we had a choice; just go to sleep and not wake up. Maybe a after couple more decades of life, not so young.

WeeScottishLassie

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Well yup, it would be a shock and they will miss him.
It's what we'd want for ourselves though, if we had a choice; just go to sleep and not wake up. Maybe a after couple more decades of life, not so young.
Definitely. Agree with everything you are saying. I think passing in your sleep would be the best way to go.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely. Agree with everything you are saying. I think passing in your sleep would be the best way to go.

tenor.gif

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I don't know much about MS
There are 2 types of MS. Both are an autoimmune condition that affects the brain, spinal cord and/or nervous system.
One basically 'comes and goes' so is not in itself fatal, and people can manage to learn to live with it over many years.
The other progressively worsens without remission, over a number of years usually, and again, in and of itself is not fatal but the condition can lead to other types of 'misadventure' that can prove to be fatal.
Details here;
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/multiple-sclerosis/

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
"....run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible!...."