Antediluvian
Reaction score

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Reaction score

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I really liked Girls Aloud, from the last great era of pop music (so far), the early to mid-00s, their last two albums before they split for the first time were just great. So sad Sarah has died, she was down to earth and a bit wild, real force of nature type. RIP, she's walking Primrose in heaven now!

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Long time in a coma, R.I.P.

Former France footballer Jean-Pierre Adams, who had been in a coma for 39 years, has died at the age of 73.

Adams was admitted to hospital for knee surgery in March 1982 but never regained consciousness after an error with his supply of anaesthetic.

Born in Senegal, the defender made more than 140 appearances for Nice and also played for Paris St-Germain.

In a statement, PSG said Adams' "joie de vivre, charisma and experience commanded respect".

Nice said the club would pay tribute to Adams - who won 22 caps for France between 1972-1976 - before their next home game against Monaco on 19 September.

Adams also made 84 appearances for Nimes, who said they were sending their "most sincere condolences to his loved ones and his family".

On the day of Adams' operation to repair a damaged tendon in his knee - suffered while on a coaching training camp - many staff at the hospital in Lyon were on strike.

His operation still went ahead, with the anaesthetist looking after eight patients, including Adams, at the same time. Adams was supervised by a trainee, who later said: "I was not up to the task I was entrusted with."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58463792

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
A legend of French cinema has passed away.

Jean-Paul Belmondo, star of Breathless, dies aged 88​

Jean-Paul Belmondo, the French actor who shot to international fame in Jean-Luc Godard’s revolutionary New Wave classic Breathless, has died aged 88. The actor’s lawyer confirmed the news to AFP.
Belmondo – nicknamed Bébel by French audiences – became one of the country’s biggest box-office stars in the 60s and 70s, his battered-looking face a contrast to the chiselled features of his rival and sometime-collaborator Alain Delon. Like Delon, Belmondo was a key figure of the outstanding generation of European film-making of the period, with the series of films he made with Godard – which included A Woman Is a Woman and Pierrot le Fou – making an indelible mark.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/sep/06/jean-paul-belmondo-star-of-breathless-dies-aged-88

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
A familiar face from the telly

Ex EastEnders and Doctor Who actor Tony Selby dies, aged 83​

The popular actor, who also starred in the Good Life and My Family, passed away yesterday.

Ex EastEnders and Doctor Who actor Tony Selby has died, aged 83.
Heartbroken fans have paid their respects online to the popular star who passed away on Sunday.
Tony's management LCM Limited, confirmed the actor's death with a statement on social media.
They said on Twitter: "With great sadness we announce that actor Tony Selby passed away peacefully in London yesterday.

"In a career spanning 70 years in theatre, film and TV, Tony was highly respected and loved by family, friends and colleagues.
"His renowned sense of humour will be missed by us all."
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/celebrity/ex-eastenders-doctor-who-actor-24922347

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I think it'd be hard to come up with a TV show he didn't appear in back in the 70s. He seemed to be in just about everything.
Yes, he became ubiquitous for a time.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score

A total legend. Belmondo's career is like Arnold Schwarzenegger starring in his action movies AND Peter Greenaway and Sally Potter movies at the same time. Only Belmondo did all his own stunts. A true original. RIP great man.

A little taste of That Man from Rio (rerelease trailer):

That was the movie that inspired Spielberg to make Raiders of the Lost Ark.

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Belmondo in Breathless:
What a great presence.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I always loved Belmondo the mad stuntman -

Amazing work! He was such a cool guy. He always claimed being an action hero was where his real interest lay, but he was such a brilliant actor he could turn his hand to anything.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
RIP Michael K. Williams of The Wire, only 54:
News story

Omar's... going. Brilliant character, he couldn't have played him better. Loads of other things too, but that'll be his legacy.

Astounding in 'Boardwalk Empire' amongst many other things. He was that kind of actor, one that made his characters so memorable.

skinny

aka Wuluwait, Boatman of the Dead
Reaction score
RIP Pat Hume, wife of John.
A stalwart prop in the Northern Ireland peace process and a staunch advocate for reconciliation between diverse communities. The shape of Ulster society today would be significantly different without her. RIP, brave warrior.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-58431982

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
'The Wire' actor Michael K William's has been found dead aged 54, reports suggest he died from a drugs overdose.

"American actor Michael K Williams, best known for starring in HBO drama series The Wire, has been found dead in his New York apartment. He was 54.

US media quote law enforcement sources as saying he died from a suspected drug overdose. This has not been officially confirmed.

Williams - who was nominated for three Emmy Awards - had openly discussed his struggles with drugs over the years.

In The Wire, he played Omar Little, a gay, streetwise robber of drug gangs."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58470253

Stillill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Tony Selby was great in “Three Clear Sundays”, directed by Ken Loach and aired in 1965. It was part of the BBC’s Wednesday Play series . The title being taken from a Home Office ruling that three clear Sundays must pass between a sentence of death and execution. Well worth a watch.

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
RIP Michael K. Williams of The Wire, only 54:
News story

Omar's... going. Brilliant character, he couldn't have played him better. Loads of other things too, but that'll be his legacy.
Omar was a character who transcended the show, it's as if I can see him walking down my street, people throwing bags of crack out of their windows.

Anyone who has not seen "The Wire", please do so.
Perhaps it has dated a bit, but it's in the top 10 series I have seen.

A troubled life, professional success, but so much sadness.