Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
María Mendiola, of the duo Baccara, died today. Baccara's hit was 'Yes Sir, I Can Boogie':

Wasnt she on the news quite recently due to, I think, the Scotand fans, at the world cup adopting the song as their anthem.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
María Mendiola, of the duo Baccara, died today. Baccara's hit was 'Yes Sir, I Can Boogie':

But I love that song! I want it played at my funeral!
tumblr_inline_mx3u53uTbl1qbsrwi540.gif

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
The lyrics to the second verse are so perfunctory it's almost brilliant. RIP Maria (she did Eurovision too).

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
The lyrics to the second verse are so perfunctory it's almost brilliant. RIP Maria (she did Eurovision too).
The lyrics are pretty dire, yes.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
All night long evidently.

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I didn't get a chance until now to mention the passing of newsman Lloyd Dobyns, who died on August 22. While not a household name, he is remembered by fans as the host of Weekend, an NBC newsmagazine show of the 1970s that aired once monthly in the Saturday 11:30 PM time slot.

Dobyns's style was perfect for the show, which usually maintained a whimsical (yet intellectual) attitude while covering even the most serious stories. The overall mood was that we live in a crazy world and we might as well smile at it.

I remember one story about Playboy models that treated its subject so casually that I didn't fully realize how much nudity was in it until Dobyns mentioned - after the story - that they didn't think a "viewer discretion advised" warning was needed. Another piece, without narration, looked at the American egg industry. Through it I learned that some pre-made egg sandwiches get their contents by having disks cut from what looks like a big white salami: a log of parboiled egg whites with a core of cooked yolks.

A recurring feature was "Pyke Speaks", which played a segment from a free-form monologue by Magnus Pyke, long before he gained international fame as the voice of the scientist on "She Blinded Me with Science". While fascinating, Pyke seemed to never settle on a topic, as he kept reminding himself of other interesting things to talk about.

R.I.P. Lloyd - and Weekend.

https://apnews.com/article/middle-east-arts-and-entertainment-6b2cc1738201cb1799fc88dbc4c53158

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

A bit of 'Yes Sir' was just played on BBC R4's Brain of Britain quiz. The very difficult question was 'Who sang this?'
I bet she'd've liked that especially as the contestant got it right.

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Pyke was on British TV a lot until 1980. Thomas Dolby co-opted him because Pyke's eccentric style was so well-known.
Yes. I believe Dobyns and his team saw a clip of Pyke - basically unknown in America - and thought he'd be a good addition to their show; something you could laugh at and take seriously at the same time.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Magnus Pyke was wonderful and inspired a new generation of young scientists.
Heinz Wolff was also very inspiring.
And in the same vein.....I used to enjoy James Burke stuff on the TV when I were a nipper.
(Heinz Wolff hosted 'The Great Egg Race' which I was also fond of - I met him once when he bought some pipe fittings from the plumbers I worked in.....but that's another story)

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
He did some amazing stuff, then buggered off to America, never to be seen again on UK TV.
According to Wikipedia -

In a May 2020 interview, Burke said that he was writing a new Connections book, which would be the basis for a new television series titled Connections 21, slated to air in January 2022

Didn't we have a thread or at least some posts on Burke a while ago?
He's normally shown in the clip where he ends an introduction just as a space rocket takes off behind him.

stu

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
I didn't get a chance until now to mention the passing of newsman Lloyd Dobyns, who died on August 22. While not a household name, he is remembered by fans as the host of Weekend, an NBC newsmagazine show of the 1970s that aired once monthly in the Saturday 11:30 PM time slot.

Dobyns's style was perfect for the show, which usually maintained a whimsical (yet intellectual) attitude while covering even the most serious stories. The overall mood was that we live in a crazy world and we might as well smile at it.

I remember one story about Playboy models that treated its subject so casually that I didn't fully realize how much nudity was in it until Dobyns mentioned - after the story - that they didn't think a "viewer discretion advised" warning was needed. Another piece, without narration, looked at the American egg industry. Through it I learned that some pre-made egg sandwiches get their contents by having disks cut from what looks like a big white salami: a log of parboiled egg whites with a core of cooked yolks.

A recurring feature was "Pyke Speaks", which played a segment from a free-form monologue by Magnus Pyke, long before he gained international fame as the voice of the scientist on "She Blinded Me with Science". While fascinating, Pyke seemed to never settle on a topic, as he kept reminding himself of other interesting things to talk about.

R.I.P. Lloyd - and Weekend.

https://apnews.com/article/middle-east-arts-and-entertainment-6b2cc1738201cb1799fc88dbc4c53158
I'd forgotten about Dobyns! Haven't heard his name in years! I kinda remember his show...:thought:

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
And in the same vein.....I used to enjoy James Burke stuff on the TV when I were a nipper.
(Heinz Wolff hosted 'The Great Egg Race' which I was also fond of - I met him once when he bought some pipe fittings from the plumbers I worked in.....but that's another story)
We should start a club, I sold him a few bits and pieces when I worked in the camera shop Jessops.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The Prime Ministers Mother, Charlotte, has passed away at age 79.

Boris Johnson's mother, Charlotte Johnson Wahl, dies aged 79 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58548437
The Daily Telegraph said she died at a London hospital on Monday, adding that her family said it happened "suddenly and peacefully"

Vardoger

Make mine a 99
Reaction score
Funny guy Norm MacDonald, dead at 61.
--------

Norm Macdonald, comedian and former SNL cast member, dies at 61​

The Canadian star known for his laconic, deadpan style died of cancer after a previously unshared diagnosis nine years ago

Adrian Horton
@adrian_horton
Tue 14 Sep 2021 20.25 BST

Norm Macdonald, the Canadian stand-up comic and Saturday Night Live cast member known for his deadpan delivery, died of cancer Tuesday at age 61.
The comedian had been living with cancer in private for nearly a decade, according to his longtime friend and producing partner Lori Jo Hoekstra, who was with him when he died. “He was most proud of his comedy,” Hoekstra told Deadline. “He never wanted the diagnosis to affect the way the audience or any of his loved ones saw him. Norm was a pure comic. He once wrote that ‘a joke should catch someone by surprise, it should never pander.’ He certainly never pandered. Norm will be missed terribly.”

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/sep/14/norm-macdonald-comedian-former-snl-dies

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Funny guy Norm MacDonald, dead at 61.
I'm greatly saddened to learn about his death and the cancer he kept private. MacDonald was one of my favorite comedians from the 1990s onward, and it had mystified me why he'd seemingly disappeared around a decade ago. He was one of those increasingly rare comedians who established a persona and style that was uniquely his own. RIP ...

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
I first became aware of him when he played the voice of Yaphit in The Orville. A very funny guy gone way too soon. RIP

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I'm greatly saddened to learn about his death and the cancer he kept private. MacDonald was one of my favorite comedians from the 1990s onward, and it had mystified me why he'd seemingly disappeared around a decade ago. He was one of those increasingly rare comedians who established a persona and style that was uniquely his own. RIP ...

There are rumours he pissed off some high up political people and that got him sacked from SNL, and made it difficult to get high profile work. RIP, anyway.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Probably the reason a lot of us are on the internet.

Affordable computing pioneer and inventor of the pocket calculator. If not for the accursed C5 which turned him into a joke figure, he would be better remembered. But he made a real difference. RIP.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Sinclair computers were made in my hometown of Dundee at the Timex factory there. Quite a few found their way into local homes and it's believed that is why Dundee became a leader in the computer games industry.
Around that time I worked on an exhibition about technology and we had a Sinclair QL with a Micro Drive (a very small tape drive) and the Sincalir Pocket TV. The QL almost had a decent keyboard by Sinclair standards - unless you turned it upside down and all the keys fell out. And I don't think we ever managed to use the Micro Drive more than twice before the tape got chewed up.