Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
One for the history books. I wonder how things would have turned out if he'd have not been in the right place at the right time?

George Holliday, man who filmed Rodney King video that forever changed L.A., dies​

The video was less than nine minutes long, dark, grainy and badly out of focus. But it changed L.A. in ways that were unfathomable and dragged George Holliday into a life he never bargained for.

Shot with a bulky Sony Handycam, the video of the Rodney King beating in 1991 tore open a city already heaving with racial tension, an era when the Los Angeles Police Department was all but an occupying force in the city’s Black neighborhoods, arriving with tanks, battering rams and brute force.

And when the four officers who beat King were acquitted the following year, the city exploded in protest and violence, thick smoke curling into the sky from Koreatown to South L.A. By the time it was over, more than 50 people had been killed and more than 2,300 were injured. The scars — both to the city’s urban core and to the psyches of its residents — remained in plain view for decades.
https://www.latimes.com/obituaries/...yNXjfHACQGYCA75NjoFzoiaBODFJ4ekQ3IFQWbQ7s7NPE

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Singer Sarah Dash, a co-founder of trailblazing US group Labelle, who had a huge hit with Lady Marmalade, has died at the age of 76.

Fellow group member Patti LaBelle confirmed the news on Twitter, saying she was "heartbroken" but that Dash's spirit would "live on".

"We were just on stage together on Saturday and it was such a powerful and special moment," she posted.
Lady Marmalade went to number one on the US Billboard chart in 1975.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58636367

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Reaction score
Melvin Van Peebles Dies: Iconic Filmmaker, Actor, and Novelist Was 89

Van Peebles gave American independent cinema exactly what it needed, when it needed it most: an explosive shake-up, with his unfiltered expression of Black consciousness and energetic style. The anarchic 1971 blaxploitation classic “Sweet Sweetback’s Baadasssss Song” undeniably shifted the course of American film history, and it was just one piece of a remarkably varied career that also encompassed forays into European arthouse cinema (“The Story of a Three Day Pass”), Hollywood comedy (“Watermelon Man”), Broadway productions (“Don’t Play Us Cheap”), novels, and performances. He was a transformative artist whose biting observations of social mores, unapologetic radicalism, and vision established a model for Black creative independence.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/09/melvin-van-peebles-obituary-1234656083/

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Was there anything Melvin Van Peebles didn't do?

Extraordinary life, and his film unintentionally started a whole genre.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Howard from Last of the Summer Wine - Robert Fyfe, has finally gone to meet his Marina:

fyfe.JPG

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58653653

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

Sillyhuron

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Horror movie host Graham Garfield Barnard, AKA "Nigel Honeybone" has passed away. His show THE SCHLOCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW has been on Australian TV since 2007.

Production was kinda bare-bones:

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Horror movie host Graham Garfield Barnard, AKA "Nigel Honeybone" has passed away. His show THE SCHLOCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW has been on Australian TV since 2007.

Production was kinda bare-bones:
I loved The Schlocky Horror Picture show! Used to watch it every week, until the community tv station it was on didn't make it in the analogue-to-digital transfer...

tumblr_inline_mx3u53uTbl1qbsrwi540.gif

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Think we missed Roger Michell:
News story

Director of stage and screen, very talented with drama. Made Notting Hill, probably his most famous, but don't hold that against him. I particularly liked the 90s TV series Buddha of Suburbia, which seems to have been forgotten despite David Bowie doing the music. RIP.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I particularly liked the 90s TV series Buddha of Suburbia, which seems to have been forgotten despite David Bowie doing the music. RIP.
Yes, I liked that too.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score

Lead singer Francis Rossi said: "Alan was an integral part of the sound and the enormous success of Status Quo during the 60s and 70s."

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-58698864

Sod off Francis. Lancaster was playing with Quo into the 80's and performed and wrote on big sellers such as Just Supposin, Never too Late. Back to Back.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Beutiful story about Sir Roger from the Guardian comments on his obit site.

"A long story as short as possible.
1965 and my gran insists I say hello to the famous (as fame went in '65) footballer who was courting the girl next door but one. An awkward 6 yr old shook his hand and he gave me an autograph and made me laugh and a lifelong devotion to a player/club was born.
My first time seeing him play was 67/8 when my uncle took me to watch Liverpool v Blackpool. We were in the paddock and he sat me on the wall as the players warmed up. A bullet headed Scot prowling the sidelines said 'ye alright son?' 'I've come to see Roger play' 'Aye there's 11 guys in tangerine come to do that too'
He scored twice.
1970 am long term seriously ill in hospital, life threatening at first. Via my gran word got to Roger that this little lad who worshipped him was in dire straits. He came to visit me unnanounced. Sat for 30 mins and brought in and gave me to hold an England cap, one of his league medals, his FA Cup medal and I think a Euro Comp. losers medal.
Then out of his jacket pocket in a velvet box in my hands to open...yes...his World Cup winners medal. Aside: In the private ward was a parent of someone as world famous as possible in 1970. A nurse told visiting son about my plight and he came to the childrens ward to chat for 10 mins and I bored George Harrison all about Roger Hunt!
Fast forward to 1982. Me working in a pub, busy tea time shift full of a gang of lads talking bollox about the coming world cup in Spain...Keegan this/Robson that/Mariner the other...
A lorry cab had pulled in to the car park and the driver came in and ordered his bar meal and half and was sat no more than 5 yards from the 'knowledgeable' footie crew. Not one recognised they had a World Cup winner in the same room.
I went over to collect his plate and glass with a 'you wont remember me but...' to thank him. He asked how I was and how my gran was and remembered his visit.
For everything you ever did on the field and for the above showing what an exemplary and humble human being you were I want to express my heartfelt thanks and it is a while since I have shed a tear but today is the day I did again."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/sep/28/roger-hunt-obituary#comments

Last edited:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Tommy Kirk was a child / teen star in classic Disney films of the 1950s / 1960s. He died this week at age 79.
'Old Yeller,' 'Swiss Family' star Tommy Kirk dies at 79

Tommy Kirk, who acted in a series of family films as a child in the '50s and '60s, died Tuesday in his Las Vegas, Nev. home. He was 79.

Actor Paul Petersen II first shared the news on Facebook. TMZ confirmed with law enforcement. ...

Neighbor Bev Washburn, who co-starred with Kirk in the movie Old Yeller, notified Petersen. Kirk played a boy who befriended the title dog in the 1957 tear-jerker.

Born Dec. 10, 1941, Kirk also appeared in films The Shaggy Dog, Swiss Family Robinson, The Absent Minded Professor and its sequel, Son of Flubber. ...

Kirk continued to act in film and television regularly until 1975's My Name Is Legend. His last credit was the 2001 horror film, The Education of a Vampire.

Petersen wrote that Kirk lived alone and was estranged from his blood relatives because he was gay. Petersen said he and Kirk's friends would handle final arrangements. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/2021/09/29/Old-Yeller-Tommy-Kirk-dies/2801632953551/

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I have "Old Yeller" on DVD, as part of a five movie box set. I bought it only for 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, and have yet to watch Old Yeller, because I understand it has a traumatic ending, according to all those American sitcoms...

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Traumatic is right! Poor old Tommy had a pretty traumatic time himself once he realised he was gay, or rather, once other people realised. He did some bad behaviour, but the way he was treated kind of forced him to it. And I'll say again: The Shaggy Dog is still funny, mostly because it features a dog driving a car. RIP.