Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I was totally enchanted by the tortoise in finger bobs no idea why.
I only remember the mouse tbh .. and Yoffy's polo neck jumper. I didn't even know he was called Yoffy until today.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Rick was on Play School too, though I don't remember him. Fingerbobs though: banger after banger in 15 minutes. RIP.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I met him and his wife once in the early 80's when he came to stay at my parents home. After dinner, there were many of us in the drawing room, having drinks and talking. He and his wife were the life of the evening, telling stories, dancing together & singing to each other.
Someone asked where they had met and he told us their story. It was harrowing.
The same person asked him how he could be so happy after everything he had been through... and this is something I still remember clearly to this day.
He answered, ''Each morning we wake up, we are alive and we have each other. What is there to be sad about?''
In his life, a quiet and unassuming man, but someone (as a young person when we met) whose words touched me deeply.
May he rest in peace.

Australian Holocaust survivor Eddie Jaku dies aged 101​

Eddie Jaku OAM, an Australian Holocaust survivor and the author of The Happiest Man on Earth, has died at the age of 101.

Mr Jaku was born in Germany in 1920 and moved to Australia following the Second World War, where he escaped Auschwitz and Buchenwald concentration camps and then the Nazi death march.
His book, The Happiest Man on Earth, was published when he was 100-years-old and details his experience growing up in Germany and the war.

"The passing of Holocaust survivor Eddie Jaku OAM has left a huge void in the hearts of the Sydney Jewish Museum 'family'," Sydney Jewish Museum said on Twitter.

"Eddie’s impact, as the ‘happiest man on earth’ will be felt for generations to come.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/australian-holocaust-survivor-eddie-jaku-dies-aged-101-021507895.html

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I met him and his wife once in the early 80's when he came to stay at my parents home. After dinner, there were many of us in the drawing room, having drinks and talking. He and his wife were the life of the evening, telling stories, dancing together & singing to each other.
Someone asked where they had met and he told us their story. It was harrowing.
The same person asked him how he could be so happy after everything he had been through... and this is something I still remember clearly to this day.
He answered, ''Each morning we wake up, we are alive and we have each other. What is there to be sad about?''
In his life, a quiet and unassuming man, but someone (as a young person when we met) whose words touched me deeply.
May he rest in peace.

Australian Holocaust survivor Eddie Jaku dies aged 101​

Eddie Jaku OAM, an Australian Holocaust survivor and the author of The Happiest Man on Earth, has died at the age of 101.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/australian-holocaust-survivor-eddie-jaku-dies-aged-101-021507895.html

“Eddie Jaku OAM, born Abraham Jakubowicz in Germany in 1920.

His family considered themselves German, first, Jewish second. On 9 November 1938, the night immortalised as Kristallnacht, Eddie returned home from boarding school to an empty house. At dawn Nazi soldiers burst in, Eddie was beaten and taken to Buchenwald.

Eddie was released and with his father escaped to Belgium and then France, but was again captured and sent to a camp, and thereafter to Auschwitz. On route, Eddie managed to escape back to Belgium where he lived in hiding with his parents and sister.

In October 1943, Eddie’s family were arrested and again sent to Auschwitz where his parents were both murdered. In 1945, Eddie was sent on a ‘death march’ but once again escaped and hid in a forest eating slugs and snails until June 1945 he was finally rescued by.

Eddie has volunteered at the Sydney Jewish Museum since it’s inception in 1992. Self-proclaimed as ‘the happiest man on earth’, he saw death every day throughout WWII, and because he managed to survive, made a vow to himself to smile every day.

Edie has been married to Flore for 73 years, they have two sons, grandchildren and great grandchildren.”

https://tedxsydney.com/contributor/eddie-jaku/

maximus otter

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Ruthie Tompson, the last surviving person to have worked on Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, survives no more:
Article

She was 111! She worked at Disney for four decades, and also worked on projects like Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings. A genuine pioneer. RIP.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Gone to Valhalla.

Hubert Germain, the last of an elite group of decorated French Resistance fighters who helped liberate France from Nazi control in the Second World War, has died aged 101.

The French president’s office announced the death in a statement, saying Mr Germain “embodied a century of freedom”.

Born in Paris on August 6 1920, Mr Germain was taking his entry exam for France’s Naval Academy in June 1940, just after the French state capitulated to the Nazis.

“Rising from his examination table, he preferred to hand in a blank paper rather than give a blank cheque to the France that had gone to bed, that had given in to resignation and renunciation,” President Emmanuel Macron’s office said in a statement.

2.63019889.jpg
Hubert Germain watches the funeral ceremony for fellow Compagnon de la Liberation Daniel Cordier at the Invalides monument in Paris (Michel Euler/Pool/AP)

Just before his 20th birthday, Mr Germain fled to London with a ship carrying Polish troops to join General Charles de Gaulle’s Free France force. Wounded in Italy during the war, Mr Germain also fought in Egypt, Libya and what is now Syria, and took part in the “southern D-Day” Allied landings on the shores of Provence in 1944.

He was decorated by de Gaulle with the esteemed Order of the Liberation, an honour given to 1,038 people celebrated as Companions of the Liberation. Mr Germain was their last surviving member, according to the Museum of the Order of the Liberation. ...

After the war, Mr Germain served as a mayor, legislator and government minister, and took part in war commemorations until he was at least 99, decked in his uniform weighed down with medals. ...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40719681.html

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Gone to Valhalla.

Hubert Germain, the last of an elite group of decorated French Resistance fighters who helped liberate France from Nazi control in the Second World War, has died aged 101.

The French president’s office announced the death in a statement, saying Mr Germain “embodied a century of freedom”.

Born in Paris on August 6 1920, Mr Germain was taking his entry exam for France’s Naval Academy in June 1940, just after the French state capitulated to the Nazis.

“Rising from his examination table, he preferred to hand in a blank paper rather than give a blank cheque to the France that had gone to bed, that had given in to resignation and renunciation,” President Emmanuel Macron’s office said in a statement.

2.63019889.jpg
Hubert Germain watches the funeral ceremony for fellow Compagnon de la Liberation Daniel Cordier at the Invalides monument in Paris (Michel Euler/Pool/AP)

Just before his 20th birthday, Mr Germain fled to London with a ship carrying Polish troops to join General Charles de Gaulle’s Free France force. Wounded in Italy during the war, Mr Germain also fought in Egypt, Libya and what is now Syria, and took part in the “southern D-Day” Allied landings on the shores of Provence in 1944.

He was decorated by de Gaulle with the esteemed Order of the Liberation, an honour given to 1,038 people celebrated as Companions of the Liberation. Mr Germain was their last surviving member, according to the Museum of the Order of the Liberation. ...

After the war, Mr Germain served as a mayor, legislator and government minister, and took part in war commemorations until he was at least 99, decked in his uniform weighed down with medals. ...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40719681.html

Hubert Germain was also a Cabinet minister under Prime Minister Pierre Messmer. Here's a piece about Messmer's wartime adventures:

In the outbreak of World War II, he was sous-lieutenant of the 12th regiment of Senegalese tirailleurs, and refused France's capitulation after the defeat.[1] He then hijacked in Marseille an Italian cargo ship (the Capo Olmo), along with his friend Jean Simon (a future French General), and sailed first to Gibraltar, then London and engaged himself in the Free French Forces as a member of the 13th Demi-Brigade of the French Foreign Legion.[1][2] Messmer then participated to the campaign in Eritrea, in Syria, in Libya, participating to the Battle of Bir Hakeim, and in the Tunisia campaign.[1] He also fought at the Battle of El Alamein in Egypt.[3] He joined in London General Koenig's military staff and participated in the landings in Normandy in August 1944 and the Liberation of Paris.[1]

Vardoger

Make mine a 99
Reaction score

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I see composer and musician Alan Hawkshaw died at the weekend, aged 84. His Fortean connection? He wrote the music for Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World, therefore responsible for giving a generation of kids the heebie-jeebies (technical term). RIP.

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Colin Powell, military leader and first Black US secretary of state, dies after complications from Covid-19​

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/18/politics/colin-powell-dies/index.html
He was vaxxed. Antivaxxers will go crazy without considering his age.
I wonder if he wore a mask when he went out? Getting vaccinated doesn't mean you're invincible, it means you're more likely to survive if you get the virus. Powell didn't, and that's a shame. RIP.
I saw an editorial that explained the apparent contradiction between the facts that vaccination reduces your chance of catching the disease or dying if you do, and that a large number of recent deaths have been among the vaccinated. It comes down to age. People in their 80s and higher are much, much more likely to die if the get the disease. The vaccines do protect them as a group, but the effects of the disease among them - even when attenuated by the vaccines - are worse than among younger people.

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I see composer and musician Alan Hawkshaw died at the weekend, aged 84. His Fortean connection? He wrote the music for Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World, therefore responsible for giving a generation of kids the heebie-jeebies (technical term). RIP.

A Library Music legend.

And one of the good guys.