Rest In Peace: The R.I.P. Thread

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
(Tilburg fair icon 'Air rifle Ria' van Dijk (101) passed away)

Look at the pictures and the video!

In her hometown Tilburg, Ria van Dijk died at the age of 101, better known as 'Luchtbuks Ria'. She was a household name at the fair in Tilburg, where she was a loyal customer of the shooting gallery for more than eighty years. Photographs of her sharp shots were on display at exhibitions at home and abroad.

Van Dijk had learned to fire with an air rifle from her brother at a young age. At the time of 16 she visited a shooting gallery at the fair for the first time. She had a picture taken of herself and took it home.

The visit to the shooting ranges became a tradition. Every year, with the exception of the war years, a fairground photo was added, which Van Dijk carefully preserved.

When a Tilburg photographer found out in 2006 and saw how the photo series gave an image of the time, he thought that everyone should be able to see the photos. The snapshots were hung at an exhibition about the Tilburg fair.

On her hundredth birthday, in June last year, there was no fair in Tilburg due to corona. That is why a shooting gallery came to the care center where she lived.

Ria van Dijk remained unmarried throughout her life and had no children. She did have an explanation for the latter, she told Kermis FM in 2016. "Some people do sex, I shoot."

https://nos.nl/artikel/2406203-tilburgs-kermisicoon-luchtbuks-ria-van-dijk-101-overleden

Last edited by a moderator:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
(Tilburg fair icon 'Air rifle Ria' van Dijk (101) passed away)

Look at the pictures and the video!

In her hometown Tilburg, Ria van Dijk died at the age of 101, better known as 'Luchtbuks Ria'. She was a household name at the fair in Tilburg, where she was a loyal customer of the shooting gallery for more than eighty years. Photographs of her sharp shots were on display at exhibitions at home and abroad.

Van Dijk had learned to fire with an air rifle from her brother at a young age. At the time of 16 she visited a shooting gallery at the fair for the first time. She had a picture taken of herself and took it home.

The visit to the shooting ranges became a tradition. Every year, with the exception of the war years, a fairground photo was added, which Van Dijk carefully preserved.

When a Tilburg photographer found out in 2006 and saw how the photo series gave an image of the time, he thought that everyone should be able to see the photos. The snapshots were hung at an exhibition about the Tilburg fair.

On her hundredth birthday, in June last year, there was no fair in Tilburg due to corona. That is why a shooting gallery came to the care center where she lived.

Ria van Dijk remained unmarried throughout her life and had no children. She did have an explanation for the latter, she told Kermis FM in 2016. "Some people do sex, I shoot."

https://nos.nl/artikel/2406203-tilburgs-kermisicoon-luchtbuks-ria-van-dijk-101-overleden
What an amazing lady.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
David Longdon, lead vocalist, guitarist and keyboard player with Prog Rockers Big Big Train died yesterday at the age of 56, following an accident at his home.

Whilst I wasn't acquainted with all of their work, a couple of their more epic tracks made it onto my playlist.

East Coast Racer is a good example of their music. Inspired by the Mallard locomotive's speed record, It's 15 minutes of very English pastoral prog rock with a vaguely Gabriel-era Genesis vibe, but interspersed with hints of Dream Theatre guitar riffing.

Dave.JPG

I will be checking out BBT's back catalogue - a shame it took a death to raise the profile of this very interesting band.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
전두환 / Chun Doo-hwan, former military strongman/dictator died today at 90. It was blood cancer that did for him, but he was in poor health generally.

I shan't be mourning, but it does seem to be one of those end of an era events for Korea.

Even in recent years his name would crop up in the news a few times annually in connection with the interminable court cases against him with reference to the Gwangju massacre, defamation and his memoirs, and he supposedly managed to ferret away a lot of money (we'll never know) and also retained some loyal supporters. Even his foes might concede that a man who was handed a death penalty at one stage had played his hand as well as anybody could.

South Korea, it seems, needed a 'Truth & Reconciliation' process at a time where such a thing had not really entered political consciousness (via South Africa, of course); what it got was a series of squalid back-room agreements of less corrupt men demanding money and apologies from more corrupt men in return for pardons and blind eyes—not much actual justice.

Let's be charitable and hope he puts in a more creditable performance in the next life.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I met Sir John at an archival seminar held at the National Archives in Kew in 2001. Very approachable, he chatted with me about his time at the NIO and how he was faced with a crisis regarding IRA bomb attacks on his first day in office. His bodyguard was also quite friendly, pouring wine for all of us at lunch but abstaining himself.

John Chilcot obituary: British civil servant who played key role in NI peace process​

Celebrated public servant was also known for his penetrating inquiry into Iraq War​

Sat, Oct 30, 2021, 08:00

Sir John Chilcot challenged established ideas about Northern Ireland among British policymakers. File photograph: Dan Kitwood/Getty Images

Sir John Chilcot challenged established ideas about Northern Ireland among British policymakers. File photograph: Dan Kitwood/Getty Images

Born: April 22nd, 1939
Died: October 3rd, 2021

Civil servants don’t spring instantly to mind when we think of peacemaking but Sir John Chilcot’s role in the Northern Ireland peace process demonstrates the vital importance of public officials who are prepared to advocate bold moves. Since his death from kidney disease earlier this month aged 82 he has been remembered above all for his 2016 report on the Iraq War. But his proudest achievement was his contribution to the Northern Ireland peace process. As permanent undersecretary in the Northern Ireland Office from 1990 to 1997 he oversaw back-channel contact with Sinn Féin when it was a high-risk endeavour. When that channel was exposed in November 1993 it looked as though it might topple the British government.

Chilcot was in the official box in the House of Commons when then secretary of state for Northern Ireland Sir Patrick Mayhew stood up to explain what had been going on. “My heart was in my mouth,” he recalled in an interview last year. “It wasn’t known whether the House of Commons would call for . . . [Mayhew’s] head on a platter and possibly John Major’s as well.” Instead, as Chilcot recalled, MPs rose up to say, “Thank God. This is the right thing to be doing.” Chilcot felt a sense “of immense relief and . . . elation really, that it really looked as though the thing was going to take wing and, who knows, succeed.”

Working closely with secretaries of state Peter Brooke and Mayhew, Chilcot played a decisive part in initiating and sustaining the peace process. Two key moments illustrate his approach.

After retired MI6 officer Michael Oatley met secretly and on his own initiative with Sinn Féin’s Martin McGuinness in late 1990 or early 1991, he reported the meeting to Chilcot and told him republicans were open to peace. A different permanent undersecretary might have been dismissive. Instead Chilcot built on Oatley’s meeting by advocating a bold and risky initiative: the appointment of a British intelligence officer to open a secret back-channel to Sinn Féin. In doing so he worked closely with MI5 officer John Deverell, the director and co-ordinator of Intelligence Northern Ireland.
user-sync

A second key moment arrived in late February 1993 when Deverell brought Chilcot a message. Purportedly from the republican leadership, it said: “The conflict is over but we need your . . . advice on how to bring it to a close.” Chilcot and Deverell had to decide how to present the message to their colleagues: “. . . the first thing of course was to make sure that the secretary of state was made aware of it, but [we had to consider] how to handle it on a wider Whitehall basis and how much credence to put on it.”

There was much debate as to whether the message was genuine (it wasn’t) but Chilcot did not rest great weight on this: “It didn’t matter so much whether it was a true bill as coming straight from the IRA as that it opened the door a little bit to constructive dialogue and to response. So we in effect decided to take it as if it was valid.” By taking this approach Chilcot and Deverell opened the way to rapid progress and ultimately to an IRA ceasefire. ...

Chilcot retired from the Northern Ireland Office in December 1997 but never stopped working. Successive governments called on him to take up a series of public roles, including a five-year term (1999 to 2004) as staff counsellor to MI5 and MI6, handling complaints from members of the intelligence services about their work and conditions.

n 2009 he was appointed by then British prime minister Gordon Brown to chair an inquiry into the Iraq War. From the outset Chilcot asserted the independence of the inquiry. ...

Confounding the expectations of some that he would be a “safe pair of hands” and would produce a whitewash, Chilcot’s report presented a penetrating analysis of what went wrong. It confirmed that the UK had not exhausted the possibilities for a peaceful resolution when they went to war, that the legal basis for war was far from satisfactory and that the UK’s actions undermined the authority of the UN Security Council. Unusually for a public inquiry, it located much of the responsibility at the top. It went some considerable way to satisfying public and political demands for a clear apportioning of responsibility. ...

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...played-key-role-in-ni-peace-process-1.4712035

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The American composer and songwriter Stephen Sondheim has died at his home in Connecticut aged 91, according to the New York Times. He was a titan of musical theatre who turned the unlikeliest of subjects into entertainment landmarks.

Composer Stephen Sondheim dies at 91 - US media https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52125017

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
The American composer and songwriter Stephen Sondheim has died at his home in Connecticut aged 91, according to the New York Times. He was a titan of musical theatre who turned the unlikeliest of subjects into entertainment landmarks.

Composer Stephen Sondheim dies at 91 - US media https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52125017

An actual genius. I can't claim to be an expert on him, but folks here would like his murder mystery movie The Last of Sheila, which he wrote with Anthony Perkins, it's a cracker. RIP, absolute gent by all accounts.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Sad to hear glamour model Mary Collinson, twin sister of Madeleine, has died at 69. They were the first twins in Playboy, but more importantly for us they starred in Hammer's Twins of Evil, which is really pretty good. RIP.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
A bit late, but RIP Alan Lancaster, Status Quo's original bassist. Absolutely essential to their original success before they started doing ballads and stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Lancaster

Taken out by MS, horrible thing.

For some years - and all of my semi-pro career - my bass was one I bought second hand from him. It's now been passed on to a younger generation and still working away despite being 50 years old.

It's the one on the left here - I added the skull and swords - it's Calico Jack Rackham's flag from before Jack Sparrow was heard of.

1638115547673.png

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
RIP Sir Frank Williams.
A real 'giant' not only in British motorsport, but worldwide in Formula 1 for many, many years.
A 'legend' if you will.
He overcame adversity after crashing his hire car in 1986 which broke his neck, leaving him a quadriplegic, but after months of recovery he returned to managing the F1 team he loved.
He, and his daughter Claire (who had been managing the team for a few years) only stepped away from the sport in 2019, selling it on to a firm which retained the family name.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59453378

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score

skinny

Porpoise
Reaction score
RIP Sir Frank.

They don't make em like him anymore.
Sir Frank's life was all the more extraordinary because of the horrific car crash he suffered in France that left him with injuries so devastating doctors considered turning off his life-support machine.

But his wife Virginia ordered that her husband be kept alive and his sheer determination and courage — characteristics that personified his career — enabled him to continue with the love of his life, albeit from the confines of a wheelchair.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11...-founder-of-williams-racing-dies-79/100657556
RIP

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
In a slight coincidence, the first I heard of Virgil Abloh was last night at about 2AM London time, during an interview by Kanye West where he talked about how they were colleagues and friends, (in the present tense.)

This evening I heard that Abloh passed away in his 40's from cancer.

He was a massive influence for those in fashion, a world I know next to nothing about.

https://news.sky.com/story/virgil-a...fashion-label-off-white-dies-aged-41-12481915

And farewell to Sir Frank Williams.
Many Sunday afternoons, or late nights, watching Nigel Mansell on TV, with Sir Frank's determined eyes not missing a thing.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score

Sillyhuron

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Loved him in THE LAST WAVE. Terrified kid hiding a cosmic secret. And when he made fun of himself in CROCODILE DUNDEE.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
A fine actor, RIP

Sir Antony Sher: Actor dies of cancer aged 72​

Published26 minutes ago

Veteran actor Sir Antony Sher has died of cancer aged 72, the Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) has announced.
He was widely regarded as one of the country's finest contemporary classical actors, with a long association with the company.
Its artistic director and Sir Antony's husband, Gregory Doran, had taken compassionate leave to care for him.
The company said it was "deeply saddened" by the news.
"Our thoughts and sincere condolences are with Greg, and with Antony's family and their friends at this devastating time," added Catherine Mallyon, RSC executive director and Erica Whyman, acting artistic director.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59520117

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Marvelous luvvie actor too, never saw him on the stage, but I saw him in the occasional film. Stage was where he was best, I believe, sad to think all those great performances are only memories now (unless he was recorded for a few?). RIP.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
He left school at 15 and first worked in archaeology as a labourer on digs.

Prof George Eogan

Born: September 14, 1930 Died: November 18, 2021

Prof George Eogan, the internationally renowned archaeologist and former professor of archaeology at University College Dublin (UCD) whose dedicated excavations at Knowth helped bring international attention to the monuments of the World Heritage Site at Bru na Boinne has died aged 91.

Dr Pat Wallace, former director of the National Museum said Eogan was “the most influential archaeologist that Ireland has ever produced”.

Eogan was a leading scholar of Neolithic and Bronze Age Europe with a particular focus on the bronze and gold objects of these periods. His research into the Neolithic passage tombs of Ireland and western Europe saw him direct over 40 years of archaeological excavations at the Knowth passage tombs in Co Meath.

He was one of the first people in modern times to enter the two great passage tombs of the Great Mound at Knowth. In a later interview, he said, “to have had the privilege of entering these tombs is for me one of the great events that one could ever experience”. These two tombs which he and his team discovered in 1967 and 1968 are the longest passage tombs ever found in western Europe.

Eogan went on to discover many other smaller tombs and uncover an open air gallery of ancient megalithic art, the abundance and quality of which is unparalleled anywhere else in the world. The decorated macehead found in the eastern tomb at Knowth – which is on permanent display in the National Museum – is one of the finest artefacts ever recovered from a Neolithic site.

In 1991, when Knowth opened to the public for the first time, Eogan helped train the Office of Public Works guides at the site. That same year, he became the founding chairman of the Discovery Programme, a Heritage Council funded initiative which promotes archaeological research and education. In 2007, he was awarded the Royal Irish Academy Gold Medal in the Humanities in 2007. ...

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...o-unearthed-passage-tombs-of-knowth-1.4738967

Last edited:

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
Kristin Baybars, aged 85, ran a workshop and toy shop in Gospel Oak (London). A skilled needlecraft and woodworker, she invented the Ostrobogulous toys in the 1960s, which included a green Humpty-Dumpty-like creation that went on to find glory in Play School as Humpty.
Even more impressive, Kristen also wore a pair of trousers she'd made that had 25 pockets to carry tools, toys and spare parts.
An inspiration. RIP.

Kristin-Baybars-1.jpg

http://camdennewjournal.com/article/tributes-to-kristin-baybars-the-toymaker-with-a-shop-of-dreams

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Richard Cole, Led Zeppelin's legendary tour manager

He was the inspiration for the character of the manager of 'Spinal Tap', Ian Faith.
He was played by Tony Hendra, who also passed away on March 4th this year, at the age of 80.

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Bob Dole, giant of the Senate and 1996 Republican presidential nominee, dies​

(CNN) - Bob Dole, a Republican Party stalwart and presidential hopeful who espoused a brand of plain-spoken conservativism as one of Washington's most recognizable political figures throughout the latter half of the 20th century, died Sunday.
"Senator Robert Joseph Dole died early this morning in his sleep. At his death, at age 98, he had served the United States of America faithfully for 79 years," according to a statement from his family.
He had announced in February that he was being treated for advanced lung cancer. President Joe Biden visited Dole shortly after learning of the diagnosis.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/05/politics/bob-dole-dies/index.html